Rabies

All topics pertaining to health and diseases that may affect your Tamaskan Dog, as well as treatment.
TerriHolt
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Rabies

Post by TerriHolt » Thu May 24, 2012 11:02 am

Be warned... I am about to ask a really dumb question :D

Right, an old lady went to India and got bitten by a dog which in turn gave her Rabies... She went 9 weeks ago (so yahoo news says, so the accuracy is to be somewhat desired) and they have only just hospitalized her in London... Unless she actually bites an animal or spits on one, it won't reintroduce rabies to the UK would it?

Feel's like a really silly question but i'd rather ask and protect my animals in time than regret not asking at all to save embarrassment and making my IQ look less than a childs... I know nothing about rabies except it comes from the bite of an animal via saliva, because it's something we have never had to worry about hear so the need to know has never come up.

There’s a battle between two wolves inside us all.
One is Evil. It’s anger, jealousy, greed, resentment, inferiority, lies and ego.
The other is Good. It’s joy, peace, love, hope, humility, kindness and truth.

The wolf that wins? The one you feed!

~ Cherokee Proverb

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity... I'm not sure about the former.

~ Albert Einstein

Tiantai
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Re: Ramble Away...

Post by Tiantai » Thu May 24, 2012 11:36 am

You're right Terri, that IS a lame question :D

http://www.fas.org/ahead/rabiesfacts.htm

Sylvaen
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Sylvaen » Thu May 24, 2012 12:00 pm

The virus is usually present in the nerves and saliva of a symptomatic rabid animal. The route of infection is usually, but not always, by a bite. In many cases the infected animal is exceptionally aggressive, may attack without provocation, and exhibits otherwise-uncharacteristic behavior.

Transmission between humans is extremely rare. A few cases have been recorded through transplant surgery.

After a typical human infection by bite, the virus enters the peripheral nervous system. It then travels along the nerves toward the central nervous system. During this phase, the virus cannot be easily detected within the host, and vaccination may still confer cell-mediated immunity to prevent symptomatic rabies. When the virus reaches the brain, it rapidly causes encephalitis. This is called the prodromal phase, and is the beginning of the symptoms. Once the patient becomes symptomatic, treatment is almost never effective and mortality is over 99%. Rabies may also inflame the spinal cord, producing transverse myelitis.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rabies

That "Rabies Facts" website isn't entirely accurate, Lucas. It doesn't take the "Milwaukee protocol" into account:
There were two survivors out of 25 patients treated under the first protocol. A further 10 patients have been treated under the revised protocol and there have been a further two survivors. The anesthetic drug ketamine has shown the potential for rabies virus inhibition in rats, and is used as part of the Milwaukee protocol.

On April 10, 2008 in Cali, Colombia, a boy of 11 was reported to survive rabies and the induced coma without noticeable brain damage.

On June 12, 2011, Precious Reynolds, an eight-year-old girl from Humboldt County, California, became the third reported person in the world and the second in the United States to have recovered from rabies without receiving post-exposure prophylaxis.
That being said, I don't think this woman in London will survive - she is already showing advanced symptoms and her probability of survival (at this point in time, with such delayed treatment) is probably only around 5-8% at best.
The future lies before you, like a path of pure white snow...
Be careful how you tread it, for every step will show.

TerriHolt
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by TerriHolt » Thu May 24, 2012 12:30 pm

Well, i did warn you :lol: ... but a lame question, to me is better than losing my pets. Thanks Lucas.
Sylvaen wrote:That being said, I don't think this woman in London will survive - she is already showing advanced symptoms and her probability of survival (at this point in time, with such delayed treatment) is probably only around 5-8% at best.
I thought the same thing, the poor lady and her family :( I wish them the best...

One is Evil. It’s anger, jealousy, greed, resentment, inferiority, lies and ego.

~ Cherokee Proverb

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity... I'm not sure about the former.

~ Albert Einstein

Booma
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Re: Rabies

Post by Booma » Thu May 24, 2012 12:38 pm

Wow I didn't know you died if you got it. Now I guess I'm glad australias uber crazy and we don't have it here.
Image Image

Tiantai
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Tiantai » Thu May 24, 2012 1:02 pm

That's very sad seeing that she could not be treated in time

Sylvaen
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Sylvaen » Thu May 24, 2012 1:26 pm

She should have gotten treatment immediately - the same day she was bitten.
Shame so many doctors in the UK sent her home before she was correctly diagnosed though... now it's probably too late.
The future lies before you, like a path of pure white snow...
Be careful how you tread it, for every step will show.

TerriHolt
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by TerriHolt » Thu May 24, 2012 1:44 pm

Sylvaen wrote:She should have gotten treatment immediately - the same day she was bitten.
Shame so many doctors in the UK sent her home before she was correctly diagnosed though... now it's probably too late.
Standard uk practice, doesn't surprise me all that much :(

~ Cherokee Proverb

~ Albert Einstein

Tiantai
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Tiantai » Thu May 24, 2012 4:17 pm

TerriHolt wrote:
Well if that's the "standard UK practice" then it is absolute bs

arianwenarie
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by arianwenarie » Thu May 24, 2012 4:20 pm

Sylvaen wrote:She should have gotten treatment immediately - the same day she was bitten.
I am wondering if she had mentioned being bitten by a dog in India...and if so, then why didn't doctors test for possible rabies infection? Makes me wonder...

Tatzel
Tamtastic (Apprentice)
Tamtastic (Apprentice)

Post by Tatzel » Fri May 25, 2012 1:22 pm

If I'd ever go to India I'd get rabies shots before going there. Frankly, rabies is a big problem in India and many people get bitten by rabit dogs every year (and die of it, too, because medical treatment often is lacking)

I heard from a german hunter that there weren't any rabies cases in wild animals here in Germany for many years now, appearently it died out around here as they've treaten wild animals with anti-rabies-vaccinated baits they left in the woods.

TerriHolt
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by TerriHolt » Fri May 25, 2012 1:55 pm

fangjingtuanlucas wrote:
TerriHolt wrote:
Well if that's the "standard UK practice" then it is absolute bs
In 1998, my uncle went to the doctors for 6/7 month with unbearable headache... Only then did they do tests and it turned out to be a brain tumor that spread. The doctor in hospital said if he had been referred sooner, they could have possibly done something.

My grandad has also been going with backache for many years and they been giving him arthritis medication, it was only during one of his scans to see how far his lung cancer spread a few month ago that they learn it's a huge cyst on his spine and one of his kidneys have "been removed"...
arianwenarie wrote:I am wondering if she had mentioned being bitten by a dog in India...and if so, then why didn't doctors test for possible rabies infection? Makes me wonder...
If she never told them she got bitten, they wouldn't have even thought of rabies... there have only been 4... well, 6 now (someone getting tested for rabies in Leeds) cases in the past 12 years.
Tatzel wrote:If I'd ever go to India I'd get rabies shots before going there. Frankly, rabies is a big problem in India and many people get bitten by rabit dogs every year (and die of it, too, because medical treatment often is lacking)
Rabies vaccines have to be paid for... so it'll have been the old case of "oh it'll never happen to me, why should i pay for it?" :roll: ... Any thing to save a pound or 2... I'd get every vaccine i'd possibly need. With my luck, i'd catch everything and more :lol:

~ Cherokee Proverb

~ Albert Einstein

arianwenarie
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by arianwenarie » Fri May 25, 2012 2:29 pm

I also heard Rabies vaccines for people hurt pretty bad... I don't deal well with pain. :?

TerriHolt
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by TerriHolt » Fri May 25, 2012 2:43 pm

arianwenarie wrote:I also heard Rabies vaccines for people hurt pretty bad... I don't deal well with pain. :?
I think it's less painful now... Never had one but i know someone who has...

~ Cherokee Proverb

~ Albert Einstein

Katlin
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Katlin » Fri May 25, 2012 3:07 pm

I have! Hehe the rabies vaccine is transdermal and they use an insulin syringe! It's super easy (set of three shots) and will protect you (70% of the time) for life. I have to get titres done every year but that's fine by me. The required immunity was 5.0 something or other and I was 7.5 so I'm pretty much set. Most people working in the animal industry have to have them now. That said it's about $600. I got them for free because school provided it.

It kinda sucks though because 60% of my class had allergic reactions (2 quite severe) which are itching, hives, super watery eyes, etc...I didn't envy them!

If you mean the shot AFTER you contract rabies, it's not bad...it's in the arm and I think it's 1 per week for 6 weeks (???). Better than what it used to be, a massive 3 inch needle right into the abdomen!
Polarose Tamaskan
Polardog Outfitters
Owner of Sierra Kaweah RN RI TDI TRN TTDN CRN-MCL @ Polarose

Tatzel
Tamtastic (Apprentice)
Tamtastic (Apprentice)

Post by Tatzel » Fri May 25, 2012 5:00 pm

I'd rather be safe than sorry, and I think with our healthcare system I'd probably get the shots for free if going abord into a country which is known for it's rate of rabies among strays.

Speaking of vaccination, I think I'm actually overdue for getting a tetanus booster. So much for rather being safe than sorry >XD

arianwenarie
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by arianwenarie » Fri May 25, 2012 5:44 pm

Katlin wrote:Better than what it used to be, a massive 3 inch needle right into the abdomen!
Yes, I am sure the horror stories I've heard is THAT. :shock:

Tiantai
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Tiantai » Fri May 25, 2012 7:27 pm

Well the methods for treating rabies is constantly changing one decade after another. I'm ALWAYS looking forward to hearing about an improved treatment against the virus but these tiny proteins with DNA are also constantly changing as well so I guess it's a never-ending battle. From my understanding, like living microbes, the non-living DNA containing proteins called viruses of which rabies are that do become vulnerable to older treatments after a decade if they are no longer exposed to them and thus would lose their abilities to resist what they're no longer threatened by only to be overwhelmed by it again upon treatment.

If only those infected individuals could have been treated early so that they would have survived. Yet, i always find news articles about people getting infected and going through long processes before they're finally treated and by that time the virus has already taken hold of them and cannot all be deactivated (I used that word for viruses cuz they're not alive) by the treatments.
Tatzel wrote: Speaking of vaccination, I think I'm actually overdue for getting a tetanus booster. So much for rather being safe than sorry >XD
:lol: , you're just as paranoid as I am then

Katlin
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Katlin » Sat May 26, 2012 5:22 am

Tatzel wrote:I'd rather be safe than sorry, and I think with our healthcare system I'd probably get the shots for free if going abord into a country which is known for it's rate of rabies among strays.

Speaking of vaccination, I think I'm actually overdue for getting a tetanus booster. So much for rather being safe than sorry >XD
Tetnus *shudders* I hate IM (intramuscular) ones...ow ow ow!
Polarose Tamaskan
Polardog Outfitters

JulieSmith
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by JulieSmith » Mon May 28, 2012 12:04 am

Katlin wrote:
Tatzel wrote:I'd rather be safe than sorry, and I think with our healthcare system I'd probably get the shots for free if going abord into a country which is known for it's rate of rabies among strays.

In the UK once you have had your tetanus injections at school they say you have life time immunity so do not bother with boosters after that.

Marshall
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by Marshall » Mon May 28, 2012 1:12 am

Katlin wrote:

Ack that just made my arm hurt just thinking about it :lol:

Hawthorne
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Hawthorne » Mon Jun 04, 2012 6:31 pm

Here in the US tetnus is given once every 10 years.

I also have a rabies vaccine. And a Lyme vaccine, too. (though it's not available on the market any more) I got the rabies vaccine because I was working with coyotes when I was a college student. The vaccine made my arm sore for a few days, that's all.

Did they change the rabies shots given after exposure? Last I knew they were administered in the stomach.
Tracy Graziano
http://www.hawthornetamaskan.com

bark as if no one can hear you
catch the ball on the fly
lick like there's no end to kissing
sleep on a sofa nearby
jump like the sky is the limit
sit by the fire with friends
stay with the ones who love you
run like the road never ends

AZDehlin
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by AZDehlin » Mon Jun 04, 2012 6:34 pm

Hawthorne wrote:
Did they change the rabies shots given after exposure? Last I knew they were administered in the stomach.
I was wondering the same thing, last I heard it was still in the stomach.

arianwenarie
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by arianwenarie » Mon Jun 04, 2012 6:36 pm

AZDehlin wrote:
Hawthorne wrote:
/shudders

Why would it have to be in the stomach though? o_O

Katlin
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Katlin » Mon Jun 04, 2012 7:16 pm

AZDehlin wrote:
Hawthorne wrote:
After suspected exposure it is administered directly into the abdomen.
Polarose Tamaskan
Polardog Outfitters

Hawthorne
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Hawthorne » Mon Jun 04, 2012 8:10 pm

Eek. That's why I got the preventative vaccine. Sadly, they didn't give me any rabies tags for my collar :D
Tracy Graziano
http://www.hawthornetamaskan.com

bark as if no one can hear you
catch the ball on the fly
lick like there's no end to kissing
sleep on a sofa nearby
jump like the sky is the limit
sit by the fire with friends
stay with the ones who love you
run like the road never ends

arianwenarie
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by arianwenarie » Mon Jun 04, 2012 8:19 pm

Hawthorne wrote:Eek. That's why I got the preventative vaccine. Sadly, they didn't give me any rabies tags for my collar :D
LOL. Did they at least give you a rabies vaccination certificate? ;)

Katlin
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Katlin » Mon Jun 04, 2012 10:29 pm

arianwenarie wrote:
Hawthorne wrote:Eek. That's why I got the preventative vaccine. Sadly, they didn't give me any rabies tags for my collar :D
Yep :D They tell your your immunity and it's printed on your private / public health records for life...I wanted a tag though :( :lol:
Polarose Tamaskan
Polardog Outfitters

arianwenarie
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by arianwenarie » Mon Jun 04, 2012 11:54 pm

Katlin wrote:
arianwenarie wrote:
Yep :D They tell your your immunity and it's printed on your private / public health records for life...I wanted a tag though :( :lol:
Cool!! Maybe you could make a tag for yourself? Lol.