Adder bites.

All topics pertaining to health and diseases that may affect your Tamaskan Dog, as well as treatment.
JulieSmith
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Adder bites.

Post by JulieSmith » Thu Jul 07, 2011 1:36 pm

Just seen this on another forum and thought I would share it here for those living in the south of England.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... ather.html

WhiteElkStag
Tamtastic (Apprentice)
Tamtastic (Apprentice)

Re: Adder bites.

Post by WhiteElkStag » Thu Jul 07, 2011 2:10 pm

Oh that's really sad. When I lived in Texas we always had to watch out for copperheads, rattle snakes and cotton mouths. Always something good to be aware of.
Ben Premack
www.WhiteElkTamaskan.com
www.Facebook.com/WhiteElkTamaskan
Rhea (Saxon Aquila at White Elk), Sophie (Saxon Canis Venatici at White Elk), and Auri (Blufawn Sunshine on My Shoulders at White Elk)

wolfwannabe
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by wolfwannabe » Thu Jul 07, 2011 4:47 pm

Oh dear that's so sad :(

I've only ever seen one adder and it was around the Cheddar Gorge area, I had my camera with me and took this photo, it's a baby, I think, it was quite small.
2009.04.24-ADDER.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mel.

Zeus 10.02.2007 - 24.07.2012 Rest in peace my boy, you'll always be missed.

TerriHolt
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by TerriHolt » Thu Jul 07, 2011 6:10 pm

awww, thats so sad :(

There’s a battle between two wolves inside us all.
One is Evil. It’s anger, jealousy, greed, resentment, inferiority, lies and ego.
The other is Good. It’s joy, peace, love, hope, humility, kindness and truth.

The wolf that wins? The one you feed!

~ Cherokee Proverb

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity... I'm not sure about the former.

~ Albert Einstein

Misaya
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Misaya » Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:37 pm

:cry:
- Fiona -

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. - Ambrose Bierce

wicca1
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by wicca1 » Thu Jul 07, 2011 11:16 pm

o'h thats sooo sad :(

AZDehlin
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by AZDehlin » Fri Jul 08, 2011 3:51 am

Sad :(

When I lived in Arizona we had to worry about poisonous spiders, scorpions and snakes... always a worry.

Hawthorne
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Hawthorne » Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:33 pm

One of the reasons I'm not thrilled about moving. Where we lived there were NO poisonous snakes. Where we are now, there are... I wonder--has anyone used a snake bite kit on a dog successfully before? I know they work but it's hard to get suction around the bite wound due to fur. Plus, it's hard to determine the bite area due to fur. Oh lord, I hope I never have to worry about this. I do know that being able to tell the vet what species of snake it was is critical. Always have a list of area vets when traveling. There's an ap for that :)
Tracy Graziano
http://www.hawthornetamaskan.com

bark as if no one can hear you
catch the ball on the fly
lick like there's no end to kissing
sleep on a sofa nearby
jump like the sky is the limit
sit by the fire with friends
stay with the ones who love you
run like the road never ends

JulieSmith
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by JulieSmith » Wed Jul 13, 2011 7:34 am

Hawthorne wrote:One of the reasons I'm not thrilled about moving. Where we lived there were NO poisonous snakes. Where we are now, there are... I wonder--has anyone used a snake bite kit on a dog successfully before? I know they work but it's hard to get suction around the bite wound due to fur. Plus, it's hard to determine the bite area due to fur. Oh lord, I hope I never have to worry about this. I do know that being able to tell the vet what species of snake it was is critical. Always have a list of area vets when traveling. There's an ap for that :)
In the UK we are lucky we only have the one poisonus snake and that is not that bad if you are an adult, but it does mean it's not the first thing you think of when walking your dog.

eMic
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by eMic » Wed Aug 10, 2011 7:27 pm

oh my, Adder can be very serious for a small dog.

I've been thinking about this.. Not tried it myself yet, but what about attaching a bell to the collar when venturing into Adderland? (http://www.gundogsonline.com/dog-bells/) That way the Adder should easily hear the dog and have time to flee. I'm sure the sound is annoying for the dog though.

Anyone seen their dog around a snake? I know a Border Terrier who has great respect for snakes. On a walk we encountered a dry, transparent snakeskin (not Adder, this was in Spain) and the dog would not go near it! Did many wide loops and barking all the time - excellent instinct if you ask me! I'm sure most dogs would be tempted to sniff at it =/

Also, as a kid I had a rubber toy snake that looked pretty real. Maybe one could use one to train a dog to avoid it? :)

I've been thinking about these things because Adder is just another thing to worry about when the dog is off leash.

Jbagajluk
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by Jbagajluk » Fri Aug 12, 2011 7:24 am

it is quite sad.

but living in Australia we have snakes, spiders, sharks, crocodiles, poisonous lizards, poisonous insects and mountain lions (jokes about the lion). i understand that you guys are worried. but its not like a really big thing. the only dangerous thing i have come across in the bush was a carpet python. snakes and other reptiles and spiders don't like vibrations so if your walking your dog or just walking the chances of you meeting a snake on a well walked upon path is like 5% and that 5% is only because the snake was moving to a different locations and you just happen to come across it at that point. i have been camping every year and every season and i have never come across anything remotely dangerous and where i go camping only 4 other people will cross that path in the whole year.

Haha i see all the photos of you guys with the dogs in lakes and in rivers haha i will never be able to do that. its like the one thing you don't do in Australia. Which is swim, stop or put your feet in murky water (even if its 1cm deep). Im talking that message is hammered into you when your born. haha plus if there isn't crocs in your river or lake then the chances that there is a bull shark in there is 200%. we have had bull sharks caught upstream in Toowomba which is very inland in Queensland. If you go camping even near a river or lake, the times you go down to the water have to be at different times of the day because a crocodile will watch you. lets say over 4 day period you decided to go down to the river between 11am -12pm each day to collect water on the 4th day. well on the 4th day lets just say you better bring a gun, a huge knife, or some sort of diamond body armour because when you go down to fill your bucket the crocodile that has been watching you will be lurking 10cm from where you dip your bucket in ready to jump out and drag you in.

Going to beach with a dog is also a don't do the only thing that dog can do on the beach is play in the sand once it hits the water you might as well pack up and leave because shark will be there in 5 minutes (NO JOKE). if a dog jumps in the ocean in a crowed beach. everyone leaves the water it quiet funny to watch.
you cant swim in any channels or swim in rivers or even attempt to do anything in a river unless you 1000000% sure that there is no way a bullshark could have gotten to where you are. (btw we have snakes that swim underwater too yay!)

haha us australian like billy bryson said haha 'Australians are a bunch of adrenaline-seeking, fearless psychotics that will jump in river to wrestle a crocodile just because they can.'

Here is a bunch of articles, you don't have to read but it quite cool it happened this year i couldn't find any on snake attacks or shark attacks or crocodile attacks in the past 4 years that occurred on ANY animal or person that was so server. these articles just show some of the 'dangerous' animals that occurred in particular places there good reads.

http://www.qt.com.au/story/2011/01/19/b ... e-bateman/
http://www.qt.com.au/story/2011/01/14/i ... d-streets/
http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/environ ... 19ozp.html
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... nalds.html
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... water.html
http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/bull ... 5947512070
http://www.sunshinecoastdaily.com.au/st ... rom-noosa/

http://qm.qld.gov.au/Learning+Resources ... piders.pdf and i forgot to mention that this spider can stay underwater for 2-4 hours by creating a bubble of air. and where do these attacks from these spiders occur? you ask? well let me tell you that 87% of all funnel web spider bites have occurred in peoples backyards IN THEIR POOLS! (i cant even take my dog swimming without checking the bottom of the pool for them :cry: )

btw i been to all those places where the sharks have been spotted and at queen st mall they have a clothes doll or manikin that has massive bull shark bite on display when the floods occurred..

read the articles haha
"It is two wolves; and he that runs after her is called Skoll; she fears him, and he shall take her. But he that leaps before her is called Hati Hródvitnisson. He is eager to seize the moon; and so it must be." -Prose Edda

JulieSmith
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by JulieSmith » Fri Aug 12, 2011 8:06 am

Some interesting articles there, that crocodile was a bit big!! It does make our single adder look a bit pathetic.

Jbagajluk
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by Jbagajluk » Fri Aug 12, 2011 9:45 am

hahaha yeah you guys got one snake and its a big fuss and we got all these other things and were like meh no biggie
"It is two wolves; and he that runs after her is called Skoll; she fears him, and he shall take her. But he that leaps before her is called Hati Hródvitnisson. He is eager to seize the moon; and so it must be." -Prose Edda

JulieSmith
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by JulieSmith » Fri Aug 12, 2011 10:47 am

Jbagajluk wrote:hahaha yeah you guys got one snake and its a big fuss and we got all these other things and were like meh no biggie

:lol: Yep the classic case of the less you have to worry about the more you worry about it :lol:

I think though that for you thinking about nasty things is part of life, but we do not have to think of them often so if a dog does get bitten we do not react fast enough.

Saxon
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by Saxon » Sun Feb 05, 2012 7:09 am

must remind my wife, cross australia off my holiday list, on second thoughts,I could always tell its quite safe to go into the water :roll: :roll: :lol:

Booma
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Booma » Sun Feb 05, 2012 7:29 am

I've never heard of dogs attracting sharks before. I've been down to the dog beach heaps of times and there are dogs (and sometimes
Horses) in the water and never once seen a shark
Image Image

Blustag
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Blustag » Sat Mar 24, 2012 12:35 am

Saxon wrote:must remind my wife, cross australia off my holiday list, on second thoughts,I could always tell its quite safe to go into the water :roll: :roll: :lol:
Pete...really...wait till I see Ann :lol:

Sion
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by Sion » Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:17 am

In a land where every other animal is either happy to eat you or poison you, I find myself deeply suspicious about koalas. I fear they are hiding something. :shock:
"Progress doesn't come from early risers — progress is made by lazy men looking for easier ways to do things." - Robert Heinlein

Booma
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Booma » Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:36 am

Sion wrote:In a land where every other animal is either happy to eat you or poison you, I find myself deeply suspicious about koalas. I fear they are hiding something. :shock:
Haha if you get too close to one they can attack you too :p
I think it's an Aussie tradition to freak people out with stuff were so easy with (until face to face with it of course). I recall telling people about "drop bears" on my trip to Canada. Hahahhaha
Image Image

Booma
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Booma » Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:41 am

Image Image

issylupus
Tamabulous (Promoter)
Tamabulous (Promoter)

Post by issylupus » Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:51 am

If you electrify a snake bite or bee/wasp sting, it can nutrolise the venum and stop it's affects.
I believe you can buy a Tazor type device especially for snake bites.
I know it works on wasp sting's as I tryed it once. I got a 6volt battery and connected a bit of wire to the terminals, then I perswaded a wasp to sting me. When it did I touched the spot with the wire and zapped myself three or four times. It stopped the pain almost immediatley and there was'ent even a mark where I had been stung...

We have a LOT of Adders in Scotland and None of my dog's have ever been bitten as I teach them not to go near them. What I do is put an adder in a small wire cage in the garden. I have a 4 volt Shock collar that I only ever use for this reason. I let the dog out into the garden ans as SOON as it goes near the cage, I zap them once. I have never had to zap them twice and the dog would not go anywhare near the cage. It may seam a bit extream, but I would rather my dog endured a fraction of a second of shock, than die from a bite. Over the years we would come accross lot's of Adders when on our walks and as soon as my dog noticed it she backed away and gave it a very wide bearth..

skyedream
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by skyedream » Mon Mar 26, 2012 12:19 pm

issylupus wrote:I got a 6volt battery and connected a bit of wire to the terminals, then I perswaded a wasp to sting me.
So you intentionally had yourself stung then electrocuted yourself.

Wow... I would have just googled it!

Sion
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by Sion » Mon Mar 26, 2012 12:23 pm

I hope you had an untreated sting as well to use as a control? Woo-hoo Scientific method!! ;)
"Progress doesn't come from early risers — progress is made by lazy men looking for easier ways to do things." - Robert Heinlein

issylupus
Tamabulous (Promoter)
Tamabulous (Promoter)

Post by issylupus » Mon Mar 26, 2012 12:45 pm

Sion wrote:I hope you had an untreated sting as well to use as a control? Woo-hoo Scientific method!! ;)
I had been stung by a wasp the week before. I had accidently stood on it and it stung me between my toe's. It hurt like F*** for day's and was the insperation for the experament. :lol: The wasp did not die and after 20 minuets in a cool matchbox I let it go again. :lol:

issylupus
Tamabulous (Promoter)
Tamabulous (Promoter)

Post by issylupus » Mon Mar 26, 2012 12:47 pm

skyedream wrote:
issylupus wrote:I got a 6volt battery and connected a bit of wire to the terminals, then I perswaded a wasp to sting me.
So you intentionally had yourself stung then electrocuted yourself.

Wow... I would have just googled it!
:shock: Absolutly.. I love to learn, it's like a kind of hobby. so by actually doing it myself I learned a whole lot more. :D

skyedream
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by skyedream » Mon Mar 26, 2012 1:07 pm

Erm... I'll leave the scientific experimentation up to you!

issylupus
Tamabulous (Promoter)
Tamabulous (Promoter)

Post by issylupus » Mon Mar 26, 2012 1:12 pm

skyedream wrote:Erm... I'll leave the scientific experimentation up to you!
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Sion
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by Sion » Mon Mar 26, 2012 2:04 pm

issylupus wrote:
Sion wrote:I hope you had an untreated sting as well to use as a control? Woo-hoo Scientific method!! ;)
I had been stung by a wasp the week before. I had accidently stood on it and it stung me between my toe's. It hurt like F*** for day's and was the inseration for the experament. :lol: The wasp did not die and after 20 minuets in a cool matchbox I let it go again. :lol:
The first documented account of the Naughty Step for wasps: "Now you go and sit in there and think about what you've done, young man!" *wags finger* :D

issylupus
Tamabulous (Promoter)
Tamabulous (Promoter)

Post by issylupus » Mon Mar 26, 2012 5:12 pm

Sion wrote:
issylupus wrote:
I had been stung by a wasp the week before. I had accidently stood on it and it stung me between my toe's. It hurt like F*** for day's and was the inseration for the experament. :lol: The wasp did not die and after 20 minuets in a cool matchbox I let it go again. :lol:
The first documented account of the Naughty Step for wasps: "Now you go and sit in there and think about what you've done, young man!" *wags finger* :D
:lol: :lol: and if you do it again you will go to bed with no supper !!!!

Nikola1985Ghaeltacht
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by Nikola1985Ghaeltacht » Mon Mar 26, 2012 11:47 pm

Am I an evil person thinking of Rowan Atkinson right now? :shock:
Handle every stressful situation like a dog. If you can't eat it or play with it, just pee on it and walk away