Known health issues?

All topics pertaining to health and diseases that may affect your Tamaskan Dog, as well as treatment.
Tankerman
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Known health issues?

Post by Tankerman » Sat Aug 24, 2013 4:56 am

Hi, I am looking for a summary or list of all known health issues for the Tamaskan and it's general health status. I was attracted to the breed for it's looks, but I think the breeders don't want to breed just for looks (that would be irresponsible anyway), but also to have sound health and temperament as well. So just want to have a clear idea of the major health issues and their prevalence within the breed?

HiTenshi16
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Re: Known health issues?

Post by HiTenshi16 » Sat Aug 24, 2013 7:31 am

In some lines, there were Addison's Disease, Epilepsy, Hip Dysplasia, and Chryptordism (the main ones I remember off the top of my head). When the database was up, you can see which dogs were documented with one or more of these health issues.

weylyn

Post by weylyn » Sat Aug 24, 2013 10:22 am

Depands on how you see health issues.
If you see it like we do there are indeed quit some like named above. Every disease we find an issue.
If you wants to know how these are compared with other breeds......than you probably get another answer.
In every breed there are issues but many breeds don't see it like that if less than 4 or 5 % of the population has it
We think different.....even if only 0,5 % or even just 1 or 2 dogs have it I personal think it is an issue, when 1% has it luckily most tamaskan people feel it is an issue

Tankerman
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by Tankerman » Sat Aug 24, 2013 3:21 pm

Thanks. So I gather the health issues, while it exists for the Tamaskan (as is the case for most other breeds), is not too bad compared to some other more "established" breeds. I know some popular breeds had serious health and temperament issues from excessive inbreeding or unscrupulous breeding. Glad to hear the Tamaskan don't seem to have such problems yet.

Booma
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Booma » Sat Aug 24, 2013 3:33 pm

There are waaay less tamaskan than .... say Labrador. So I would say that the health issues the tamaskan has is a bigger deal when compared to an established breed, as there are less dogs to choose from to help breed these problems out.
Image Image

Tankerman
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by Tankerman » Sat Aug 24, 2013 3:53 pm

Good point Kylier. I'm no genetics expert, but I do know enough to realize many health issues of other breeds can be traced to a too-small foundation stock and too much inbreeding. I don't know about the Tamaskan's history and breeding, but it seems you guys are working hard to make sure the same health issues that plague certain popular breeds don't plague the Tamaskan as well. Keep ensuring the sound health of the breed!

weylyn

Post by weylyn » Sat Aug 24, 2013 6:18 pm

Kylievr wrote:There are waaay less tamaskan than .... say Labrador. So I would say that the health issues the tamaskan has is a bigger deal when compared to an established breed, as there are less dogs to choose from to help breed these problems out.
Yes and no. The answer would be yes if we are talking about being it an recognized breed with a closed studbook. But because it is not the answer is no because we have way more dogs than a breed that has a closed studbook. We just call that outcrossing ;)
That is why we want to know as much as we can on the outcross you want to use. That is also why outcross should have much more healthtest before bringing in that the mandatory tests for the tamaskans.

Tiantai
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Tiantai » Sun Aug 25, 2013 12:54 am

Some lines are affected by/carriers of DM which I believe the breeders are working to try and breed it out

arianwenarie
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by arianwenarie » Sun Aug 25, 2013 12:59 am

Tiantai wrote:Some lines are affected by/carriers of DM which I believe the breeders are working to try and breed it out
To clarify what Lucas means, there are at least two TDR registered dogs that have been tested "At Risk" for Degenerative Myelopathy (DM), but do not show symptoms. There are also some lines that have dogs that have been tested as "Carriers" for DM.

TDR breeding rules state that at least one TDR parent must be clear of DM to prevent more possibilities of pups being tested for "At Risk".

weylyn

Post by weylyn » Sun Aug 25, 2013 1:10 am

arianwenarie wrote:
Tiantai wrote:Some lines are affected by/carriers of DM which I believe the breeders are working to try and breed it out
To clarify what Lucas means, there are at least two TDR registered dogs that have been tested "At Risk" for Degenerative Myelopathy (DM), but do not show symptoms. There are also some lines that have dogs that have been tested as "Carriers" for DM.

TDR breeding rules state that at least one TDR parent must be clear of DM to prevent more possibilities of pups being tested for "At Risk".
No Lucas says it just as it is ;) Like I want it out of my line for the future so that means that my carrier boy when all okay will mate with my free girl ONLY free pups will go to breeder homes and I am even thinking about getting it in my contract that they may not mate with carriers....but that is still on my thinking desk

arianwenarie
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by arianwenarie » Sun Aug 25, 2013 3:00 am

weylyn wrote:
arianwenarie wrote:

No Lucas says it just as it is ;) Like I want it out of my line for the future so that means that my carrier boy when all okay will mate with my free girl ONLY free pups will go to breeder homes and I am even thinking about getting it in my contract that they may not mate with carriers....but that is still on my thinking desk
lol. I didn't realize he edited his post to add "by/carriers"... my bad. Sorry Lucas! :oops:

Tankerman
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by Tankerman » Sun Aug 25, 2013 5:01 am

Thanks for all the replies so far! Much appreciated! What sort of health screening tests would you recommend if I were intent on buying a pup (I haven't made up my mind yet, but assuming if I were)? Thanks. For example, would a breeder assist in arranging the following to meet vaccine requirments of a country:

Dated not more than 14 days
before the departure of the
animal(s) certifying that the
animal is free from any clinical
signs of infectious or contagious
disease, fit to travel and is either
not pregnant or less than 4
weeks pregnant if it is a female.
The certificate must be positively
correlated to the animals being
certified by including the
identifying microchip details. (9

Certifying that the animal
has been continuously
residing in the country/place
of origin during the
preceding 180 days, or since
birth, prior to departure from
that country. The area
within 10km of the animal
premises has been free of
reported cases of rabies in
any animals (excluding bats)
during the preceding 180
days from the date of
departure.

Certifying, with full details of
vaccine(s):
that the
animal has been vaccinated against
rabies less than one year and more
than 30 days prior to departure. In
the case of primary vaccination the
animal was at least 90 days old when
vaccinated.

showing a
good history of anti-rabies
vaccination (with details) extending
back over a period of more than 1
year (or since puppyhood or
kittenhood) be included.

Certifying that the animal has been
vaccinated against the following
canine/feline infectious diseases not
less than 14 days and not more than 1
year before coming to Hong Kong:

canine distemper,
infectious canine
hepatitis and canine
parvovirus.

Certifying that the animals have
travelled the entire journey on one
aircraft without leaving the aircraft
enroute and/or without any
stopping/changing-over in a
country/place of lower health
status; and were not in contact
with any other animals.

Booma
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Booma » Sun Aug 25, 2013 9:03 am

You will have to find a breeder willing to send you a pup. You can arrange with that breeder to pay them to take the pup to the extra vet appointments (if they agree to do it) and will have to pay yourself for any additional tests your country needs before import.
Image Image

balto13
Tamtastic (Apprentice)
Tamtastic (Apprentice)

Post by balto13 » Sun Aug 25, 2013 11:04 am

Kylievr wrote:You will have to find a breeder willing to send you a pup.
that will be the hardest part as a majority will not send pups to Asian countries, it was very hard for me to find breeders willing to ship to Japan

Tankerman
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by Tankerman » Sun Aug 25, 2013 11:10 am

Why is that the case? Onerous regulations? Unfamiliar culture? Difficulty with shipping across such distances? Or plain prejudice?

weylyn

Post by weylyn » Sun Aug 25, 2013 11:11 am

balto13 wrote:
that will be the hardest part as a majority will not send pups to Asian countries, it was very hard for me to find breeders willing to ship to Japan
It is not only that a breeder is willing or not. There are breeders that are willing but because of the extra's those woofers need ( like sometimes staying longer with the breeder because of some rules where it is going etc) most breeders aren't in a luxury that they can have several dogs from 1 litter that they can do that with.....( mhhhh did I made myself clear here??? )

Booma
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Booma » Sun Aug 25, 2013 11:49 am

When I got my boy only one breeder was willing to keep a pup for 9 months (stupid Australia changing its rules).
Image Image

balto13
Tamtastic (Apprentice)
Tamtastic (Apprentice)

Post by balto13 » Sun Aug 25, 2013 11:03 pm

weylyn wrote:
balto13 wrote:
It is not only that a breeder is willing or not. There are breeders that are willing but because of the extra's those woofers need ( like sometimes staying longer with the breeder because of some rules where it is going etc) most breeders aren't in a luxury that they can have several dogs from 1 litter that they can do that with.....( mhhhh did I made myself clear here??? )

I do not understand because I don't think Asian countries are like AUS. A puppy can come to Japan at 8 weeks - so logistically a breeder wouldn't have to hold into a puppy longer I dont know if its that way in China, or other countries but I haven't heard of it. Those rules are usually for rabies free countries.

Like i said, many breeders will not ship to Asia there is a whole topic about it on the forum. But, to each their own comfort zone.

Booma
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Booma » Mon Aug 26, 2013 1:28 am

balto13 wrote: I do not understand because I don't think Asian countries are like AUS. A puppy can come to Japan at 8 weeks - so logistically a breeder wouldn't have to hold into a puppy longer I dont know if its that way in China, or other countries but I haven't heard of it. Those rules are usually for rabies free countries.

Like i said, many breeders will not ship to Asia there is a whole topic about it on the forum. But, to each their own comfort zone.

Part of what tankernan wrote said pups must be at least 90 days old before having rabies shot. That's 3 months. Another part said 180 days. This sounds very much like the rules for aus.
Image Image

Tankerman
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by Tankerman » Mon Aug 26, 2013 2:12 am

Kylievr wrote:
balto13 wrote: I do not understand because I don't think Asian countries are like AUS. A puppy can come to Japan at 8 weeks - so logistically a breeder wouldn't have to hold into a puppy longer I dont know if its that way in China, or other countries but I haven't heard of it. Those rules are usually for rabies free countries.

Part of what tankernan wrote said pups must be at least 90 days old before having rabies shot. That's 3 months. Another part said 180 days. This sounds very much like the rules for aus.
I think there might be exemptions to such requirements, depending on the circumstances. But if not, would it be possible, say, for the prospective owner to pay for the cost of the extra stay/health screening?

Booma
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Booma » Mon Aug 26, 2013 2:37 am

You would have to pay this yes. Anything after 8 weeks would be your responsibility including food, transportation cost etc. But as weylyn said, not all breeders are able to do this. If they want to keep a pup from the litter they will most likely not be able to keep another for someone else.
Image Image

Tankerman
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by Tankerman » Mon Aug 26, 2013 8:04 am

OK, I get the feeling breeders are hostile/unwilling to ship any dogs to this part of the world because of age requirement, at least from North America. It would be hard and unrealistic for the owner to arrange everything such as transportation and lodging from halfway around the world anyway. But my understanding is that the regulation for dogs imported from the UK is less strict:

Dogs and cats less than 60 days old or more than 4 weeks pregnant must NOT be imported.

http://www.afcd.gov.hk/english/quaranti ... jul13b.pdf

In any case, I personally think it's improper for a breeder to hand over a pup to an owner below 8 weeks of age, when it still requires the assistance of the mother, unless the Tamaskan is different.

weylyn

Post by weylyn » Mon Aug 26, 2013 8:50 am

Tankerman wrote:OK, I get the feeling breeders are hostile/unwilling to ship any dogs to this part of the world because of age requirement, at least from North America. It would be hard and unrealistic for the owner to arrange everything such as transportation and lodging from halfway around the world anyway. But my understanding is that the regulation for dogs imported from the UK is less strict:
I do not think you must see it as hostile/unwilling. It is like I said before they also must be capable for it. For instance I have no problem with shipping one pup all across the world but because of the requirements I can only do that one pup per litter. Some even don't have the capability to do that .

Tankerman
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by Tankerman » Mon Aug 26, 2013 11:11 am

Sorry for any misunderstanding. Understood. Question of capability. That would probably mean close collaboration and agreement on logistics between an owner and a breeder, and not every breeder (or owner for that matter) has the means to undertake such a task.

balto13
Tamtastic (Apprentice)
Tamtastic (Apprentice)

Post by balto13 » Mon Aug 26, 2013 11:54 am

Kylievr wrote:

ah gotcha, I do understand that a lot of breeders are unable to keep a pup for so long - it's expensive and takes up lots of room, I guess I am lucky because I live on a military installation and am allowed to do "in home quarantine" where any puppy sent to me from out of the Japan can fulfill their quarantine requirements from the comfort of my house - I just have to take the pup up to the vet for quarantine checks every 30 - 90 days ( I cannot the increments) for 6 months

Tankerman: there is somebody else who already asked about tams being sent to Asia, you can read through the topic yourself and input if you'd like

http://www.tamaskan-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=80&t=2369

Tankerman
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by Tankerman » Mon Aug 26, 2013 12:02 pm

I'm sorry to say there are some clear display of ignorance and prejudice in that earlier thread. If that is the kind of breeders I will be dealing with, then no thanks, I will find another breed. I hope that won't be the case, but to deal with people who think all Asians are dog-eaters...

weylyn

Post by weylyn » Mon Aug 26, 2013 1:13 pm

Tankerman wrote:Sorry for any misunderstanding. Understood. Question of capability. That would probably mean close collaboration and agreement on logistics between an owner and a breeder, and not every breeder (or owner for that matter) has the means to undertake such a task.
Indeed. Also most are very new in this because it is also a new breed. Of course the more the breed grow and the more breeders there will come in the future the more possibilities there would be. But at the moment it isn't that far yet ;)