Spay/Neuter

All topics pertaining to health and diseases that may affect your Tamaskan Dog, as well as treatment.
Jamille
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Spay/Neuter

Post by Jamille » Mon Aug 27, 2012 4:06 pm

What age would you recommend spaying/neutering a pup, or if you should at all? I know there are tons of different opinions here, and I want to know if Im making the right choices. Some info I found:

-Wait until they are fully matured, which is 3 years.
-Dogs have been known to develop health issues when they're spayed/neutered at an early age.
-Its better if they get all the normal growth hormones to mature and develop properly.
Please correct me if I got anything wrong :)

I tried looking for other threads, but only found this one: http://www.tamaskan-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1383 Please direct me to others that I have missed :)

When we got Jazzy, we got her strictly as a pet dog, not a show/breeding dog. We had to sign a spay/neuter contract stating that we will spay her at the appropriate age. We got her spayed at around 6.5-7 months old, and she is perfectly fine now, just as bubbly and energetic as before. Most breeders here do make you sign contracts like this for a pet home, so they know they're puppy won't be carelessly bred with another dog, whether on purpose or by accident. You have to send them proof you did get them fixed. If they find you have bred your dog, they have the right to take it back, which I think is relatively fair.

skyedream
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Re: Spay/Neuter

Post by skyedream » Mon Aug 27, 2012 4:23 pm

Jamille wrote: When we got Jazzy, we got her strictly as a pet dog, not a show/breeding dog. We had to sign a spay/neuter contract stating that we will spay her at the appropriate age. We got her spayed at around 6.5-7 months old, and she is perfectly fine now, just as bubbly and energetic as before. Most breeders here do make you sign contracts like this for a pet home, so they know they're puppy won't be carelessly bred with another dog, whether on purpose or by accident. You have to send them proof you did get them fixed. If they find you have bred your dog, they have the right to take it back, which I think is relatively fair.
They may have the right but I don't think it would be so easy for them to actually take back a dog that has a new home, even with a written contract. They'd have to fight pretty hard and waste a lot of money on lawyers. But of course people should always be honest and forthcoming when buying a dog and make their intentions clear to the breeder (in a perfect world!)

Anyway... I don't really think there is one right answer to this apart from spay/neuter after 6 months old. I got Maya spayed at 6 months before her first season and while there is now virtually no chance of her developing a mammary tumour I don't think that I would make the same decision again. I have no evidence that the early spaying had a detrimental effect on her but she is quite a dominant dog and part of me thinks her occasional aggressive reactivity to other dogs might be down to her early spay. Of course there are many other possible causes but I would still let my next bitch have one season if I decided to spay again.

claireyclaire
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by claireyclaire » Mon Aug 27, 2012 5:34 pm

My vets produced a useful article explaining the pro's and cons of neutering, here is the link

http://www.purtonvets.co.uk/purtonblog/ ... -cons.html
“You can take the dog out of the Wolf Pack, But you can't take the Wolf Pack out of the dog"

Jamille
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by Jamille » Mon Aug 27, 2012 10:46 pm

skyedream wrote:I have no evidence that the early spaying had a detrimental effect on her but she is quite a dominant dog and part of me thinks her occasional aggressive reactivity to other dogs might be down to her early spay.
I never thought of that, Jazzy has never shown any aggressive behavior, but is on the dominant side. I always thought it was just her naturally, but thats an interesting thought.

And also, thanks for the great link :D

Tiantai
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Tiantai » Tue Sep 04, 2012 2:16 am

While I agree with 90% of the article, I just want to point out that castrating/fixing or whatever one may want to call it does NOT guaranteed that a compulsive roamer will actually reduce on that habit nor does it guaranteed that a dog will 100% become more submissive as this is a common misconception that I often hear from certain owners of toy breeds including my distant aunt who still believes in them.

Don't get me wrong, while it can reduce some unwanted behaviours to some extent, I just wanted to note that it doesn't mean that it would actually stop certain unwanted behaviours. In the past I remember seeing Chihuahua Tutu still continued to act very dominant over Snoopy and sometimes towards other unfamilliar faces even though he was castrated and Snoopy's roaming habits did not decrease when he was finally fixed either. These were problems that my relatives had to deal with for those dog's entire lives, well, that was until two years ago when the dogs grew very old. I also had some problems with Buddy whom despite having been castrated while I was just a baby he did once try to mount* on a female Havanese in heat in 2001 while I was out on a walk with him down a creek on a break and an 11-year-old Lucas didn't understand what was going on until the female's owner freaked :shock: . The woman even made me pick up Buddy to check to see if he was neutered (and once again I didn't understand ANY of that stuff back then as I was not taught about puberty and reproductions until age 12... sorry if that came out wrong :oops: ). Anyways, I think I made my point ;)

*I don't really know if he was actually trying to mount on her, maybe he was just trying to show his authority over the female, but either way, the owner did freak!