Massage

All topics pertaining to health and diseases that may affect your Tamaskan Dog, as well as treatment.
Katlin
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Massage

Post by Katlin » Sun Mar 24, 2013 11:12 am

I just wanted to mention (because I know a lot of people are getting new puppies soon) that Wylie had growing pains as a puppy. They were to the point of being cripplingly painful for him and one day it would be one leg, and the next day it would be both front ones (terrible for me to watch as a mom but it must have been hell for him :( ). Sometimes (his right hind leg for example) it would last for up to a week and he would pull his whole leg up off the ground.

My point, lol, was that I tried massage on his joints and it made a heck of a difference. The last two leg pains lasted for much shorter amounts of time than the other two when I didn't try massaging him. I still give him several rubs a day, I think it's actually a good bonding time and he may even trust me more because of it - that's what I think. I also think it calms him down during bath time, instead of just scrubbing him for a 5 minute bath they normally last about 20 minutes, we really take our time and I think that's caused the fear factor to vanish almost 100% :D

Does anyone else give their doggy a massage? Have you found different results from before versus after giving them?
Polarose Tamaskan
Polardog Outfitters
Owner of Sierra Kaweah RN RI TDI TRN TTDN CRN-MCL @ Polarose

arianwenarie
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Re: Massage

Post by arianwenarie » Sun Mar 24, 2013 4:22 pm

Even though my dog isn't a lab, I do give her massages every night - it's our bonding/unwind time. Abby trusts me a lot more than before, she learns to relax and every night, she'll plop onto her "massage bed" like clockworks and stare at me until I give her a massage. It really varies each night how long I massage her for - she still hasn't relaxed to the point where she just falls asleep. lol.

I took a canine massage workshop about a year ago and learned how to give a simple massage. It was well worth the money. :) I will have to talk my friend into doing webinars. :lol:

When I get a puppy (whether it be ANCD or Tam), I do plan on having a k9 massage therapist do a session with him/her at least once a month. My friend told me a good massage therapist would be able to feel around the pup's joints (hips, elbows) to determine whether or not its bothering them - they're supposed to be well versed in a dog's structure and how they grow as well as how growing pains affect the pup and how to alleviate the pains through accupressure and therapeutic massage.

Needless to say, I'm a huge advocate of canine massage. ;) Beware though: some massage therapists use too much pressure and ends up hurting the dog instead.

Hawthorne
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Re: Massage

Post by Hawthorne » Sun Apr 07, 2013 4:58 pm

I can't resist--I have to post this. One of our puppy families has a *fantastic* business called Equinology. There is a branch that also offers courses and certification for canine body work. Find info on courses here: http://www.equinology.com/info/certification.asp (scroll to bottom)

Or find a canine body worker here: https://www.equinology.com/info/ccbwcountry.asp

If I had the time...
Tracy Graziano
http://www.hawthornetamaskan.com

bark as if no one can hear you
catch the ball on the fly
lick like there's no end to kissing
sleep on a sofa nearby
jump like the sky is the limit
sit by the fire with friends
stay with the ones who love you
run like the road never ends