General Health Tests

All topics pertaining to health and diseases that may affect your Tamaskan Dog, as well as treatment.
BlossomB
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

General Health Tests

Post by BlossomB » Tue Sep 24, 2013 7:35 am

Hey all!

Okay, so I know a parts of my question are already answered in some of the topics under "health" but my question is a bit more broad, so please bear with me :)

First of all, what are the general health issues tested for and why? From the breeders I have seen in TDR, most test for the following: HIP, TDR, HD, DM

My Questions:

1) what are other common health tests performed and why are they chosen (is it because they are most common diseases or maybe because they are required to be tested..etc?)
2) I know a little about HIP and DM, but what about the other 2? I have never heard of HD
3) What do their scores mean and how should I interpret them? I tried to research BVA and FCI, but have had no luck understanding everything..

I'm sorry to ask such a long question, but any help would be appreciated! Even if you can just link me to a good website :) good health in a dog is very important to me, which is why I am so happy TDR promotes responsible breeders. In particular, because my last dog suffered from hip dysplasia (something pretty much all larger dogs are susceptible to), understanding HIP health results and what the numbers mean is one that is really important to me!

weylyn

Re: General Health Tests

Post by weylyn » Tue Sep 24, 2013 8:52 am

The mandatory tests by the TDR ( Tamaskan Dog Register) are : Hips, DM and DNA profiling

HD is just short for the hip test ;)
This is the score sceme;
In the TDR you may not breed with a dog that scores above OFA-F, FCI-B1, BVA 18 or SV-normal.

Other common tests are Dwarfism, CERF( or ECVO) that is the eye test. Some do BEAR( for deafness) and a few started with the new tests from MyDogDna ( http://www.mydogdna.com/)

The reason the breeders that do these tests are because they think it is necessary because of the background they have in their lines.
Dwarfism and eye disease are common among Malamute's, Husky's, Saarloos, CwD etc. Deafness is common among Malamutes
And the MyDogDna test test 100 differents things but among that there is also the dwarfism and a DNA profiling and coat genetic.

Tiantai
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Tiantai » Tue Sep 24, 2013 8:36 pm

To someone who speak German as I am still a beginner:
Does "fast normal" mean intermediate? I know what the others mean but just confused on that one.

BlossomB
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by BlossomB » Tue Sep 24, 2013 10:31 pm

Wow, thank you so much Weylyn! What a brief, yet detailed explination....that was perfect!
I was so worried my question wouldn't be simple to answer :P

So to test myself....looking at OFA scores, a dog that scored E could be breed with a dog that scored an F according to TDR?

arianwenarie
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by arianwenarie » Tue Sep 24, 2013 11:35 pm

BlossomB wrote:Wow, thank you so much Weylyn! What a brief, yet detailed explination....that was perfect!
I was so worried my question wouldn't be simple to answer :P

So to test myself....looking at OFA scores, a dog that scored B could be breed with a dog that scored an S according to TDR?
For OFA scores, the only acceptable scores would be Excellent (E), Good (G) and Fair (F). Anything below that in the OFA column would be considered a failing score. That being said, a dog scoring Borderline (B) would not be approved for breeding and breeding with a dog that scored Severe (S) would be disastrous.

I believe the general rule is to always breed your dog to a dog with a better score. i.e. if your dog is OFA Fair (F), then you'd ideally want to match him/her to a dog who scored OFA Good (G) or OFA Excellent (E)..all else equal, that is. ;)

arianwenarie
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by arianwenarie » Wed Sep 25, 2013 2:59 am

To further clarify the other two health tests required by the TDR: DM & DNA Profiling

DM - Degenerative Myelopathy
This is a debilitating disease where a DNA test was recently developed in either 2009 or 2010. This test was originally voluntary until some breeders tested their breeding dogs (or potential breeding dogs) and found out that their dog is "At Risk" (A/A) and carries two copies of the abnormal gene. This puts the dog at greater risk of being affected by this disease. After that, the TDR decided this test would be mandatory and that at least one dog from a breeding pair must be tested as DM Clear (N/N) to prevent more "At Risk" puppies.

More info here: http://www.tamaskan-forum.com/viewtopic ... it=DM+test
and here: http://www.caninegeneticdiseases.net/DM/basicDM.htm

DNA Profiling
All the foundation dogs were DNA profiled in an effort to prevent falsification of pedigrees. This test is able to prove the ancestry of each dog and thus, parentage.

BlossomB
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by BlossomB » Wed Sep 25, 2013 5:06 am

@arianwenarie - Okay, yeah, I read it wrong the first time -_-" haha okay, so an "F" could be matched with a "G". I think I get it now, thank you!! :)

So TDR pretty much adds more as different genetic disorders come up, huh? DM looks so awful :(

Thank you as well for more info!

arianwenarie
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by arianwenarie » Wed Sep 25, 2013 6:07 am

BlossomB wrote:So TDR pretty much adds more as different genetic disorders come up, huh? DM looks so awful :(
Pretty much. Some breeders prefer to do more tests, but so far the TDR only requires those 3 tests to be done. If there is ever a DNA test for cryptorchidism or epilepsy, I'm pretty sure the TDR will be all over it. :P

Tiantai
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Tiantai » Wed Sep 25, 2013 3:08 pm

And I do hope they are available in the future