BVA vs OFA

All topics pertaining to health and diseases that may affect your Tamaskan Dog, as well as treatment.
balto13
Tamtastic (Apprentice)
Tamtastic (Apprentice)

BVA vs OFA

Post by balto13 » Tue Apr 22, 2014 6:19 pm

I know if neither are available some countries can use similar tests, but in general is there a reason why a person might hip test their dog with BVA over OFA?

just to add in, found this site interesting http://www.gocco.co.za/hd_gradings.htm

arianwenarie
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Re: BVA vs OFA

Post by arianwenarie » Tue Apr 22, 2014 6:59 pm

From what I was told, OFA only grades by Excellent, Good, Fair, Borderline, Moderate and Severe. The chart in the link you provided approximates the so-called equivalent scores from different entities. The BVA will score each hip and you can add up the scores on both hips for the final hip score number - this is more detailed than what the OFA will give you.

http://rrcus.org/rhodesianridgebackheal ... 0Table.htm
Based on a different chart of the equivalents (see link above), OFA Excellent could mean BVA 0-4, OFA Good = BVA 5-10, and OFA Fair = BVA 11-18. A breeder could have a dog with OFA Fair to OFA Good. The dog with OFA Fair could have BVA 18 hips with one hip being very bad - maybe R hip 10 and L hip 8. While the dog with OFA Good also have the highest BVA equivalent score of BVA 10 and also have bad R hip of, say, 8. Then, a puppy from that litter may have failing hips when tested with the BVA because he/she inherit parents' bad R hips and have 18 on the R hip. Per TDR, BVA 18 is highest score that they'll accept.

In short, BVA will give you numbers rather than a range to grade hips and give the breeder a better picture of which hip, if any, is better so that they can pick another dog that will complement theirs in terms of hip score. Example, a dog with 4R and 1L (BVA 5) would probably want to pair with a dog with 0R and 3L (BVA 4) to, hopefully, cancel it out. But hey, dog genetics is never that straightforward and simple. :lol:

balto13
Tamtastic (Apprentice)
Tamtastic (Apprentice)

Post by balto13 » Tue Apr 22, 2014 7:32 pm

arianwenarie wrote:From what I was told, OFA only grades by Excellent, Good, Fair, Borderline, Moderate and Severe. The chart in the link you provided approximates the so-called equivalent scores from different entities. The BVA will score each hip and you can add up the scores on both hips for the final hip score number - this is more detailed than what the OFA will give you.

http://rrcus.org/rhodesianridgebackheal ... 0Table.htm
Based on a different chart of the equivalents (see link above), OFA Excellent could mean BVA 0-4, OFA Good = BVA 5-10, and OFA Fair = BVA 11-18. A breeder could have a dog with OFA Fair to OFA Good. The dog with OFA Fair could have BVA 18 hips with one hip being very bad - maybe R hip 10 and L hip 8. While the dog with OFA Good also have the highest BVA equivalent score of BVA 10 and also have bad R hip of, say, 8. Then, a puppy from that litter may have failing hips when tested with the BVA because he/she inherit parents' bad R hips and have 18 on the R hip. Per TDR, BVA 18 is highest score that they'll accept.

In short, BVA will give you numbers rather than a range to grade hips and give the breeder a better picture of which hip, if any, is better so that they can pick another dog that will complement theirs in terms of hip score. Example, a dog with 4R and 1L (BVA 5) would probably want to pair with a dog with 0R and 3L (BVA 4) to, hopefully, cancel it out. But hey, dog genetics is never that straightforward and simple. :lol:
I understood a majority of that prior too ;) maybe I asked my question wrong? why would somebody chose one over the other? is it generally a preference on the feedback? is there a price difference? is there more professionalism in one over the other? is there faster results?

arianwenarie
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by arianwenarie » Tue Apr 22, 2014 8:25 pm

balto13 wrote:I understood a majority of that prior too ;) maybe I asked my question wrong? why would somebody chose one over the other? is it generally a preference on the feedback? is there a price difference? is there more professionalism in one over the other? is there faster results?
From what I've seen, I think some vets (in the US anyway) do not wish to go through the process of submitting x-rays to BVA to be scored and rather have it done by OFA, which is the scoring entity for the US. The results for OFA may be faster for those in the US because it's local.

I think this is what happens when a US owner wants to score with BVA: The vet must order the forms from the BVA, vet must fill it out and submit the x-rays and forms to BVA. BVA will then score it and send results back to the vet. There is shipping involved and more communication and time differences - more factors than if the vet were to more easily deal with OFA. lol.

Booma
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Booma » Tue Apr 22, 2014 10:21 pm

I believe also, that the bva allows dogs to be scored from 1yr where the ofa is 2 yrs - they can be scored before that, but test results are only "preliminary" and need to be redone after 2.
Image Image

arianwenarie
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by arianwenarie » Tue Apr 22, 2014 10:24 pm

Booma wrote:I believe also, that the bva allows dogs to be scored from 1yr where the ofa is 2 yrs - they can be scored before that, but test results are only "preliminary" and need to be redone after 2.
Yep. That's correct...forgot about that tidbit. lol.

Hawthorne
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Hawthorne » Fri Apr 25, 2014 11:23 pm

Personally I feel that the process BVA does is less subjective than the process of hip scoring that OFA does. If you read the procedure notes of how each organization scores hips BVA just seems more scientific to me.
Tracy Graziano
http://www.hawthornetamaskan.com

bark as if no one can hear you
catch the ball on the fly
lick like there's no end to kissing
sleep on a sofa nearby
jump like the sky is the limit
sit by the fire with friends
stay with the ones who love you
run like the road never ends