Irregularity on testicle.

All topics pertaining to health and diseases that may affect your Tamaskan Dog, as well as treatment.
TerriHolt
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Irregularity on testicle.

Post by TerriHolt » Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:32 pm

I couldn't find any topic of a similar subject but if there is one feel free to move it...

Sam has an Irregularity teste... Height is the same as the other side but it seem's wider. It doesn't feel like a lump exactly, it's soft like the other side but as you move across it to the wider bit, it feels more solid (not hard solid but harder than the bit near the middle)... (he really didn't like been violated :roll: )

I'm not sure i'm explaining this right :oops: But i'm having a hard time thinking past the C word right now...

I'm hoping someone can answer me 2 questions,,,

Question 1) Besides the obvious, is there any other lumps that it could be that is not so serious... like a cyst or something? I can't get a vet's appointment till the 18th (it's not a life threatening emergency). I really hope there are other things it could be...

Question 2) I don't want to dreg up old stuff but what was it exactly that Odin Jr had? All i got told was it was a rare form of cancer. I'm just looking for a specific name just in case it's relevant and the vet needs to know.

If they tell me they need to do tests, i will just get him fixed because it will be less stressful for him. But that will mean i won't be having his hips done. I only want him to be put under the once for hips and castrating but it will take my partner a few months to save for hips (£350 for a 40kg dog and 2 plates, price will increase if dog is heavier and if more plates are needed) and i need to pay £160 for him fixing loads cheaper than my last vet, it was £500 for hips). If they suspect testicle cancer i obviously don't want to wait months...

There’s a battle between two wolves inside us all.
One is Evil. It’s anger, jealousy, greed, resentment, inferiority, lies and ego.
The other is Good. It’s joy, peace, love, hope, humility, kindness and truth.

The wolf that wins? The one you feed!

~ Cherokee Proverb

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity... I'm not sure about the former.

~ Albert Einstein

akaye531
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Re: Irregularity on testicle.

Post by akaye531 » Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:32 pm

I can't answer any of your questions, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed for Sam!

Ryphen
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by Ryphen » Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:15 am

Lumps can usually be a few things. Cysts, abscesses, granulomas, scar tissue, cancer... Most can usually be aspirated to figure out what they are if not immediately obvious upon examination. Aspiration can typically be done without any kind of sedation, but Sam may not agree with the sensitive area in question.

Katlin
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Katlin » Wed Mar 13, 2013 6:02 am

As posted before it could be something benign, like a cyst...but it should definitely be checked out sooner rather than later.

Fingers crossed!!
Polarose Tamaskan
Polardog Outfitters
Owner of Sierra Kaweah RN RI TDI TRN TTDN CRN-MCL @ Polarose

TerriHolt
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by TerriHolt » Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:24 am

Ryphen wrote:Lumps can usually be a few things. Cysts, abscesses, granulomas, scar tissue, cancer... Most can usually be aspirated to figure out what they are if not immediately obvious upon examination. Aspiration can typically be done without any kind of sedation, but Sam may not agree with the sensitive area in question.
I'll be hoping for one of these (Cysts, abscesses, granulomas, scar tissue), It's good to know there are so many more possibilities :D

We got a cancellation appointment for tonight. They called me first due to the nature of my problem. Hopefully it's one of the above...

One is Evil. It’s anger, jealousy, greed, resentment, inferiority, lies and ego.

~ Cherokee Proverb

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity... I'm not sure about the former.

~ Albert Einstein

Misaya
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Misaya » Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:14 am

Sorry Terri I've no idea but I hope you get on ok at the vets and it turns out to be nothing serious.
- Fiona -

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. - Ambrose Bierce

Ryphen
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by Ryphen » Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:34 am

Good luck with the appointment.

Booma
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Booma » Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:09 pm

Good luck Terri. Let us know how u go
Image Image

TerriHolt
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by TerriHolt » Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:19 pm

I'm probably worrying about nothing (i usually do :oops: :lol: )... Or at least, i'm hoping so...

~ Cherokee Proverb

~ Albert Einstein

TerriHolt
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by TerriHolt » Wed Mar 13, 2013 7:50 pm

My last vet has a lot to answer for :evil:
He wouldn't let the vet near him, he tried to escape and at one point sat on my knee. She had to muzzle him because he went for her (she said it was just a warning that time, snapping air, but just in case she had to muzzle him). He has never been like that with anyone and it makes me sad that he is now so scared... All the hours/months/ over a year i put into socializing him with people, my old vets undid it all in 5 minute visit...

Well, she couldn't feel anything but because he didn't make it easy, she didn't have chance to feel as well as she would have liked... She could have sedated him but based on what she did feel, she didn't want to because it could have just been the epididymis. Instead she told me to check daily for any change and if possible take photo's because she isn't going to get anywhere near close enough to have a look. But at the minute she's not concerned.

I wish she could have looked better... mind not eased...

~ Cherokee Proverb

~ Albert Einstein

Gaby
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Gaby » Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:51 pm

Hope the vet was right and the testicles are fine, but I understand your worries.

Couldn't you muzzle him and get some backup to hold him better? Or visit again and take somebody with you to hold him? I have an extremly difficult dog (not Mila but my other dog) for vets after they tried to remove glass out of his paw, after that he tries to attack anyone in a white coat as soon as we walk in the vets office. :oops: Since then we always work something out without sedation, using a muzzle and holding him thight. I don't like to see a dog sedated for a physical examination. And a heads up, my dog knows it is terrible in the vets office, he is normally not so anxious, so he only connects it to visiting the vets. So it probably won't do damage on your socialization to other "normal" people. ;)

Sylvaen
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Sylvaen » Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:26 pm

No to worry you, but I believe Falk (in Germany) had a testicle tumor and, as a result, he needed to be castrated at a young age.
He is out of Jackal X Heidi (full sibling to Frigga, who is Sam's dam)... which means Falk is Sam's uncle.
The future lies before you, like a path of pure white snow...
Be careful how you tread it, for every step will show.

Katlin
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Katlin » Thu Mar 14, 2013 5:57 am

TerriHolt wrote:My last vet has a lot to answer for :evil:
He wouldn't let the vet near him, he tried to escape and at one point sat on my knee. She had to muzzle him because he went for her (she said it was just a warning that time, snapping air, but just in case she had to muzzle him). He has never been like that with anyone and it makes me sad that he is now so scared... All the hours/months/ over a year i put into socializing him with people, my old vets undid it all in 5 minute visit...

Well, she couldn't feel anything but because he didn't make it easy, she didn't have chance to feel as well as she would have liked... She could have sedated him but based on what she did feel, she didn't want to because it could have just been the epididymis. Instead she told me to check daily for any change and if possible take photo's because she isn't going to get anywhere near close enough to have a look. But at the minute she's not concerned.

Sorry Terri but Vets do that, their safety is first over the dogs' every time. Staff is always priority. If he did snap then she kinda had the right to muzzle him. TBH, I would have too. Sedation is very hard on a dog, it puts their kidneys into overdrive and makes their bodies work extra hard. If she's not worried, I wouldn't be. These people know what they are doing :) Maybe, if you are still worried, go for a second opinion.

As for the socilization: dogs know what vet clinics are. Wylie will howl the second he steps into a clinic even if he has never been there before and has no idea what's going on. As Gaby said I think he knows the difference between vets and street people :)

Hope you feel a bit better!
Polarose Tamaskan
Polardog Outfitters
Owner of Sierra Kaweah RN RI TDI TRN TTDN CRN-MCL @ Polarose

TerriHolt
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by TerriHolt » Thu Mar 14, 2013 8:35 am

Katlin wrote:
TerriHolt wrote:My last vet has a lot to answer for :evil:

Sorry Terri but Vets do that, their safety is first over the dogs' every time. Staff is always priority. If he did snap then she kinda had the right to muzzle him. TBH, I would have too. Sedation is very hard on a dog, it puts their kidneys into overdrive and makes their bodies work extra hard. If she's not worried, I wouldn't be. These people know what they are doing :) Maybe, if you are still worried, go for a second opinion.

As for the socilization: dogs know what vet clinics are. Wylie will howl the second he steps into a clinic even if he has never been there before and has no idea what's going on. As Gaby said I think he knows the difference between vets and street people :)

Hope you feel a bit better!
I can understand her muzzling him, if she hadn't i'd have suggested it my self for her safety and keep Sam out of trouble. It's just sad to see him like that, snapping at someone is so unlike him. She laughed when he barked at her tho, she said a big dog like him and all he can manage is a whispered "huff huff"...
Gaby wrote:Hope the vet was right and the testicles are fine, but I understand your worries.

Couldn't you muzzle him and get some backup to hold him better? Or visit again and take somebody with you to hold him? I have an extremly difficult dog (not Mila but my other dog) for vets after they tried to remove glass out of his paw, after that he tries to attack anyone in a white coat as soon as we walk in the vets office. :oops: Since then we always work something out without sedation, using a muzzle and holding him thight. I don't like to see a dog sedated for a physical examination. And a heads up, my dog knows it is terrible in the vets office, he is normally not so anxious, so he only connects it to visiting the vets. So it probably won't do damage on your socialization to other "normal" people. ;)
He broke away from 3 people holding him with ease, i'm not sure how many people i will need to recruit... If the problem remains and it's definitely not the epididymis i will try about 5 or 6 people or just take him to be fixed, hopefully i can have his hips done by then.

He will back away from normal people. I have been rebuilding his people skills in our usual spot outside the cafe (it's cold this time of year) and now when people say "can i stroke him" i have to tell them to ask him (that gets some really odd looks :lol: ). They have to put their hand out and if he wants stroking he will cautiously go in for a lick. If they just go in for the stroke, he will try to run. We have had to start at the beginning (except puppies willingly go in for a fuss) but he is making progress with people again. He accepted a biscuit yesterday :D
Sylvaen wrote:No to worry you, but I believe Falk (in Germany) had a testicle tumor and, as a result, he needed to be castrated at a young age.
He is out of Jackal X Heidi (full sibling to Frigga, who is Sam's dam)... which means Falk is Sam's uncle.
Thanks Debby, i shall keep that in mind... a lot... until his manhood's removed... :lol:

Nah, I'm not as worried as i was but there is still a little "what if she missed it and it is serious" niggle. I'll just keep checking for changes (cysts are squidgy, abscess is painful and he'll let me know, epididymis will move and tumor is hard and nothing like the rest...).

~ Cherokee Proverb

~ Albert Einstein