Heat Stroke

All topics pertaining to health and diseases that may affect your Tamaskan Dog, as well as treatment.
dash
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Heat Stroke

Post by dash » Tue Jul 12, 2011 6:31 pm

Here's some stuff our vet went through with us about heat stroke for our team, besides the obvious shade, not going out in middle of day, etc. Please add anything else you think may be vital. It's hard to spot comes on quickly and can be fatal.
Dogs normal temp is 100 - 102 fahrenheit and they release heat by panting and sweating through their foot pads.
The signs to look for are:-
Vigorous panting
Thick saliva
Raised rectal temp (over 104 requires immediate action and vet)
Dark red gums or tongue and sticky or dry tongue
Lying down unable to get up
Loss of consciousness
Dizziness/ staggering
Bloody Diarrhea/ vomiting

Here's what to do:-
Move out of heat/ sun
Cool yr dog with wet cloths especially on head and foot pads
Offer water by mouth or ice cubes to lick
Do not use ice or very cold water for cooling. This causes the blood vessels to constrict and actually prevents cooling
When body temp at 103 stop cooling, but go to the vets immediately
Even if your dog looks fully recovered they can get a secondary complication to heat stroke called DIC (disseminated Intravascular Coagulation) This can be fatal and needs blood tests and examination to determine.

TerriHolt
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Re: Heat Stroke

Post by TerriHolt » Tue Jul 12, 2011 6:49 pm

thats good to know and very helpful, thanks :P (i will admit i didn't know all of that :oops: )

There’s a battle between two wolves inside us all.
One is Evil. It’s anger, jealousy, greed, resentment, inferiority, lies and ego.
The other is Good. It’s joy, peace, love, hope, humility, kindness and truth.

The wolf that wins? The one you feed!

~ Cherokee Proverb

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity... I'm not sure about the former.

~ Albert Einstein

WhiteElkStag
Tamtastic (Apprentice)
Tamtastic (Apprentice)

Post by WhiteElkStag » Tue Jul 12, 2011 8:02 pm

Excellent information. Thank you for posting.
Ben Premack
www.WhiteElkTamaskan.com
www.Facebook.com/WhiteElkTamaskan
Rhea (Saxon Aquila at White Elk), Sophie (Saxon Canis Venatici at White Elk), and Auri (Blufawn Sunshine on My Shoulders at White Elk)

Hawthorne
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Hawthorne » Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:29 pm

When it's warm out, be sure your dogs have fresh water at all times. We keep a bowl on the back porch--which is part of the fenced in area of our yard. Shade is important, too, as you've stated. I would also stress not to leave dogs under the supervision of young people. Our former neighbor left the care of their dogs to their 14 year old daughter. Now don't get me wrong, some 14 year olds could handle this but it was clear she shouldn't have been given the responsibility. She left their two greyhounds out in the yard in 93 degree heat--so shade, no water--and forgot about them. One dog died within minutes.
The rule in our house is if it's hot out--you stay outside with the dogs until they come in. No excuses.
Tracy Graziano
http://www.hawthornetamaskan.com

bark as if no one can hear you
catch the ball on the fly
lick like there's no end to kissing
sleep on a sofa nearby
jump like the sky is the limit
sit by the fire with friends
stay with the ones who love you
run like the road never ends

AZDehlin
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by AZDehlin » Wed Jul 13, 2011 2:49 am

Cooling a person down too rapidly can cause hypothermia which can be equally as deadly... I am not sure if its the same for dogs but I would assume it is very similar. I know you have to be very carful with horses too.

JulieSmith
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by JulieSmith » Wed Jul 13, 2011 7:59 am

Thanks for this very useful.

Sylvaen
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Sylvaen » Fri Jul 15, 2011 4:48 pm

Here is a good article on Heat Stroke in Dogs!!
http://www.snowpawstore.com/news/2011/0 ... e-in-dogs/
Many of us involved with dog sports do not work our dogs through the heat of summer.
As a general rule of thumb; sled dogs are not worked above 15 degrees centigrade.

Despite all of the warnings and advice given about never leaving your dog in a hot car, this continues to be the most common cause of heatstroke. However, don’t forget heatstroke can occur if you work a dog on a hot day. Some breeds, especially those with heavy and thick coats can struggle even just being walked in hot weather.

Summer can be an enjoyable time for you and your dog to spend time outdoors having fun. However, it is important to understand that hot temperatures can be very dangerous, too, and you must keep your dog cool. Many dogs will not stop on their own when actively playing or fetching, until they have to. On a hot day, the time between having fun and heatstroke can be very short. The time is even shorter in high humidity, when the animal is out of shape, and/or unaccustomed to the heat and humidity. The most common warm weather hazards include heat stroke, dehydration and sunburn – all of which can be prevented.

Dogs cannot sweat and they regulate their body temperature by panting and through their pads. If this is not possible, then a dog will rapidly heat up, become lethargic and perhaps even collapse. Panting isn’t the easiest way to cool off, and it is far more difficult in humid weather, as there is very little evaporation.

Symptoms of heatstroke may include:

- An increased body temperature (in excess of 40 degrees centigrade / 104 degrees Fahrenheit). Normal temperature for a dog, depending on age and outside temperature, can range from 101 to 103 degrees Fahrenheit.

- Persistent Panting

- Bright Red Gums

- Slow to response to commands

- A Rapid Heart Rate

- Weakness

- Muscle Tremors

- Vomiting (in some cases)

- Diarrhoea (in some cases)

- Collapse / Loss of consciousness

- Convulsions

If you think your dog may be suffering from heatstroke, then you must act fast. Heat stroke is a very serious condition that requires immediate medical attention. Once the signs of heat stroke are detected, there is very little time before serious damage – or even death – can occur.

- Move your dog out of the sun to a shaded area immediately. You will need to reduce your dog’s body temperature slowly.

- Start to cool your dog by placing cool, wet cloths on the body – especially the foot pads and around the head.

- DO NOT use ice or very cold water! Extreme cold can cause the blood vessels to constrict, preventing the body’s core from cooling and actually causing the internal temperature to further rise. In addition, over-cooling can cause hypothermia, introducing a host of new problems. When the body temperature reaches 103°, stop cooling.

- Offer your dog cool water, but do not force water into your dog’s mouth.

- Call or visit your vet right away – even if your dog seems better. Internal damage might not be obvious immediately.

Some ideas for keeping your dog cool and safe over the summer months:

- Steer clear of long walks and strenuous exercise on hot, sunny days. If you are planning to spend time outdoors with your dog, find a shady spot and provide plenty of fresh, cool water.

- Try to take leisurely walks during the cooler times of the day, like the morning or evening hours.

- Remember to protect your dog’s feet from getting scorched by hot pavement.

- NEVER leave your dog in a hot car or confined area where there is no shade available. Even if it does not seem that hot outside, the temperature inside the car can rise to dangerous levels within minutes.

- Always ensure there is plenty of fresh water available that is kept in shaded areas.

- Ensure there is plenty of shade provided, especially if your dog spends time outside.

- Why not provide a paddling pool filled with water to splash around in and cool down.

- If the dog must work in the heat, there are cooling pads, vests, and collars available on the market.

- If the area the dog is in is too hot for you, it is too hot for your dog!

TAKE CARE AND ENJOY THE SUMMER TOGETHER!
The future lies before you, like a path of pure white snow...
Be careful how you tread it, for every step will show.

dash
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by dash » Tue Jul 19, 2011 7:26 am

Heat stroke, having written a piece on it, where has our summer gone?
This is worst than normal!!!

JulieSmith
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by JulieSmith » Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:29 am

dash wrote:Heat stroke, having written a piece on it, where has our summer gone?
This is worst than normal!!!
:lol: I am developing webbed feet, don't have to worry about heat :(

TerriHolt
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by TerriHolt » Tue Jul 19, 2011 1:38 pm

ha! i want a boat... row row row ya boat, gently down the street. on a bright note, sam's not really upset by thunder... even the loud kind that rattles windows and makes you duck and cover your head :D ...

One is Evil. It’s anger, jealousy, greed, resentment, inferiority, lies and ego.

~ Cherokee Proverb

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity... I'm not sure about the former.

~ Albert Einstein

JulieSmith
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by JulieSmith » Tue Jul 19, 2011 2:34 pm

TerriHolt wrote:ha! i want a boat... row row row ya boat, gently down the street. on a bright note, sam's not really upset by thunder... even the loud kind that rattles windows and makes you duck and cover your head :D ...
We haven't had a good thunderstorm since we got Saga, just lots of rain :( I am now officially fed up with rain

TerriHolt
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by TerriHolt » Tue Jul 19, 2011 6:34 pm

:lol: me too, we have a fantastic summer don't we?

~ Cherokee Proverb

~ Albert Einstein