phantom pregnancy

All topics pertaining to health and diseases that may affect your Tamaskan Dog, as well as treatment.
juice
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

phantom pregnancy

Post by juice » Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:05 am

lexi is having a phantom pregnancy. she has been to the vet and he doesnt seem to worried about her at the moment. i on the other hand am a little concerned as she has lost nearly 2kg in about 5 weeks and is not eating very much. i dont really want to start adding meat to her food but she could do with eating a bit more. she had her season, 1st day of bleeding 10th feb. also i have read alot about this and there are alot of people saying that you should spey your dog if they have a phantom, dont want to do this as we are planning on breeding her. we have never had a bitch do this before so any advice would be much appreiciated.

JulieSmith
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Re: phantom pregnancy

Post by JulieSmith » Mon Apr 23, 2012 12:48 pm

Saga had a small phantom pregnancy after her first season. She went off her food got the runs a bit and her mlk gland swelled up. She also lost about 2 kg. it lasted a week or so then she went back to normal. I have had saga spayed as I was not planning on breeding. If it is. If she is not too bad I would see how she is next season it might improve, if not you can decide what you do then. I hope she goes back to her normal self soon.

Nino
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Nino » Mon Apr 23, 2012 2:54 pm

I would probably try giving some food for bitches that actually is pregnant, puppy food I believe you give them to help a bit on the weight loss.

The false pregnansy is pretty common specially within breeds/dogs that are closer to the wolves as far as I know..
With wolves it's because only the Alpha female is allowed to breed, but to help with the litter it's normal that other females gets milk etc.
I even know of some people letting their bitches adopt pups that are in need of a mother (because of too many pups, tragic cercomstanses or the mother not wanting the pups etc.) and these pups does just as good as the pups who weren't adopted :)
>> Nino <<

Tiantai
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Tiantai » Tue Apr 24, 2012 6:01 am

Nino wrote: The false pregnansy is pretty common specially within breeds/dogs that are closer to the wolves as far as I know..
I'd have to say that pseudocyesis is common in any breed as long as the female was not spayed, not just the northern spitz (whom are, biologically speaking, just as close to the wolf as the pit bulls, pomeranians, and any other dog breed). As far as I recall, some bitches regardless of breed can still experience this even after being fixed and I've seen one English bulldog "adopt" false puppies out of her owner's soccer ball :? and a stuffed cardinal. I just couldn't help laugh at that even when the owner got pissed at me for it. :lol:

I do have a question though. If a female dog is going through this canine pseudocyesis and you introduce a few newborn pups from another female to this lady, would she actually be able to produce milk for the pups? I've been searching around the net and seen some rumours saying they do and some saying the don't but I don't know since I've never actually seen such thing as this.

Nino
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Nino » Tue Apr 24, 2012 10:19 am

fangjingtuanlucas wrote: I do have a question though. If a female dog is going through this canine pseudocyesis and you introduce a few newborn pups from another female to this lady, would she actually be able to produce milk for the pups? I've been searching around the net and seen some rumours saying they do and some saying the don't but I don't know since I've never actually seen such thing as this.
Some bitches produce milk regardless of having real pups or not when being false pregnant.. (which it's called here in the country btw. :lol: )
I don't know if she will be able to if she does not produce milk already, but I would guess it depends on the individual.. Just as women can produce milk without having produced a child, if given the right stimuli..
>> Nino <<

Tiantai
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Tiantai » Wed Apr 25, 2012 6:40 pm

Nino wrote: Some bitches produce milk regardless of having real pups or not when being false pregnant.. (which it's called here in the country btw. :lol: )
I don't know if she will be able to if she does not produce milk already, but I would guess it depends on the individual.
Alright then, so I guess most can still be like real mothers and breast-feed their adopted pups without actually giving birth. I know most adult dogs have the tendency to look after pups regardless of whether the little ones are theirs or not but the lack of nutritional milk from the females is what I worry about since all pups need it at their juvenile age and should the female not be able to provide it then it's going to harder for her or any other adults in the pack including the owners to raise them up as the artificial powder milk has lower nutritional value for them, at least that's what i heard.

blufawn
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by blufawn » Thu Apr 26, 2012 4:07 pm

I have had a phantom pregnancy with one of my Lhasa Apsos. The worst that happened was a bit of mastitis because she started to produce milk (that wasnt being removed) and so she did need some treatment. The same bitch went on to have a normal litter of puppies the next year.
If you can meet with Triumph and Disaster
And treat those two impostors just the same;
If you can bear to hear the truth you've spoken
Twisted by knaves to make a trap for fools,
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!