Insurance

All topics pertaining to health and diseases that may affect your Tamaskan Dog, as well as treatment.
MelB
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Tamaskan Pet Insurance

Post by MelB » Mon Aug 02, 2010 4:02 pm

Anyone willing to share who they use? Having a bit of trouble....

My current insurer doesn't cover Tamaskans because their underwriter says "they're to closely linked to wolves"!!!!! Now if I'd said husky cross the cover & cost would be fantastic (6k/condition/year up to 40K/condition over lifetime).

So far my search has only shown up directline & petplan that recognise & cover Tamaskans. Directline cover is pants - 6K per condition over the lifetime of the pet :shock: (for the same price as my current insurer)!!! Petplan looks better (12K in total per year) but at twice the price. I want the best cover possible for my girl because you never know what life will throw at you. I don't object to paying a bit more but everyone likes a bargain.

So, does anyone out there have any recommendations please?
Thanks

Blustag
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Re: Tamaskan Pet Insurance

Post by Blustag » Mon Aug 02, 2010 6:58 pm

I have used Pet Plan for donkeys years and always found them to be the best. All my pups go with Pet Plan insurance too.
You have to be very careful with insurance and always read the small print.

blufawn
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by blufawn » Mon Aug 02, 2010 8:46 pm

I have used Marks and Spencers insurance, they are quite good
If you can meet with Triumph and Disaster
And treat those two impostors just the same;
If you can bear to hear the truth you've spoken
Twisted by knaves to make a trap for fools,
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!

Sylvaen
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Sylvaen » Mon Aug 02, 2010 9:35 pm

Unfortunately, Pet Insurance doesn't even EXIST here in Croatia. lol
The future lies before you, like a path of pure white snow...
Be careful how you tread it, for every step will show.

hearn188
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by hearn188 » Wed Aug 04, 2010 9:01 am

Hi

Tesco's cover Tamaskans but from recollection the cover was only 4k.

I have moved my insurance around quite a bit as always find the first year starts ok but becomes expensive in th following years.

Obviously moving insurance around isnt recommended if you have claims logged as the next insurance wont cover pre existing conditions. I had Onai insured with Direct Line when he was diagnosed with his spinal cyst that needed surgery but we used up his total allowance of 6K on the surgery and scans so I knew I wasnt going to lose out by changing to a cheaper company when Direct Line put his second year premium from £15 to £30!

I have Onai covered with 'More Than ' as when I spoke with them direct they were prepared to cover him as 'a husky cross' with Tamaskan logged as a subtitle in the underwriting . They have good cover but the only downside is that as well as the excess they charge 10% of the vet costs on top , but they renew the cover each year so the situation I had with Onai using up his allowance wouldnt happen with them as each 12 months I would get his allowance back for a long term condition,

Annu is covered with E and L as they provide the same type of cover as More Than but were cheaper .

Hope that helps

Annette

MelB
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by MelB » Wed Aug 04, 2010 9:25 am

Thanks all.

I've gone with petplan because the level of cover per year is higher than M&S (though they did look good compared to the majority) and because Cindy's already insured with them on a "breeder's 6-week policy" it can be classed as a continuous policy (so her runny poos don't get excluded for life and we also get a month free :D ). Just a shame that it's not as good cover as the AFI but until they cover Tams it's a moot point.

Sylvaen - no insurance?! EEK! That could get very expensive.

Annette - just seen your post. I didn't think to look at Tesco's - I saw that they did cover but assumed it would be poor. I checked out more than and they seemed to be saying that it was a maximum lifetime level. There again I looked at so many and all the fine print (in between toilet training Cindy every half hour & running round after 2 kids - one teething, the other stir crazy that day :roll: ) that my mind was a bit boggled so I might have missed it. Ah well!

Blustag
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Blustag » Wed Aug 04, 2010 10:31 am

Just a tip. If you say your dog is a crossbreed and not a pedigree the insurance works out cheaper. You still get the same level of insurance so may be worth thinking about.

MelB
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by MelB » Wed Aug 04, 2010 10:38 am

Thanks, I was very tempted to do that Lynn but I was worried about having to argue about the status if/when it came to putting in a claim. Too honest for my own good and I have terribly bad luck so would be bound to get caught out.
Just had a quick re-read of the more than site & it actually looks quite good - maybe even a bit better than the AFI. Oh well. Will think about it as there's still a 14 day cooling off period.

Blustag
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Blustag » Wed Aug 04, 2010 10:46 am

No matter which insurance you are taking out it is always confusing and nothing straight forward. I took out my household insurance and before I paid my fee I asked the office to make damn sure that I was covered for 'everything' that could possibly happen. That meant EVERYTHING... new for old too! I tried to make a claim for my settee which one of my dogs thought was a bone and was told...sorry....not covered for that... I wont repeat on here what I had to say to them at the time. I am now looking for a new household policy!

MelB
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by MelB » Wed Aug 04, 2010 11:35 am

That's pants! So many household policies won't cover pet damage. Is it worth checking if there a clause in the pet insurance that will cover that sort of damage?

Sylvaen
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Sylvaen » Wed Aug 04, 2010 5:08 pm

MelB wrote:Sylvaen - no insurance?! EEK! That could get very expensive.
Yep, it's a bit crazy. Funny thing is, most people will look at you strangely if you mention Pet Insurance... most of them don't even know such a thing exists!!

Fortunately the vet clinics don't charge quite as much here per visit / treatments as other parts of Europe...

X-rays = 14 euros
Annual vaccinations = 22 euros
Microchip = 12 euros
Pet Passport = 1.4 euros!

...but I always worry incase of a car accident or something, which would entail extensive & expensive surgery. It would be a lot cheaper than other parts of Europe, but still could go into the hundreds or thousands, depending what needs doing. :?

claireyclaire
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by claireyclaire » Wed Aug 04, 2010 8:58 pm

I'm with Petplan and wouldn't go with anyone else. I have easily claimed for at least £10,000 for Bru over his 12 years and they have never questioned anything.

As Lynn mentioned she arranges Petplan cover for all puppies and both of my Tams came with free cover for the first 6 weeks, however the only frustrating thing is that Tams weren't recognised when we got Tala so she is registered as a cross breed, but less that 12 months later they did recognise the breed and Elska is registered as a Tamaskan and costs me significantly more, I think this is because I just converted the free cover into a full policy. If/when I get another Tam I will probably let the free policy expire and apply for a new policy for a crossbreed!
“You can take the dog out of the Wolf Pack, But you can't take the Wolf Pack out of the dog"

Misaya
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Misaya » Sat Aug 14, 2010 8:21 pm

We have been with Petplan since Ayasca was a puppy, they didnt recognise Tamaskans then, but they do now, although I dont think it was any cheaper before. He has life cover, with £6,000 per year for vet fees with a £90 excess. It costs £35 a month. We have only claimed once since we got him, which was when he got glass in his paw for which treatment totalled £160, we got £80 payout, as the excess was £80 then. There was no problem with them paying out.

We havent insured Mischa yet, as we cant afford to pay that much for both of them. Actually we are thinking of just putting some money aside each month as a vet fund instead of having insurance. If not then we will have to drop his level of cover to pay for Mischa's. Its a bit of a dillema.
- Fiona -

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. - Ambrose Bierce

4runner84
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by 4runner84 » Thu Jun 23, 2011 6:15 pm

What insurance does everyone use in the USA for their Tamaskan? Mine will be arriving soon and I need to get her signed up for her arrival and just wondering if one was better than another. Thanks :)

WhiteElkStag
Tamtastic (Apprentice)
Tamtastic (Apprentice)

Post by WhiteElkStag » Thu Jun 23, 2011 8:26 pm

4runner84 wrote:What insurance does everyone use in the USA for their Tamaskan? Mine will be arriving soon and I need to get her signed up for her arrival and just wondering if one was better than another. Thanks :)
Kira and I signed up with Healthy Paws. We haven't needed to make a claim yet but so far we've had a good experience. You really have to be careful choosing if you're not planning on spaying or neutering your dogs. Most of the companies in the States will still take your money but then its buried in the contract that they won't cover anything for an intact dog. Crazy, but true. Healthy Paws is relatively inexpensive, they cover everything that we needed them to, and the people who we worked with were very friendly, helpful and easy to reach. Let us know if you want to sign up with them and I think we can get you 10% off of your premiums for life.
Ben Premack
www.WhiteElkTamaskan.com
www.Facebook.com/WhiteElkTamaskan
Rhea (Saxon Aquila at White Elk), Sophie (Saxon Canis Venatici at White Elk), and Auri (Blufawn Sunshine on My Shoulders at White Elk)

mackenziecorcoran
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by mackenziecorcoran » Thu Jun 23, 2011 8:30 pm

Do you have some contact information of someone you used or the policy you got? I'm interested in getting Pet Insurance as well and have time to make some decisions.

WhiteElkStag
Tamtastic (Apprentice)
Tamtastic (Apprentice)

Post by WhiteElkStag » Thu Jun 23, 2011 8:57 pm

We spoke with Jen Sherwood. She's the claims manager at Healthy Paws and was happy to spend an hour on the phone with us talking through their contract, answering any questions that I had and discussing company policy. They're definitely an insurance company, but from what she told us they got into the business to help pets lead long healthy lives and make sure that their owners don't have to go bankrupt if something happens to their pet. We spoke with them right after the Terheel poisoning and they will even have covered the medical costs of a malicious act. Also, if they don't already, very shortly they won't have a lifetime limit.

The policy that we got costs us $30.40/month for each of the girls. It has a $50/year deductible and has a 90% reimbursement rate. You can find a copy of their policy contract here:(https://www.healthypawspetinsurance.com ... Policy.pdf)

Jen's direct line is 425-516-7135 and her email is jen@healthypawspetinsurance.com.

If you decide to sign up with them just make sure to mention Kira and I so we all get the friend referral bonus.
Ben Premack
www.WhiteElkTamaskan.com
Rhea (Saxon Aquila at White Elk), Sophie (Saxon Canis Venatici at White Elk), and Auri (Blufawn Sunshine on My Shoulders at White Elk)

AngieH
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by AngieH » Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:05 pm

still doing my research but I'm leaning strongly toward Pets Best

http://www.petsbest.com/
One's horizon shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage.
~Nin

mackenziecorcoran
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by mackenziecorcoran » Fri Jun 24, 2011 11:54 am

Thanks for the information guys, I'll be sure to check them out :D

4runner84
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by 4runner84 » Fri Jun 24, 2011 12:57 pm

Thanks Everyone! Will definitely mention names for discount!

WhiteElkStag
Tamtastic (Apprentice)
Tamtastic (Apprentice)

Post by WhiteElkStag » Mon Jul 25, 2011 8:00 pm

We just submitted our first claim through Healthy Paws for the patch of mange on Sophie's shoulder. They processed the claim quickly and the benefits were exactly what they told us they would be. They even reminded us that the vet asked for Sophie to come back four weeks after the initial visit for a follow-up appointment. So far, these guys are doing a great job.
Ben Premack
www.WhiteElkTamaskan.com

Luna
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Puppy insurance

Post by Luna » Mon Sep 12, 2011 12:04 pm

Hi,
I am just doing some research into getting Luna insured, and I have found that when getting a quote - Tamaskans were not listed as a breed option. If that goes by the fact that they are not KC registered that makes sense.

But it was then interesting to find Utonagen as an option on 'Compare the markets' dog insurance.

I was just wondering what people have registered their dogs as. There's an option for 'mixed breeds', 'Inuit', 'Northrn Inuit', 'Husky', 'Alaskan Malamute' and 'Utonagen'.

I'm inclined to go for the cheapest option......but I'd hate that to compromise her insurance cover.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Francesca

Nino
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Re: Puppy insurance

Post by Nino » Mon Sep 12, 2011 12:50 pm

Sølve is actually registered as a Tamaskan Dog - I chose the Insurance because I could register her as what she is - this includes a life insurance for most of the buying price of her if she dies by accident or the vet concludes its best to put her down for some reason - I just need to get receipt on how much a Tamaskan puppy cost from Lynn (but I don't hope this will ever be necessary!).
I was considering using another company for insurance on her but they would only register her as a mixed breed which cut the life insurance in half because she isn't registered in the danish kennel club - ells that company was much nicer I think, and was the Tamaskan a registered breed the life insurance would have covered the whole amount of her puppy cost (plus if she got prices for agility etc. she would be "worth more").

But this is Denmark ofcause - not sure how it is in other countries..
>> Nino <<

Blustag
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Blustag » Mon Sep 12, 2011 5:38 pm

We use and recommend PetPlan Insurance. However, If you register as a pedigree. i.e. Tamaskan you will pay more. If you register as a crossbreed/mongrel you pay less. Mind boggles :roll: this applies to most if not all Insurance Companies.

AngieH
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by AngieH » Mon Sep 12, 2011 6:41 pm

Blustag wrote:We use and recommend PetPlan Insurance. However, If you register as a pedigree. i.e. Tamaskan you will pay more. If you register as a crossbreed/mongrel you pay less. Mind boggles :roll: this applies to most if not all Insurance Companies.
I explored this phenomenon for my blog and discovered several very complex reasons behind it. Many just presume it is because mixed breed dog's have better health and incur fewer vet bills as a result. (Which is not the case at all)

If you are interested in my findings and how I interpreted them, you can find the article here:

http://pawsawhilewithme.wordpress.com/2 ... aka/#entry

As always, your milage may vary.
-Angie
~Nin

WhiteElkDoe
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by WhiteElkDoe » Tue Sep 13, 2011 1:01 am

It's not scientifically unsound that a mixed breed dog will be healthier than it's purebred parents. The term is "hybrid vigor" I believe. The idea is that healthier traits are naturally more dominant (hence their ability to be passed down through the canine ancestry), and so if they exist in either parent the puppy will get at least one copy of a healthy gene. Lots of genetic disorders result from a double recessive gene, which is hard to get unless you're dealing with a small gene pool or inbreeding, as is typical of many registered breeds.

That isn't to say that a mixed breed will always be healthier. It's entirely possible for it to inherit the worst of its parents. It's just not as common.

AngieH
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by AngieH » Tue Sep 13, 2011 3:05 am

WhiteElkDoe wrote:It's not scientifically unsound that a mixed breed dog will be healthier than it's purebred parents. The term is "hybrid vigor" I believe. The idea is that healthier traits are naturally more dominant (hence their ability to be passed down through the canine ancestry), and so if they exist in either parent the puppy will get at least one copy of a healthy gene. Lots of genetic disorders result from a double recessive gene, which is hard to get unless you're dealing with a small gene pool or inbreeding, as is typical of many registered breeds.

That isn't to say that a mixed breed will always be healthier. It's entirely possible for it to inherit the worst of its parents. It's just not as common.
Agree. Not unsound at all, though hybrid vigor is a debated issue with sound arguments on both sides.

From what I've found (so far) the biggest health advantage hybrids seem to have over pure breeds is in the area of verility and fertility (Though some studies suggest some advantages in general immunity as well. But many of those case studies were conducted with puppy-mill dogs and perhaps the stressful, squalid conditions may have contributed somewhat to imunosupression as well.)

But even if so, it hardly seems solid or significant enough of a difference to justify such drastically different insurance rates.

If anyone has any insurance or underwriting statistics on the subject. I'd love to learn what they have to say!
~Nin

claireyclaire
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by claireyclaire » Tue Sep 13, 2011 8:32 am

I have to say that I chose to get a rescue mixed breed after losing my Labrador who had suffered with Hip Dysplasia and this was a considered decision thinking that it would be healthier.

That cute little mixed breed was my beloved Bru who I lost in May this year, we think he was a GSD x Collie unfortunately he must have inherited all the bad genes from both his parents, he suffered with Osteochondrosis all his life and had multiple allergies, he also had numerous life threatening incidents throughout his life. It's just a warning, you never know what health issues you may end up with.

Buying from a responsible breeder who will carry out all the necessary health tests on their dogs is the best you can do.
“You can take the dog out of the Wolf Pack, But you can't take the Wolf Pack out of the dog"

JulieSmith
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by JulieSmith » Tue Sep 13, 2011 1:24 pm

This is the web site for the company I used for Saga.

www.greeninsurancecompany.co.uk.

They do not recognise Tamaskans but the policy seemed ok for me. I had our first pup Thor inssured with them and when he died they paid out the full purchase cost no need for a reciept either. thankfully I have not had to claim any vet bills yet so no idea how good they will be then. Looking at the policy I got the impression that the cover was the same for all dogs as you pick the level of cover you want then tell them what dog you have.

Luna
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by Luna » Thu Sep 15, 2011 12:51 pm

Thankyou everyone for your advice. I'm spending the day comparing quotes, so much fun!

I just wondered how the Utonagan breed has managed to be on afew of the insurance company lists? I assumed that Utonagan's are not KC registered either. And whether Tamaskans can be put on these lists aswell?

As my vet didn't have Tamasan as an option for Luna's breed, she was put as Siberian Husky. I would hate to deviate from this description on her insurance, and have them not pay out at a crucial time.

Food for thought!

JulieSmith
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by JulieSmith » Thu Sep 15, 2011 1:17 pm

Saga is listed at the vets as Tamaskan, they were happy to add a breed to their list, but for the insurance she is a large cross breed. The difference in breed names did not matter when we needed to claim for Thor so do not think it would make a difference if claiming for treatment, I hope not.

Hawthorne
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Hawthorne » Thu Sep 15, 2011 10:03 pm

When we rescued Darwin and purchased a PetPlan policy for him, Tamaskan was not on the list. I could have sworn it was there when we insured Freyja but maybe I'm imagining things. Darwin is insured as a mixed breed.
Tracy Graziano
http://www.hawthornetamaskan.com

bark as if no one can hear you
catch the ball on the fly
lick like there's no end to kissing
sleep on a sofa nearby
jump like the sky is the limit
sit by the fire with friends
stay with the ones who love you
run like the road never ends

claireyclaire
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by claireyclaire » Fri Sep 16, 2011 8:18 am

I know that Tala is registered as a crossbreed with Petplan but by the time I got Elska it would appeared that Tamaskan were a known breed on their system!

Only thing is that Tala is cheaper to insure ;)

MIKA
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by MIKA » Fri Sep 16, 2011 10:24 am

Mika is also insured as a Husky mix and also registered at the vet as a Husky mix.
I'm sorry if my online-translator doesn't correctly translate
Greetings ... Martina

Gregorio71
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by Gregorio71 » Fri Jan 13, 2012 9:30 am

Why puppy/dog insurance?

Oh PLEASE let me answer this one

I've spent my entire life with dogs of all kinds. 10 years ago, I researched and found a breeder of Keeshonden. She was the most reputable breeder in Canada with Canadian, American and International champions in her lines. I waited a year for my puppy. She was the only pup to survive a litter of 6 (the others were stillborn as they were long overdue), but because I had done my research and had been told that there were no health issues with this breeder, I took her. I take the guardianship of an animal very seriously and when I bring an animal into my home, it becomes my responsibility.

When Ember was 5 months old, I had a stroke while I was having a shower. I still remember what must have been 15 to 25 minutes of passing out/waking up with little Ember biting my earlobe and barking sharply in my face, which was hanging over the side of the tub in a pool of blood. If she had stopped trying to revive me, the doctors told me point blank I would have died. Period. I can't imagine how terrified she must have been at all of 5 months.

Six months later, I got to return the favour. Ember came down with meningitis. Total vet bill was over $3,500.00.

Three years after that, her body attacked and destroyed all her platelets - Immune Mediated Thrombocytopenia. Trust me, it's not pretty. 10 days at ICU in Burnaby with whole blood and platelet transfusions flown in from a donor dog in Bellingham. She was revived twice during the 10 days. Total bill, ongoing blood tests and home care was over $25,000.00.

Two years ago, Primary Hyperparathyroidism. Another surgery and the beginning of chronic kidney failure. Total bill $4,500.00.

I haven't included the costs of additional complications, etc. etc. But in total, I have spent over $40,000.00 on medical bills.
God willing, Ember will be 9 on February 27th. She still is a force to be reckoned with and loves life.

I thought I had done everything right. I contacted the Canadian Kennel Club for a breeder reference. I contacted the Canadian Keeshond Club and provincial clubs in both BC and Alberta. I was repeatedly told that Ember's breeder was the best in Canada, and had the winningest dogs. I thought I was buying a sound and healthy dog. Instead I ended up buying a dog that was a result of severe inline breeding in order to produce a champion confirmation dog at the expense of health. All three of the disorders I listed above, had a hereditary genetic factor. Based on her genetic makeup, Ember was doomed before she was even born.

I owe Ember my life and never once have I resented her for the expenses I have occurred. I had a little equity in my apartment, so what's another 5 or 7 years on the mortgage. I'm alive because of that little dog and she has been a wonderful companion during some of the most difficult years of my life.

TerriHolt
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by TerriHolt » Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:04 am

awww, that made my eye's fill up :( she's a tough little puppy... i'm sorry you both had to go thru that and she was at such a young age... i won't get started on the kc issues but it does go to show, and give a very important insight as to why you should have insurance...

There’s a battle between two wolves inside us all.
One is Evil. It’s anger, jealousy, greed, resentment, inferiority, lies and ego.
The other is Good. It’s joy, peace, love, hope, humility, kindness and truth.

The wolf that wins? The one you feed!

~ Cherokee Proverb

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity... I'm not sure about the former.

~ Albert Einstein

AngieH
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by AngieH » Fri Jan 13, 2012 11:14 am

Your story with Ember is both an inspiration and acautionary tale. Any way you hear it, it is a beautiful testamony of your love for each other.
~Nin

JulieSmith
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by JulieSmith » Fri Jan 13, 2012 12:15 pm

You are lucky to have a wonderful dog and she is Lucky to have you. Insurance is very important we all hope our dog will be healthy, but you never know what will happen. A KC registered breeder and dog is no guarantee of health unfortunately, it is such a shame that the KC put looks above health, but that is another topic.

Sylvaen
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Sylvaen » Fri Jan 13, 2012 3:14 pm

Unfortunately 'Pet Insurance' is a completely unheard-of concept here in Croatia - most vets here don't even know that it exists in other (more developed) parts of the world. It seems that no one here has thought of it yet (still) - lol.

Booma
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Booma » Fri Jan 13, 2012 4:26 pm

Quick deb, start your own, you'll make a fortune (or lose one)
Image Image

AZDehlin
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by AZDehlin » Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:42 pm

Kyliedelonge wrote:Quick deb, start your own, you'll make a fortune (or lose one)
Haha :lol: :lol: :lol:

JulieSmith
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by JulieSmith » Fri Jan 13, 2012 11:50 pm

Sylvaen wrote:Unfortunately 'Pet Insurance' is a completely unheard-of concept here in Croatia - most vets here don't even know that it exists in other (more developed) parts of the world. It seems that no one here has thought of it yet (still) - lol.
That is a shame, I suppose that you could always put some money aside in a savings account in case of emergency, easier said than done I know, well for me it is :roll:

nivenj
Tamtastic (Apprentice)
Tamtastic (Apprentice)

Post by nivenj » Thu Apr 12, 2012 2:36 pm

More Than insurance have 3 definitions, pedigree, Cross-Breed and mixed. Strangely they define this as "Pedigree is when both parents are the same pedigree breed, Cross-Breed is when both parents are from different pedigree breeds, and mixed is when its a mix of 3 or more breeds or an indeterminate breed". Considering the Tamaskan lineage was bourne from many different pedigrees where does the Tam fit into this definition?
We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit.” --Aristotle *

arianwenarie
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by arianwenarie » Thu Apr 12, 2012 3:04 pm

I believe some insurance companies list Tamaskan as an option. However, if you don't really care to have your Tam listed as such on insurance papers, listing him/her as a "large mixed breed" results in cheaper insurance rates for the same coverage. ;)

nivenj
Tamtastic (Apprentice)
Tamtastic (Apprentice)

Post by nivenj » Thu Apr 12, 2012 3:46 pm

arianwenarie wrote:I believe some insurance companies list Tamaskan as an option. However, if you don't really care to have your Tam listed as such on insurance papers, listing him/her as a "large mixed breed" results in cheaper insurance rates for the same coverage. ;)
Yeah I've noticed that, Petplan £33.70 for Tamaskan, £19.40 for large Cross-Breed. Go figure :roll:
We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit.” --Aristotle *

Blustag
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Blustag » Thu Apr 12, 2012 4:29 pm

Just remember people that if you list as a crossbreed and god forbid your puppy dies you will not get the true value of puppy paid out.
Only crossbreed price. Also you would need to list your dog with the vet as a crossbreed which would be sad and incorrect. Insurance
companies are intouch with your vet. PETPLAN is a very good Insurance company that I have used for years. Just food for thought.

arianwenarie
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by arianwenarie » Thu Apr 12, 2012 4:45 pm

Blustag wrote:Just remember people that if you list as a crossbreed and god forbid your puppy dies you will not get the true value of puppy paid out.
Only crossbreed price. Also you would need to list your dog with the vet as a crossbreed which would be sad and incorrect. Insurance
companies are intouch with your vet. PETPLAN is a very good Insurance company that I have used for years. Just food for thought.
How would the insurance company determine the value of the puppy though? Just curious, but a very good point, Lynn. Thanks for pointing that out. :) *files it in important notes*

nivenj
Tamtastic (Apprentice)
Tamtastic (Apprentice)

Post by nivenj » Thu Apr 12, 2012 4:53 pm

Blustag wrote:Also you would need to list your dog with the vet as a crossbreed which would be sad and incorrect.
I Agree, I just dont know which I hate more. Registering as a Crossbreed and not pushing the breed forward, or allowing myself to be gouged by a corporate company who's only reason for charging me more is the likelihood that I can afford to pay more. If Tams where a breed with known medical problems then I could understand, but from what I understand its the opposite and Tams have been actively and carefully bred to produce a healthier breed. If anything we should be getting a discount!

I'm going to keep looking, but ultimately I wont risk any sort of policy invalidation. If the insurers decide to register as a crossbreed because their systems dont have Tamaskan, then thats ok I suppose, but I'll be making sure I put him forward as a Tamaskan.

JulieSmith
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by JulieSmith » Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:30 pm

I use www.greeninsurancecompany.co.uk.

They do not recognise Tamaskan so you have to register them as large cross breed. I have not had to claim for any vet treatment yet, but when we lost Thor they paid out the full amount it cost to buy him, they did not even require proof of purchase price, they just took the proof the vet sent them for the death, did not seem to matter that he was registered as a Tamaskan at the vets. I thought they were good value for what they offer, but as I say I have not claimed any vet treatment, so can not say how good they are on paying out for treatment.

nivenj
Tamtastic (Apprentice)
Tamtastic (Apprentice)

Post by nivenj » Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:41 pm

JulieSmith wrote:I use http://www.greeninsurancecompany.co.uk.

They do not recognise Tamaskan so you have to register them as large cross breed. I have not had to claim for any vet treatment yet, but when we lost Thor they paid out the full amount it cost to buy him, they did not even require proof of purchase price, they just took the proof the vet sent them for the death, did not seem to matter that he was registered as a Tamaskan at the vets. I thought they were good value for what they offer, but as I say I have not claimed any vet treatment, so can not say how good they are on paying out for treatment.
I did look at these Julie but I was worried that they explicitly exclude breeds like the Utonagan & Northern Inuit. Considering the Tam heritage I didn't want to risk it. I'm just very untrusting of insurers. :-S