Red spot

All topics pertaining to health and diseases that may affect your Tamaskan Dog, as well as treatment.
susann
Tamabulous (Promoter)
Tamabulous (Promoter)

Red spot

Post by susann » Wed Aug 03, 2011 9:49 pm

Yesterday I saw a red spot under Novas fur... kind of like Kira's but not without fur.
It's about 5 cm x 5 cm ... I am so worried about her :(

Anyone else seen anything like this on the dogs?

Going to the vet tomorrow .. I hope everything is ok with my baby girl.. :(

WhiteElkStag
Tamtastic (Apprentice)
Tamtastic (Apprentice)

Re: Red spot

Post by WhiteElkStag » Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:05 pm

Oh no! I hope that she's alright. Does it seem to bother her and has she been worrying it?
Ben Premack
www.WhiteElkTamaskan.com
www.Facebook.com/WhiteElkTamaskan
Rhea (Saxon Aquila at White Elk), Sophie (Saxon Canis Venatici at White Elk), and Auri (Blufawn Sunshine on My Shoulders at White Elk)

Nino
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Nino » Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:25 pm

maybe a picture?
>> Nino <<

susann
Tamabulous (Promoter)
Tamabulous (Promoter)

Post by susann » Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:39 pm

I think it might be what we call Hotspot .. inflammation in the skin. We cut away the fur because it would come into the air and sprayed on Chlorhexidine.
Can't wait to get to the vet :(
2011-08-03 23.59.04.jpg
WhiteElkStag wrote:Oh no! I hope that she's alright. Does it seem to bother her and has she been worrying it?
It seem to itch
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

WhiteElkStag
Tamtastic (Apprentice)
Tamtastic (Apprentice)

Post by WhiteElkStag » Wed Aug 03, 2011 11:15 pm

Perhaps try a balm to relieve the itch? Aloe vera is non-toxic and may provide relief until you can get her to the vet.
Ben Premack
www.WhiteElkTamaskan.com
Rhea (Saxon Aquila at White Elk), Sophie (Saxon Canis Venatici at White Elk), and Auri (Blufawn Sunshine on My Shoulders at White Elk)

susann
Tamabulous (Promoter)
Tamabulous (Promoter)

Post by susann » Wed Aug 03, 2011 11:25 pm

WhiteElkStag wrote:Perhaps try a balm to relieve the itch? Aloe vera is non-toxic and may provide relief until you can get her to the vet.
I have Aloe Vera emergency spray.. :D I will try that tonight ..

swake
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by swake » Wed Aug 03, 2011 11:55 pm

looks to me a heat spot or also known as hot spot.
vet trip is needed most likely for some people. if that is a hot spot then its very painful. some dogs have to be sedated for a vet to get close to treat it.
I advice if you are going to do home care to maybe think about getting a muzzle or those anxiety pills they give for dogs, for touching it hurts them even more and some dogs tend to turn and trip to nip you telling you to stop. Clip as much hair from the spot. Use dilute povidone-iodine shampoo or chlorhexidine shampoo around the area. also antibiotic steroid cream or powder will need needed for 2 times a day at least for about 10 to 14 days give or take.
Though, I still highly advice a vet have a look, just in case its not a hot spot
LuLu has been missing for about 6 months. lost in my area and it hits close to home, though animals have been found across the world. So if you have seen this dog please let one of these people know
http://www.facebook.com/HelpFindLulu

susann
Tamabulous (Promoter)
Tamabulous (Promoter)

Post by susann » Thu Aug 04, 2011 12:36 am

swake wrote:looks to me a heat spot or also known as hot spot.
vet trip is needed most likely for some people. if that is a hot spot then its very painful. some dogs have to be sedated for a vet to get close to treat it.
I advice if you are going to do home care to maybe think about getting a muzzle or those anxiety pills they give for dogs, for touching it hurts them even more and some dogs tend to turn and trip to nip you telling you to stop. Clip as much hair from the spot. Use dilute povidone-iodine shampoo or chlorhexidine shampoo around the area. also antibiotic steroid cream or powder will need needed for 2 times a day at least for about 10 to 14 days give or take.
Though, I still highly advice a vet have a look, just in case its not a hot spot
Yes.. as I wrote .. I think it might be a hotspot... and I have chlorhexidine spray.. I have tried to clip hair around the spot and I have sprayed on chlorhexidine spray.. she don't mind me touch it but I am being very careful.
Ofcourse I will let a vet look at it... 14.30 tomorrow. Can't wait.

WhiteElkDoe
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by WhiteElkDoe » Thu Aug 04, 2011 1:17 am

Good luck at the vet! Here's hoping it's nothing serious.

JulieSmith
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by JulieSmith » Thu Aug 04, 2011 7:23 am

Good luck hope it is something simple to treat

susann
Tamabulous (Promoter)
Tamabulous (Promoter)

Post by susann » Thu Aug 04, 2011 8:01 am

WhiteElkDoe wrote:Good luck at the vet! Here's hoping it's nothing serious.
Thank you...hope so too
JulieSmith wrote:Good luck hope it is something simple to treat
Thank you..

susann
Tamabulous (Promoter)
Tamabulous (Promoter)

Post by susann » Thu Aug 04, 2011 2:13 pm

Back from the vet .. shaved o nice ... it was apparently hotspot, and she received cortisone ointment .. hopefully it will help and she will be fine again.
Is she not symptom free (no redness) in 10 days we must go back and get medications. They wait with medication because it usually is enough with cortisone ointment when detected early.

I'll keep my fingers crossed...

HiTenshi16
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by HiTenshi16 » Thu Aug 04, 2011 2:22 pm

Hope it clears up quickly and you won't need another trip to the vet :)

WhiteElkStag
Tamtastic (Apprentice)
Tamtastic (Apprentice)

Post by WhiteElkStag » Thu Aug 04, 2011 2:31 pm

Glad you caught it early! Thinking of her and hoping she heals quickly.
Ben Premack
www.WhiteElkTamaskan.com

susann
Tamabulous (Promoter)
Tamabulous (Promoter)

Post by susann » Thu Aug 04, 2011 2:41 pm

HiTenshi16 wrote:Hope it clears up quickly and you won't need another trip to the vet :)
Hope so too :D
WhiteElkStag wrote:Glad you caught it early! Thinking of her and hoping she heals quickly.
Yes.. grooming is a great time .. not only for the fur and a cousy time together... but also to look for ticks.... and hotspots !!?? :D

Thank you for your thoughts..

MIKA
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by MIKA » Thu Aug 04, 2011 7:02 pm

Hi Susann ;) ,
I keep quite firmly the fingers crossed that Nova will be soon better again :!: :!: :!:
I'm sorry if my online-translator doesn't correctly translate
Greetings ... Martina

susann
Tamabulous (Promoter)
Tamabulous (Promoter)

Post by susann » Thu Aug 04, 2011 10:01 pm

MIKA wrote:Hi Susann ;) ,
I keep quite firmly the fingers crossed that Nova will be soon better again :!: :!: :!:
Thank you ... I know you do sweetest friend !!! <3 :D

JulieSmith
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by JulieSmith » Fri Aug 05, 2011 11:35 am

Glad you caught it early, I hope it clears up quickly.

susann
Tamabulous (Promoter)
Tamabulous (Promoter)

Post by susann » Fri Aug 05, 2011 6:13 pm

JulieSmith wrote:Glad you caught it early, I hope it clears up quickly.
Thank you =) I hope it will be ok... its more red to day.. and bigger.. but I hope it will clear up soon :(

Blustag
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Blustag » Sat Aug 06, 2011 10:54 am

Fingers and toes crossed that all will be good soon :D

JulieSmith
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by JulieSmith » Sat Aug 06, 2011 11:58 am

I hope the cream starts working soon

susann
Tamabulous (Promoter)
Tamabulous (Promoter)

Post by susann » Sat Aug 06, 2011 9:23 pm

Blustag wrote:Fingers and toes crossed that all will be good soon :D
Thank you Lynn... :)
She's not a pretty lady right now.. shaved her whole left side of the neck, very red and it looks awful.. my poor little princess .. but I don't think she's in pain. Hopefully the cream vill start do good soon.

Blustag
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Blustag » Sun Aug 07, 2011 3:28 pm

You will just have to be careful that the flies dont bother her there now that her neck is shaved they are a damn nusicance at this time of year.

susann
Tamabulous (Promoter)
Tamabulous (Promoter)

Post by susann » Sun Aug 07, 2011 4:41 pm

Blustag wrote:You will just have to be careful that the flies dont bother her there now that her neck is shaved they are a damn nusicance at this time of year.
Oh yes I am careful.. have you ever had dogs with hotspot? I have never seen this before... and I am worried. Hope I will see some improvement soon.. it's a really big red area now but the vet thinks it will be good soon. It's only third day with the cortisone ointment.. out of 10.

Blustag
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Blustag » Sun Aug 07, 2011 5:22 pm

No I have never seen this before but from time to time 'some' of my dogs get itchy spots on their back but on inspection there are only a few spots on the skin and they generally just disappear on their own after a week or two. Im sure your vet is giving you the correct treatment and it will clear up soon. Please dont worry too much ;)

Katlin
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Katlin » Sun Aug 07, 2011 6:45 pm

My lab had one on the side of her neck, it took about 3 weeks to go away and we used a spray the vet gave us. Looked EXACTLY like Nova's. Don't worry too much! Hope your baby is better soon!
Polarose Tamaskan
Polardog Outfitters
Owner of Sierra Kaweah RN RI TDI TRN TTDN CRN-MCL @ Polarose

susann
Tamabulous (Promoter)
Tamabulous (Promoter)

Post by susann » Sun Aug 07, 2011 7:28 pm

Boreal wrote:My lab had one on the side of her neck, it took about 3 weeks to go away and we used a spray the vet gave us. Looked EXACTLY like Nova's. Don't worry too much! Hope your baby is better soon!
Thank you... I will try not to worry toooooo much anyway :lol:

Lynn: I am sure too.. but I want to see improvement from day one.. I am sure she will be alright soon :)

Katlin
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Katlin » Sun Aug 07, 2011 9:32 pm

susann wrote:
Boreal wrote:My lab had one on the side of her neck, it took about 3 weeks to go away and we used a spray the vet gave us. Looked EXACTLY like Nova's. Don't worry too much! Hope your baby is better soon!
Thank you... I will try not to worry toooooo much anyway :lol:
It really is easier said than done ;) but I'm sure she'll be fine soon :)
Polarose Tamaskan
Polardog Outfitters
Owner of Sierra Kaweah RN RI TDI TRN TTDN CRN-MCL @ Polarose

susann
Tamabulous (Promoter)
Tamabulous (Promoter)

Post by susann » Wed Aug 24, 2011 10:09 am

almost 3 weeks now... and it's still spreading.. now down to the throat.. 3 visits at the vet and last one, monday, we got antibiotics. I am so worried for my prinsess.. 20 days of antibiotics and I hope this will help her.
It's less red .. and there is an improvement .. but far from good.. yet!

MoirAran
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by MoirAran » Wed Aug 24, 2011 11:09 am

A hotspot takes a long time before it is gone. It can take several months before it is gone. No idea, why the vet said 10 days.

Here all the vets say several months. A while ago our male dog had 1 too. The vet said it could take up till 2 months before the spot is healed and up until a half year up to a year untill all the hair is grown back.

Our dog got a injection with antibiotics and a cream to help heal the skin and take the itch away.

Do you still use something against fleas or a fea collar or lotion?

Good luck with your girl
Greetings, Kristel
Aran & Moira & Rayne

susann
Tamabulous (Promoter)
Tamabulous (Promoter)

Post by susann » Wed Aug 24, 2011 12:21 pm

MoirAran wrote:A hotspot takes a long time before it is gone. It can take several months before it is gone. No idea, why the vet said 10 days.

Here all the vets say several months. A while ago our male dog had 1 too. The vet said it could take up till 2 months before the spot is healed and up until a half year up to a year untill all the hair is grown back.

Our dog got a injection with antibiotics and a cream to help heal the skin and take the itch away.

Do you still use something against fleas or a fea collar or lotion?

Good luck with your girl
Oh thank you for your answer.... you made my day !!! :lol:
I hope antibiotics will do good now.. :D

I used a collar but I took it of since the hot spot is in that area. It was a "non-toxic" collar with herbes... and it was great against ticks. She hasn't had any since i took it of so there aren't lots of ticks this year.

Thank you for the good luck !!! :D

JulieSmith
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by JulieSmith » Wed Aug 24, 2011 9:41 pm

I hope the hot spots clear up soon for you. I was just reading Dog training for Dummies (holiday reading :lol: ) and they suggest Belladonna homeopathy treatment for heat stroke, hot, red ears and hot spots. Never tried it but might be worth looking into.

Good luck.

susann
Tamabulous (Promoter)
Tamabulous (Promoter)

Post by susann » Thu Aug 25, 2011 11:10 am

JulieSmith wrote:I hope the hot spots clear up soon for you. I was just reading Dog training for Dummies (holiday reading :lol: ) and they suggest Belladonna homeopathy treatment for heat stroke, hot, red ears and hot spots. Never tried it but might be worth looking into.

Good luck.
Hi :D
I have never thought of homeopathy for dogs ... I will look into that !!! Thank you! :D

claireyclaire
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by claireyclaire » Thu Aug 25, 2011 6:01 pm

My Bru used to suffer from lots of allergies and would often get hot spots that would become infected, the best solution we found for him, (although not ideal and often looked ridiculous) was to clip him around the hot spot.

It seemed that once the area had better circulation that the skin seemed to heal itself much more quickly
“You can take the dog out of the Wolf Pack, But you can't take the Wolf Pack out of the dog"

susann
Tamabulous (Promoter)
Tamabulous (Promoter)

Post by susann » Fri Aug 26, 2011 12:26 am

claireyclaire wrote:My Bru used to suffer from lots of allergies and would often get hot spots that would become infected, the best solution we found for him, (although not ideal and often looked ridiculous) was to clip him around the hot spot.

It seemed that once the area had better circulation that the skin seemed to heal itself much more quickly
Yes.. she is shaved in the area of the hot spot but ... :( this seem like a stubborn hot spot!

claireyclaire
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by claireyclaire » Fri Aug 26, 2011 6:19 pm

We also used to get a special shampoo from the vets called Malaseb, you shampoo the area every day, but leave it on for 10 mins before rinsing.

It was a bit of a pain but it helped :D
“You can take the dog out of the Wolf Pack, But you can't take the Wolf Pack out of the dog"

susann
Tamabulous (Promoter)
Tamabulous (Promoter)

Post by susann » Fri Aug 26, 2011 10:00 pm

claireyclaire wrote:We also used to get a special shampoo from the vets called Malaseb, you shampoo the area every day, but leave it on for 10 mins before rinsing.

It was a bit of a pain but it helped :D

Yes.. we got a schampoo to leave on for 10 minutes... haven't shampooed every day .. just a few times.. maybe tomorrow again.. it look so red but I am starting to think that the klorhexidin (sprayed on twice a day) dryes out the skin and makes it veeery red ... maybe that makes it look more red than the hotspot it self right now. I don't know.. just can't stop thinking about it.. and if it's something else.
She is just as "crazy" as usual.. lol.. runs and playing just as always.. no problems there.

MoirAran
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by MoirAran » Fri Aug 26, 2011 10:23 pm

Well, it is a good sign that she is "crazy" as usual. Dogs can be very ill, when they have a hotspot, fever etc (our dog had).

We got a creme to get rid of the Staphylococcus, apply 2 -3 times a day. when improvement only 2 -3 times a week.

it really can take a long time, before it is healed. Keep the area around the spot shaved and just let it dry to the air. And maybe creme. But maybe with shampooing or whatever it is keeping the hotspot moist and therefore no healing? maybe it depends on the dog what treatment to use.

When the edges of the spot is drying and starting to have the normal color, then it goes healing.

Hotspots suck :evil: Can take such a long time. I couldn't walk my dog for a month, because the hotspot was in his neck and huge and painfull
Greetings, Kristel
Aran & Moira & Rayne

susann
Tamabulous (Promoter)
Tamabulous (Promoter)

Post by susann » Fri Aug 26, 2011 10:38 pm

MoirAran wrote:Well, it is a good sign that she is "crazy" as usual. Dogs can be very ill, when they have a hotspot, fever etc (our dog had).

We got a creme to get rid of the Staphylococcus, apply 2 -3 times a day. when improvement only 2 -3 times a week.

it really can take a long time, before it is healed. Keep the area around the spot shaved and just let it dry to the air. And maybe creme. But maybe with shampooing or whatever it is keeping the hotspot moist and therefore no healing? maybe it depends on the dog what treatment to use.

When the edges of the spot is drying and starting to have the normal color, then it goes healing.

Hotspots suck :evil: Can take such a long time. I couldn't walk my dog for a month, because the hotspot was in his neck and huge and painfull
Been 3 weeks now and still red edges :cry: 4th day with antibiotics.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Nani
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by Nani » Sat Aug 27, 2011 5:19 am

looks good ;)

AZDehlin
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by AZDehlin » Sat Aug 27, 2011 5:30 am

Looking less red, hopefully is can be totally gone soon.

susann
Tamabulous (Promoter)
Tamabulous (Promoter)

Post by susann » Sat Aug 27, 2011 6:56 am

AZDehlin wrote:Looking less red, hopefully is can be totally gone soon.
Nani wrote:looks good ;)
This is her good side :) the hot spot is on the other side :) ALL of the other side of her neck :? she is shaved !
This is just a photo from last night to show you that she enjoy my work too... lol .. we are having a good time together... ;)

MoirAran
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by MoirAran » Sat Aug 27, 2011 7:23 am

Let's hope the antibiotics will do its work now. Our dog got a shot of antibiotics straight away. First it got worse, bleeding etc, then it got a crust all over the hotspot and the crust began to fall off at the edges and after that we saw an improvement every day.

Nova looks so happy :D
Greetings, Kristel
Aran & Moira & Rayne

susann
Tamabulous (Promoter)
Tamabulous (Promoter)

Post by susann » Fri Sep 02, 2011 5:47 pm

Hotspot has thrown in its towel... finally it looks like the hotspot has lost its fight against antibiotic .. great progress in healing ... 8 days left with anitibiotics and by then I hope she will fully recover from this awful hotspot.. :( tonight I will celebrate this "bye bye hotspot" with a hot shot .. :D :D cheers my friends

AZDehlin
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by AZDehlin » Fri Sep 02, 2011 6:29 pm

Glad to hear it... enjoy that hot shot in celebration.

MIKA
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by MIKA » Fri Sep 02, 2011 7:24 pm

From friendship I raise my glass of wine too :D :D . Get well soon Nova :!:
I'm sorry if my online-translator doesn't correctly translate
Greetings ... Martina

MoirAran
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by MoirAran » Fri Sep 02, 2011 7:46 pm

Good news :D
Greetings, Kristel
Aran & Moira & Rayne

susann
Tamabulous (Promoter)
Tamabulous (Promoter)

Post by susann » Fri Sep 02, 2011 7:53 pm

MIKA wrote:From friendship I raise my glass of wine too :D :D . Get well soon Nova :!:
Cheeers sweet friend Martina :D not only for Nova (most) .. but also for Mika and Maccon :lol:

susann
Tamabulous (Promoter)
Tamabulous (Promoter)

Post by susann » Fri Sep 02, 2011 7:54 pm

MoirAran wrote:Good news :D
Yeah.. feels great :D hope it will stay away :D

susann
Tamabulous (Promoter)
Tamabulous (Promoter)

Post by susann » Fri Sep 02, 2011 7:54 pm

AZDehlin wrote:Glad to hear it... enjoy that hot shot in celebration.
Thank you.. have a great weekend!! :D