Hackles (a question about fur)

All topics pertaining to the temperament / character of the Tamaskan Dog.
susann
Tamabulous (Promoter)
Tamabulous (Promoter)

Hackles (a question about fur)

Post by susann » Tue Oct 12, 2010 1:38 pm

It is common for these dogs to bristle? Nova does that a lot .. from her neck to her tail =) especially at the base of her tail. Looks funny.. she never barks or growls.. just burst...
Almost always when she sees other people or dogs she never met before.

anyone else's dog that burst like this???

Rahne

Re: Hackles

Post by Rahne » Tue Oct 12, 2010 1:57 pm

Konah does that too sometimes. Makes her look bigger and more ferocious :mrgreen:

susann
Tamabulous (Promoter)
Tamabulous (Promoter)

Post by susann » Tue Oct 12, 2010 2:06 pm

Yes.. lol.. yes it makes her look very big and scary =) =)

Sylvaen
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Sylvaen » Tue Oct 12, 2010 4:20 pm

Yes, Jasper always "raises his hackles" when he first meets another dog (from a distance) but it's just his way of saying hello / being "macho" - once he's up close the fur goes down and he starts wagging / being super goofy. If it's a larger / older male, then Jasper becomes very submissive: belly up, licking the other dog's chin/mouth, etc. Like a puppy :lol:
when the hackles go up only near the shoulder area this is sign of confidence. The ears are also erect, the tail is held high and the ears are erect.

Sometimes, dogs may raise their hackles when they are overexcited and aroused rather than fearful. Generally, the meaning of raised hackles is determined by looking at other body language rather than focusing on the hackles alone.
http://hubpages.com/hub/The-Function-of-a-Dogs-Hackles
The future lies before you, like a path of pure white snow...
Be careful how you tread it, for every step will show.

blufawn
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Re: Hackles (a question about fur)

Post by blufawn » Tue Oct 12, 2010 4:29 pm

Riker doesn't raise his hackles, he raises his whole coat... it's weird.
If you can meet with Triumph and Disaster
And treat those two impostors just the same;
If you can bear to hear the truth you've spoken
Twisted by knaves to make a trap for fools,
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!

Blustag
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Blustag » Tue Oct 12, 2010 4:40 pm

Yes many of mine do that :lol:

MelB
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by MelB » Tue Oct 12, 2010 6:05 pm

Cindy does that too when she's really excited. Never when she first meets/sees a dog just when she's playing. No growling or any aggressive posturing either. I swear she hasn't got a nasty bone in her body, she's so sweet and wants to play with everything. She looks so funny when her tail bristles too - just like a bottle brush :lol:

Misaya
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Misaya » Tue Oct 12, 2010 6:51 pm

Mine do it too.
- Fiona -

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. - Ambrose Bierce

hearn188
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by hearn188 » Tue Oct 12, 2010 6:54 pm

Annu does this too but they run the whole of the length of his back from the base of his neck to the tip of his tail. Really weird to see as his fur is quite long on the top of his back. His tail looks like a toilet brush when he does it!

Sylvaen
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Sylvaen » Tue Oct 12, 2010 7:22 pm

Jasper only ever raises his shoulder hackles, but Vixen (when she does raise her hackles) raises the fur along the entire length of her back. You can see it a bit in this photo, but sometimes it's even more pronounced.
Vixen-12.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

susann
Tamabulous (Promoter)
Tamabulous (Promoter)

Post by susann » Tue Oct 12, 2010 8:24 pm

Yes, this is just like my Nova.. but a bit more and all the way from neck to tail.. looks funny.. lol
She's so cute.. I love everything about her.. :)
Sylvaen wrote:Yes, Jasper always "raises his hackles" when he first meets another dog (from a distance) but it's just his way of saying hello / being "macho" - once he's up close the fur goes down and he starts wagging / being super goofy. If it's a larger / older male, then Jasper becomes very submissive: belly up, licking the other dog's chin/mouth, etc. Like a puppy :lol:
when the hackles go up only near the shoulder area this is sign of confidence. The ears are also erect, the tail is held high and the ears are erect.

Sometimes, dogs may raise their hackles when they are overexcited and aroused rather than fearful. Generally, the meaning of raised hackles is determined by looking at other body language rather than focusing on the hackles alone.
http://hubpages.com/hub/The-Function-of-a-Dogs-Hackles
Yes.. when we are at the "puppy school" she raise from head to tail when she is overexcited..
when she just so so soo happy and running around with the other puppys.. so funny :D

Jen
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by Jen » Wed Oct 13, 2010 10:50 am

Oh thats really interesting!! Sasha does this every time she meets a new dog and I thought it was because she was a little scared but I am glad to hear its kind of normal!! I always spend half the walk telling other dog owners " dont worry she is friendly she just always has her hackles up when she greets"!! To be fair it does make them look even more wild and quite scarey!!

She met a HUGE irish wolfhound on our walk this saturday and after initially being a little hesitant due to his size they got on like a house on fire!! It was really funny and ironic to see them play , kind of like a terrier cuddling a rat!! Wish I had got a camera with me! :cry:

JonathanJ
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by JonathanJ » Thu Oct 14, 2010 12:02 pm

hearn188 wrote:Annu does this too but they run the whole of the length of his back from the base of his neck to the tip of his tail. Really weird to see as his fur is quite long on the top of his back. His tail looks like a toilet brush when he does it!
:lol: :lol: No kidding about the toilet brush! Tsonata does the same he also is begining to roll his lip back and show teeth. If I didn't know him this would be really scary.
What's in the doggy bag?

SpiritEcho
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by SpiritEcho » Tue Nov 16, 2010 6:26 am

sounds like a reaction stimulated by excitement.
Dogs are a gift most people don't deserve ^..^

winterblitz
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by winterblitz » Fri Apr 08, 2011 3:12 pm

Tala raises her hackles whenever she is excited. We have seen them raise at the puppy park (in play and as a warning), at obediance class while doing new exercises, in play with the cat, and even just watching deer in the backyard.

Nino
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Nino » Fri Apr 08, 2011 3:39 pm

Sølve does it when she is unsure how to react
>> Nino <<

nivenj
Tamtastic (Apprentice)
Tamtastic (Apprentice)

Hackles

Post by nivenj » Tue Jul 10, 2012 11:08 pm

Sorry, I know I read this somewhere on the forum, but I cant find it (maybe it was in the deleted topics), but anyway. I remember someone commenting on raised hackles, and the difference between raising at just the shoulders and when its the shoulders and all the way down the back.

Ayden has just started to raise his hackles at every new dog he sees (just the shoulders though). The Hackles go down after a couple of seconds of sniffing, but it does freak people out when they see him lower his head to the ground and raise his hackles. :-S.
We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit.” --Aristotle *

Booma
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Booma » Tue Jul 10, 2012 11:46 pm

I remember this. I think it may be in the thread "golden litter discussion"
Image Image

TerriHolt
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by TerriHolt » Wed Jul 11, 2012 12:51 am

arianwenarie wrote:When his fur is standing, what type of hair pattern is it? If it's just the shoulders, then it's confidence he can take on whatever's bothering him. If it's split mohawk style where it's just the shoulder and butt end, then that's unstable fur - he doesn't know whether he wants to take it on or run away from the problem. (He's fighting between his defense flight and defense fight response). If it's full mohawk style where it's from shoulder to butt end, then that's a fear response - he's scared of the situation. In this case, if he's confident enough to take it on, then he'll try to fight it. If not, then he'll want to run away from what's scaring him.

Best way to meet dogs he's never met, in my opinion, is to go on a walk together and then just hang out with the dogs laying down next to their handlers (on leash) while the handlers chat. If they're comfortable with each other, you'll see them relax. Otherwise, no.
:mrgreen:

Psst... In Here

There’s a battle between two wolves inside us all.
One is Evil. It’s anger, jealousy, greed, resentment, inferiority, lies and ego.
The other is Good. It’s joy, peace, love, hope, humility, kindness and truth.

The wolf that wins? The one you feed!

~ Cherokee Proverb

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity... I'm not sure about the former.

~ Albert Einstein

nivenj
Tamtastic (Apprentice)
Tamtastic (Apprentice)

Post by nivenj » Wed Jul 11, 2012 1:50 am

TerriHolt wrote:
arianwenarie wrote:When his fur is standing, what type of hair pattern is it? If it's just the shoulders, then it's confidence he can take on whatever's bothering him. If it's split mohawk style where it's just the shoulder and butt end, then that's unstable fur - he doesn't know whether he wants to take it on or run away from the problem. (He's fighting between his defense flight and defense fight response). If it's full mohawk style where it's from shoulder to butt end, then that's a fear response - he's scared of the situation. In this case, if he's confident enough to take it on, then he'll try to fight it. If not, then he'll want to run away from what's scaring him.

Best way to meet dogs he's never met, in my opinion, is to go on a walk together and then just hang out with the dogs laying down next to their handlers (on leash) while the handlers chat. If they're comfortable with each other, you'll see them relax. Otherwise, no.
:mrgreen:

Psst... In Here
Thats the one, great thanks Terri. So, he's just being cocky then by the sounds of it :-P
We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit.” --Aristotle *

arianwenarie
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by arianwenarie » Wed Jul 11, 2012 2:48 am

nivenj wrote:Thats the one, great thanks Terri. So, he's just being cocky then by the sounds of it :-P
Possibly. If you are able to teach him positions like they do with dogs in obedience trials, then I'd teach him the "behind" command to have him go behind you to help diffuse the situation. You never want to see a hair pattern on a dog, but sometimes you just do. Once they see that you're in control of the situation, they usually just let it go IF they trust and respect you.

Remember the saying "the one in front is the leader of the pack"? It's very true in the dog world. ;) I'd be most concerned because it IS a confident hair pattern - if the other dog isn't too keen with him, he'll likely take on the challenge or put up a display to show he's all that. :lol: It's OK to let him sniff other dogs, but I'd watch the body language...if he's fixated on the other dog, please, don't let him greet.

If he's OK and you allow him to greet the other dog(s), walk through your dog within 2 seconds to end the greet. Dogs follow a 4 second rule: first 2 seconds, the assess the situation; 3rd second, they make a decision and on the 4th second, they act on their decision. That's why most attacks appear spontaneous. If you walk through (and not pull away by the leash), bump your dog out of the way and walk him away from the situation at least 1 foot away, on the start of the 3rd second, you don't allow them to make a decision - you do it for them. Make sense? :?

Hawthorne
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Hawthorne » Fri Jul 13, 2012 1:30 pm

nivenj wrote: lower his head to the ground
Lowering the head to the ground is actually a calming signal. Is he acting like he's sniffing the ground? If so he's just telling the other dog he means no harm.
Tracy Graziano
http://www.hawthornetamaskan.com

bark as if no one can hear you
catch the ball on the fly
lick like there's no end to kissing
sleep on a sofa nearby
jump like the sky is the limit
sit by the fire with friends
stay with the ones who love you
run like the road never ends

WhiteElkDoe
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by WhiteElkDoe » Fri Jul 13, 2012 1:48 pm

Rhea raises hers too when meeting new dogs, usually ones that are bigger than her. I think she's just being bossy/confident/putting on a show for the newcomer.

lasgal
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Raised Hackles

Post by lasgal » Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:18 pm

I noticed while Tallulah and I were playing fetch/chase today the hair on the back of her neck would raise when she went into the play stance, but go down as soon as we started running around. I'm curious if any other Tams do this? She is happy and having fun so I don't think it's a scared or aggressive feeling. I have never seen hackles raised on a playing dog.

Sylvaen
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Sylvaen » Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:36 pm

Vala's hackles go up all the time, even when she's playing hehe - I think she uses it as a warning if other dogs are getting too rough around her.

Eventide
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by Eventide » Thu Dec 06, 2012 8:17 pm

Yep, Max (11 months) will have a fur streak down his whole backside sometimes when he's been playing with one of his "cousins" for no apparent reason (that I can see). Sometimes even when we're getting ready to go for a walk, and he loves his walks). :?

arianwenarie
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by arianwenarie » Fri Dec 07, 2012 7:17 am

Dottie wrote:Yep, Max (11 months) will have a fur streak down his whole backside sometimes when he's been playing with one of his "cousins" for no apparent reason (that I can see). Sometimes even when we're getting ready to go for a walk, and he loves his walks). :?
I think I know what you're talking about... I see this sometimes with my lab when we're about to go out on a bathroom break. Actually, it happened again just this morning. What I've noticed after further reflection is that I am in a hurry to leave, so I make her rush, when this happens. Therefore, my conclusion to my own dog's reaction is that my emotional state (and chemical signals that I'm giving out and body language) is just freaking her out a little. I mean, I get it...how would you feel if someone just barged into your room bright and early in the morning when you're sleeping and goes "HEY! Get up! Let's go. Come on...move along." and practically shoves you out of your room? :lol: Ever since I realized what the issue might be, I try not to be late getting ready in the mornings, but hey...sometimes, it's just difficult to wake up in the mornings for work. ;)

HiTenshi16
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by HiTenshi16 » Fri Dec 07, 2012 3:23 pm

arianwenarie wrote:I mean, I get it...how would you feel if someone just barged into your room bright and early in the morning when you're sleeping and goes "HEY! Get up! Let's go. Come on...move along." and practically shoves you out of your room? :lol:
My mum did that to me every morn for school :P