Puppy Vaginitis

All topics pertaining to health and diseases that may affect your Tamaskan Dog, as well as treatment.
AngieH
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Puppy Vaginitis

Post by AngieH » Sat Mar 03, 2012 3:39 pm

Hoping someone out there can point me to information that might help me make good medical decisions regarding my Paka. (I respect opinions and suggestions as well, and take them seriously, but I really do need objective data sources to proceed into the conversation with my vet next week with knowledge and confidence.)

Paka has a case of benign puppy vaginitis. (not to be confused with the serious vaginitis contracted by adult bitches of breeding age)

I know puppy vaginitis resolves on its own with the first heat or upon being spayed. (We have already made the decision to spay after careful research of the facts and lengthy consideration of our situation, so please refrain from distracting this thread with the general spay/not spay debate so I can focus on the *specific* topic of how vaginitis may-or-may-not, impact the cost-benefit annalysis re: timing of spay.)

We planed to spay her at just over a year old to allow for proper hormone groath-control and allow for more physical maturity before subjecting our dear one to the surgery.

What concerns, if any, should I consider with regard to letting her live with puppy vaginitis for the next *nine* months?

If the only concern is hygiene and keeping her clean and her skin healthy, we will take care with her grooming and just stick to our original plan. But what are the risks, if any, that prolonged puppy vaginitis could develop medical complications?

How do those risks, if any, weigh against the risks of an earlier spay?

Is antibiotic therapy successful in puppy vaginitis and at what risk, if any?

To ward off the obvious: I will not be using your info/advice as a replacement for vetranary care. *of course* I will be discussing this with our vet. I made an appointment to discuss this with her later this month. (certianly not an emergency) But I have found that I can have much more meaningful discussions with professional advisors of all kinds if I *first* discuss with others with experience, learn, and research on my own. That is my purpose here. To learn from your experience, knowledge and information so I can have a more meaningful discussion with my vet later this month.

Thank you,
-Angie
One's horizon shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage.
~Nin

Tiantai
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Re: Puppy Vaginitis

Post by Tiantai » Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:17 pm

I PMed you.

AngieH
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by AngieH » Sat Mar 17, 2012 10:30 pm

Good news!

Apparently, the only concern with puppy vaginitis is possible secondary infection if she is not kept clean. This is very rare except in puppies with inverted vulva. (which Paka does not have.) So we're pretty much home free. The discharge is minimal. It occasionally leaves a "crust" on some of the tufts of fur around her vulva but is easily cleaned away with a moist washcloth.

We are holding to our original plan of having Paka spayed (with Fable) after their first birthday.

Thanks for the PM tips and links. It was very easy to discuss everything with the vet.

~Angie
~Nin

Tiantai
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Tiantai » Sun Mar 18, 2012 12:03 am

AngieH wrote:Good news!

Apparently, the only concern with puppy vaginitis is possible secondary infection if she is not kept clean. This is very rare except in puppies with inverted vulva. (which Paka does not have.) So we're pretty much home free. The discharge is minimal. It occasionally leaves a "crust" on some of the tufts of fur around her vulva but is easily cleaned away with a moist washcloth.

We are holding to our original plan of having Paka spayed (with Fable) after their first birthday.

Thanks for the PM tips and links. It was very easy to discuss everything with the vet.

~Angie
Wishing her the best ;)
Hopefully she will be fine pretty soon. Best of luck on her recovery

Blustag
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Blustag » Fri Mar 23, 2012 11:54 pm

Sorry to hear about Paka. I hope all ends well.... good luck with her. I have never come across this before and was quite shocked.

AngieH
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by AngieH » Sat Mar 24, 2012 2:17 am

Blustag wrote:Sorry to hear about Paka. I hope all ends well.... good luck with her. I have never come across this before and was quite shocked.
Really? That's strange. The vet said it is very common and is considered a "normal variation" not a problem or illness.
She was very reassuring and treated it as a normal occurance (which coraspondes with the literature I found and read about it.)
Turns out I was making a Mountian out of a mole hill worrying about it.
~Nin

Nino
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Nino » Sat Mar 24, 2012 5:30 pm

Maybe it's just normal in the states? :)
>> Nino <<

Sylvaen
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Sylvaen » Sat Mar 24, 2012 5:34 pm

I've never experienced it before with puppies so I have no idea if it is normal or uncommon, etc.
The future lies before you, like a path of pure white snow...
Be careful how you tread it, for every step will show.

AngieH
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by AngieH » Sat Mar 24, 2012 5:59 pm

Maybe so. My vet said most people don't even notice it since the only symptom is the discharge. Since the girls tend to clean themselves and it can be very scant and intermitant, it usually goes undetected. When it is discovered, it's usually an incidental finding upon a routine exam. (Which is how I found it. I was checking out her ears, eyes, nose, throat etc. Playing around with my nursing field kit. I wanted Paka to be comfortable and familiar with the exam routine. I then panicked after reading about general vaginitis not realizing there was a begnign Puppy variety in addition to the pathology that can affect adult bitches.)
~Nin

Sally
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by Sally » Sat Apr 21, 2012 6:10 pm

My Nixi also has puppy vaginitis, I was also told it is quite common.
We are not treating it, just keeping an eye on her and it should clear up when she is spayed.

Hawthorne
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Hawthorne » Sun Jun 17, 2012 12:33 am

What about for females who will not be spayed? Still just let it clear up on its own?
Tracy Graziano
http://www.hawthornetamaskan.com

bark as if no one can hear you
catch the ball on the fly
lick like there's no end to kissing
sleep on a sofa nearby
jump like the sky is the limit
sit by the fire with friends
stay with the ones who love you
run like the road never ends

AngieH
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by AngieH » Sun Jun 17, 2012 1:47 am

Hawthorne wrote:What about for females who will not be spayed? Still just let it clear up on its own?
Yes, it resolves with the first heat.
~Nin

Hawthorne
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Hawthorne » Mon Jun 18, 2012 5:01 pm

AngieH wrote:
Hawthorne wrote:What about for females who will not be spayed? Still just let it clear up on its own?
Yes, it resolves with the first heat.
Thanks Angie. It seems Freyja is paying a lot of attention to Raven's behind. I suspect vaginitis but I don't know. Another Hawthorne pup is the same. We'll just use baby wipes unless things get worse.
Tracy Graziano
http://www.hawthornetamaskan.com

bark as if no one can hear you
catch the ball on the fly
lick like there's no end to kissing
sleep on a sofa nearby
jump like the sky is the limit
sit by the fire with friends
stay with the ones who love you
run like the road never ends

KRHert
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by KRHert » Mon Jun 18, 2012 8:07 pm

Tika has this. It looks like a yellowish mucous. The vet had her on antibiotics, which lessened it but it didn't clear up. We'll just have to wait till she comes in season.

Gaby
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Gaby » Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:34 pm

Blustag wrote:Sorry to hear about Paka. I hope all ends well.... good luck with her. I have never come across this before and was quite shocked.
Totally missed this topic, but Mila had puppy vaginitis too. The vet said it was nothing to be worried about. She doesn't have it any more, I think it just went away when she was around 7 months, but she hasn't had her first heat yet as far as I know. She did not have any treatment, the vet told me it is quite common in puppies.