Stomach tacking

All topics pertaining to health and diseases that may affect your Tamaskan Dog, as well as treatment.
iamnic
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Stomach tacking

Post by iamnic » Thu Jun 07, 2012 9:57 pm

Hello! I was hoping I could get some insight into everyone's thoughts on preventative stomach tacking. My vet is recommending it since she is a larger breed dog, and said that if done at the same time as a spay, the additional time under anesthesia is practically nothing.

Are Tams prone to bloat/torsion?

Thanks!

Rahne

Re: Stomach tacking

Post by Rahne » Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:01 pm

I have not heard of Tams being prone to this, in fact I have never heard this has happened to a Tam. I don't think I would do this but I haven't looked into the subject...

Gaby
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Gaby » Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:03 pm

I've heard that the risc of a bloat is bigger when a dog gets kibble. I feed my dogs raw, and keep them quiet after and before they have eaten, so I wouldn't do a stomach tacking. But I didn't look in the subject either. ;)

HiTenshi16
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by HiTenshi16 » Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:06 pm

Never heard of this being done, Ulric eats kibble and loves to play afterwards, but we makes sure he is relaxed for 30 minutes before and after meals.

TParham86
Tamational (Expert)
Tamational (Expert)

Post by TParham86 » Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:36 pm

I heard that bloating is more possible when you only feed the dog once a day, Never heard of the stomach tacking though?

Gaby
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Gaby » Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:45 pm

TParham86 wrote:I heard that bloating is more possible when you only feed the dog once a day, Never heard of the stomach tacking though?
I think that that is that the stomach is fixed so it can turn any more? But I don't know how to explain it in English, haha.

TParham86
Tamational (Expert)
Tamational (Expert)

Post by TParham86 » Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:48 pm

Gaby wrote:
TParham86 wrote:I heard that bloating is more possible when you only feed the dog once a day, Never heard of the stomach tacking though?
I think that that is that the stomach is fixed so it can turn any more? But I don't know how to explain it in English, haha.
Oh ok, I think I get what you mean :P Thanks Gaby :D

Tarheel
Tamtastic (Apprentice)
Tamtastic (Apprentice)

Post by Tarheel » Thu Jun 07, 2012 11:01 pm

As far as I know Tamaskans do not have this problem. For so reason I have heard of this, It may be from reading another forum, but it could be that one Tamaskan has had this surgery. I would get in touch with Blustag through PM or via email and see what advise she can offer.
In my opinion, I would not opt for any unnecessary surgery as there can always be complications and if the risk outways the benefits, don't do it.

I do not have an expert medical opinion on this so don't take what I say as gospel.
John Bannow
Tarheel Tamaskan
Committee of Breeders

iamnic
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by iamnic » Thu Jun 07, 2012 11:04 pm

Yes, that's basically what it is. The stomach is tacked to the inside of the body wall to prevent it from flipping/twisting if bloating occurs. This link is pretty informative: http://www.vetsurgerycentral.com/proph_gastropexy.htm

I truly hope that Tam's aren't too susceptible to bloat. I watched a youtube vid of an akita with bloat and it was horrifying :( While the stomach tack doesn't prevent bloat from actually happening, it could prevent the stomach flip, which is the potentially fatal part.

Naima eats raw three times a day at the moment, though I will have to work on keeping her quiet for some time after eating because she would prefer to just play with our other dog :roll:

TerriHolt
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by TerriHolt » Thu Jun 07, 2012 11:57 pm

Wasn't it Jennies CED, Riker last year?

Unless it's something that becomes common, i don't think it is something that needs doing...

There’s a battle between two wolves inside us all.
One is Evil. It’s anger, jealousy, greed, resentment, inferiority, lies and ego.
The other is Good. It’s joy, peace, love, hope, humility, kindness and truth.

The wolf that wins? The one you feed!

~ Cherokee Proverb

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity... I'm not sure about the former.

~ Albert Einstein

Nino
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Nino » Fri Jun 08, 2012 12:40 am

Isn't bloat something that is mostly prone in dogs with big deep chests, like that of a Great Dane, Greyhound and these kinds of dogs?

I have never heard of it in Tams either, and I wouldn't do it without reason.
Sølve is a dog that have her food to eat all day, so she rarely is full enough to need to stay calm after eating.

Stomach Tracking is that where you sew the stomach to the wall of the chest so it won't turn?
>> Nino <<

Blustag
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Blustag » Fri Jun 08, 2012 8:20 am

Stomach Torsion as it is known by is a condition that mainly affects large dogs with deep narrow chests such as the Deerhound, Borzoi
and so on. There are several causes such as eating too large meals too fast, drinking way too much too fast, exercising right after a meal....the list goes on. I have 'never' come across it in a Tamaskan and I would certainly 'not' recommend the preventitive
operation that your vet suggests.

iamnic
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by iamnic » Fri Jun 08, 2012 3:56 pm

Great--thanks for all the replies everyone!

blufawn
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by blufawn » Fri Jun 08, 2012 6:56 pm

God that sounds dramatic, I wonder how many people he has conned out of money by suggesting their dog is at risk because it is a large dog?!?!
I dont know of any breeds used to make up the Tamaskan that sufferf from Torsion, although I could be wrong.
but you are right Terri, Riker my CED did suffer with torsion and we nearly lost him, it is unclear the reason he got it as he had not eaten for almost 24hrs and it was first thing in the morning before his exercise so its a mystery...
I also had Deerhounds at one point and to combat torsion many breeders feed their dogs out of raised bowls (lifted high off the floor) and also dont let them exercise for at least 2 hours after eating. They also dont let their Deerhounds drink too much at any one time.
I have NEVER heard of anyone stomach tacking their deerhounds or even suggesting it, even though it is a real issue in the breed.
I was told to feed bananas and cheese although im not sure if that helped, she did love them.
If you can meet with Triumph and Disaster
And treat those two impostors just the same;
If you can bear to hear the truth you've spoken
Twisted by knaves to make a trap for fools,
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!