Allergies?

All topics pertaining to health and diseases that may affect your Tamaskan Dog, as well as treatment.
Wave2Tuffy
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Allergies?

Post by Wave2Tuffy » Sun Mar 27, 2011 3:13 am

Wave has had a runny nose for many months now. I do not mean excess moisture on his nose BUT dripping clear fluids. My vet says "no biggie" unless the nasal discharge is anything but clear. Anyone else deal with such?

Katlin
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Re: Allergies?

Post by Katlin » Sun Mar 27, 2011 3:15 am

I've heard of it. It could be allergies to anything, my friend has a dog allergic to human dander. Talk to your vet about giving "over the counter meds" I know a lady who had a lab with the same symptoms and she's now on benadryl and totally fine. BUT make sure you talk to a vet, or get a second opinion.
Polarose Tamaskan
Polardog Outfitters
Owner of Sierra Kaweah RN RI TDI TRN TTDN CRN-MCL @ Polarose

TeresaC
Tamabulous (Promoter)
Tamabulous (Promoter)

Post by TeresaC » Sun Mar 27, 2011 3:34 am

We have two dogs with seasonal allergies. The lab gets runny eyes and a runny nose. Luna our Tamaskan has started doing this strange reverse sneezing. Our vet has suggested some over the counter medications and the appropriate drug and dosage for each and both are cleared up.
Teresa Cutler
Moondance Tamaskan, Wisconsin
US Tamaskan Dog Club, Secretary

Blustag
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Blustag » Sun Mar 27, 2011 11:44 am

I have a female (Seagul) who has a seasonal skin problem every year which causes her to violently itch her belly all the time. She has been on several diff diets and also steriods(worked for a week and then failed so I took her off them) but nothing helps. I am now trying another diet before it starts...usually around late spring and ends end of summer. I dont know the cause as she has been on concrete only and no grass to see if that worked and it didnt. I didnt have carpets previously so that wasnt it. I have tried everything and the vet is also puzzled. She is 8 yrs now and still having problems and I feel so sorry for her during this time. I give her a cool bath to try to help ease it as her skin gets very inflamed. Anyone else heard of anything like this? None of my other dogs have this problem and it def isnt mites or fleas or anything like that. Vet has done many tests over the years.

JulieSmith
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by JulieSmith » Sun Mar 27, 2011 12:19 pm

My Terrier Holly has a flea and house dust mite allergy, she used to bite her paws till they bled, we tried Piriton and steroids, they helped, but she put on so much weight with the steroids she looked like a barrel. She is now on Allergyvet Immunotgherapy, which is an injection about once a month once they are established on it, and as long as we keep her deflead she is fine most of the time. Probably not worth it for seasonal allergies, and it does not always work for every dog, its also not cheep, but we now do not need piriton or steroids so it works out not that much more expensive and she is a lot happier so worth it for us.

If it is a runny nose it could be a dog version of hay feaver, I hope it gets better.

wolfwannabe
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by wolfwannabe » Mon Apr 18, 2011 2:16 pm

Blustag wrote:I have a female (Seagul) who has a seasonal skin problem every year which causes her to violently itch her belly all the time. She has been on several diff diets and also steriods(worked for a week and then failed so I took her off them) but nothing helps. I am now trying another diet before it starts...usually around late spring and ends end of summer. I dont know the cause as she has been on concrete only and no grass to see if that worked and it didnt. I didnt have carpets previously so that wasnt it. I have tried everything and the vet is also puzzled. She is 8 yrs now and still having problems and I feel so sorry for her during this time. I give her a cool bath to try to help ease it as her skin gets very inflamed. Anyone else heard of anything like this? None of my other dogs have this problem and it def isnt mites or fleas or anything like that. Vet has done many tests over the years.
Sounds exactly like Zeus :( every spring the itching and biting starts on his belly where the fur is thinnest this continues to the end of summer, he's been tested for mites and doesn't have fleas, my vet hasn't a clue either :( poor boy it gets so sore and red and spotty.

He's on benadryl which helps a bit and I use itch wipes http://www.petkin.com/1-800-PETKIN-1/pr ... ucts_id=53 which do seem to help alot, when I get them out Zeus will come to me and stand with his back legs apart ready to be wiped I think he finds it soothing cause he gets this really dopey look on his face, I really think they help but I have to do it 3 or 4 times a day. (I keep them in the fridge so they are nice and cold on his hot skin.)

Sorry I couldn't be more helpful.

Mel and Zeus

PS I get the wipes from Pets at home.
Mel.

Zeus 10.02.2007 - 24.07.2012 Rest in peace my boy, you'll always be missed.

Blustag
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Blustag » Mon Apr 18, 2011 2:19 pm

Thanks for that info... I will get some and try. Will try anything to help her as we are going into the summer now and her itching is getting worse. Also thought something herbal taken internally may help but cant find anything so far that works.

wolfwannabe
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by wolfwannabe » Mon Apr 18, 2011 2:26 pm

Blustag wrote:Thanks for that info... I will get some and try. Will try anything to help her as we are going into the summer now and her itching is getting worse. Also thought something herbal taken internally may help but cant find anything so far that works.
You're welcome :) I know how horrible it is watching them suffer itchiness, the constant scratching and chewing, I hope the wipes help Seagul as much as they do Zeus.
Mel.

claireyclaire
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by claireyclaire » Mon Apr 18, 2011 8:34 pm

Aloe Vera and/or Bee Propolis are quite good
“You can take the dog out of the Wolf Pack, But you can't take the Wolf Pack out of the dog"

Wave2Tuffy
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by Wave2Tuffy » Mon Apr 18, 2011 11:53 pm

I have started to give Wave Benadryl...his runny nose has finally stopped. This year has been horrible for allergies in NC

Blustag
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Blustag » Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:46 am

Think I will try some Aloe Vera next. The Forever Living is supposed to be the best you can get?? I know you can take it internally and apply it topically.

Misaya
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Misaya » Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:01 am

Some years we have trouble with harvest mites. It is usually around late summer. They are tiny little orange bugs (really hard to see) which get in their feet, belly, etc. My two female cats are really badly affected and come out in scabs which requires a steroid injection from the vet. The tom cat isnt bothered by them at all. There was one year when Ayasca's feet were itchy but other than that neither he or Mischa seem to be too bothered, but I know other dogs are.
- Fiona -

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. - Ambrose Bierce

RoyAM
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by RoyAM » Wed Apr 20, 2011 3:49 pm

Blustag wrote:I have a female (Seagul) who has a seasonal skin problem every year which causes her to violently itch her belly all the time. She has been on several diff diets and also steriods(worked for a week and then failed so I took her off them) but nothing helps. I am now trying another diet before it starts...usually around late spring and ends end of summer. I dont know the cause as she has been on concrete only and no grass to see if that worked and it didnt. I didnt have carpets previously so that wasnt it. I have tried everything and the vet is also puzzled. She is 8 yrs now and still having problems and I feel so sorry for her during this time. I give her a cool bath to try to help ease it as her skin gets very inflamed. Anyone else heard of anything like this? None of my other dogs have this problem and it def isnt mites or fleas or anything like that. Vet has done many tests over the years.
Lynn

Our late Bodie had a serious skin problem which developed at 5 years of age, he lost all his hair around his neck both thick wooly undercoat and long outer coat too. (Bodie is my mal in the avator pic with me)
He spent a year in and out of our vet with no joy and I then asked for a second opinion. He also constantly bit at his paws causing grazed wounds and again hair loss, he also bit and constantly licked between his toes.
With him lossing all hair around his neck, his pink skin in that area turned black, which is what happens.
Our vet made him an appointment with the "Royal Dick Vetinary Hospital" in Edinburgh where various skin scrapings and hair samples were taken. Over the following year he saw top dermatologists as well as university students and to be honest he enjoyed every minute of the pampering.

He was checked for dust mites, ticks, fleas and every type of insect you could think off and various alergies.
Eventually, (after a year) he was found to have 13 different grass allergies I have a list somewhere of each one and I will look it out if needed.

Apparently, he did not need to be on grass/nettles/fields etc, he only had to be where grass pollens were airborn!
He started off with Artuvetrin Injections; two injections due to the number of allergies, one injection was for 6 allergies, the other for the following 5. He had to stay over night for the first small doesage injection in case of serious reaction and over the following months the dosage was built up. after about 6 months, his hair around his neck started growing back and we gave him his monthly injections for the rest of his life which gave him a further 5 years of trouble free skin until we lost him in old age. His skin around his neck returned to a healthy pink and he continued to have regular 6 monthly visits to the hospital for check-ups.

You can only get this treatment imported from the Netherlands and i have photo-copied the treatment. it is specifically made up for the allargies found.

During the first 6 months of this illness Bodie was in a surgical collar as our vet had no idea what the condition was and the collar was to stop him licking his paws and rubbing his neck on the carpet or any other thing to ease the itch.

sorry for the long story but this is only a small fraction and cut very short, I have also attached his medication. I have further hospital reports i can search out if this is of any use.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Blustag
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Blustag » Thu Apr 21, 2011 10:14 am

Many thanks Roy. I dont think that Seagulll's problem is the same though but will mention all of this to my vet. She just starts itching underneath (her belly and groin area) late spring. She will lick it too and it becomes very red and sore looking. She dosnt chew or itch anywhere else on her body. It generally stops late summer and she has no further problems until the next spring but always late spring.

claireyclaire
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by claireyclaire » Thu Apr 21, 2011 9:25 pm

Blustag wrote:Think I will try some Aloe Vera next. The Forever Living is supposed to be the best you can get?? I know you can take it internally and apply it topically.
Definitely, I used to sell Forever Living for a while and I swear by it!
“You can take the dog out of the Wolf Pack, But you can't take the Wolf Pack out of the dog"

wolfwannabe
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by wolfwannabe » Fri Apr 22, 2011 4:33 pm

claireyclaire wrote:
Blustag wrote:Think I will try some Aloe Vera next. The Forever Living is supposed to be the best you can get?? I know you can take it internally and apply it topically.
Definitely, I used to sell Forever Living for a while and I swear by it!
I like to try this on Zeus, Where's the best place to buy it? and Which actual product would you recomend? I'd be grateful for the links please.

Thanks

Mel and Zeus
Mel.

Blustag
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Blustag » Sun Apr 24, 2011 1:26 pm

The Forever Living shampoo is good. Also the Aloe Juice which you can take internally and the Aloe Gel would be good to apply topically. You can only buy from a Forever Living rep so check out google for your nearest.

Hawthorne
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Hawthorne » Mon Apr 25, 2011 10:25 pm

Wave2Tuffy wrote:Wave has had a runny nose for many months now. I do not mean excess moisture on his nose BUT dripping clear fluids. My vet says "no biggie" unless the nasal discharge is anything but clear. Anyone else deal with such?
Wave2Tuffy wrote:Wave has had a runny nose for many months now. I do not mean excess moisture on his nose BUT dripping clear fluids. My vet says "no biggie" unless the nasal discharge is anything but clear. Anyone else deal with such?
I've just recently read that AirWick and Glade air fresheners (the kind you plug into a wall socket), as well as the bottle and stick variety (reed diffuser, see here: cause pets respiratory distress. Any of these will cause eyes and noses to run...not to mention Glade air fresheners have been linked to cancer in cats. I noticed that Fenris' eyes started to run when we purchased a vanilla reed diffuser for our open houses. Freyja is fine, though. Goes to show all dogs are different. Personally, I hate breathing that stuff.
Tracy Graziano
http://www.hawthornetamaskan.com

bark as if no one can hear you
catch the ball on the fly
lick like there's no end to kissing
sleep on a sofa nearby
jump like the sky is the limit
sit by the fire with friends
stay with the ones who love you
run like the road never ends

Blustag
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Blustag » Tue Apr 26, 2011 11:19 am

Another bad one for dogs is carpet cleaner particularly the Shake and Vac type,. If anyone is interested I use Trigene as a disenfectant for all my property. Vets and Hospitals use it over here and you can use it for your own kitchen use etc. It kills just about every animal bacteria you can think of...check it out.. I have tried other products but none as good as this over the years.

. http://www.hyperdrug.co.uk/Trigene-Adva ... o/TRIGENE/

torriarno
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by torriarno » Fri May 06, 2011 5:28 pm

Yes many skin problems can be caused by crops; crop spraying..carried in the wind..so causing rashes and nose problems...you can always put vaseline on the dogs noses and slightly inside this helps prevent some of the problems so the vet told me..rough collies suffer from this..and it did help mine...agriculture land of food stuffs is the worse place to live really for dogs because of the problems with the wind carrying the problems to the dog.. Spinnach in water is good on dogs food ..but given over 6 weeks and more of time to take effect...
keeping the dogs blood cool in the warmer weather...by putting a cooler block in water..(think tamaskans would eat them though) but perhaps they could be crushed and put in the water
sometimes high protein when a dog is too warm to work it off...can cause a rash..

i may be back with more thoughts on this ..as these problems more common than you think

i know sulphur is good to help reduce a rash...and a short course of zinc.
The MEETING OF MINDS

TerriHolt
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by TerriHolt » Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:18 am

Sorry to revive an old thread but it's been said that testing for EVERYTHING should be done where as i and some others think that only issues within the breed should be tested for...

Allergies was one of them...

Now i know that a lot of RPK dogs have allergies and that, maybe why the concern is prompted but i want to know how many TDR dogs have allergies and allergies to what because right now, at this moment, i don't think it's an issue with TDR registered dogs (maybe that opinion will change, who knows).

I'm trying to find out info without causing offence to anyone owning other than TDR registered dogs, i'll be wondering about others later so please, keep your wig on and don't take offence to anything ;)

So, i was wondering just how many dogs have allergies that could be genetic. It's not 100% guaranteed that the allergies pass on from parents to pups but it does increase the risk...

From what i've read, there are only a few cases of suspected 'seasonal' allergies?

Not all allergies are genetic but environmental as well so even if parents have some form of allergies, it's not forced to pass down.... I have yet to come across a web page that goes into detail but the environment can affect it, too. There’s a lot of research going on right now to determine what, in early puppy-hood, makes the immune system more likely to express that trait. There’s an immune education process happening in the first few weeks of life. Young animals treated with antibiotics could potentially be predisposed to problems later in life because antibiotics change the environment inside the gut, which is the largest immune organ in the body. That could be a predisposing cause.

I really hope that made sense :oops:

Edit: I'll start... Sam has none that i know of...

There’s a battle between two wolves inside us all.
One is Evil. It’s anger, jealousy, greed, resentment, inferiority, lies and ego.
The other is Good. It’s joy, peace, love, hope, humility, kindness and truth.

The wolf that wins? The one you feed!

~ Cherokee Proverb

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity... I'm not sure about the former.

~ Albert Einstein

HiTenshi16
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by HiTenshi16 » Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:52 am

As far as we know, Ulric has no allergies.
I know who you are talking about that is saying more testing needs to be done, and not too be rude, but they really should do some research before saying what needs to be done. From what I have seen, it is mostly RPK dogs who have allergies or really really sensitive stomachs.

Sylvaen
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Sylvaen » Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:56 am

It's a shame none of them will join this forum... lately they have been asking a lot of basic questions, the answers to which can all be found here. I had hoped they would come here to educate themselves about all the health tests, results, info, etc which we have been discussing (and practicing) for years.

Back on topic:
I think Jasper is allergic to raw eggs, I gave him one once (mixed in with Orijen kibble) and it gave him black diarrhea. Apart from that, my dogs don't have any issues with allergies (knock on wood that it stays that way).
The future lies before you, like a path of pure white snow...
Be careful how you tread it, for every step will show.

Hawthorne
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Hawthorne » Tue Oct 02, 2012 4:31 pm

I don't think Freyja or Raven have allergies. And we didn't administer any antibiotics to our litter either.
However, if a slightly runny eye during spring or fall indicates allergies--I suppose Darwin might have allergies. We haven't had him tested.
But he doesn't excessively chew his feet or tail or anything. He's quite healthy besides his slightly watery eye. I bet the poor boy is allergic to pollen--it's been very high here this year.
He's never had this problem until we moved here. (further south)
Tracy Graziano

sleep on a sofa nearby

Rahne

Post by Rahne » Tue Oct 02, 2012 4:45 pm

Both my Tams have no problems with allergies or overly sensitive stomachs as far as I know.

iamnic
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by iamnic » Tue Oct 02, 2012 5:10 pm

Neither Naima or Kona appear to have any allergies.

Naima does, however, have an extremely sensitive stomach. Any drastic changes in diet gives her the temporary runs, whether it be a new meat we're introducing or different brand of treat :roll: Nothing seems to faze Kona--she has a stomach of steel (in comparison).

Eventide
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by Eventide » Tue Oct 02, 2012 6:02 pm

Well, I have noticed Max licking and digging at his belly and under his back legs, especially at night, more and more. He also has a very sensitive tummy.

Tiantai
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Tiantai » Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:41 pm

Hmm...

I'm more curious about why there isn't a list of generally known allergens on the .org website like there is on the .com version.

TerriHolt
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by TerriHolt » Wed Oct 03, 2012 3:34 am

HiTenshi16 wrote:and not too be rude, but they really should do some research before saying what needs to be done. From what I have seen, it is mostly RPK dogs who have allergies or really really sensitive stomachs.
That is why i wanted to look into it before i state anything but i was sure it was mostly RPK lines which is a cause for concern, and it's baffled me as to why hostilities towards TDR for not testing for things that are not a huge issue have come about... If they have problems with their dogs then they should have looked before hand into where their dogs come from and it is not the fault of anyone else... It is the sole responsibility of the puppy buyer to make sure the pup is what they want and to make sure all the health documents are seen (only exception been breeder lying but asking to see health doc's usually covers that i think).

I suspect (but can't be sure) that a few of lynns breedings have health concerns but i can't for the life of me remember where i saw it or if it was actually puppies from lynn or people saying dogs descending from her lines have the issue :oops:

But anyway... Thanks for the answers thus far :D

There’s a battle between two wolves inside us all.
One is Evil. It’s anger, jealousy, greed, resentment, inferiority, lies and ego.
The other is Good. It’s joy, peace, love, hope, humility, kindness and truth.

The wolf that wins? The one you feed!

~ Cherokee Proverb

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity... I'm not sure about the former.

~ Albert Einstein

AZDehlin
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by AZDehlin » Wed Oct 03, 2012 5:42 am

Zephyr isn't allergic to anything and has a stomach of steal.

Tiantai
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Tiantai » Wed Oct 03, 2012 1:28 pm

TerriHolt wrote: That is why i wanted to look into it before i state anything but i was sure it was mostly RPK lines which is a cause for concern, and it's baffled me as to why hostilities towards TDR for not testing for things that are not a huge issue have come about... If they have problems with their dogs then they should have looked before hand into where their dogs come from and it is not the fault of anyone else... It is the sole responsibility of the puppy buyer to make sure the pup is what they want and to make sure all the health documents are seen (only exception been breeder lying but asking to see health doc's usually covers that i think).

I suspect (but can't be sure) that a few of lynns breedings have health concerns but i can't for the life of me remember where i saw it or if it was actually puppies from lynn or people saying dogs descending from her lines have the issue :oops:

But anyway... Thanks for the answers thus far :D
I agree with you Terri, I don't know any official TDR dogs with allergy problems either but I have seen in the Tamaskan Truth 2.0 group that some of the dogs from RPK are full of issues. I've had private conversations with some of the owners and a few revealed to me more than what they put up in the group. :cry: Unfortunately most of them told me that they didn't know what they were getting into back then when they were drawn by RPK. They love their dogs very much, that I have no doubt, but as far as I've been told some of the dogs (not all of them!) are apparently very sensitive to a lot of normally harmless stuff.

Hawthorne
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Hawthorne » Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:18 pm

Is it mostly tummy problems with the RPK dogs? Or what specifically? Have these dogs actually been diagnosed with allergies? Or are folks making assumptions?
Tracy Graziano

sleep on a sofa nearby