Incontinence

All topics pertaining to health and diseases that may affect your Tamaskan Dog, as well as treatment.
akaye531
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Incontinence

Post by akaye531 » Sat Jun 01, 2013 6:29 pm

Recently Mowgli has begun peeing in his sleep/while lying down. We closely monitor his water intake and he shows no signs of having to go, but on a few occasions we've noticed him lying in a puddle of urine. Is this something anyone has seen before in their Tam? Besides this he's great! He is a smart, playful, and happy 8 mo old boy. He doesn't appear to be ill, but this doesn't seem normal. Any input is greatly appreciated.

Katlin
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Re: Incontinence

Post by Katlin » Sat Jun 01, 2013 11:26 pm

Definitely not normal, could be any number of things (prostate issue, potential silent seizures, ect) I don't mean to scare you but I would see a vet.
Polarose Tamaskan
Polardog Outfitters
Owner of Sierra Kaweah RN RI TDI TRN TTDN CRN-MCL @ Polarose

Tiantai
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Tiantai » Sun Jun 02, 2013 4:25 am

Doesn't prostate issues normally make it "difficult" for the dog to urinate? I hope that the source of the situation if dealt with as soon as possible

HiTenshi16
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by HiTenshi16 » Sun Jun 02, 2013 5:10 am

Has he been neutered? Our Shepherd mix, Rukia, some months after she was spayed, peed in her sleep. Did not happen all the time, maybe once a week? (long time ago, before we got Ulric, so bare with me). That lasted a few months I think, we thought about taking her to the vet, but never did since she did not do it so much.

akaye531
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by akaye531 » Sun Jun 02, 2013 8:47 pm

We took him to the vet. She took a urine sample and will send it to the lab for a urinalysis. Keeping my fingers crossed its nothing serious.

Sylvaen
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Sylvaen » Mon Jun 03, 2013 12:05 pm

Hope he will be OK... please keep us posted!
The future lies before you, like a path of pure white snow...
Be careful how you tread it, for every step will show.

akaye531
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by akaye531 » Tue Jun 04, 2013 2:46 am

The UA results from the vet came back - he has a bladder infection. We've started him on antibiotics and will check in 2 weeks to make sure the infection is gone. I'm sad that he's sick, but glad that it isn't anything too serious.

Katlin
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Katlin » Tue Jun 04, 2013 3:44 am

akaye531 wrote:The UA results from the vet came back - he has a bladder infection. We've started him on antibiotics and will check in 2 weeks to make sure the infection is gone. I'm sad that he's sick, but glad that it isn't anything too serious.
Whew! Those are pretty easy to fix. Try (when you're done with the meds) finding a food that has cranberries in it. They are full of antioxidants and help with bladder infections / urinary issues :)
Polarose Tamaskan
Polardog Outfitters
Owner of Sierra Kaweah RN RI TDI TRN TTDN CRN-MCL @ Polarose

arianwenarie
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by arianwenarie » Tue Jun 04, 2013 4:19 am

Katlin wrote:
akaye531 wrote:The UA results from the vet came back - he has a bladder infection. We've started him on antibiotics and will check in 2 weeks to make sure the infection is gone. I'm sad that he's sick, but glad that it isn't anything too serious.
Whew! Those are pretty easy to fix. Try (when you're done with the meds) finding a food that has cranberries in it. They are full of antioxidants and help with bladder infections / urinary issues :)
I think there's also specially formulated cranberry powder that you can put in their water bowl...but having it in the food is better. ;) Cranberry treats, maybe...?