Updated Mean Score for Tamaskan Hips 2012

All topics pertaining to health and diseases that may affect your Tamaskan Dog, as well as treatment.
Post Reply
User avatar
blufawn
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)
Posts: 1758
Joined: Sat May 08, 2010 1:10 pm
Location: Lincs, UK

Updated Mean Score for Tamaskan Hips 2012

Post by blufawn » Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:45 am

Based on the study of all hip scored Tamaskan, 63 (excluding preliminary scores, by OFA)

The average score for the Tamaskan Dog in 2012 is

8.5

Thats down 0.4 from last year....... well done everyone :)
If you can meet with Triumph and Disaster
And treat those two impostors just the same;
If you can bear to hear the truth you've spoken
Twisted by knaves to make a trap for fools,
.............................................................
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!

User avatar
Sion
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Posts: 58
Joined: Fri Mar 16, 2012 11:52 am
Location: Northamptonshire

Re: Updated Mean Score for Tamaskan Hips 2012

Post by Sion » Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:51 am

That really is excellent, :D For those like me who need some comparison the link below shows some other breed average hip scores. Congratulations to all the Tamaskan breeders on a job well done.

http://www.bva.co.uk/public/documents/B ... s_2012.pdf
"Progress doesn't come from early risers — progress is made by lazy men looking for easier ways to do things." - Robert Heinlein

User avatar
TerriHolt
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)
Posts: 3274
Joined: Sun Mar 13, 2011 11:56 am
Location: UK, East Yorkshire
Contact:

Re: Updated Mean Score for Tamaskan Hips 2012

Post by TerriHolt » Tue Mar 27, 2012 10:22 am

Congratulations to all the Tam breeders :D
Image

There’s a battle between two wolves inside us all.
One is Evil. It’s anger, jealousy, greed, resentment, inferiority, lies and ego.
The other is Good. It’s joy, peace, love, hope, humility, kindness and truth.

The wolf that wins? The one you feed!

~ Cherokee Proverb

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity... I'm not sure about the former.

~ Albert Einstein

User avatar
Taz
Tamtastic (Apprentice)
Tamtastic (Apprentice)
Posts: 410
Joined: Sat May 08, 2010 4:31 pm
Location: UK

Re: Updated Mean Score for Tamaskan Hips 2012

Post by Taz » Tue Mar 27, 2012 10:52 am

Congratulations guys
"Don't underestimate me.
I know more than I say.
Think more than I speak.
And notice more than you realize".
"you are free to choose
But you are not free
From the consequence of
Your choice "

User avatar
HiTenshi16
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)
Posts: 4802
Joined: Sat May 08, 2010 7:11 pm
Location: Princeton, TX US
Contact:

Re: Updated Mean Score for Tamaskan Hips 2012

Post by HiTenshi16 » Tue Mar 27, 2012 2:09 pm

Well done :D
Image

User avatar
AZDehlin
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)
Posts: 3039
Joined: Wed Jan 26, 2011 4:52 am
Location: Upper Peninsula of Michigan, USA (for now)
Contact:

Re: Updated Mean Score for Tamaskan Hips 2012

Post by AZDehlin » Tue Mar 27, 2012 4:11 pm

This is great :) Hope to see more good hip scores this year!

User avatar
Blustag
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)
Posts: 2971
Joined: Sat May 08, 2010 7:53 am
Location: UK

Re: Updated Mean Score for Tamaskan Hips 2012

Post by Blustag » Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:11 pm

Cant believe my last two dogs xrayed both scored a zero.... so pleased :D :D :D

User avatar
Tiantai
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)
Posts: 2558
Joined: Fri Nov 18, 2011 10:16 pm
Location: Canada (North York, Ontario)

Re: Updated Mean Score for Tamaskan Hips 2012

Post by Tiantai » Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:16 pm

I do hope that it gets lower and lower year after year :D
Image

User avatar
Valravn
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)
Posts: 1051
Joined: Sun May 09, 2010 4:22 pm
Location: Ohio, USA

Re: Updated Mean Score for Tamaskan Hips 2012

Post by Valravn » Tue Mar 27, 2012 11:06 pm

Blustag wrote:Cant believe my last two dogs xrayed both scored a zero.... so pleased :D :D :D
:D Fantastic! Hope this keeps up!

User avatar
Tiantai
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)
Posts: 2558
Joined: Fri Nov 18, 2011 10:16 pm
Location: Canada (North York, Ontario)

Re: Updated Mean Score for Tamaskan Hips 2012

Post by Tiantai » Tue Mar 27, 2012 11:22 pm

Valravn wrote:
Blustag wrote:Cant believe my last two dogs xrayed both scored a zero.... so pleased :D :D :D
:D Fantastic! Hope this keeps up!
I'm confident that it will. ;)
I trust that the TDR is always moving forward to improve on the healthy well-being of the dogs.
Image

User avatar
Czertice
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)
Posts: 243
Joined: Wed Jun 08, 2011 2:34 pm
Location: Prague
Contact:

Re: Updated Mean Score for Tamaskan Hips 2012

Post by Czertice » Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:08 am

Congratulations!
I don't understand this number system, could someone explain it to me? I only know the 0-4 system, or A-E system.
Image

User avatar
Booma
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)
Posts: 1402
Joined: Sun Sep 18, 2011 8:59 am
Location: Perth, Australia
Contact:

Re: Updated Mean Score for Tamaskan Hips 2012

Post by Booma » Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:38 am

Lowest numbers are best. I think it can go all the way to 100(?) and I think the highest score you can breed from is an 18. There's a thread about it somewhere but I'm not sure where.
Image Image

User avatar
JulieSmith
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)
Posts: 2535
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:35 pm
Location: Manchester, UK

Re: Updated Mean Score for Tamaskan Hips 2012

Post by JulieSmith » Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:53 pm

Well done, keep up the good work. :D

User avatar
Ciaobella
Tamtastic (Apprentice)
Tamtastic (Apprentice)
Posts: 558
Joined: Mon Jan 03, 2011 10:51 am
Location: South Carolina, USA

Re: Updated Mean Score for Tamaskan Hips 2012

Post by Ciaobella » Thu Mar 29, 2012 5:18 am

For us just tuning in on the breed, going down in score is good? :)
What would be considered great?

All in all congrats breeders!
Katurah

Rahne

Re: Updated Mean Score for Tamaskan Hips 2012

Post by Rahne » Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:32 am

Ciaobella wrote:For us just tuning in on the breed, going down in score is good? :)
What would be considered great?

All in all congrats breeders!
Yes, going down in score is good. The lowest (perfect) score is 0 and the highest (very bad) is 106, so the lower the better. The Tamaskan must have 18 or lower to be allowed for breeding.

User avatar
blufawn
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)
Posts: 1758
Joined: Sat May 08, 2010 1:10 pm
Location: Lincs, UK

Re: Updated Mean Score for Tamaskan Hips 2012

Post by blufawn » Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:48 am

I dont think any breed anywhere has a mean score of 0. But we are equal to Siberian Huskies and better than GSD's and Malamutes so I think we are already in a very good place with our dogs hips.
If you can meet with Triumph and Disaster
And treat those two impostors just the same;
If you can bear to hear the truth you've spoken
Twisted by knaves to make a trap for fools,
.............................................................
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!

User avatar
Czertice
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)
Posts: 243
Joined: Wed Jun 08, 2011 2:34 pm
Location: Prague
Contact:

Re: Updated Mean Score for Tamaskan Hips 2012

Post by Czertice » Sat Mar 31, 2012 2:30 pm

Kyliedelonge wrote:Lowest numbers are best. I think it can go all the way to 100(?) and I think the highest score you can breed from is an 18. There's a thread about it somewhere but I'm not sure where.
Is this a PennHip score then?
Image

User avatar
blufawn
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)
Posts: 1758
Joined: Sat May 08, 2010 1:10 pm
Location: Lincs, UK

Re: Updated Mean Score for Tamaskan Hips 2012

Post by blufawn » Sat Mar 31, 2012 4:55 pm

Tamaskan can now only be scored by the BVA, no matter which country you are from.
If you can meet with Triumph and Disaster
And treat those two impostors just the same;
If you can bear to hear the truth you've spoken
Twisted by knaves to make a trap for fools,
.............................................................
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!

User avatar
Czertice
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)
Posts: 243
Joined: Wed Jun 08, 2011 2:34 pm
Location: Prague
Contact:

Re: Updated Mean Score for Tamaskan Hips 2012

Post by Czertice » Sat Mar 31, 2012 5:23 pm

Oh I see, PennHip is yet another way of judging the displasia. It's too bad that there cannot be any comparison with other dog populations though.
I looked at the breeds statistics in Britain, and bulldogs come out very bad. I wonder if it could be a mistake? Almost all the other dogs are around 10.
Image

User avatar
Gaby
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)
Posts: 1205
Joined: Sun May 09, 2010 1:08 am
Location: Groningen, the Netherlands

Re: Updated Mean Score for Tamaskan Hips 2012

Post by Gaby » Sat Mar 31, 2012 5:31 pm

Czertice wrote:Oh I see, PennHip is yet another way of judging the displasia. It's too bad that there cannot be any comparison with other dog populations though.
I looked at the breeds statistics in Britain, and bulldogs come out very bad. I wonder if it could be a mistake? Almost all the other dogs are around 10.
The bulldog is one of the unhealthiest breeds there is, so I am afraid that is not a mistake.. :( The English bulldog is worse than the French bulldog.

User avatar
Tiantai
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)
Posts: 2558
Joined: Fri Nov 18, 2011 10:16 pm
Location: Canada (North York, Ontario)

Re: Updated Mean Score for Tamaskan Hips 2012

Post by Tiantai » Sat Mar 31, 2012 6:05 pm

Gaby wrote:
Czertice wrote:Oh I see, PennHip is yet another way of judging the displasia. It's too bad that there cannot be any comparison with other dog populations though.
I looked at the breeds statistics in Britain, and bulldogs come out very bad. I wonder if it could be a mistake? Almost all the other dogs are around 10.
The bulldog is one of the unhealthiest breeds there is, so I am afraid that is not a mistake.. :( The English bulldog is worse than the French bulldog.
Getting quite off topic but yeah I agree with you. Bulldogs and pugs are among the most screwed up breeds on the planet. Their breathing difficulties are one of the major issues.
Image

User avatar
blufawn
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)
Posts: 1758
Joined: Sat May 08, 2010 1:10 pm
Location: Lincs, UK

Re: Updated Mean Score for Tamaskan Hips 2012

Post by blufawn » Sun Apr 01, 2012 2:58 pm

There is a comparison table on the TdR website to show BVA, OFA and FCI scores
If you can meet with Triumph and Disaster
And treat those two impostors just the same;
If you can bear to hear the truth you've spoken
Twisted by knaves to make a trap for fools,
.............................................................
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!

User avatar
Czertice
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)
Posts: 243
Joined: Wed Jun 08, 2011 2:34 pm
Location: Prague
Contact:

Re: Updated Mean Score for Tamaskan Hips 2012

Post by Czertice » Sun Apr 01, 2012 3:23 pm

blufawn wrote:There is a comparison table on the TdR website to show BVA, OFA and FCI scores
Thanks for the info. Now I also know that Tamaskan hip score is superb. Keep up the good job!
Image

balto13
Tamtastic (Apprentice)
Tamtastic (Apprentice)
Posts: 439
Joined: Sat Jan 26, 2013 3:40 am

Re: Updated Mean Score for Tamaskan Hips 2012

Post by balto13 » Sat Oct 12, 2013 9:32 pm

has anybody done the math recently to show what the actual Mean Score is? I assume some of the outliers (horrific scores) might bump this up a bit. Not sure, but I bet this is something Konas owner Mark would be fantastic at! :)

User avatar
arianwenarie
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)
Posts: 1244
Joined: Wed May 19, 2010 5:07 pm
Location: USA

Re: Updated Mean Score for Tamaskan Hips 2012

Post by arianwenarie » Sat Oct 12, 2013 11:44 pm

balto13 wrote:has anybody done the math recently to show what the actual Mean Score is? I assume some of the outliers (horrific scores) might bump this up a bit. Not sure, but I bet this is something Konas owner Mark would be fantastic at! :)
I believe either Rahne or Katelyn might know as they have official scores of dogs that have been submitted for the database. However, do note that it's likely the scores from the Blus dogs are inaccurate... Heck, I don't even think the mean score posted on this thread is right; as I've heard rumors that the Blus just took all the BVA passing scores and averaged them. What I can say for a fact is that there's a 2012 BVA breed statistics report for Hips here: http://www.bva.co.uk/public/documents/B ... s_2012.pdf :D

balto13
Tamtastic (Apprentice)
Tamtastic (Apprentice)
Posts: 439
Joined: Sat Jan 26, 2013 3:40 am

Re: Updated Mean Score for Tamaskan Hips 2012

Post by balto13 » Sun Oct 13, 2013 1:05 am

arianwenarie wrote:
balto13 wrote:has anybody done the math recently to show what the actual Mean Score is? I assume some of the outliers (horrific scores) might bump this up a bit. Not sure, but I bet this is something Konas owner Mark would be fantastic at! :)
I believe either Rahne or Katelyn might know as they have official scores of dogs that have been submitted for the database. However, do note that it's likely the scores from the Blus dogs are inaccurate... Heck, I don't even think the mean score posted on this thread is right; as I've heard rumors that the Blus just took all the BVA passing scores and averaged them. What I can say for a fact is that there's a 2012 BVA breed statistics report for Hips here: http://www.bva.co.uk/public/documents/B ... s_2012.pdf :D
I figured the score posted on this previously was pretty wrong, and sadly I am assuming that the dogs that the blus' have are inaccurately reported (health wise). Thanks for the link!

edit:

quoted from the Link
Tamaskan
No: 44.Range: 0 to 56.BMS: 11. Syr Mean: Blank. Median:9
though is for info collected up until Oct 31 2011. So it's pretty old.

User avatar
AZDehlin
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)
Posts: 3039
Joined: Wed Jan 26, 2011 4:52 am
Location: Upper Peninsula of Michigan, USA (for now)
Contact:

Re: Updated Mean Score for Tamaskan Hips 2012

Post by AZDehlin » Sun Oct 13, 2013 2:30 pm

I could average the hips scores I have at this time I have hip scores for 32 dogs that have been BVA scored (Missing plenty feel free to message me and see if I have your dogs). Out of these 32 dogs the median score is 14.68.

balto13
Tamtastic (Apprentice)
Tamtastic (Apprentice)
Posts: 439
Joined: Sat Jan 26, 2013 3:40 am

Re: Updated Mean Score for Tamaskan Hips 2012

Post by balto13 » Sun Oct 13, 2013 5:53 pm

Does this include dogs like Cindy, Luna and Solve? At least it's under 18!!! :) thanks for doing that Katelyn :)

User avatar
AZDehlin
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)
Posts: 3039
Joined: Wed Jan 26, 2011 4:52 am
Location: Upper Peninsula of Michigan, USA (for now)
Contact:

Re: Updated Mean Score for Tamaskan Hips 2012

Post by AZDehlin » Sun Oct 13, 2013 6:19 pm

balto13 wrote:Does this include dogs like Cindy, Luna and Solve? At least it's under 18!!! :) thanks for doing that Katelyn :)
Yes

balto13
Tamtastic (Apprentice)
Tamtastic (Apprentice)
Posts: 439
Joined: Sat Jan 26, 2013 3:40 am

Re: Updated Mean Score for Tamaskan Hips 2012

Post by balto13 » Sun Oct 13, 2013 6:23 pm

Do you know what the range is? Is that an easy thing to look up?

User avatar
AZDehlin
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)
Posts: 3039
Joined: Wed Jan 26, 2011 4:52 am
Location: Upper Peninsula of Michigan, USA (for now)
Contact:

Re: Updated Mean Score for Tamaskan Hips 2012

Post by AZDehlin » Sun Oct 13, 2013 6:33 pm

AZDehlin wrote:
balto13 wrote:Does this include dogs like Cindy, Luna and Solve? At least it's under 18!!! :) thanks for doing that Katelyn :)
Yes and others, but it doesn't include the FCI scores or OFA cause I would have no clue how to do that honestly as well as I am missing some current breeding dogs score cards.

North America out of the 16 BVA score cards I have received the median is 10.3... but this is not including the dogs that have failed in the USA, which I believe there is at least three of them some OFA and I think at least one BVA just never got paper work.

User avatar
AZDehlin
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)
Posts: 3039
Joined: Wed Jan 26, 2011 4:52 am
Location: Upper Peninsula of Michigan, USA (for now)
Contact:

Re: Updated Mean Score for Tamaskan Hips 2012

Post by AZDehlin » Sun Oct 13, 2013 6:37 pm

balto13 wrote:Do you know what the range is? Is that an easy thing to look up?
BVA 75 is the highest BVA score I have in my records.... the lowest BVA score I have in my records is a BVA 0.

balto13
Tamtastic (Apprentice)
Tamtastic (Apprentice)
Posts: 439
Joined: Sat Jan 26, 2013 3:40 am

Re: Updated Mean Score for Tamaskan Hips 2012

Post by balto13 » Mon Oct 14, 2013 12:00 am

AZDehlin wrote: Yes and others, but it doesn't include the FCI scores or OFA cause I would have no clue how to do that honestly as well as I am missing some current breeding dogs score cards.
thank you for adding that there are dogs with failing hips, that are not included in the score, love the honesty!
AZDehlin wrote:North America out of the 16 BVA score cards I have received the median is 10.3... but this is not including the dogs that have failed in the USA, which I believe there is at least three of them some OFA and I think at least one BVA just never got paper work.

Is it because the FCI and OFA scores to not have direct score translation for BVA that it would be hard to include them in the median?

User avatar
Ryphen
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)
Posts: 261
Joined: Mon May 23, 2011 8:22 pm
Location: New York, USA

Re: Updated Mean Score for Tamaskan Hips 2012

Post by Ryphen » Mon Oct 14, 2013 11:19 pm

I think there is a translation, but it's over a range of numbers, so you'd have to artificially pick one to convert the OFA or FCI score to. I remember seeing the conversion chart somewhere, but can't remember exactly where.

User avatar
arianwenarie
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)
Posts: 1244
Joined: Wed May 19, 2010 5:07 pm
Location: USA

Re: Updated Mean Score for Tamaskan Hips 2012

Post by arianwenarie » Tue Oct 15, 2013 12:51 am

Ryphen wrote:I think there is a translation, but it's over a range of numbers, so you'd have to artificially pick one to convert the OFA or FCI score to. I remember seeing the conversion chart somewhere, but can't remember exactly where.
Here's what I pulled out of wikipedia... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hip_score

Looks close to what I remember the chart to be and indeed, it's a range. Then there could be a whole new debate on whether or not to include non-BVA scores into the mean hip score. Depending on whether the TDR wants to be conservative or liberal, you could take either side of the spectrum or just go with the median of each score's range....but that'll definitely skew the numbers. XD

Post Reply