Tamaskan Guard Dog?

All topics pertaining to the temperament / character of the Tamaskan Dog.
HiTenshi16
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Tamaskan Guard Dog?

Post by HiTenshi16 » Wed Jul 21, 2010 10:46 pm

I know Tamaskans would rather lick an intruder to death (and Ulric usually does anyone) but I was just curious if anyone other Tamaskans show any bit of protectiveness. Ulric has shown it on three occasions, first time I believe he was about 4 or 5 months old, my husband and I were in the front yard with Rukia and Ulric when the mailman drove up to put mail in the box and Ulric just started to let out a deeper bark than normal. The second time was a few weeks ago when my husband had taken Rukia out in middle of the night, Ulric was still sleeping in the bedroom with me and when he heard my husband come back in, Ulric heard him and gave out two deep barks and ran out of the room only to stop once he saw that it was just my husband and Rukia. The third time was today, my brother had text messaged me that when the guy came by to hook up our new Internet service, Ulric started barking at him protectively, my husband had to put him in the crate. Normally he just loves on everyone.

Sylvaen
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Re: Tamaskan Guard Dog?

Post by Sylvaen » Thu Jul 22, 2010 12:47 am

Well... Jasper has shown protectiveness towards me on two occasions.

The first case was at the age of only 6 months old! At the time we were still living in Holland and he was already quite big / rather intimidating (not just an "awwww cute puppy" any more). Anyway, it was a warm day in late spring (late May / early June) so I went to the nudist beach and brought Jasper along with me. The beach allows dogs (since it is at the far end, away from the crowded family beach area) and, since you always get creeps at nudist beaches, I figured it would be a good idea to have Jasper there to ward off the weirdos. Anyway, I had Jasper on a long leash, tethered to a deep stake in the sand, and was reading a book / developing my tan (which really doesn't take long, as witnessed by those who attended the recent Euro Tamaskan Meeting - LOL) when... low and behold... up comes a perv. You can spot them from a mile away, because they are usually younger men (late 20s / early 30s) and, unlike everyone else on the beach there, they are fully clothed. This one was wearing gangster / hip-hop style clothing and had gelled hair. Yuck. Anyway, I would have spotted him sooner, except I was busy reading and also listening to music on my iPod. Anyway, the next thing I know, this guy is standing next to where I am laying... and he starts talking to me! Jasper didn't pay too much attention at first, but he could sense I was agitated. You simply don't act that way on a nudist beach, especially when you are fully dressed and the person you have approached is sunbathing totally naked... clearly I did not want to be bothered. It's just creepy. I basically told him to go away (not so politely) but instead he sits down and starts asking questions: "whatcha reading?" "where ya from?" etc... and that's when I noticed he was holding a mobile phone... and was discretely taking PHOTOS with it! This is totally against the beach rules. Needless to say, I was PISSED... but also feeling a bit uncomfortable / intimidated... trying to figure how to get myself out of this situation and to get him to leave me alone ASAP. The fact I'd chosen a discrete location on the beach, away from other people, was a factor that was not in my favor. That's when Jasper stepped in. TBH, I'd almost forgotten about him... but he was great! Hackles were up and he let out a really menacing "woooo woooo woooo" as he made a half lunge towards the creep. The leash stopped him from getting too close, but clearly the guy was caught off guard. So, I took Jasper's cue and said that if he didn't leave RIGHT NOW, I would unleash my dog and that he WOULD attack and BITE him... then I counted down... 3.... 2... and the guy scrambled off. Of course, I didn't stick around too much longer after that, just packed up my stuff and went to report him at the beach cafe so they could keep an eye out for him if he returned. I'm just so glad I had Jasper with me, even though he was young at the time, as it could have developed into a bad situation. Now it's just a funny story. :lol:

The other incident occurred when he was 9 months old, after we'd moved to Croatia. I was hitchhiking across Europe (from Zagreb to Den Haag in 36 hours)... of course, I brought Jasper along with me for protection. I figured a 24 year old girl hitchhiking alone would never survive the 1400km journey... you always hear horror stories about disappearances, kidnappings, ransom, rape, murder, slave trade, etc. so I figured the presence of a huge wolf-looking dog would keep me safe from harm. And it did. Plus, he was good company too... even though he had to put up with getting in and out of different cars (we got a total of 8 rides along the way). Anyway, I have so much to write about those experiences and how he probably saved my life on more than one occasion so I won't go into full details here... but it'll all be in my upcoming book. ;)

Anyway, to get back on topic, Jasper does show some protective instinct but only when he senses that it is absolutely necessary (I suppose he picks up the signals from my body language) so I have no regrets about any of those situations. I still wouldn't consider the Tamaskan to be a guard dog... but, rather, just like any dog: a loyal and protective companion by nature. :)
The future lies before you, like a path of pure white snow...
Be careful how you tread it, for every step will show.

HiTenshi16
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by HiTenshi16 » Thu Jul 22, 2010 3:30 am

I guess maybe guard dog was the wrong word for the title of this thread :lol: (I was writing this during my lunch hour at work) though I'm glad to hear how Jasper has been there for you. Some people are just scum :evil:

Sylvaen
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Sylvaen » Thu Jul 22, 2010 3:05 pm

hehehe I think it's good that they have some protective instinct. I'm sure if some strange person came into our house late at night while we were sleeping, the dogs would definitely have something to say about it. Luckily they don't have the guard dog instinct to bark at every little noise - and are generally very quiet overall (they are talkative and communicative but not yappy or annoying). However, this means that they wouldn't be a good deterrent since most guard dogs bark before the intruders get anywhere near the property... and Tamaskans would probably only stir up a fuss once the intruder was ON the property. I think that's the key difference.
The future lies before you, like a path of pure white snow...
Be careful how you tread it, for every step will show.

Misaya
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Misaya » Thu Jul 22, 2010 4:04 pm

Ayasca barks if anyone is at the door or at our back gate. He also goes mad when the window cleaners are cleaning our windows. He may or may not bark at the postman, I dont know why, altho its not always the same person, so this may have something to do with it. Mischa barks most when we are coming in, but it is usually right in Ayasca's ear, as she wants him to clear off so she can have all the attention :lol:

I dont know what they would do if someone actually broke in, Mischa would be petrified and run away I expect, but not sure about Ayasca. Hopefully wont ever need to find out :)

Debby, hurry up and get your book written. I am looking forward to reading about your adventures. They sound pretty hair-raising. Years ago, we used to hitch a lot. Wouldnt fancy it now. I'm quite surprised people will pick you up with a dog though.
- Fiona -

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. - Ambrose Bierce