Shay's Diarrhea and car sickness.

All topics pertaining to health and diseases that may affect your Tamaskan Dog, as well as treatment.
issylupus
Tamabulous (Promoter)
Tamabulous (Promoter)

Shay's Diarrhea and car sickness.

Post by issylupus » Fri Jan 20, 2012 11:27 am

Just thought I would share my latest "Bonding" moments with Shay.

I took her into Town on Tuesday to see the Vet's for her 6 month check up. (Thumb's up all round from the vet's !!!)
She gets TERRIBLE car sick, she wont even look at my car let alone willingly go near it. She will happily walk past any of the neighbours cars, but not mine. I have done a lot of training with her to try and help her and I have even tryed different herbal remmadies.... But as soon as I have managed to get her physically into the car, she starts drooling. And I mean DROOLING.... it's like a tap has been turned on... Then within a few minuets she starts wretching and is sick....and this is before I have even closed the boot or started the engine !!! So I cleaned her all up, with Shay lovingly licking my face with her Pukie slobber !!! (Thank's Lass !!!) then off to town, stopping several times to give her a drink. Its only a 15 mile run but with the ammount she drools, the car, and her, is drenched by the time we get there. I have a towel with me so I dry her off best I can.

She walks great to heal and has no problem going into the vet. So, In for the appointment and I stand there proudly with my beautifull Tamaskan....covered in sick..... soaking wet....and stinking to high heaven... what a sight...

Then it's home again. Same procedure..change all the newspaper in the back of the car...get her in...wait for the drool and puke....clean it up....get pukie kisses of Shay as I do it....wash my face...start the car and go home...

She is quiet and sits calmly in the car. Infact she is very well behaved. As soon as we park up at home I take her up the wee hill at the back of our house and she romps around quite the thing but then start's the Diarrhea.

If I know we have to go anywhere in the car then I skip her morning meal and when we get back I will give her a light meal later in the afternoon depending on the severity of the Diarrhea.

On Tuesday it was terrible so I boiled up some rice and gave her that instead of her usual food. The next morning she still had the Diarrhea so I gave her a light meal of rice again for breakfast and in the afternoon she got a larger meal of rice with a piece of poached chicken in it.

She dose not display ant other signs of being ill... she is full of go..run's around on her walks...plays with her toys and play fight's with Kizzy cat just as normal... BUT, in the evening... the fart's she was doing.. I mean, my God, it was horrendus !!!! The smell was enough to strip wallpaper !!! even the cat left the room...occasionally she would have a fart and squit out a wee bit of poop so I would just clean it up and wash off with a drop of Jay's Fluid. I had to leave the front door open all evening to vent the room... it was so smelly even the stray cat outside wouldnt come near....

On Thursday morning her poop was a lot more formed, if a bit yellow, but she had stopped farting (Praise the lord) I gave her her usual meals and she ate them with her usual enthusiasm...
So happy to report, she is all better again.. Poops are solid again and her "Bum-burp's" have stopped. She is back to her usual self. Shay only has two speed's at the best of times.... "Full speed" or "Sleep" but I'm glad her tummy is better.

I am wondering if maybe it is my car that makes her ill.. I have not asked a neighbour if she can go in their car....
..would you ?!!! but my car is quite old and I think it may be worth getting a different car this summer and see how she is.

Dose anyone else have this problem ?
:D

Rahne

Re: Shay's Diarrhea and car sickness.

Post by Rahne » Fri Jan 20, 2012 11:53 am

Konah was also terrible in the car when she was a pup! I tried everything but nothing worked, I also had to bring towels with me to clean her when we went out of the car because she would be soaking wet of all the drooling :lol:

She grew over it eventually, she is now 2 years and still doesn't like the car very much but she doesn't drool anymore ;)

JulieSmith
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by JulieSmith » Fri Jan 20, 2012 12:06 pm

Saga was always sick and drooling even on the school run drive and that was only half a mile! I just kept doing the school run in the car even though it is close enough to walk so she would get used to the car. Also where I park to drop off for school is where I walk Saga so gradually she got used to car = nice walk. It took some time but first she stopped being sick then the drool got less and now at 1 she is fine on short to medium trips, not tried a long one yet but hopefully she will be better.

Just do lots of short trips that end in something nice like a walk. Good luck.

issylupus
Tamabulous (Promoter)
Tamabulous (Promoter)

Post by issylupus » Fri Jan 20, 2012 12:25 pm

JulieSmith wrote:Saga was always sick and drooling even on the school run drive and that was only half a mile! I just kept doing the school run in the car even though it is close enough to walk so she would get used to the car. Also where I park to drop off for school is where I walk Saga so gradually she got used to car = nice walk. It took some time but first she stopped being sick then the drool got less and now at 1 she is fine on short to medium trips, not tried a long one yet but hopefully she will be better.

Just do lots of short trips that end in something nice like a walk. Good luck.
I have been taking her for short runs to the beach or one of the other forrest's. I always try and associate the car with something nice and rewarding for her, but I guess she will grow out of it. The biggest problem is the sickness and diarrhea as she is loosing her nourishment and body fluid's. For a growing pup it is not good as she needs to keep her nourishment in her. Being ill for two days after a 10 minuet car ride is not doing her any good... poor dog !!!

TerriHolt
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by TerriHolt » Fri Jan 20, 2012 12:30 pm

sam's the same (altho he's just ill for an hour or so)... even before moving it starts. he's wasn't sick if i didn't feed him but it kinda made it difficult going on day trips as he is used to having meals at 6am, (12.30 pm meaty snack) and 6pm and going on day trips would mean skipping straight past all those to about 8-10 ish... he will still not go near the car and he's too heavy to lift in so... we don't drive :D

julies idea is good if it works for you... we did it for 7 month, 5 days a week and he vomits a little less... not helped with the drool or the extreme car-a-phobia tho :(

There’s a battle between two wolves inside us all.
One is Evil. It’s anger, jealousy, greed, resentment, inferiority, lies and ego.
The other is Good. It’s joy, peace, love, hope, humility, kindness and truth.

The wolf that wins? The one you feed!

~ Cherokee Proverb

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity... I'm not sure about the former.

~ Albert Einstein

TParham86
Tamational (Expert)
Tamational (Expert)

Post by TParham86 » Fri Jan 20, 2012 5:41 pm

Mona Lisa doesn't really drool on car rides but recently she has shown a dislike for car rides (probably becasue of our long drive across country) She too avoids my truck and when I do get her in she's shaking like she's deathly terrified. She also would puck on car rides but i was able to fix that problem by not givin her any thing to eat before we go. Even when we take trips to the Vet or petsmart and people would ask if they could feed her treats I just tell them no becasue she gets car sick :) I'm currently working on the car issue by taking her on small trips just down the road to get her used to being in the car again and to help her understand that were not going to be spending hours in the car :)

AZDehlin
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by AZDehlin » Fri Jan 20, 2012 6:01 pm

I am glad Shay is feeling better... Zephyr loves the car and is great with going on long car trips. he will sit up and look out the window or he will lay down and chew his car toys. Our longest trip to date was 12 hour drive. He slept on the back seat doing the tamaskan twist most of the way.

TerriHolt
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by TerriHolt » Fri Jan 20, 2012 7:27 pm

AZDehlin wrote:I am glad Shay is feeling better... Zephyr loves the car and is great with going on long car trips. he will sit up and look out the window or he will lay down and chew his car toys. Our longest trip to date was 12 hour drive. He slept on the back seat doing the tamaskan twist most of the way.
ok, you talked me into it... consider zephyr puppy napped! :D

One is Evil. It’s anger, jealousy, greed, resentment, inferiority, lies and ego.

~ Cherokee Proverb

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity... I'm not sure about the former.

~ Albert Einstein

HiTenshi16
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by HiTenshi16 » Fri Jan 20, 2012 8:51 pm

AZDehlin wrote:I am glad Shay is feeling better... Zephyr loves the car and is great with going on long car trips. he will sit up and look out the window or he will lay down and chew his car toys. Our longest trip to date was 12 hour drive. He slept on the back seat doing the tamaskan twist most of the way.
Ulric is very much the same on car rides, if he and I are the only ones in he car he will ride up front with me.

CSpiker86
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by CSpiker86 » Fri Jan 20, 2012 9:02 pm

Alucard has the same problem with the drooling once he gets in the car. completly soaks the towels that he is sitting on. I am trying techniques to get him used to the car and not drool so much, such as short car rides, so far it hasnt worked :?

claireyclaire
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by claireyclaire » Fri Jan 20, 2012 10:44 pm

Elska was the same! Someone told me that I should try giving her ears a massage when she got in and before I took her out of the car. It did seem to help reduce her anxiety but what really sorted her out was a Thundershirt! Best thing I ever bought !
“You can take the dog out of the Wolf Pack, But you can't take the Wolf Pack out of the dog"

issylupus
Tamabulous (Promoter)
Tamabulous (Promoter)

Post by issylupus » Sat Jan 21, 2012 10:34 am

claireyclaire wrote:Elska was the same! Someone told me that I should try giving her ears a massage when she got in and before I took her out of the car. It did seem to help reduce her anxiety but what really sorted her out was a Thundershirt! Best thing I ever bought !
I think I may have heard of this. Is it like a coat they wear and it makes them feel like they are being hugged as it's quite close fitting ?

Booma
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Booma » Sat Jan 21, 2012 10:45 am

I believe it presses against certain pressure points, like acupuncture without the needles.
Image Image

Nino
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Nino » Sat Jan 21, 2012 2:32 pm

Some pressure points will work when people get carsick too (I should know I still get terribly carsick sometimes - even when driving myself lol)

Sølve did well on her first couple of drives, then she puked once and it all was crap afterwards..

She puked every time we were in the car, So I stopped giving her food in the hours before going for a drive (and we often drove for a couple of hours) then the puking stopped.
The drooling was out of proportions.. I actually made fun out it and asked people if they thought a Pool would fit into my car..

Towels wasn't enough, So I added plastic backs under her blanket and in the bottom of the car.
When she got older the drooling started to become less and less, now it has almost totally stopped, except for a little wet around the mouth..

Sølve still don't like to go riding in the car, but I can tell her a few times to go into the car (having her leash on her standing by the car with the door open, and she will get in.. But she don't like it.

I have her gotten to sleep when having the car parked.. I think I will try this in the future, if she sleeps then she feels comfortable..
>> Nino <<

claireyclaire
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by claireyclaire » Sat Jan 21, 2012 5:34 pm

issylupus wrote:
claireyclaire wrote:Elska was the same! Someone told me that I should try giving her ears a massage when she got in and before I took her out of the car. It did seem to help reduce her anxiety but what really sorted her out was a Thundershirt! Best thing I ever bought !
I think I may have heard of this. Is it like a coat they wear and it makes them feel like they are being hugged as it's quite close fitting ?
It works on pressure points, here is the link, to be honest when I bought it I didn't think it would work, I only went ahead and got one as there is a money back guarantee!

http://www.thundershirt.com/HowItWorks/
“You can take the dog out of the Wolf Pack, But you can't take the Wolf Pack out of the dog"

TParham86
Tamational (Expert)
Tamational (Expert)

Post by TParham86 » Sat Jan 21, 2012 11:13 pm

claireyclaire wrote:
issylupus wrote:
It works on pressure points, here is the link, to be honest when I bought it I didn't think it would work, I only went ahead and got one as there is a money back guarantee!

http://www.thundershirt.com/HowItWorks/

I tried using the thundershirt for Mona Lisa's separation aniexty...she tore it up after two days :roll: Good thing i had the money back guarantee :lol:

AZDehlin
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by AZDehlin » Sun Jan 22, 2012 11:43 pm

TerriHolt wrote:
He may be great in cars but I would almost trade it to get ride of his separation anxiety issues.

TerriHolt
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by TerriHolt » Mon Jan 23, 2012 12:47 am

AZDehlin wrote:
TerriHolt wrote:
He may be great in cars but I would almost trade it to get ride of his separation anxiety issues.
yer... that sucks :( sam has been howling (sorta) when i leave for the past few months. my neighbor says he's good for the first 10 mins or so then it's like he works out i'm not coming back... and "protest pooping" from about 5 month... thats really getting tiresome :roll: not too bad on the wood floor down stairs, just not too good since he worked out how to jump the baby gate to the carpet up stairs not much later than 5 month...

i recently thought about the thundershirt for the car and home alone, but...
TParham86 wrote:I tried using the thundershirt for Mona Lisa's separation aniexty...she tore it up after two days

... would most defiantly happen (chewing a big thing too) and i'm worried it could pose a choking hazard.

~ Cherokee Proverb

~ Albert Einstein

claireyclaire
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by claireyclaire » Mon Jan 23, 2012 5:32 am

I would never leave the Thundershirt on whilst unsupervised. Although if dealing with separation anxiety it may prove useful in the early stages when you just leave them for a few minutes at a time before returning