Tail chewer

All topics pertaining to health and diseases that may affect your Tamaskan Dog, as well as treatment.
iamnic
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Tail chewer

Post by iamnic » Mon Aug 06, 2012 5:16 pm

Last night we caught Naima chewing on the tip of her tail. She didn't break skin, and in fact was only chewing on her fur. She somehow managed to chew off the nicely tapered part of her tail and left it with a flat-top buzz cut of sorts. It actually looks like someone took a pair of scissors and just blunted the tip.

Has anyone come across this before? We checked her for fleas (none), and she doesn't have any allergies that we know of. She's on a grain free diet, and we haven't changed detergents/air fresheners/or anything environmental that we can think of. Her sister hasn't exhibited any of this behavior either.

I'm hoping this is just a strange behavioral thing that we can work her out of, as it doesn't seem to any super detrimental effects aside from her looking silly.

Any thoughts are appreciated. Thanks!

HiTenshi16
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Re: Tail chewer

Post by HiTenshi16 » Mon Aug 06, 2012 5:34 pm

Maybe have a vet check for mites? Our Shepherd mix had a spot on her head she kept scratching at till it started becoming like a scab that started to grow. I forget how our vet says exactly how she got them, something about getting it from the mother and they could only get it under 2 years old when their immune system drops, like from stress. They said it was some kind of mange (can't remember the exact name).

Sylvaen
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Sylvaen » Mon Aug 06, 2012 6:01 pm

HiTenshi16 wrote:I forget how our vet says exactly how she got them, something about getting it from the mother and they could only get it under 2 years old when their immune system drops, like from stress. They said it was some kind of mange (can't remember the exact name).
Demodex?
The future lies before you, like a path of pure white snow...
Be careful how you tread it, for every step will show.

HiTenshi16
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by HiTenshi16 » Mon Aug 06, 2012 6:19 pm

Sylvaen wrote:
HiTenshi16 wrote:I forget how our vet says exactly how she got them, something about getting it from the mother and they could only get it under 2 years old when their immune system drops, like from stress. They said it was some kind of mange (can't remember the exact name).
Demodex?
Yes, I believe that was it :) Thanks.

Nino
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Nino » Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:21 pm

Not sure I got it 100% - did she chew off all the way to the skin?

Kovo have had hotspot a couple of times
which is because his coat is so very thick and gets very warm, together with a bit of moisture it is a great breeding place for the natural staphs and become a problem if not treated..

second time around his coat in a nice area around the hotspot was cut down to only a couple of millimetres so the hotspot could get air, and was then just kept clean and dry, no vet was needed (vet gave an instruction first time on how to take care of it if he got it again)
>> Nino <<

iamnic
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by iamnic » Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:31 pm

Nino wrote:Not sure I got it 100% - did she chew off all the way to the skin?
No, she didn't get near to the skin at all! That's what is so weird about it. It literally looks like she just wanted to give herself a hair trim. The tip of her tail is the only place on her body that she's done this.

I did a quick Google search about this, and I got a couple of hits where a husky owner said her dog did the same thing (in addition to anal gland issues, fleas, allergies etc). Unfortunately, there weren't any helpful answers given to her. I'm hoping this was just a momentary lapse of sanity on Naima's part and she doesn't do it again. :? I just can't figure out what might have caused it, especially since she hadn't been put under any stress recently either.

Sylvaen
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Sylvaen » Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:52 pm

could she have gotten something stuck in the hair? (chewing gum, grass seeds, etc?)
perhaps something was snagged and she chewed it out?

AZDehlin
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by AZDehlin » Mon Aug 06, 2012 11:21 pm

My Zephyr has done this since I got him. He has been checked for everything that can possibly cause him to do this and we got nothing. I have started to notice a pattern when he does it. It seems to happen when he has some energy he hasn't burned off and he has been cooped up in the house due to weather. He will pull chunks of fur out of the end of his tail and if I tell him no he will then proceed to try and grab his back legs and talk back/woo.

Nino
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Nino » Tue Aug 07, 2012 10:01 am

if it's not near the skin I wouldn't be worried..
I would guess she had either been bored or as Sylvaen wrote got something stuck in the coat..
When Sølve (my girl) just enjoys herself not really doing anything she will sometimes just lie and chew on a piece of fabric (from her toys) she does that when nothing else is to do, but I wouldn't put it past her if she would go for some of her coat if she was really bored..
>> Nino <<

Misaya
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Misaya » Tue Aug 07, 2012 1:24 pm

I think dogs just like to chew, especially if they are at a loose end. I suppose its a bit like a baby sucking its thumb, they must find it comforting :)
- Fiona -

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. - Ambrose Bierce

iamnic
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by iamnic » Tue Aug 07, 2012 9:00 pm

Thanks everyone! I'm really hoping it's just because she was bored or had something stuck in it. We haven't caught her doing it since then, but I'll keep monitoring it nonetheless. Silly pup.

Hawthorne
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Hawthorne » Wed Sep 12, 2012 7:12 pm

Misaya wrote:I think dogs just like to chew, especially if they are at a loose end. I suppose its a bit like a baby sucking its thumb, they must find it comforting :)
Or like my niece who decided to cut her own hair. :twisted:
Tracy Graziano
http://www.hawthornetamaskan.com

bark as if no one can hear you
catch the ball on the fly
lick like there's no end to kissing
sleep on a sofa nearby
jump like the sky is the limit
sit by the fire with friends
stay with the ones who love you
run like the road never ends

Sylvaen
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Sylvaen » Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:32 pm

Hawthorne wrote:
Misaya wrote:I think dogs just like to chew, especially if they are at a loose end. I suppose its a bit like a baby sucking its thumb, they must find it comforting :)
Or like my niece who decided to cut her own hair. :twisted:
I cut my sister's hair when we were really young (around 5 or 6 years old, or so) - I got in soooooo much trouble lol :oops: :(