Dirty Sock Smell

All topics pertaining to health and diseases that may affect your Tamaskan Dog, as well as treatment.
jyotin
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Dirty Sock Smell

Post by jyotin » Thu Sep 08, 2011 5:50 am

I don't know if this is normal or not...but over the past 2 days Logan has developed a "dirty sock" smell. My bedroom is unbearable to breathe in as he sleeps there and the smell has just taken over. Anywhere he goes now the smells stays...I've never smelled anything like it before, and he was just given a bath last week as he rolled in his pee lol... :roll:

I looked online and everything points to a possible ear infection... :? ...I've never cleaned his ears although I do have the stuff from the vet in order to do so (they said we should clean his ears regularly)..but have just been putting it off as i'm scared that I may do it wrong.

Has anyone ever experience this type of smell before with their dogs? And if so, does it have anything to do with the ears?

Thanks!
"Compassion for animals is intimately connected with goodness of character; and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man"
--Arthur Schopenhauer

Rahne

Re: Dirty Sock Smell

Post by Rahne » Thu Sep 08, 2011 8:25 am

Does the smell come from the ears or is it his coat?? What do you feed him?

claireyclaire
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by claireyclaire » Thu Sep 08, 2011 9:59 am

Maybe he has expressed his anal glands, or they may need emtying. It has quite a distinctive aroma! :oops:
“You can take the dog out of the Wolf Pack, But you can't take the Wolf Pack out of the dog"

susann
Tamabulous (Promoter)
Tamabulous (Promoter)

Post by susann » Thu Sep 08, 2011 10:38 am

claireyclaire wrote:Maybe he has expressed his anal glands, or they may need emtying. It has quite a distinctive aroma! :oops:
Nova has done that a few times... OH MY GOOD !! :lol:

Blustag
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Blustag » Thu Sep 08, 2011 11:08 am

First of all DONT clean his ears if there is nothing wrong with them. Without experience you could do damage. I have not come across this smell before and a puppy shouldnt be having anal gland problems. It could be down to feeding of course. Maybe he is full of wind and leaving that smell about ;)

Nino
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Nino » Thu Sep 08, 2011 11:39 am

I would take a "smell" at him to see where the smell come from..

If it is the ears you wont doubt it if you put your nose in them.. (sometimes you just need to do things you don't want to lol)

Gland emptying is like the WORST smell I have EVER smelled (and I grew up "on the country" where there were farm animals!)
I worked for a vet a few years back, and even tough he was doing it several times a day, I could never get used to the smell.. euw..
>> Nino <<

susann
Tamabulous (Promoter)
Tamabulous (Promoter)

Post by susann » Thu Sep 08, 2011 1:15 pm

If the dog has had loose stools may be anal glands emptying itself because the stools are not "hard" enough to empty the glands on it's way out.
And the smell is horrible! :shock:
Nova has emptied the glands a couple times since we got her and I called the vet who explained that the loosening of the stool can cause the glands empties itself anywhere and anytime. I had to wash the blanket she lay on because I could not keep it inside the house because of the smell. :shock: :shock:

JulieSmith
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by JulieSmith » Fri Sep 09, 2011 10:44 pm

My Terrier has problems emptying her glands, so every time we go to the vets he has to do it for her, the smell is quite horrid :twisted: makes me glad not to be a vet.

I hope you find out where the smell is coming from and cure it.

Hawthorne
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Hawthorne » Thu Sep 15, 2011 10:29 pm

Our lab mix has floppy ears. His ears get dirty and start to smell sometimes. I would equate it more to a bellybutton smell, though. (ew, also gross!!!) Because I worked with dogs in kennels in the past, I was taught how to properly clean ears. Mostly I just use a cotton swab and almost never need to use ear cleaning solution. The smell then goes away. Just ear wax, I suppose. I just can't imagine that smell permeating from Fenris' ears to the whole room...but then again every once in a great while his blanket s*t*i*n*k*s!!! So, his dog blanket has earned the name "bellybuttons" (yuck!) haha!
Tracy Graziano
http://www.hawthornetamaskan.com

bark as if no one can hear you
catch the ball on the fly
lick like there's no end to kissing
sleep on a sofa nearby
jump like the sky is the limit
sit by the fire with friends
stay with the ones who love you
run like the road never ends

AZDehlin
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by AZDehlin » Fri Sep 16, 2011 2:21 am

My moms German Shepherd has a similar smell imitating from her ears, She is allergic to something that causes her to have a permanent yeast infection in her ears... She gets drops in her ear once a week and a good cleaning twice a week to get all the build up out.

jyotin
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by jyotin » Fri Sep 16, 2011 5:45 am

Hi everyone, I appreciate all of your responses and advice! Thankfully, the smell disappeared on its own and he is back to smelling all nice and fresh (if that's even possible for a dog lol). No clue as to what it was but hopefully it never comes back!
"Compassion for animals is intimately connected with goodness of character; and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man"
--Arthur Schopenhauer