Hunting Instinct?

All topics pertaining to the temperament / character of the Tamaskan Dog.
wicca1
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Re: Hunting Instinct?

Post by wicca1 » Fri Aug 05, 2011 10:09 pm

we found out Lenka was a hunter/chaser when we first got her and she killed a pheasant, about 2 weeks ago in the early hours she legged it up our track chasing something (not sure what) and i finally found her just as it was getting light after about 3 hours of searching the lanes ect , she was 2 fields away glad to say all was well, just one smelly dirty dog (she had been rolling in some kind of poo)and i scratched my leg climbing over the barbed wire fence o,h well the joys of dog ownership :lol: :lol: .

JulieSmith
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by JulieSmith » Sat Aug 06, 2011 8:40 am

Saga has a hunting instinct as well, she loves hunting for mice in the old hay field we walk through, unfortunately she has now started catching them :( The other evening she had trotted ahead of us and when we caught up with her she had a small bird in her mouth :( :( not sure if she caught it or found it already dead or injured. She has even chased a fox on our walk, but that was probably because it was on the path and ran, luckily we don't usually see foxes when we are out walking.

I would not mind her catching the mice so much if she ate them, but she just plays with them and kills them, which is just horrid.

Rahne

Post by Rahne » Tue Aug 30, 2011 2:05 pm

Uggh gros, Konah just managed to catch a rabbit.. She has been chasing them for a while but they were always too quick for her and lately she didn't bothered wasting energy on them. This one might have been ill or something, it was alone sitting in tall grass. Konah spotted it and started to chase, then it went into the bushes with Konah behind and I heard this horrible screaming :shock: :cry:
Luckily she killed it very fast and then ate it fully. When she got back out of the bushes after 20 minutes or so her whole stomach was blown up and she was covered in blood, yuck! Now keeping my fingers crossed that she keeps it inside..

Blustag
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Blustag » Tue Aug 30, 2011 3:01 pm

Oh dear. I hope it wasnt diseased :( better keep an eye on her as usually rabbits can outrun the dogs.

Gaby
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Gaby » Tue Aug 30, 2011 7:35 pm

Iewll, not very nice to see/hear that happen. Luckily a dog has a good stomach. If you see what kind of other gross things they eat... :shock: But as Lynn said, I would keep an eye on her. ;)

AZDehlin
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by AZDehlin » Tue Aug 30, 2011 7:57 pm

Yuck! Hopefully she just got lucky on the catch and it wasn't sick.

Katlin
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Katlin » Tue Aug 30, 2011 10:49 pm

Oh no! Poor bunny, at least Konah didn't fool around with it like my cats do with moths. Fingers crossed that she keeps it....down :P
Polarose Tamaskan
Polardog Outfitters
Owner of Sierra Kaweah RN RI TDI TRN TTDN CRN-MCL @ Polarose

CSpiker86
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by CSpiker86 » Wed Aug 31, 2011 5:11 pm

i gotta watch out for my cat Nissan too. I live on the third floor of an apartment and will let my cats out onto the back patio for some fresh air. low and behold my boy Nissan comes running in the house straight to me with my girl Porsche right next to him. I though nothing at first but Nissan kept growling at her so i look down at him an he had a gecko in his mouth :shock: the only thing sticking out was its tail. I bent down to him and it was like he presented it to me, he just opened his mouth and let it fall onto my hand :lol: i think he was giving a gift to mommy. :lol: the gecko wasnt hurt at all, i quickly took it back outside and it scurried off.

TParham86
Tamational (Expert)
Tamational (Expert)

Post by TParham86 » Wed Aug 31, 2011 6:03 pm

CSpiker86 wrote:i gotta watch out for my cat Nissan too. I live on the third floor of an apartment and will let my cats out onto the back patio for some fresh air. low and behold my boy Nissan comes running in the house straight to me with my girl Porsche right next to him. I though nothing at first but Nissan kept growling at her so i look down at him an he had a gecko in his mouth :shock: the only thing sticking out was its tail. I bent down to him and it was like he presented it to me, he just opened his mouth and let it fall onto my hand :lol: i think he was giving a gift to mommy. :lol: the gecko wasnt hurt at all, i quickly took it back outside and it scurried off.

:lol: at least your Nissan didn't eat it :lol: remember Bart would rip and eat the gecko tails :lol: :lol: :lol:

JulieSmith
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by JulieSmith » Thu Sep 01, 2011 10:27 pm

Saga has now started eating the mice she catches - yuck :evil: Luckily for me there are no rabbits on our walk or she would probably want to catch them as well

Saxon
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by Saxon » Fri Sep 16, 2011 10:58 am

looks like Saga is taking after mum, does she go into (I call it the wolf posture) when she gets a scent of something, head down nose to the ground, tail down, and a slow lope following the scent.

JulieSmith
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by JulieSmith » Fri Sep 16, 2011 1:00 pm

Saxon wrote:looks like Saga is taking after mum, does she go into (I call it the wolf posture) when she gets a scent of something, head down nose to the ground, tail down, and a slow lope following the scent.
Hi Pete,

Yes she trots through the field with her head down until she finds a mouse smell then she jumps all four paws of the ground and thumps into the grass, sometimes she does 2 or 3 jumps right into the middle of a patch of long grass, it does look funny. No rabbits or pheasants yet, thankfully. How are you all doing? Are you going to post some photos of Odin and Frigga in their new home?

dash
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by dash » Wed Oct 05, 2011 11:05 am

Dashka has caught 2 rabbits to date, the first time was when it was just her and she ate it with no ill effect.
The 2nd time she was on a ride with a customer and snatched the rabbit from the bushes. She ate just the head and internal organs and then let the other two dogs on the gangline have the rest.
This all took about 5 mins and then they resumed their ride and carried on , luckily the woman on the ride didn't seem to mind.
I may be wrong, but I think as lead dog she ate the brain power parts and left the muscle bits to the other dogs. I have read that wolf packs eat different parts of their kill according to their jobs within the pack, or maybe I'm just reading too much into it.......but interesting none the less.
We don't encourage her prey drive and now she's only really intersted in rabbits, whereas when she was younger she'd chase anything that moved.

Blustag
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Blustag » Wed Oct 05, 2011 11:06 am

Poor woman was it her first time out :lol: :lol: :lol:

dash
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by dash » Wed Oct 05, 2011 11:10 am

Yes it was, she was on her 2nd lap which is a time trial, but she was very good about it. The dogs didn't fight over it they waited for Dash to give them some and they shared it around.
The lady was amazed as I was at this and it was a good talking point about lead dogs and prey drive!!

sandraj
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by sandraj » Mon Nov 21, 2011 6:13 pm

Hi I'm thinking of getting a tamaskan, and living in the forest (norway, kinda cold and nice) I'm wondering if the tamaskans hunt for bigger game, like deer. I't might cause me a little problems whith hunters (human sort). And also i'ts not too good for the deere, and the dogs tent to go quite far and be gone for a but too long when they go on a hunting spree.

TerriHolt
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by TerriHolt » Mon Nov 21, 2011 9:41 pm

sandraj wrote:Hi I'm thinking of getting a tamaskan, and living in the forest (norway, kinda cold and nice) I'm wondering if the tamaskans hunt for bigger game, like deer. I't might cause me a little problems whith hunters (human sort). And also i'ts not too good for the deere, and the dogs tent to go quite far and be gone for a but too long when they go on a hunting spree.
i don't think they would go for anything that big... even wolves do it in a big pack but out of the need hunt and feed said big pack because they need to... so a single or couple dogs of who get fed regular wouldn't even think about it nor have any need to :P ... i don't think anyway... unless that's what they are taught to do i guess... but that's different :D

There’s a battle between two wolves inside us all.
One is Evil. It’s anger, jealousy, greed, resentment, inferiority, lies and ego.
The other is Good. It’s joy, peace, love, hope, humility, kindness and truth.

The wolf that wins? The one you feed!

~ Cherokee Proverb

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity... I'm not sure about the former.

~ Albert Einstein

Czertice
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by Czertice » Tue Nov 22, 2011 8:01 am

I'd say that hunting instinct depends more on the dog than on the breed. They say that hunting instinct can be really strong in Czechoslovakian Wolfdogs, but I meet dogs of other breeds that have it far worse than my CSW Raksha. Also one breeder of CSWs has four CSWs and with them a mixbreed found at a lamp post, and guess what, the mix is the biggest hunter of the pack:]
You should be prepared for that no matter what breed you decide to buy.
My friend's jagdterrier has hunted down a doe right in front of his eyes. Went for the throat. Never underestimate small dogs;P

mel
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by mel » Mon Nov 28, 2011 10:59 pm

My tamaskan Henki (blustag nana) just loves to hunt I have over the last few weeks managed to train her to the whistle because her very favorite prey is fallow and roedeer she will now recall but Im sure if I hadnt trained her to come back it would have ended in tears so now its just boring mice and birds

Tiantai
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Tiantai » Tue Dec 20, 2011 5:00 pm

dash wrote:Dashka has caught 2 rabbits to date, the first time was when it was just her and she ate it with no ill effect.
The 2nd time she was on a ride with a customer and snatched the rabbit from the bushes. She ate just the head and internal organs and then let the other two dogs on the gangline have the rest.
This all took about 5 mins and then they resumed their ride and carried on , luckily the woman on the ride didn't seem to mind.
Interesting! That's also bit more horrifying than with the past case with Debby's dog and Tarheel's former Tundra (she once caught a garden mouse and hurled it in the air and then swallowed it whole according to an email I got from them)
dash wrote: I may be wrong, but I think as lead dog she ate the brain power parts and left the muscle bits to the other dogs. I have read that wolf packs eat different parts of their kill according to their jobs within the pack, or maybe I'm just reading too much into it.......but interesting none the less.
We don't encourage her prey drive and now she's only really intersted in rabbits, whereas when she was younger she'd chase anything that moved.
Hmm, in a book titled Dogs: A Startling New Understanding of Canine Origin, Behavior and Evolution by Raymond and Lorna Coppinger, based on known observations of several feral dogs compared to wolves, they don't seem to necessarily care about who gets the best part from the kill. Also, unlike wolves, the alpha pairs of dogs aren't the sole ones to eat first nor do they establish this rule about who gets what part, everyone in the pack is free to dig in on any dead animal scavenged or hunted so in relations to your lead dog I personally don't think she was trying to gain some "brain power parts" but that's just my opinion. I admit that I do believe that the book is somewhat out-dated though. It may be natural instinct to kill smaller animals that move but it's still horrifying to watch a dog kill another animal nevertheless! :shock:

kris
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by kris » Sat Jan 28, 2012 9:42 pm

Inka hates cats, but loves to lie on his mate Rocky.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

HiTenshi16
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by HiTenshi16 » Sat Jan 28, 2012 10:05 pm

That is adorable :lol:

AngieH
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by AngieH » Sun Jan 29, 2012 12:14 am

"Oh thank you!
I will love him and hug him and squeeze him and call him 'George!"

:lol:
One's horizon shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage.
~Nin

TerriHolt
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by TerriHolt » Sun Jan 29, 2012 12:36 am

AngieH wrote:I will love him and hug him and squeeze him and call him 'George!" :lol:

too cute (altho the cat looks less than impressed) :P

One is Evil. It’s anger, jealousy, greed, resentment, inferiority, lies and ego.

~ Cherokee Proverb

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity... I'm not sure about the former.

~ Albert Einstein

AZDehlin
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by AZDehlin » Sun Jan 29, 2012 5:15 pm

TerriHolt wrote:
AngieH wrote:I will love him and hug him and squeeze him and call him 'George!" :lol:

too cute (altho the cat looks less than impressed) :P

:lol: :lol: Hahaha, is that a finding Nemo quote?

Booma
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Booma » Sun Jan 29, 2012 7:05 pm

Finding nemo is "squishy". That ones from an old cartoon
Image Image

AngieH
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by AngieH » Sun Jan 29, 2012 10:48 pm

It's from John Steinbeck's "Of Mice and Men"

Lenny's best friend George gave him a rabbit which he adored. (and named after George)
Unfortunately, Lenny was a big, lovable mentally challenged oaf who didn't know his own strength and the poor rabbit was "pet to death" (though with only the best of affections and innocent intentions)

Warner Brothers did a shtick with Bugs Bunny as the rabbit being annoyingly "cuddled" by a big oaf quoting Lenny.
~Nin

Booma
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Booma » Sun Jan 29, 2012 11:17 pm

Oh that one. Didn't he promise not to squeeze him? I'm sure I saw it in a cartoon with a big ape....
Image Image

JulieSmith
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by JulieSmith » Sun Jan 29, 2012 11:20 pm

AngieH wrote:It's from John Steinbeck's "Of Mice and Men"

Lenny's best friend George gave him a rabbit which he adored. (and named after George)
Unfortunately, Lenny was a big, lovable mentally challenged oaf who didn't know his own strength and the poor rabbit was "pet to death" (though with only the best of affections and innocent intentions)

Warner Brothers did a shtick with Bugs Bunny as the rabbit being annoyingly "cuddled" by a big oaf quoting Lenny.
Thanks wondered where it came from. I had seen the bugs bunny version, but since so many people knew it thought it must have come from somewhere else.

Booma
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Booma » Sun Jan 29, 2012 11:23 pm

Ah yeh the looney tunes one. Just reread what you wrote. (it's early lol)
Image Image

TerriHolt
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by TerriHolt » Sun Jan 29, 2012 11:29 pm

one of my fave books we read in English at school :D

~ Cherokee Proverb

~ Albert Einstein

AZDehlin
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by AZDehlin » Mon Jan 30, 2012 12:00 am

TerriHolt wrote:

one of my fave books we read in English at school :D
I remember reading that one in middle school... although I thought it was a mouse he squished. I am most likely wrong as it has been about 15 years since I read that book.

Booma
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Booma » Mon Jan 30, 2012 12:04 am

He had a mouse that was already squished in his pocket cuz he liked how it felt. Dnt remember the bunny, other than in looney tunes. He squashed a puppy and a girl too.
Image Image

AngieH
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by AngieH » Mon Jan 30, 2012 12:06 am

AZDehlin wrote:
I remember reading that one in middle school... although I thought it was a mouse he squished. I am most likely wrong as it has been about 15 years since I read that book.

I think you're right about the mouse. The Bugs Bunny thing got me thinking rabbit.
~Nin

skyedream
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by skyedream » Tue Jan 31, 2012 4:05 pm

My akita cross Maya chases deer when she's in the fields, sometimes solo and sometimes with her pack. She's always the last one to come back and can be gone for up to 15mins! I never encourage her but I always ask her where my venison is when she comes back!

AZDehlin
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by AZDehlin » Tue Jan 31, 2012 4:23 pm

AngieH wrote:
AZDehlin wrote:

I think you're right about the mouse. The Bugs Bunny thing got me thinking rabbit.
Ah, maybe my memory isn't that fuzzy after all :D

Tiantai
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Tiantai » Fri Feb 03, 2012 7:39 pm

Well a lot of northern breeds have still managed to obtain the hunting instinct to some extent. A lot of people have reported witnessing their Siberian Huskies killing small animals in their yards and the Malamutes are no different despite being slower on speed. One crazy owner even posted a video of her white Siberian Husky name Miyuki killing a groundhog on youtube :? Most people like myself just don't want to allow our companions to do these things too often or at all because we don't want to get in trouble with neighbours, especially with those who own cats and may freak out at seeing our dog kill a wild animal and have the dog put a bad image on the family. I'm not so sure about the hunting instinct in the Tamaskan breed but according to what the Bannows told me two years ago about Tundra eating mice, I'm so far given the impression that some (not all) Tamaskans may still be carrying the tendency to chase small preys inherited from their Husky ancestors.

As far as I recall, many northern breeds like the Malamute were also once used as hunting dogs as well so it's not surprising that they would chase after small animals. You can almost compare them with the Australian dingoes when it comes to catching hares and many other small animals that we humans are no match against in a race. I always found this hunting instinct a fascinating topic because reading other people's experience with their prey-catching dogs makes me feel less guilty of letting Snoopy kill and devouring a bunch of grey squirrels years ago. Thank goodness he knows how to recognize cats and rabbits as none-prey animals or I'd be in trouble long ago.

Booma
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Booma » Sat Feb 04, 2012 12:05 am

Dingos are wild. Not that many people have them as pets (it's illegal in some states)
Image Image

Tiantai
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Tiantai » Sat Feb 04, 2012 5:13 pm

Kyliedelonge wrote:Dingos are wild. Not that many people have them as pets (it's illegal in some states)
Well the ban on Dingoes as pets is also currently on debate much like the wolfdog situation is in the west. There appears to be a cycle of confusion here because some sources compare Dingos with the northern wolves while others point out that the Carolina dogs and the New Guinea Highland dogs behaves much like the Dingoes. While I do agree that the Dingo is not a suitable house pet, many people have pointed out that the Dingo as well as the New Guinea Highland dogs and the Carolina dog (or American Dingoes now recognized as an uncommon breed of dog despite its feral ancestry) are very alike in temperament, survival abilities, hunting instinct, and intelligence. All three are shy and CAN be aggressive if cornered, and considering that they have huge carnassials allowing them to break the bones of medium size prey. And yet a lot of people raising Carolina dogs are experiencing mostly the same problem as a raising a stubborn northern spitz instead the supposed situation that would rise from a maturing Dingo pup. For the New Guinea Highland dog, I don't think enough official research has been put into this exotic breed either. Despite claims of them sharing similar hostility towards strange animals at adulthood like the mainland Australian Dingoes, the supposed preference for isolation from humans and "aggressive nature" for the New Guinea Highland dogs was also proven wrong by our Tamaskan rescuer in Winsconsis.

http://www.freewebs.com/tamaskanusa/new ... ingdog.htm

Even though the breed is said to be much like the Dingo, there are many being raised in captivity by the Indigenous people of the island and most of them seem to have no problem around strangers.

As far as I'm aware, if the Dingoes are supposed to share much of the same temperament and behaviour as the two smaller versions from US and New Guinea, I think if they were as much smaller as their American Carolina dog counter-parts, they would have been treated a lot differently. I agree that the Dingo is a wild canine and that many are supposed to behave like high-content wolfdogs but I personally think that the ban on dingoes is absurd. Like the problems with wolfdogs, in many cases the ban on semi-exotic animal is based on public ignorances. We all agree that wolfdogs should only be raised by professional people who have years of experiences and that they are not suitable house pets. Dingoes are no different from them. I think the law on owning Dingoes should be amended somehow...

Booma
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Booma » Sat Feb 04, 2012 6:28 pm

I dont. If some states wanna make owning them illegal I'm all for it. Theyre a wild dog, And while they can be trained and make a great pet, why should people be able to? They're wild and should stay that way.
Image Image

TerriHolt
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by TerriHolt » Sat Feb 04, 2012 6:53 pm

Kyliedelonge wrote:I dont. If some states wanna make owning them illegal I'm all for it. Theyre a wild dog, And while they can be trained and make a great pet, why should people be able to? They're wild and should stay that way.
exactly how i see wolf-dogs... it's a poor sight seeing them treat like dogs or walked on a chain :( we started with wolf-dogs with the GSD and look how they got broke :( my girl world have had quite a few years left as the only thing wrong was her legs. there is no need to send any more wild animals to the same fate...

~ Cherokee Proverb

~ Albert Einstein

Tiantai
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Tiantai » Sat Feb 04, 2012 11:25 pm

Then you might as well ban the Carolina Dogs and all of the semi-exotic Pariah breeds with a fairly intelligent brain and a great hunting instinct similar to the Dingoes. In the US a lot of Wolf and Wolfdog rescue groups collect wolfdogs every year until the space is full all because of people unable to meet the animal's special needs and then the ban just makes things worst because it leads to many innocent animals, even those that never caused any problems, to be taken away from their loving families and killed. What we should really be stopping are those nasty breeders who sell these animals to naive buyers. The wolfdogs should not be paying the price for the fault of the puppy miller/ bad owners. Why should people be more important than these semi-exotic animals. As far as their hunting instinct is concerned, many feral breeds like the Carolina dogs are no different from the lower mid-content wolfdogs. Although the Carolina dogs are NOT true dingoes or wolfdogs, they still have many similar behaviours to them like the prey drive, tendency to escape, very sharp fangs and huge bone crushing carnassials, and some share the dingo's shyness towards strangers with the only exception is that the intensity of all of these wild traits are on a slightly lower-level for the Carolinas than in the true dingoes. They're mostly lucky because they look nothing like the real wolves nor have "wolf" in their names. Banning wolfdogs isn't going to stop those bad breeders from breeding their wolfdogs, they're still making their money in the shadows. Although it limits a lot of people from buying those animals (which most of them shouldn't be doing so anyways) in the end many wolfdogs are still ending up killed and some of the victims of these execution shelters are NOT even true wolfdogs but northern spitz type dogs whom were mistakened for the real thing! I think they should NOT lift the ban but revise it such as giving those capable of raising these animals with a proper shelter the licence to own them. In my opinion, the very low-contents shouldn't even be considered wolfdogs for the animal's sake.

Booma
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Booma » Sun Feb 05, 2012 1:08 am

No they should make it that people cannot breed wolfdogs then you wouldn't need all those rescue groups. Wild animals should stay wild and not be crossed with domestic animals.
Image Image

TerriHolt
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by TerriHolt » Sun Feb 05, 2012 6:57 am

it's not just puppy millers, it's people who own wolf-dogs and breeding them should be banned! allow the ones that got selfishly put hear to live out the remainder of their life but ban the breeding. the person on the forum who own's loki and seline (i think, i can't go look) was on about breeding them, are you saying she's a puppy miller? besides the fact there are RPK supporters, thats another reason i can't join joys wolf "look a like" facebook group... there are not just look a likes but HC's and people brag about which wolf dog's they will breed? nah... when i first started looking into wolf-dogs, i wanted one... in the uk, it's more dog than wolf but i saw how beautiful and lonely looking the creature's were who were "used" to make the low to no contents hear and it totally put me off... which led to the discovery of tamaskans, RPK then jenny on facebook who pointed to lynn... which then let me see that there is no need for wolf-dogs when there are so many look-a-likes...

each opinion will differ

now back to hunting instinct... Sam keeps trying to pluck seagulls out the air (that are like 10 ft too high :lol: ). i think it's more play than kill tho... i hope :?

~ Cherokee Proverb

~ Albert Einstein

Saxon
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by Saxon » Sun Feb 05, 2012 11:00 am

Hi terry
if he catches one you will see if he is playing or not, if he takes after mum, frigga has actually plucked a pheasant out of the air and I wont tell you what the outcome was

Rahne

Post by Rahne » Sun Feb 05, 2012 11:33 am

I think I've underestimated the hunting instinct/prey drive of Konah :oops:
I do NOT trust her anymore with any animals since she has tried to slaughter sheep.. I keep her away from all livestock now and in areas with a lot of wildlife she stays on the leash. She doesn't only chase animals but she kills them and it could end up badly, for the animal but also for her!

Booma
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Booma » Sun Feb 05, 2012 11:42 am

Rahne wrote:I think I've underestimated the hunting instinct/prey drive of Konah :oops:
I do NOT trust her anymore with any animals since she has tried to slaughter sheep.. I keep her away from all livestock now and in areas with a lot of wildlife she stays on the leash. She doesn't only chase animals but she kills them and it could end up badly, for the animal but also for her!
What's she like with animals in the house? Like a cat? (If you have one)
Image Image

AngieH
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by AngieH » Sun Feb 05, 2012 2:03 pm

Just had a thought: is there a "follow" instinct or "pack running" instinct in arctic breeds developed for team running and pulling? It seems Paka is almost "programmed" to follow moving feet.

Is that different than a "hunting" instinct or just a refinement of the hunting instinct developed through domestication.

But then, the "herding" instinct is still referred to as a "herding" instinct when it's actually a refinement of the hunting instinct. (stalking, driving and chasing is all there, they just stop short of the "kill")

So is there a difference between a hunting instinct and a pack-running instinct and how do you differentiate them?

(thinking way to much before coffee. :roll: )
~Nin

Tiantai
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Tiantai » Sun Feb 05, 2012 5:52 pm

TerriHolt wrote:it's not just puppy millers, it's people who own wolf-dogs and breeding them should be banned! allow the ones that got selfishly put hear to live out the remainder of their life but ban the breeding. the person on the forum who own's loki and seline (i think, i can't go look) was on about breeding them, are you saying she's a puppy miller? besides the fact there are RPK supporters, thats another reason i can't join joys wolf "look a like" facebook group... there are not just look a likes but HC's and people brag about which wolf dog's they will breed? nah... when i first started looking into wolf-dogs, i wanted one... in the uk, it's more dog than wolf but i saw how beautiful and lonely looking the creature's were who were "used" to make the low to no contents hear and it totally put me off... which led to the discovery of tamaskans, RPK then jenny on facebook who pointed to lynn... which then let me see that there is no need for wolf-dogs when there are so many look-a-likes...

each opinion will differ

now back to hunting instinct... Sam keeps trying to pluck seagulls out the air (that are like 10 ft too high :lol: ). i think it's more play than kill tho... i hope :?
I didn't say anything about supporting those who show off their "wolfdogs" for egos nor that I agree with the captive breeding of high contents, obviously that idea is ridiculous. However, for the ones that already exist I meant to say that should NOT be going to people's house and then just euthanizing these animals. Obviously we should not be letting children around these animals, their high prey drives (depending on the individual) oftens leads them into seeing noisy children as prey. Now I agree with banning the "breeding" of these creatures and castrating all of those remaining ones but my point is for those who can provide a good home and meet the animals' special needs like Charlene Harrison or Sharon Greene whom have been raising these animals for years should not be banned from owning their wolfdogs nor would it be right to just strip these animals from their love ones and kill them. But for the people who like to show off their egos and then later on realize the consequences as the law changes and charges them for owning what's likely not even a wolfdog I have no sympathy for them though I would feel sorry for the dog.

For the hunting instinct though (and not to confuse it with the prey drives), from what I've been told by a few hc owners on the Stop Misrepresentation of Wolfdog group on facebook, though the upper mids and high contents tend to have a tendency to chase after whatever they see as prey, captive wolves would probably make poor hunters should they be released in the wild due to the lack of experiences and because of their lack of fear towards humans they cannot be released, even though they are not likely to go prey on people. As far as I'm aware, feral dogs can also develop a similar hunting instincts like their pure wild wolf counter-parts and depending on where they live or what breed is in those feral mutts can also pose a risk to livestocks and over generations can become dingo-like wild dogs.

Tiantai
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Tiantai » Sun Feb 05, 2012 6:04 pm

AngieH wrote:Just had a thought: is there a "follow" instinct or "pack running" instinct in arctic breeds developed for team running and pulling? It seems Paka is almost "programmed" to follow moving feet.

Is that different than a "hunting" instinct or just a refinement of the hunting instinct developed through domestication.

But then, the "herding" instinct is still referred to as a "herding" instinct when it's actually a refinement of the hunting instinct. (stalking, driving and chasing is all there, they just stop short of the "kill")

So is there a difference between a hunting instinct and a pack-running instinct and how do you differentiate them?

(thinking way to much before coffee. :roll: )
Well if you look at the northern spitz, the instinct to follow their lead dog is still strong especially in the working breeds but the hunting instinct is more of a portion of the pack instinct. Ever seen one dog (doesn't have to be a northern spitz) get scared of a strange animal in the yard and yet would follow a group chasing it down? Of course this should not be confused with killer instinct since most domestic dogs just like to join in on the chase but not kill them so in a way you are correct about the herding instinct part. When I was in middle school there was this one time during lunch hour in which a pack of 6 dogs were in a field chasing after a raccoon :shock: and yet (according to the owner of the lead German Shepherd) the lead dog is supposed to be afraid of those animals whenever they enter her yard. Yet with the other five dogs they seemed confident that they could rid that dangerous animal out of their property (chasing it into my school yard was kind of overdoing it though). I think in a way this is both killer and herding instinct. And all the students including myself freaked :lol: