two Tamaskans of the same sex together

All topics pertaining to the temperament / character of the Tamaskan Dog.
Jen
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

two Tamaskans of the same sex together

Post by Jen » Fri Sep 24, 2010 10:00 am

Hi just a quick question for those that keep two Tamaskans of the same sex together, in particular bitches.

Do they as a breed tend to get on ok in this situation as I know some breeds ( german shepherd being one I have heard of ) can be prone to bad fighting in this situation? Obviously Sasha lives with other bitches now and the has never been any problems but they are different breeds , sizes and temperaments to her which can all make a difference. Would a equally matched bitch be more lightly to cause problems?

If we have a litter from Sash I would like to keep a daughter if poss but after some stories I have heard about Shepherds I thought it may be wise to get some feedback from those with two tam experience!! Thanks :D

JonathanJ
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Re: two Tamaskans of the same sex together

Post by JonathanJ » Fri Sep 24, 2010 10:37 am

Oh man I don't even want to go there...........it's like two mothers in laws in the same kitchen. :D

I have seen that dogs who are related or raised together from little pups, seem to do better that those brought up in different places. Larger breeds can be more domineering but the ankle biter breeds are little better.

Terri and I have been really lucky. I can't think of one pairing ( meaning the rescue dogs )that went bad from the standpoint of the pecking order. I think it has something to do with the environment. We are pretty calm people and so are the kids. Dogs just dig us so they don't fight I guess :)
What's in the doggy bag?

Blustag
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Blustag » Fri Sep 24, 2010 2:45 pm

THey say that a malamute mother gets on well with her daughter and that is the case here. But two female malamute dont generally get along. I have female Tamaskan living happily together but some of them have to be separated. Same with the boys. Some get on and live together and some would kill each other if they got the chance lol...There is nothing written in stone !

blufawn
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by blufawn » Fri Sep 24, 2010 3:43 pm

I think it would be a safe bet if they were mother and daughter.
If you can meet with Triumph and Disaster
And treat those two impostors just the same;
If you can bear to hear the truth you've spoken
Twisted by knaves to make a trap for fools,
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!

Jen
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by Jen » Sat Sep 25, 2010 8:22 pm

Thanks guys! :) A little food for thought! Hopefully all will turn out well :D

Gaby
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Gaby » Sun Sep 26, 2010 6:47 pm

I know people who have Catahoula's from the same sex together. And it all goes well. ;) And the Catahoula is a dominant breed, there are a lot of Catahoula's with agression against dogs of the same sex.
There are also things that you can do as an owner to encourage a peaceful situation. I think it's important to learn/read about hiërarchie in dog packs and apply that to yourself, your family and your dogs. For example, I wouldn't give the dog lower in rank much more attention than the highest ranking dog when they are together and trying to get my attention. And I would accept it if the older dog corrects the younger one, if the corrections are mild and with a good reason.

JessieLove09
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by JessieLove09 » Mon Sep 27, 2010 11:00 pm

I plan on having dogs of other breeds, so just to be sure would it be safe to get a Tamaskan of the opposite sex of that breed? For example, I plan on getting a female Rough Collie puppy, should I get a male Tamaskan?
Jessica-
Molly-GSD
Rainbow Bridge:
Tanner, Max & Simba

JulieSmith
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by JulieSmith » Mon Sep 27, 2010 11:12 pm

I love Rough Collies, was going to get one of those till I spotted Tamaskans, used to have one when I was a teenager such a lovely dog

JessieLove09
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by JessieLove09 » Mon Sep 27, 2010 11:31 pm

JulieSmith wrote:I love Rough Collies, was going to get one of those till I spotted Tamaskans, used to have one when I was a teenager such a lovely dog
I love them! I wouldn't mind the hair(I had 2 Sheltie Mixes, and now GSDs). Rough Collies and Tamaskans are like my dream dogs(Temperament, appearance, and everything else about them).
Jessica-
Molly-GSD
Rainbow Bridge:
Tanner, Max & Simba

JulieSmith
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by JulieSmith » Mon Sep 27, 2010 11:54 pm

JessieLove09 wrote:
JulieSmith wrote:I love Rough Collies, was going to get one of those till I spotted Tamaskans, used to have one when I was a teenager such a lovely dog
I love them! I wouldn't mind the hair(I had 2 Sheltie Mixes, and now GSDs). Rough Collies and Tamaskans are like my dream dogs(Temperament, appearance, and everything else about them).
We had a sheltie before the collie, lovely dog, but a bit neurotic and blind for 4 years, unfortunately she died when she was 8. My parents lasted a few months and got a rough collie she was a wonderful dog she was 14 when we had to have her put down as she could not move with arthritis. There was a lot of fur, but worth it.

RoyAM
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Warning: two Malamutes of the same sex together

Post by RoyAM » Sat May 07, 2011 2:37 pm

Blustag wrote:THey say that a malamute mother gets on well with her daughter and that is the case here. But two female malamute dont generally get along. I have female Tamaskan living happily together but some of them have to be separated. Same with the boys. Some get on and live together and some would kill each other if they got the chance lol...There is nothing written in stone !
As many of you know, especually lynn above we have 3 malamutes, Dakota =18 months, Nebraska 18 months and Cody-Wyoming 12 months

all 3 got on great as you have seen in photographs posted over the year, Nebraska is now 9 days into her 3rd session and Cody has just started her 2nd session. During this last week we have had to seperate 2 fights, and i mean serious fights were neither would back down and neither would back off.

Last night they again set about each other, we thought we had them seperate but Cody jamp a fence to get at Nebraska, they again had a serious set too and Cody had to receive vet treatment, anti biotic injections and is now on a course of anti-biotic tablets. Both dogs have bad puncture wounds to ears, back of neck and legs, Cody has a 2 inch tear on her front left leg which cannot be stiched as you stich in the infection when you stich up a dog bite.

once they were seperated they licked each others wounds but simply at this moment cannot be trusted together.
We hoped this would not happen but sadly it has and time will tell if they re-bond or have to be kept apart.
Dakota on the other hand just sits back and watches the show without batting an eyelid.

blufawn
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by blufawn » Sat May 07, 2011 2:41 pm

ouch, that looks nasty.

HiTenshi16
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by HiTenshi16 » Sat May 07, 2011 2:44 pm

Yikes, I do hope they bond together again, and that their wounds heal up quickly.

RoyAM
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by RoyAM » Sat May 07, 2011 2:50 pm

Typical females :twisted:

delete this post if you wish ;)

Blustag
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Blustag » Sat May 07, 2011 4:18 pm

Sorry to hear this Roy. I very much doubt that they will bond again...you will always be on your guard. I wouldnt put then together unless you are with them and 200% sure of splitting them up should they start up again. Sadly I have to keep one of my Malamute girls away from the others. She is fine with the boys but not the girls. Always best to have someone with you to help as trying to split a fight on your own can be very dangerous and not always successful.

JoshC
Tamtastic (Apprentice)
Tamtastic (Apprentice)

Post by JoshC » Sat May 07, 2011 4:21 pm

Sorry to see that Roy

blufawn
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by blufawn » Sat May 07, 2011 4:49 pm

The worst thing you can do is seperate them, if you do, they will never be able to go back together again, be warned Malamutes know how to hold a grudge.

Blustag
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Blustag » Sat May 07, 2011 5:16 pm

I would def only have them together under STRICT supervision! until at least until you can see where they are going.

RoyAM
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by RoyAM » Sun May 08, 2011 8:13 am

Yes indeed they sure do know how to hold a grudge and cody is straight over to Nebraska with a growl any opportunity she can get.

Guess i was hoping that things could be good but I am now building a seperate run, just incase.
There has been a long saying with malamutes that you can never have 2 females together and i was hoping with the change in breeding from 10 - 15 years back that things would be better, sadly with my two, at this moment it isnt the case. and this is not a 2 minute fight, they will continue, it is not nice, not nice at all.

best thing i do at present is remove the one that starts it, (normally cody) and put her into issolation, they all hate being seperated and this is the punishment at present.

Blustag
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Blustag » Sun May 08, 2011 10:33 am

Im so sorry to hear this Roy and I know exactly what you are going through. You just wish that they would get on but in reality they just wont. Mother and daughter with Malamutes is great. I have Ellie and daughter Devon who just love each other to bits. It just makes life difficult when you have to separate and awkward when out for walks. If there are two of you then not so bad.

RoyAM
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Kiss and make-up

Post by RoyAM » Wed May 11, 2011 3:16 pm

the last 3 nights have been pretty good, both have been going up and sitting next to each other in livingroom at night, they will spend over an hour licking each others wounds.

They have been together though out the days as ive been home, so far so good

Cody is the initial instigator but Nebraska although smaller will stand her ground, both have been making the attempt to kiss and make up

time will tell.

Blustag
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Blustag » Wed May 11, 2011 5:47 pm

I do wish you luck Roy but just keep your eyes on them at ALL times as it only takes a second for a fight to start and you may not be so lucky next time ;)

RoyAM
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Division Wall

Post by RoyAM » Mon Jun 20, 2011 9:00 am

well 5 weeks have gone bye and i thought an update of how they are all keeping is due.

Although Nebraska has the best temerament I have seen in a malamute so far within my dealings of malamutes, and im not saying this because she is my dog, she does have a very soft gentle nature im afraid our two females are indeed keeping up with the Malamute name and reputation.

Taking off from where I last reported above, they have had two further fights and both occasions exactly the same where Cody kicks it off and Nebraska although backing off each time, she does have her limit and then puts an end to it.

Due to this; we have now made a division wall within the run and Dakota (the lucky boy) or not so lucky spends one day with Nebraska with Cody in isolation and then a full swap following day with nebraska in isolation whilst sara is at work and I am offshore.

Cody and Nebraska went 2 full weeks without even a sniff of each other as we could not afford any flare up whilst I was away at work.

Now that Nebraska's season has ended and I am back home we tried them back together under carefull eye. This has went well and they have now went a further 2 full weeks with all 3 together and no attmpt by either bitch for a kick off.

We have found that not just with fighting but any bad behavour, issolation is a good punishment, our 3 hate being alone and if any one of them misbehave, the culprit goes through the isolation process for as long as it takes which ranges from an hour to a whole night depending.

anyway things are genuinly good at this moment and if this is just a matter that arrises when one is in season then fingers crossed. Failing that we are prepaired for any outcome.
Our run now has a further fence that issolates one dog from another if required and works very well.

TerriHolt
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by TerriHolt » Mon Jun 20, 2011 11:51 am

that dog run looks amazing... :D issolation is a good punishment, agreed... it works with dogs, cats and kids :mrgreen:

pleased for you that it just looks like a season thing... better than it just because they don't get on. it means you can plan issolation to time it right so no one gets hurt...

There’s a battle between two wolves inside us all.
One is Evil. It’s anger, jealousy, greed, resentment, inferiority, lies and ego.
The other is Good. It’s joy, peace, love, hope, humility, kindness and truth.

The wolf that wins? The one you feed!

~ Cherokee Proverb

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity... I'm not sure about the former.

~ Albert Einstein

wolfwannabe
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by wolfwannabe » Mon Jun 20, 2011 1:42 pm

I love the dog run :) it looks really good :)
Mel.

Zeus 10.02.2007 - 24.07.2012 Rest in peace my boy, you'll always be missed.

RoyAM
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by RoyAM » Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:23 am

wolfwannabe wrote:I love the dog run :) it looks really good :)

What; you didnt mention my lovely malamute lawn, took them days to convert it from a lovely lawn to a war zone lol :lol:

my poor lawn

JulieSmith
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by JulieSmith » Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:34 am

RoyAM wrote:

What; you didnt mention my lovely malamute lawn, took them days to convert it from a lovely lawn to a war zone lol :lol:

my poor lawn
:lol: lovely lawn or lovely dogs? I never was keen on gardening :twisted:

wolfwannabe
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by wolfwannabe » Tue Jun 21, 2011 5:24 pm

RoyAM wrote:

my poor lawn
:lol: I just presumed all lawns look like that when you have these types of dogs :lol: at least you've still got some green left :lol:
Mel.

Zeus 10.02.2007 - 24.07.2012 Rest in peace my boy, you'll always be missed.

michifloo
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by michifloo » Thu Jun 23, 2011 12:28 am

Generally speaking, unaltered female dogs, esp northern breeds, will get pretty snarky with each other esp when they start coming of age and around heat cycles (they don't call them "bitches" for nothing ;) ) In my own situation, I have a 3 y/o female who is altered and a 1.5 t/o female who is not. They are the best of friends, with no conflict... ALTHOUGH, I have to say that the older female is so layed back and easy going, she sees problems before they start ;)

I do believe that there would be more conflict with same sex unaltered dogs... BUT it does depend on the dogs' personalities.

Roy, so sorry to hear about your situation! In that case, you will have to be on top of all interaction between the two girls for a while, and intervene immediately before things get out of hand... like if you see subtle posturing.... distract, separate and isolate for a couple of minutes until the tension goes away. Once something like that happens, it can lead to more fighting, but if you are careful, you can make certain that a generalized aggression does not evolve.
"I like my dogs more than most people"

RoyAM
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by RoyAM » Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:53 am

michifloo wrote: Roy, so sorry to hear about your situation! In that case, you will have to be on top of all interaction between the two girls for a while, and intervene immediately before things get out of hand... like if you see subtle posturing.... distract, separate and isolate for a couple of minutes until the tension goes away. Once something like that happens, it can lead to more fighting, but if you are careful, you can make certain that a generalized aggression does not evolve.
The two girls are doing good right now and can easily pass through doorways and other openings together at same time without any aggression or kicking off, this is a thing i have found difficult with malamutes through the years even with male/female never mind 2 females together.
Remember this is a long going Malamute problem and has been in the history of malamutes for generations. The good breeding of Malamutes over the past 10 / 15 years is slowly reducing this concern but it is (sadly) in their blood lines.
This is also not an ongoing issue that I have with my 2 bitches, things have settled very well at this moment, but im hoping to make forum members aware that there are; and always have been issues with two malamute bitches living together.
Another issue I have often witnessed is when 2 malamutes pass through a narrow enterance or doorway together, there is a possability they will kick off at each other whether m/f; m/m; f/f doesnt really matter the combination but i have often seen this occur through the years. At the same time the same two malamutes will happily sit side by side in the back of a car together where room is much more combined.

Hopefully Tamaskans have all the good bits of the breeds and all the bad bits have been left out.