Worms (not a nice subject)

All topics pertaining to health and diseases that may affect your Tamaskan Dog, as well as treatment.
RoyAM
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Worms (not a nice subject)

Post by RoyAM » Sat Apr 23, 2011 4:24 pm

Just discovered today at 11;50am that Dakota has worms, vet closes at 12 noon so had to go into down and pick up Drontal Plus XL at local pet store as vet does not re-open until tuesday.

Not a nice subject but has to be addressed and taken care off immediately as far as I am concerned. Cody-Wyoming and Nebraska have also been treated although no symtoms.

No sign of worms in any of the 3 dogs stools but we noticed what looked very much like a small 1 inch long tape worm at dakota's bottom when re climbed out the river today.
So how did he pick them up, many possibilities with where we are located, we like then to run free when out but there are penalties due to this, i.e. they are often seen eating up rabbit droppings, and if long walk they have been seen to drink quickly at dirty puddle before I can catch them and pull them away. They also are very good at catching rabbits and due to the amount of deer oround where we live, ticks are also very good at catching onto our dogs.

Dakota has been given a dose to cater for his weight of 53kg, and both Cody and Nebraska a lighter dose as they are both around 40kg.

They will be back into vet on Tuesday and Sara has just finished scrubbing the house (again) as a precation. We cant be 100% that he has worms as no signs in stools etc but we did see one on his rear when he climbed out the river as previously stated and all 3 are being treated as a precation.

Blustag
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Re: Worms (not a nice subject)

Post by Blustag » Sun Apr 24, 2011 1:24 pm

Yes worming is very important. I have had problems with the Drontal and also Panacur 10% in the past. My last litter was wormed as usual at 2 wks 5 wks and 7 wks with Drontal Puppy and then I was told by one of my puppy purchasers that their puppy had a bad case of worms at 8 weeks. I immediatley phoned my vet and arranged to go down and get some Milbemax which is another good one and do the pups that were still here. I also phoned the other purchasers and warned them to go to the vet and also get some Milbemax for their pups just to be sure. Worms can and do KILL......

RoyAM
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by RoyAM » Sun Apr 24, 2011 6:21 pm

yes as we were about 40 minutes away from the house on a long walk with the dogs we phoned our vet, they said many pet shop worming tablets simply did not work and the only one they suggested that may work and you could purchase without prescription was Drontal. So they were wormed yesterday afternoon and all 3 passed a stool today on the beach (remote and no one near). Due to that i carried out my inspections lol, nothing visable in any of the 3 stools. Time will tell but they will get a prpoer second dosing from our vet regardless, just have to check the time limit between dosing.

Oh the joys our pets bring us :D

Blustag
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Blustag » Sun Apr 24, 2011 6:28 pm

As well to worm anyhow as you dont always see worms nor their eggs. IF anyone ever sees a live worm then there is always a bad infestation. Dead worms passed are not such a problem but definately need attending to pronto!