How Do You Keep Your Tam Company?

All topics pertaining to the temperament / character of the Tamaskan Dog.
Kaiya
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

How Do You Keep Your Tam Company?

Post by Kaiya » Tue Nov 30, 2010 3:03 am

I've been researching the Tam for some time now, and am absolutely in love with them. Unfortunately with work I am away from home 8 hours a day. I've read the Tam really needs a lot of attention/company. So I was just wondering how you all do it? Do you happen to work from home? Not work at all? Have a family / roommate / significant other on different time cycles so there is someone always home? A second dog? Take your Tam to work? etc...

I'm just wondering if it will ever be possible for me to own such a dog and maintain a 9-5 type job. Or is the Tam more for people who have at least someone in the house almost all the time? Or a work environment where you can bring your dog?

Just wondering how you all do it / what kind of living situations you all have!
-Andrea

Rahne

Re: How Do You Keep Your Tam Company?

Post by Rahne » Tue Nov 30, 2010 6:52 am

Well I study and my boyfriend works, but he works mostly evening/night shifts so usually there is someone at home for the dogs. Sometimes they have to stay alone for a few hours but that's pretty rare. If we are both gone for too long I will take the dogs to my father who is at home all day long. If Konah is alone she is always together with at least one of my other dogs.

HiTenshi16
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by HiTenshi16 » Tue Nov 30, 2010 7:07 am

My husband and I both work 8 hour shifts since we both work in retail (lately they're more like 10 hours for me). Sometimes I leave first and a couple hours later he leaves for work. We have Rukia, our German Shepherd mix who is home with my Ulric. Before the last person home leaves, we have been putting Ulric in a crate in our bedroom where it's nice and cold so he is comfortable, actually he will hear my alarm go off when it's time to go or I'll say, "I have to go now", and Ulric will go right in by himself. Rukia is able to roam free, Ulric counter surfs on everything which is why we have to put him in the crate. As soon as whoever gets home first, we take both dogs outside to do their business, then back in where they can play together the rest of the day. Ulric has never shown any separation anxiety and is always happy to greet me at the door with a deep "woo woo!".

Sylvaen
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Sylvaen » Tue Nov 30, 2010 11:35 am

My boyfriend works full-time at the office but I work full-time from home (freelance) so my 2 Tamaskans are pretty much never left alone... unless we go out where they can't come (movie theater, business meetings, interviews, etc) but then they'll only be left for a short time (the longest so far has been 4 hours but they were fine). If we go out to dinner, we normally frequent the restaurants that allow dogs (on the terrace, during the summer for instance) otherwise we just cook at home or order take-out. Whenever I go shopping, or anywhere really, 99% of the time the dogs will come along too... provided it is allowed. ;)
The future lies before you, like a path of pure white snow...
Be careful how you tread it, for every step will show.

Tropicalbreeze
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by Tropicalbreeze » Tue Nov 30, 2010 9:47 pm

What works for my wife and I is that we have a small pack of animals at home - dogs and cats. Our Tamaskan (like all) love being around other animals and of course us...lol...food time even more so.

I work close enough to get him home a few times during the work day so that helps too.

But even when we go out for dinner or shopping extended hours, it's having the whole pack that keeps our 6-month girl happy.

Don't get me wrong, a number of pillows have met an early demise but nothing really destructive.

So if you can get a Tamaskan (or two) or another dog at the same time - all the better! It helps to have a buddy dog and provides a good reason/excuse to get two Tamaskans! :D

JoshC
Tamtastic (Apprentice)
Tamtastic (Apprentice)

Post by JoshC » Tue Nov 30, 2010 9:54 pm

We keep our Tams company with the other 2 dogs LOL and the nice lady that comes to let them out for lunch

Kaiya
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by Kaiya » Wed Dec 01, 2010 1:01 am

Thank you guys so much for your input! I'm starting to feel a lot less hopeless about adopting a Tamaskan sooner then later (still definitely have some time ahead of me though!). It's great to hear how you all manage your Tams! It's something I've always wondered (with dogs in general for that matter!).

Would love to hear more responses if anyone else out there has something to share! :)
-Andrea

blufawn
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by blufawn » Sat Dec 04, 2010 9:33 am

Where I used to live I was on my own with my son. I could leave Nevada roaming the house with my Lhasa Apso but Zuul had to be crated as she ate all the lino on my kitchen floor. As long as she can see Nevada and Riker she is happy to be put into her crate while I was out, which was no more than 3 hours.
If you can meet with Triumph and Disaster
And treat those two impostors just the same;
If you can bear to hear the truth you've spoken
Twisted by knaves to make a trap for fools,
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!

Wave2Tuffy
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by Wave2Tuffy » Sun Dec 12, 2010 3:36 pm

I have a Aussie & a Norwegian Elkhound that keeps Wave entertained while away. I started out putting Wave in a crate when he was a pup when I would leave BUT the crate never could contain him. He was always out of the crate no matter what I did when I got home. He was very good though, never really destroyed anything or messed in the house as a pup. I stress PUP, though. As an adolescent he became a lil more eager to use my pillows as chew toys :) There are also certain objects that get his attention when left home now......like boxes of tissues or reams of paper. If either are in his reach they will be shredded when I get home. :) :roll: :(

TeresaC
Tamabulous (Promoter)
Tamabulous (Promoter)

Post by TeresaC » Tue Dec 14, 2010 2:33 am

As my spouse, Josh C said, we have a pet sitter that comes at lunch to let our pack out. We have a fenced in yard so they get to play, get belly rubs and treats from our Pet Sitter/Nanny:)
Teresa Cutler
Moondance Tamaskan, Wisconsin
US Tamaskan Dog Club, Secretary

Hawthorne
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Hawthorne » Mon Dec 20, 2010 2:46 am

When I was living with my husband, he went into work at 10am, and I didn't go into work until 2pm. He got home at 6:30 and I came home at 8pm. My in-laws would stop by during the 4.5 hour time we weren't home--sometimes taking the dogs with them to their house (they love dogs, too).

And yes, "dogs"--we have a Tam and a Sheprador. Freyja, our Tam, HATES being alone. Like her brother Wave, she will break out of her crate of we leave her without our other dog. When we first got her, I was doing this to try and acclimate her to being alone. Just a little bit at a time. I was trying to walk the dogs separately to try and give individualized attention (as they both are young). Nope. Didn't work. We have to walk both of them together now. I think Freyja, being the alpha dog, "needs" her other dog.

Freyja has never destroyed anything because we still crate her when we are away. Of course, Fenris' crate is right next to hers so she's fine. However, during holidays, we take the dogs with us to my parents house/ to my inlaws. The dogs get a holiday meal, too. :) Freyja also has an affinity for tissues. We always have to make sure the trash cans are empty because she will pick out the tissues and eat them. YUCK!

But now I'm in a temporary living situation--5 hours away from home. My husband's parents come over a lot more now, and take the dogs to their house. I hate it--it makes me sick to be away from them but they're doing very well and I do feel very blessed to have such wonderful inlaws. :D Once we sell our house back home we will be able to buy a house here and finally live together again. Until then, I'm worried sick.
Tracy Graziano
http://www.hawthornetamaskan.com

bark as if no one can hear you
catch the ball on the fly
lick like there's no end to kissing
sleep on a sofa nearby
jump like the sky is the limit
sit by the fire with friends
stay with the ones who love you
run like the road never ends

miffany
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by miffany » Thu Jan 13, 2011 3:15 pm

Wow Tracy that sounds hard! Hope you get your house sorted soon!

My boyfriend mostly works evenings so is at home during the day while I am at work. Zuuk might be left for a few hours between Matthew leaving for work and me coming home, but it's not too long. If Matthew does have to work during the day then Zuuk comes to the office with me. Everyone loves him and he really likes coming to the office and getting lots of fuss and treats, but can sometimes be a bit of a pain if I have a lot of stuff to get done and he wants to play or go for yet another walk.

We have recently moved in with my parents and now leaving Zuuk on his own for any length of time - even if we are still in the house but in a different room - can be disastrous as he will help himself to anything; pot plants, books, DVDs, tissue boxes, sooty logs from the fire, christmas decorations, antique foot stools - whatever he can get his teeth into and will destroy them. I'm really not sure what to do with him at the moment as Matthew normally sleeps in quite late after I have left for work- and even though I take Zuuk out for 40 mins before I leave - by the time Matt gets up, there is a big mess to clear up, my parents to placate and a super happy with himself Zuuk sitting in the middle of the chaos he has created. ;-S

Hawthorne
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Hawthorne » Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:54 am

We worked very hard when our dogs were young. We never left them unsupervised, even for a moment. If we had to do something that pulled us away from them, the puppy went into a crate. If either dog took something they shouldn't have, we immediately replaced the item with something that was theirs. We always had a chew toy within reach. The best are hard rubber toys like Kongs, braided rope bones, and the very best are Nylabones.
The result has been that neither of our dogs chew on anything besides their own toys now. (Fenris is 2.5 and Freyja will be 2 next month).
As I said, Freyja will steal tissues on occasion--but it has gotten better with time. We've found that the worst thing we can do is chase her. This makes her swallow the item almost immediately. Freyja is very obedient--when we say 'come' she comes. So now if she has something she shouldn't we ask her to come and trade her for a treat. Works every time!
Freyja and Fenris both love their nylabones. In fact, it's kind of like a pacifier for Freyja. Every night before bed she gets a bone, chews for a bit, and then falls asleep. If we are in a different place (like my parent's house) and don't have a nylabone for her, she paces and takes a very long time to settle down. When we take Freyja to camp with us, we shut her in the bedroom with us--otherwise she paces the camp all night long. (despite having a nylabone)
Maybe the new environment just means a little extra time and care is needed. I'm sure your pup will adapt. Once we move, I'm sure our dogs and cats will be nuts for a while and I'll be asking everyone here what to do!
Tracy Graziano
http://www.hawthornetamaskan.com

bark as if no one can hear you
catch the ball on the fly
lick like there's no end to kissing
sleep on a sofa nearby
jump like the sky is the limit
sit by the fire with friends
stay with the ones who love you
run like the road never ends

JoshC
Tamtastic (Apprentice)
Tamtastic (Apprentice)

Post by JoshC » Thu Jan 20, 2011 8:06 pm

Now we keep our 2 Tams company with the other 2 dogs

GjenetCarro
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by GjenetCarro » Sat Jan 29, 2011 6:11 pm

Sylvaen wrote: Whenever I go shopping, or anywhere really, 99% of the time the dogs will come along too... provided it is allowed. ;)
From my experience of traveling, Europe has less "No Dogs Allowed" signs than in America. In Germany, you can take dogs ANYWHERE!!! They have even little doggy pins at Burger King and nice resturants where they have water bowls and stuff. Just recently has NC started letting dogs be as more accepted at eateries. You can bring a dog but you have to sit outside, but most retail stores say no (with service dogs an exeption).
"To look into the eyes of a wolf is to see your own soul - hope you like what you see."
~ Aldo Leopold

"We humans fear the beast within the wolf because we do not understand the beast within ourselves."
~ Gerald Hausman

Nino
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Nino » Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:04 pm

GjenetCarro wrote:
Sylvaen wrote: Whenever I go shopping, or anywhere really, 99% of the time the dogs will come along too... provided it is allowed. ;)
From my experience of traveling, Europe has less "No Dogs Allowed" signs than in America. In Germany, you can take dogs ANYWHERE!!! They have even little doggy pins at Burger King and nice resturants where they have water bowls and stuff. Just recently has NC started letting dogs be as more accepted at eateries. You can bring a dog but you have to sit outside, but most retail stores say no (with service dogs an exeption).
Anywhere they keep food dogs are almost certainly not allowed in DK - an a lot of other places too.. though most places don't have signs since most people just know such things
>> Nino <<

GjenetCarro
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by GjenetCarro » Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:50 pm

Nino wrote:
GjenetCarro wrote:
Anywhere they keep food dogs are almost certainly not allowed in DK - an a lot of other places too.. though most places don't have signs since most people just know such things
Yeah same here, I mean I understand but I think some dogs behave better than most children ;)
"To look into the eyes of a wolf is to see your own soul - hope you like what you see."
~ Aldo Leopold

"We humans fear the beast within the wolf because we do not understand the beast within ourselves."
~ Gerald Hausman

Nino
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Nino » Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:56 pm

GjenetCarro wrote:
Yeah same here, I mean I understand but I think some dogs behave better than most children ;)
Well I do not disagree at all..
>> Nino <<

Sylvaen
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Sylvaen » Sat Jan 29, 2011 8:13 pm

GjenetCarro wrote:From my experience of traveling, Europe has less "No Dogs Allowed" signs than in America. In Germany, you can take dogs ANYWHERE!!! They have even little doggy pins at Burger King and nice resturants where they have water bowls and stuff. Just recently has NC started letting dogs be as more accepted at eateries. You can bring a dog but you have to sit outside, but most retail stores say no (with service dogs an exeption).
I find that Western Europe is (generally) very tolerant; the Netherlands and Germany especially. When I was living in Holland I could take my dogs (more or less) everywhere: on all buses/trains/trams (at anytime), into some department stores, even some restaurants allowed them INSIDE (and most restaurants allowed them outside, if you were sitting in the terrace area). There were also lots of Dog Parks and dog-friendly areas (at the beach, etc).

Here in Croatia it's not quite as dog tolerant. I can take them with me most places, but I usually have to tie them up outside when I go in (almost all stores and restaurants) - there are a couple of restaurants that allow dogs outside and I did find one restaurant that allows them inside, which was unexpected... but cool. Unfortunately the buses and trains here are very restrictive... I think that dogs are only allowed if they are toy breeds (in a carry-on bag). They are allowed on trams, but only during a very narrow time-frame: if it's the weekend or a public holiday, after 8pm... so quite restrictive. I have also found some cafes that let you sit outside with the dogs and I definitely take them out-and-about as much as possible, since it's good for the dogs to socialize with a bunch of people in different environments and it also shows people that dogs aren't SOOOO bad... even the ones that look like the "big bad wolf" (lol) - the more that people learn to tolerate dogs, the sooner the laws will change and become more accepting.

One thing that really bothers me is that dogs aren't allowed to travel as passengers on commercial airlines (large dogs have to go in the cargo) - yet obese people (who take up more space than a large dog) and screaming children (who bother the other passengers) are allowed - it just seems really crazy. You wouldn't travel with your children kept down in the cargo bay, so why should dogs have to endure it? Time for the laws to change methinks!
The future lies before you, like a path of pure white snow...
Be careful how you tread it, for every step will show.

GjenetCarro
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by GjenetCarro » Sat Jan 29, 2011 8:38 pm

I do agree with you Debby. My mom said something about Germany allowing dogs because of the low-child rate compared to other countries and how germans dont mess around with them so I guess these guidlines kept all the owners in check??? The dogs in Germany are all super nice and well socialized compared to America. And the airport thing does suck!! I dont mind me sitting in the back of the plane so I can have him next to me in his crate or pay extra to be seated on a plane that allows them. The airports need to be a bit more tolerable and flexible about this! Dogs are family as you said and whoever lets dogs of all sizes be crated or free walk in a plane with the owner will make some major cash.
~ Aldo Leopold

~ Gerald Hausman

Tatzel
Tamtastic (Apprentice)
Tamtastic (Apprentice)

Post by Tatzel » Tue Mar 06, 2012 3:55 am

Hmm, it's not that paradise-ish in Germany.
You may not take them into supermarkets or stores where they sell food (there's a law against that and I guess it has something to do with hygiene and some people being allergic to dog hair), unless they're guide dogs.
You may leave your dog outside of the super market, but personally I'd never do that (again) because once when I did, our dog was stolen while I was inside the store (but we got it back after 3 days, luckily. He was found roaming in a town nearby with a different collar on, someone must have stolen him and I guess he either espaced or they exposed them because he wasn a dog who had a lot of unwanted behaviours (pooping out of protest though he was housetrained and chewing up things when he got mad at us).

They're fobidden in most resturants, too. It's better to be safe than sorry and ask first before taking your dog to a resturant.

Most places have dog-crossout-signs at their entrance to make clear where dogs are allowed and where they aren't.

AngieH
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by AngieH » Wed Mar 07, 2012 2:52 am

One of my favorite places is Yellow Springs, Ohio. It's a very pet friendly small town.

Most establishments do permit pets-in-arms anywhere and leashed larger pets are provided "hitching posts" and water bowels in front of many businesses. The bike trails are pet friendly and most restaurants will permit dogs on their outdoor seething areas and a few will let pets inside if they will lie under the table at your feet.

I admit that this is not the normal state of things in the USA. Far from it :roll: Yellow Springs is an easy-going, laid-back community often reffered to as "hippy town" But it just goes to show you that you can cultivate a pet friendly community in any country.

-Angie

PS - since I work from home, Paka keeps *me* company. While I sit at my desk tethered to the phone head set, she has the roam of the place and takes me out for walks on my breaks. :lol:
One's horizon shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage.
~Nin