Insurance

All topics pertaining to health and diseases that may affect your Tamaskan Dog, as well as treatment.
Blustag
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Re: Puppy insurance

Post by Blustag » Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:53 pm

Be very careful with Insurers and read the small print. I cant recommend Petplan enough and they are probably the most experienced
with dogs. Cant imagine Tesco etc anywhere close to the experts Petplan.

Booma
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Booma » Thu Apr 12, 2012 11:36 pm

Considering there is only one tam in aus so far, no pet insurance companies have the tamaskan listed, so I will have to insure as a husky cross.
Image Image

nivenj
Tamtastic (Apprentice)
Tamtastic (Apprentice)

Post by nivenj » Tue Apr 17, 2012 12:01 pm

Just to say, I did some research and I came across a Pet insurer called Agria. They are a dedicated animal/pet insurer and the largest in Sweden from what I understand. They did not have Tamaskan on their list so I called and they were great, they put him down as a large Crossbreed but updated the comments on my Policy to say that he is a Tamaskan so there will be no issues between what the Vet details have and the insurers details. I obviously have no idea what they will be like if I ever have to claim, but they are very reasonably priced and allow you to adjust the cover for your particular situation.

I chose:-
Lifetime Cover
£7,500 per year for illness, accident and injury (£75 Fixed Excess , 0% Variable Excess) (Variable excess can be 0,10 or 20%)
£1Million Third Party Liability
£1000 cover for Advertising and Reward if Lost/Stolen
£1000 cover in event of Loss or Theft or death
Upto £300 travel expenses if your vet refers you to another Vet.
£25 Healthcare Voucher per year to pay towards Vaccinations.

£26 per Month, first 2 months at £13.

www.agriavet.co.uk for those that are interested.
We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit.” --Aristotle *

skyedream
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by skyedream » Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:17 pm

That sounds great nivenj. What about complementary healthcare (like hydrotherapy)?

Sylvaen
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Sylvaen » Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:29 pm

nivenj wrote:I chose:-
Lifetime Cover
£7,500 per year for illness, accident and injury (£75 Fixed Excess , 0% Variable Excess) (Variable excess can be 0,10 or 20%)
£1Million Third Party Liability
£1000 cover for Advertising and Reward if Lost/Stolen
£1000 cover in event of Loss or Theft or death
Upto £300 travel expenses if your vet refers you to another Vet.
£25 Healthcare Voucher per year to pay towards Vaccinations.

£26 per Month, first 2 months at £13.

http://www.agriavet.co.uk for those that are interested.
WOW nice! :D
Can you only apply if you live in the UK?
The future lies before you, like a path of pure white snow...
Be careful how you tread it, for every step will show.

nivenj
Tamtastic (Apprentice)
Tamtastic (Apprentice)

Post by nivenj » Wed Apr 18, 2012 12:31 am

skyedream wrote:That sounds great nivenj. What about complementary healthcare (like hydrotherapy)?
Yes...

• Alternative and/or complementary treatment carried out
up to £750,
• Costs of treatment for behavioural problems by a
behaviourist up to £250,
• 50% of the cost of a prescription diet up to £250,
• Costs for your pet to be cremated or buried up to £150
We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit.” --Aristotle *

nivenj
Tamtastic (Apprentice)
Tamtastic (Apprentice)

Post by nivenj » Wed Apr 18, 2012 12:35 am

Sylvaen wrote: Can you only apply if you live in the UK?
I believe so Debbie, although they are a global company so the might cover other countries under different t&c's

Katlin
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Insurance

Post by Katlin » Fri Jan 18, 2013 7:27 am

Does anyone have their dogs insured? I was thinking about using Trupanion (vetinsurance) but we just had a webinar at my clinic for Petplan and it seems 10000X better. I'm signing Wylie up as a husky mix. The price is fantastic since I wanted a low deductible ($200) and a high reimbursement (90%). What does everyone else think?
Polarose Tamaskan
Polardog Outfitters
Owner of Sierra Kaweah RN RI TDI TRN TTDN CRN-MCL @ Polarose

Sylvaen
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Re: Insurance

Post by Sylvaen » Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:42 pm

I've heard good things about Petplan. Unfortunately there is no Pet Insurance here in Croatia - the concept doesn't even exist as an idea here (lol) - so my dogs are not insured, though I wish they were.

TerriHolt
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by TerriHolt » Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:39 pm

I use Animal friends pet insurance but idk which countries they do... I had to list him as a Husky cross so i had to tell my vet that's what he is so it all matches...

There’s a battle between two wolves inside us all.
One is Evil. It’s anger, jealousy, greed, resentment, inferiority, lies and ego.
The other is Good. It’s joy, peace, love, hope, humility, kindness and truth.

The wolf that wins? The one you feed!

~ Cherokee Proverb

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity... I'm not sure about the former.

~ Albert Einstein

Ausbird
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by Ausbird » Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:59 pm

My partner and I ran a pet insurance cost analysis as part of Tampup preparations (and out of curiosity).

Petplan is indeed the best choice. Their rates were far lower and they didn't require costly add-on packages just to obtain hip dysplasia coverage.

Pet plan has an annual $200 deductible -per incident/illness- before they pay out. It's more of a catastrophic injury protection plan and less of a comprehensive health care plan.

By our calculations, a Tam over a 14 year lifespan would have to incur ~$4500 of vet bills $200 or greater to break even. We decided against it on that basis and the knowledge that TDR Tams are at lower risk for things like HD based on their well-scrutinized parentage.

From what I've read, Petplan does offer good customer service and quick payments if you decide to use them though.

arianwenarie
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by arianwenarie » Fri Jan 18, 2013 7:38 pm

Ausbird wrote:My partner and I ran a pet insurance cost analysis as part of Tampup preparations (and out of curiosity).

Petplan is indeed the best choice. Their rates were far lower and they didn't require costly add-on packages just to obtain hip dysplasia coverage.

Pet plan has an annual $200 deductible -per incident/illness- before they pay out. It's more of a catastrophic injury protection plan and less of a comprehensive health care plan.

By our calculations, a Tam over a 14 year lifespan would have to incur ~$4500 of vet bills $200 or greater to break even. We decided against it on that basis and the knowledge that TDR Tams are at lower risk for things like HD based on their well-scrutinized parentage.

From what I've read, Petplan does offer good customer service and quick payments if you decide to use them though.
Personally, I'd still advise on considering insurance. Take a look at this thread (viewtopic.php?f=15&t=3602) that shows a rough estimate of dogs with failing hips and other health issues in the breed. Many lines have Jackal @ Blustag in them and he is rumored to have failing hips - per TDR website, Jackal's official hip score cannot be confirmed. I remember seeing Jackal's hip score as 16 and 12 on various occasions.

Sylvaen
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Sylvaen » Fri Jan 18, 2013 8:23 pm

arianwenarie wrote:
Ausbird wrote:My partner and I ran a pet insurance cost analysis as part of Tampup preparations (and out of curiosity).

Personally, I'd still advise on considering insurance. Take a look at this thread (viewtopic.php?f=15&t=3602) that shows a rough estimate of dogs with failing hips and other health issues in the breed. Many lines have Jackal @ Blustag in them and he is rumored to have failing hips - per TDR website, Jackal's official hip score cannot be confirmed. I remember seeing Jackal's hip score as 16 and 12 on various occasions.
I agree... personally, I think it is always a good idea to have pet insurance. Accidents can happen (hit by car, attacked by another dog, etc), dogs can also swallow objects that require expensive surgery to remove the blockage... there are literally hundreds of 'what if' scenarios that, unfortunately, are relatively common. Even though all breeding dogs are hip scored, this only serves to minimize the risk of HD... it is still possible for dogs to develop HD even if they come from parents with passing hip scores (depending on the genes they inherit, the ancestors further back in the pedigree, and the particular combination of those two specific parents) and that isn't even taking into account environmental damage (related to overexercise and diet). Far better to pay the money (IMHO) and not actually need it, than to NOT have insurance and need it...

Hawthorne
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Hawthorne » Fri Jan 18, 2013 8:34 pm

We have Petplan for all four of our dogs. It does not cover routine vet visits or vaccines--but in my opinion that's not what it's for. We look at it this way: pet insurance helps you let your dog be a dog, and not be paranoid about everything. We take our dogs off leash and they could get into all kinds of trouble: broken leg or animal bite, or a swat from a porcupine, or heaven forbid if Freyja ever needed a c-section. All of these things are covered. For me, it's piece of mind. Heck, it seems as though they are going to cover the cost of an experimental drug to help with Fenris' cataracts. When I called to inquire about coverage for this, the answer was: whatever you and the vet agree on as acceptable treatment, we cover. Wow!
Tracy Graziano
http://www.hawthornetamaskan.com

bark as if no one can hear you
catch the ball on the fly
lick like there's no end to kissing
sleep on a sofa nearby
jump like the sky is the limit
sit by the fire with friends
stay with the ones who love you
run like the road never ends

Ausbird
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by Ausbird » Fri Jan 18, 2013 8:42 pm

Huh, I wasn't aware of that factoid about Jackal. Good to know.

Lower risk does not equal no risk, of course. Still, financially we're prepared to float a major emergency if need be. I'm willing to be convinced of its worth. From anyone with experience (hopefully not personal experience), what sort of vet costs can be expected for some of those incidents? HD surgery (total hip replacement?), dog bite treatment, broken leg, etc.

Eventide
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by Eventide » Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:22 pm

So, when an insurance company asks breed-type and Tamaskan is not an option (PetPlan), which breed is closest? Vlack is shown as purebred, would that be closest?

Ausbird
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by Ausbird » Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:39 pm

Dottie wrote:So, when an insurance company asks breed-type and Tamaskan is not an option (PetPlan), which breed is closest? Vlack is shown as purebred, would that be closest?
There's an option for Mixed Breed - Large as I recall. That's what I was using. May as well take advantage of the mixed breed discount (purebreds cost more to insure if they're recognized) where you can.

Nino
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Nino » Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:53 pm

I have a danish company called Dyrekassen and uses their Dog Total which has normal liability insurance (which is something every dog needs to have by law here), extended liability insurance (eg. police dog biting training), health insurance and also life insurance..
>> Nino <<

Nino
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Nino » Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:54 pm

Oi.. I also had the Tamaskan added to the breed lisg after many mails 2 years ago when getting Sølve :D
>> Nino <<

Ausbird
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by Ausbird » Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:25 pm

I ran across PetAssure (http://www.petassure.com) today in the course of reevaluating. It's $100/year for a flat 25% off all vet costs with no deductible or exclusions.

Ran some more calculations and assuming an average $155/year standard vet procedure and vaccination bill provided by lab owner friends of ours, that leaves ~$3400 to be spent on accident or illness costs over a 14 year lifespan to break even. That's $1000 cheaper over the long run than Petplan. Plus there's some merchant discounts through PetAssure that may be useful (dog food).

Something to consider! They do have a limited selection of vets that participate though.

lasgal
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by lasgal » Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:37 pm

We use ASPCA pet insurance. They were actually the only company that had the Tamaskan breed listed. I was also able to get a package that included shots, and heartgard and flea & tic.

Ausbird
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by Ausbird » Sat Jan 19, 2013 1:49 am

lasgal wrote:We use ASPCA pet insurance. They were actually the only company that had the Tamaskan breed listed. I was also able to get a package that included shots, and heartgard and flea & tic.
I just quoted an 8-week Tamaskan on both. 90% reimbursement bronze, $200 deductible for Petplan. Level 2 ASPCA. ASPCA is $4 more a month for higher deductible ($250 vs $200), lower coverage limit ($3000 vs $8000), no hereditary/ongoing condition coverage! (add $10/month for HD coverage).

Honestly, from the info I'm seeing, ASPCA is a ripoff in comparison. Consider Petplan when you renew.

Ausbird
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by Ausbird » Sat Jan 19, 2013 3:30 am

Okay, PetAssure it is for us then. The merchant discounts make it a no-brainer.

I did some sleuthing and just by getting Orijen food every month from a particular online vendor (w/ free shipping) at a 10% discount off standard retail price through PetAssure, the program has already paid for itself and given us back ~$4 every month in food costs. That's without touching the vet discounts.

Katlin
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Katlin » Sat Jan 19, 2013 4:04 am

Dottie wrote:So, when an insurance company asks breed-type and Tamaskan is not an option (PetPlan), which breed is closest? Vlack is shown as purebred, would that be closest?
I wouldn't, the premiums are much higher (I checked them and saarloos wolfdog), I just put husky mix...I mean they do have husky in them lol.

I've seen what pet insurance can do, with all the cases I've seen I'd be stupid NOT to have insurance. I've checked out all the ones available in Canada and half seem like a joke. I know that they don't cover "preventatives" (vaccines, consults, etc) but really...who would? I got my quote and it's great, super quick and easy. I'll pay for it the day before he gets here and then take him to the vet the day my clinic opens for his Bordetella (Kennel Cough) booster and then I'll be set.
Polarose Tamaskan
Polardog Outfitters
Owner of Sierra Kaweah RN RI TDI TRN TTDN CRN-MCL @ Polarose

lasgal
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by lasgal » Sat Jan 19, 2013 2:56 pm

Ausbird wrote:
lasgal wrote:We use ASPCA pet insurance. They were actually the only company that had the Tamaskan breed listed. I was also able to get a package that included shots, and heartgard and flea & tic.
I just quoted an 8-week Tamaskan on both. 90% reimbursement bronze, $200 deductible for Petplan. Level 2 ASPCA. ASPCA is $4 more a month for higher deductible ($250 vs $200), lower coverage limit ($3000 vs $8000), no hereditary/ongoing condition coverage! (add $10/month for HD coverage).

Honestly, from the info I'm seeing, ASPCA is a ripoff in comparison. Consider Petplan when you renew.

Thanks for the info! I hadn't heard of Petplan until reading this thread.

Hawthorne
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Hawthorne » Sat Jan 19, 2013 7:47 pm

Be careful who you go with, too. Not all insurances cover congenital issues. Petplan does. And yes, if your dog needs a double hip replacement, they cover that too-- $5,000 per hip. No kidding!
Tracy Graziano

sleep on a sofa nearby

AZDehlin
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by AZDehlin » Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:15 am

I switched to petplan gold plan this year, protecting my investment... My sisters dog got out at six months old and was hit by a car and they had to take a 10,000 loan out to save him.

Hawthorne
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Hawthorne » Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:44 pm

Katlin wrote: I know that they don't cover "preventatives" (vaccines, consults, etc) but really...who would?
I think VPI does last I knew. But their premium was higher than Petplan.
Tracy Graziano

sleep on a sofa nearby

iamnic
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by iamnic » Thu Jan 31, 2013 7:47 pm

I have both Naima and Kona covered under Trupanion--zero deductible and 90% reimbursement. Our monthly premium is a bit higher due to the deductible (approx 40/month/dog). We appreciated that their policy and sign up process was simple and straight-forward. Customer service has been great whenever we've needed to contact them, though our vet has some express form that they can fax in on our behalf so we rarely have to deal with them ourselves. Reimbursement is quick and they email updates on where they are in the claims process. They offer a $5 add-on that we just included in our plan which covers third party property damage--great since we like to rent cabins in the mountains and bring the girls with us--advertising and reward if pets are ever lost/stolen, emergency boarding fees/holiday cancellation costs, and even cremation/burial.

firleymj
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by firleymj » Thu May 16, 2013 1:42 am

Not claiming that the option I chose is optimal for everybody, but it was recommended by my veterinarian.

Embrace Pet Insurance out of Ohio.

The coverage is basically $200 deductible, 90% reimbursement, $10000 per year accident and illness coverage, and covers routine visits, prescriptions, and vaccinations and dental. $65.00/month. (Disclaimer, my vet is a plan participant, and you get a discount if your vet is "in network" in people insurance terms.)

There are a lot of options: you can adjust yearly max coverage, reimbursement percentage, deductibles, and wellness components, and dental and pretty much fit your budget accordingly.

And during the sign up (I had to call on the phone - they're having some web site issues) I asked about listing Tamaskan, and after a conversation, Kona was added as "Mixed Breed / Large Dog" open and up front with the carrier.
My goal in life is to be as good of a person as my dog already thinks I am. ~Author Unknown
The greatest love is a mother's; then a dog's; then a sweetheart's. ~Polish Proverb

The human of Ch.(ARBA) and Ch.(KCUSA) Hawthorne James Watson (call name Kona)

http://www.anthracitetamaskan.com

Ausbird
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by Ausbird » Thu May 16, 2013 6:04 am

firleymj wrote:Not claiming that the option I chose is optimal for everybody, but it was recommended by my veterinarian.

The coverage is basically $200 deductible, 90% reimbursement, $10000 per year accident and illness coverage, and covers routine visits, prescriptions, and vaccinations and dental. $65.00/month. (Disclaimer, my vet is a plan participant, and you get a discount if your vet is "in network" in people insurance terms.)

There are a lot of options: you can adjust yearly max coverage, reimbursement percentage, deductibles, and wellness components, and dental and pretty much fit your budget accordingly.

And during the sign up (I had to call on the phone - they're having some web site issues) I asked about listing Tamaskan, and after a conversation, Kona was added as "Mixed Breed / Large Dog" open and up front with the carrier.
Yikes. Petplan I just quoted at $18.98/mo for $200 deductible, 90% reimbursement, $10000/year limit. You're paying $46 more a month for vaccinations, routine visits and routine dental coverage only. I have yet to find an insurance plan that's even remotely competitive with Petplan. :/

iamnic
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by iamnic » Thu May 16, 2013 6:55 pm

Just wanted to update you all on Trupanion. We just received an email from them that they are adding hip dysplasia and more comprehensive dental coverage into their core policy without additional cost. Previously, HD coverage was only available as an additional rider to your policy.

The unlimited annual payout limit also remains the same.

Hawthorne
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Hawthorne » Thu May 16, 2013 7:50 pm

Just FYI. Freyja did have a c-section and it was covered. I had my $2,200 check within 30 days. Holy cow! So glad we have PetPlan.
Tracy Graziano

sleep on a sofa nearby

Eventide
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by Eventide » Thu May 16, 2013 11:30 pm

Ausbird wrote:
firleymj wrote:Not claiming that the option I chose is optimal for everybody, but it was recommended by my veterinarian.

Yikes. Petplan I just quoted at $18.98/mo for $200 deductible, 90% reimbursement, $10000/year limit. You're paying $46 more a month for vaccinations, routine visits and routine dental coverage only. I have yet to find an insurance plan that's even remotely competitive with Petplan. :/

Wel, I know Max's carrier, PetPlan, does not include routine visits, vaccines or prescriptions, and I just paid over $300 for Max's routine visit and booster vaccines. However, they do cover one thing most other companies don't - genetic issues. I think this is important with a new breed like the Tamaskan especially with the older Tams. Are there other insurance companies that cover this?

So, everything said and done, I think most insurance companies are fairly competitive price- and coverage- wise, just depends on what you're looking for. . .

Ausbird
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by Ausbird » Fri May 17, 2013 4:42 am

Dottie wrote:
Ausbird wrote:

Wel, I know Max's carrier, PetPlan, does not include routine visits, vaccines or prescriptions, and I just paid over $300 for Max's routine visit and booster vaccines. However, they do cover one thing most other companies don't - genetic issues. I think this is important with a new breed like the Tamaskan especially with the older Tams. Are there other insurance companies that cover this?

So, everything said and done, I think most insurance companies are fairly competitive price- and coverage- wise, just depends on what you're looking for. . .
Petplan covers prescriptions related to illnesses/accidents. Taking your example of a routine vaccine visit under the plan mentioned above (Embrace), after deductible you're looking at $90 of insurance payout vs. the $550/year paid above and beyond Petplan for that coverage alone. Still not seeing the value! I'll be better equipped to decide once I see how much our vet charges for procedures, though.

From a glance at Embrace they do cover genetic conditions, so that's good.

weylyn

Post by weylyn » Fri May 17, 2013 9:17 am

when looking for insurance in every country it is also good to look over the whole situation.
How many dogs do you have and what is your monthly payment on that and what does the insurance cover.
For instance I have 5 and for me it is much cheaper not to insure them but have a bank account just for them and make money over to that every month.
In the time we had our adventure with Midas that saved his live because no insurance would have covered that......

In the Netherlands it is better to insurance if you have 2 dogs but if you have more it is better not to and have a account for them yourself....