Nose Scratch

All topics pertaining to health and diseases that may affect your Tamaskan Dog, as well as treatment.
jyotin
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Nose Scratch

Post by jyotin » Sun Nov 13, 2011 11:09 pm

I just noticed that Logan has a pink thick scratch on his nose...I have no idea where he got it from, it doesn't seem to bother him at all, but I was wondering if the black colour will ever come back...or is he going to have a permanent scar?

Is there anything that I can put on it to help the healing?

Thanks!
"Compassion for animals is intimately connected with goodness of character; and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man"
--Arthur Schopenhauer

TerriHolt
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Re: Nose Scratch

Post by TerriHolt » Sun Nov 13, 2011 11:50 pm

my gsd has a scratch on her nose that faded to a white, thin line (wasn't a big scratch to start with)... same with my grandmas x she used to have when my mums cat scratched him. they didn't go back to black but logan has time on his side... he is still a pup so it may be differnt then the 'oldies'.

There’s a battle between two wolves inside us all.
One is Evil. It’s anger, jealousy, greed, resentment, inferiority, lies and ego.
The other is Good. It’s joy, peace, love, hope, humility, kindness and truth.

The wolf that wins? The one you feed!

~ Cherokee Proverb

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity... I'm not sure about the former.

~ Albert Einstein

HiTenshi16
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by HiTenshi16 » Mon Nov 14, 2011 2:23 am

Ulric had a scratch on his nose a last year, I wondered the same thing. It healed over just fine and turned black again :D

jyotin
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by jyotin » Mon Nov 14, 2011 5:03 am

HiTenshi16 wrote:Ulric had a scratch on his nose a last year, I wondered the same thing. It healed over just fine and turned black again :D
Oh thank goodness! Now I won't have to put makeup on to cover it up... haha just kidding of course :lol:
"Compassion for animals is intimately connected with goodness of character; and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man"
--Arthur Schopenhauer

Rahne

Post by Rahne » Mon Nov 14, 2011 8:28 am

Are you sure it's a scratch and not a 'snow' nose?

jyotin
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by jyotin » Mon Nov 14, 2011 7:08 pm

what is a snow nose?
--Arthur Schopenhauer

Rahne

Post by Rahne » Mon Nov 14, 2011 7:56 pm

The most common cause of a fading nose is called 'snow nose' or 'winter nose', because the dog’s nose will fade to pink or white during the winter months, and return to black once summer arrives. Labrador Retrievers, Golden Retrievers, Bernese Mountain dogs, and Siberian Huskies have this seasonal variation in the color of the nasal planum. Some dogs within these breeds, and even dogs of other breeds, have noses that change from black to brown or pink as the animal ages. The cause is thought to be a breakdown of a certain enzyme called tyrosinase, which is responsible for producing pigment. Apparently, the enzyme becomes less efficient as the dog ages, causing the nose to fade from black to brown or pink. Tyrosinase is also temperature sensitive; it works more effectively in warmer weather, which explains the fading of the nose during winter months. While a dog with a completely pink nose (also known as a Dudley nose), can be disqualified from the show ring (depends on breed), dogs with originally black noses that fade to pink are still allowed to be shown.

Logan his sister Wyona, with a snow nose ;)
snownose.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

jyotin
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by jyotin » Tue Nov 15, 2011 6:56 am

Oh okay! Nope, it's definitely a scratch...I'll post a picture of it in the morning. I noticed some white hairs growing back into the area...hopefully they will turn black eventually. Thanks for the input everyone!
--Arthur Schopenhauer