Nova - hip dysplasia?

All topics pertaining to health and diseases that may affect your Tamaskan Dog, as well as treatment.
susann
Tamabulous (Promoter)
Tamabulous (Promoter)

Nova - hip dysplasia?

Post by susann » Wed Sep 14, 2011 8:46 pm

Don't you just LOVE people that knows everything...

We were in a large dog exercise area today and the dogs ran like crazy. They played and had fun.
Then a unknown woman said to me .. Nova is limping. She has hip dysplasia. I see it and even how she lies down. She scared me by telling that Nova's hips are bad. She said one leg can not keep up. We didn't see anything unusual about her.. and we have lived with her for over a year.
How could she see it just by looking at Nova? Is it possible? The unknown woman told me she works in day care centers for children. If she told me she was a vet I would take her words more seriously.. but.. ?
She worried me .. can you tell that a dog has hip dysplasia just by looking at a dog? If yes.. you don't need to spend money on X-ray.. why don't we all just ask her?

Then she walked up to Peter and asked him about our Midas. Is he your first dog? Yes, peter said.. he is.. and then she said that if she was the breeder she would NEVER have sold him a male as a first dog. It was irresponsible of the breeder...

Some people are just too much.. and too talented when it comes to dogs and diseases ...

:evil: :(

Rahne

Re: Nova - hip dysplasia?

Post by Rahne » Wed Sep 14, 2011 9:14 pm

Ohh I know those people :roll:
Limping could be caused by hip dysplasia but there are many other things that can cause limping.. If you are worried it might be a good idea to get her x-rayed so you know for sure then ;)
I don't want to scare you but one of Nova her sisters does have bad hips, you could see at the way she was walking that there was 'something' wrong. But someone saying that she has hip dysplasia by just looking at her is b*ll, only the vet can confirm this by taking x-rays.

TerriHolt
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by TerriHolt » Wed Sep 14, 2011 9:56 pm

agreed with above... there are many reasons for limps. but only a vet can say for sure. the nerve of some people eh? :roll: like Rahne said, if it's bothering you, talk to your vet, he may beable to offer some help for you or ease your mind ;)

There’s a battle between two wolves inside us all.
One is Evil. It’s anger, jealousy, greed, resentment, inferiority, lies and ego.
The other is Good. It’s joy, peace, love, hope, humility, kindness and truth.

The wolf that wins? The one you feed!

~ Cherokee Proverb

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity... I'm not sure about the former.

~ Albert Einstein

susann
Tamabulous (Promoter)
Tamabulous (Promoter)

Post by susann » Wed Sep 14, 2011 10:56 pm

TerriHolt wrote:agreed with above... there are many reasons for limps. but only a vet can say for sure. the nerve of some people eh? :roll: like Rahne said, if it's bothering you, talk to your vet, he may beable to offer some help for you or ease your mind ;)
The problem is.. we don't see any limps at all .. she is jumping up and down.. beds, sofas and chairs.. running more and faster than the rest of the pack :D
No guarantee .. I know .. and of course we will x-ray her. We would have done that anyway.. Talked to the vet (when she was treated for hotspot) and he thought 18 months of age best age for hip x-rays.

susann
Tamabulous (Promoter)
Tamabulous (Promoter)

Post by susann » Wed Sep 14, 2011 11:02 pm

Rahne wrote:Ohh I know those people :roll:
Limping could be caused by hip dysplasia but there are many other things that can cause limping.. If you are worried it might be a good idea to get her x-rayed so you know for sure then ;)
I don't want to scare you but one of Nova her sisters does have bad hips, you could see at the way she was walking that there was 'something' wrong. But someone saying that she has hip dysplasia by just looking at her is b*ll, only the vet can confirm this by taking x-rays.
Oh thats sad to hear.. only one of her siblings?
We don't see any wrong but ofcource we will x-ray her... she was running like crazy together with another dog today.. just like always.. I don't know how hip dysplasia works.. but there's nothing stopping her activity.. inside or outside :? :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sylvaen
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Sylvaen » Wed Sep 14, 2011 11:40 pm

If she can lay down like that, I'd say her hips are probably OK. :)
The future lies before you, like a path of pure white snow...
Be careful how you tread it, for every step will show.

susann
Tamabulous (Promoter)
Tamabulous (Promoter)

Post by susann » Thu Sep 15, 2011 12:24 am

Sylvaen wrote:If she can lay down like that, I'd say her hips are probably OK. :)
I hope so :D

AZDehlin
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by AZDehlin » Thu Sep 15, 2011 12:57 am

I have met a handful of people like this... Know it alls :roll:

Nino
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Nino » Thu Sep 15, 2011 5:27 am

I actually know people who say that a dog lying like that will probably have some form of dysplasia (unless its one of the bulldoggy typish dogs)
Not to worry you of-cause - I have no idea if there is anything to that oppinion..
>> Nino <<

susann
Tamabulous (Promoter)
Tamabulous (Promoter)

Post by susann » Thu Sep 15, 2011 7:12 am

Nino wrote:I actually know people who say that a dog lying like that will probably have some form of dysplasia (unless its one of the bulldoggy typish dogs)
Not to worry you of-cause - I have no idea if there is anything to that oppinion..
I do not know either .. but I've always heard the opposite.
It is only X-ray that can show whether it is hip problem or not ... one can only hope for the best .. :)

claireyclaire
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by claireyclaire » Thu Sep 15, 2011 7:33 am

Sylvaen wrote:If she can lay down like that, I'd say her hips are probably OK. :)
Tala lays down exactly the same way and many people said the same thing to us, unfortunately due to her accident that wasn't the case :(
“You can take the dog out of the Wolf Pack, But you can't take the Wolf Pack out of the dog"

Rahne

Post by Rahne » Thu Sep 15, 2011 8:33 am

susann wrote:
Rahne wrote:Ohh I know those people :roll:
Oh thats sad to hear.. only one of her siblings?
We don't see any wrong but ofcource we will x-ray her... she was running like crazy together with another dog today.. just like always.. I don't know how hip dysplasia works.. but there's nothing stopping her activity.. inside or outside :? :D
I don't know if any others have been tested from that litter, except Geri that has fantastic hips. If she doesn't show any signs of discomfort then it's probably fine although even that doesn't always say anything. But most of the times if the hips are very bad the dog might show small signs like limping, being stiff after rest, not jumping etc.

You can already test the hips after 1 year but I also waited untill 18 months with Konah and done the elbows aswell.

Gaby
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Gaby » Thu Sep 15, 2011 9:46 am

Unfortunately that is not true, our dog with severe HD can lay down the same way. :( Only a x-ray can prove if the dog is free of HD.

Sylvaen
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Sylvaen » Thu Sep 15, 2011 1:28 pm

Gaby wrote:Only a x-ray can prove if the dog is free of HD.
Yep, I think people can speculate until the cows come home, but the proof is in the x-rays. :)
The future lies before you, like a path of pure white snow...
Be careful how you tread it, for every step will show.

Hawthorne
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Hawthorne » Thu Sep 15, 2011 10:00 pm

I actually had our vet tell us that flexibility was a good thing. But then had another vet tell us that flexibility is a bad thing. The truth is that hip dysplasia tests are subjective. :(
Something else a vet told me (that I don't know what to think of) is that dogs with hip dysplasia tend to run with both rear legs pushing at the same time, rather than one at a time. Don't know if that's true...but there it is.
I would say that unless you intend to breed there's no reason to do the xray unless the dog is obviously suffering from physical pain. Just my opinion. :D
Tracy Graziano
http://www.hawthornetamaskan.com

bark as if no one can hear you
catch the ball on the fly
lick like there's no end to kissing
sleep on a sofa nearby
jump like the sky is the limit
sit by the fire with friends
stay with the ones who love you
run like the road never ends

susann
Tamabulous (Promoter)
Tamabulous (Promoter)

Post by susann » Thu Sep 15, 2011 10:30 pm

Hawthorne wrote:I actually had our vet tell us that flexibility was a good thing. But then had another vet tell us that flexibility is a bad thing. The truth is that hip dysplasia tests are subjective. :(
Something else a vet told me (that I don't know what to think of) is that dogs with hip dysplasia tend to run with both rear legs pushing at the same time, rather than one at a time. Don't know if that's true...but there it is.
I would say that unless you intend to breed there's no reason to do the xray unless the dog is obviously suffering from physical pain. Just my opinion. :D
I see other pups lying like that too...I hope flexibillity can be a good thing too :? sometimes she runs with both legs pushing at the same time.. other times.. when it's not full speed.. she runs normal.
Well... we'll just have to wait for x-ray ..

JulieSmith
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by JulieSmith » Fri Sep 16, 2011 12:45 pm

Try not to worry, as anyone with kids will know there are so many 'experts' out there who offer their 'advice' even when not asked for and it is usually rubbish. Most advice given from non-experts is not worth the time taken to listen to it, or worry over.

blufawn
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by blufawn » Fri Sep 16, 2011 10:00 pm

Hawthorne wrote:Something else a vet told me (that I don't know what to think of) is that dogs with hip dysplasia tend to run with both rear legs pushing at the same time, rather than one at a time.
Thats a load of rubbish. This is a common running technique for arctic breeds as it saves energy. God vets can sometimes be idiots
If you can meet with Triumph and Disaster
And treat those two impostors just the same;
If you can bear to hear the truth you've spoken
Twisted by knaves to make a trap for fools,
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!

susann
Tamabulous (Promoter)
Tamabulous (Promoter)

Post by susann » Fri Sep 16, 2011 10:11 pm

blufawn wrote:
Hawthorne wrote:Something else a vet told me (that I don't know what to think of) is that dogs with hip dysplasia tend to run with both rear legs pushing at the same time, rather than one at a time.
Thats a load of rubbish. This is a common running technique for arctic breeds as it saves energy. God vets can sometimes be idiots
Thank YOU JENNIE!! :D I watched the other dogs running today and they run the exact same way.. and it's malamute/husky in them .. I found that very strange that everyone had hip problems.. ?
I know it's no guarantee.. but thank you!!! :D

Hawthorne
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Hawthorne » Sun Sep 18, 2011 1:33 pm

blufawn wrote: Thats a load of rubbish. This is a common running technique for arctic breeds as it saves energy. God vets can sometimes be idiots
Yeah, I kind of had my doubts about this vet. And quite frankly it was a lot of what he had to say that made me want to have Freyja's final hip scores done somewhere else. I kind of sensed that this guy had an ulterior motive--that he just wanted me to spay our dog. Why do some people feel the need to have an answer for everything? Why can't they just say "I don't know?" On more than one occasion I've had to tell our vet what I've found in doing research, and they were unaware. Not that everyone can know everything about vet medicine....but I started to doubt... Thankfully we're in a different city now, and are searching for the best vet for us. I say 'best vet for us' because I've run into some attitudes that are against breeding, period. I can't take my dog to a vet who doesn't think there are merits to breeding dogs as opposed to just adopting from shelters. Okay, sorry for the rant... :oops:
Tracy Graziano
http://www.hawthornetamaskan.com

bark as if no one can hear you
catch the ball on the fly
lick like there's no end to kissing
sleep on a sofa nearby
jump like the sky is the limit
sit by the fire with friends
stay with the ones who love you
run like the road never ends

MelB
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by MelB » Mon Sep 19, 2011 10:06 am

blufawn wrote:
While it may be true that running with both hind legs together is a breed trait (a typical gallop seen in most animals at high speed) if they use both legs together at lower speeds then it is a good sign of at least some sort of hip pain, making it more comfortable/efficient for them to "gallop" everywhere. We know this is true from Cindy. We've seen her X-rays and even as a non-expert I thought "Shit! That's bad!", the vet's words "Terrible, just terrible". One hip is so bad it's on the verge of dislocating.

susann
Tamabulous (Promoter)
Tamabulous (Promoter)

Post by susann » Mon Sep 19, 2011 12:10 pm

MelB wrote:
blufawn wrote:
While it may be true that running with both hind legs together is a breed trait (a typical gallop seen in most animals at high speed) if they use both legs together at lower speeds then it is a good sign of at least some sort of hip pain, making it more comfortable/efficient for them to "gallop" everywhere. We know this is true from Cindy. We've seen her X-rays and even as a non-expert I thought "Shit! That's bad!", the vet's words "Terrible, just terrible". One hip is so bad it's on the verge of dislocating.
Oh my.. so sad with this bad hips... :cry:
We will x-ray Novas hips soon too.. and then we'll se .. all one can do is hope for the best. :|

Czertice
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by Czertice » Sat Oct 08, 2011 10:10 am

Raksha sometimes lies down like this>
and her hips and elbows x-ray is absolutely free of any signs of dysplasia.

From what i found out about dysplasia, it would have to be a very bad case to show in the way the dog moves. Otherwise only x-rays can tell.

susann
Tamabulous (Promoter)
Tamabulous (Promoter)

Post by susann » Sat Oct 08, 2011 1:09 pm

Czertice wrote:Raksha sometimes lies down like this>

From what i found out about dysplasia, it would have to be a very bad case to show in the way the dog moves. Otherwise only x-rays can tell.
Great photo of beautiful dogs :) Thank you for letting me know :D

Czertice
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by Czertice » Sun Oct 09, 2011 7:11 am

susann wrote:
Czertice wrote:Raksha sometimes lies down like this>

Great photo of beautiful dogs :) Thank you for letting me know :D
You're very welcome:]

balto13
Tamtastic (Apprentice)
Tamtastic (Apprentice)

Post by balto13 » Sat Oct 12, 2013 9:49 pm

MelB wrote:
blufawn wrote:

sorry to bump this, I do not own a tam, but my dog,who is 1.5 years old, has moderate HD and floating knee caps on both left and right sides. She is in need of knee surgery this year on both knees and probably hip surgery with in the next year or two. We only found this out because she runs with both her back legs as described above and it made us and vet curious. As others stated proof is in the x -ray, but the vet wasn't completely full of it when they said that (maybe from other things, idk, but that was not a complete crock statement about the running)

Ryphen
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by Ryphen » Sun Oct 13, 2013 1:24 pm

Sorry to hear that. Good luck with the surgeries.