Flyball and licking/kissing?

All topics pertaining to the temperament / character of the Tamaskan Dog.
Whiltierna
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Flyball and licking/kissing?

Post by Whiltierna » Sat Apr 06, 2013 2:03 pm

I found about three years ago a competition relay for dogs that looks so much fun for the dogs and owners!!
Flyball:

It's for all size and breed dogs, and they look like they have so much fun! With the Tamaskan's long legs, social ability, and training ability, I wonder if this would be a way to burn their energy?

Also, do Tamaskans lick a lot? Kiss here kiss there I'm sure, but licking everything from the floor, etc.

With such long legs and loyalty, do they jump to get attention?

HiTenshi16
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Re: Flyball and licking/kissing?

Post by HiTenshi16 » Sat Apr 06, 2013 2:17 pm

Flyball definitely looks fun and a good way to burn energy.

Regarding licking, it will vary on the individual. When I met Tarheel's Sequoia, she was nothing but kisses! My Zelda will try to jump on people to give them kisses whenever she meets someone new, unless at the dog park, then her attention goes to playing with the other dogs. My boy Ulric is not much of a kisser, only gives licks when he is content and calm.

Rahne

Post by Rahne » Sat Apr 06, 2013 4:10 pm

I have done Flyball with my Staffy:

It is a very fun sport for dogs that LOVE balls lol. My Tamaskan are not really interested in balls, nor retrieving, so I don't think Flyball will be interesting for them. Also I personally like Agility more because you really have to work together with your dog, if you make a mistake then your dog will most likely too. But Tamaskan would certainly be suitable for Flyball and Agility, and most other sports.

My Tamaskan don't lick a lot, my girl Konah is a bit more of a kisser then my boy Winter.

Katlin
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Katlin » Sat Apr 06, 2013 4:33 pm

Wylie is a huge licker, he'll lick the air if he can't get to me >_< As for flyball, Wylie doesn't seem all that interested in fetching. He'll chase the ball but will only bring it back part way if he bothers to bring it back at all. Very easily bored and distracted. I'm going to try agility with my boy but I think he may even be good for herding...we'll see.
Polarose Tamaskan
Polardog Outfitters
Owner of Sierra Kaweah RN RI TDI TRN TTDN CRN-MCL @ Polarose

Eventide
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by Eventide » Sat Apr 06, 2013 6:16 pm

Yep, same here with Max. :? Will chase a stick or toy and bring it back and tease me with it, msking me chase him to get it, but soon loses interest in that game as well. As for kisses he's very selective (usually only people and other animals he knows well, ie, family members and pets), and then only just a whisper of a lick. One thing I have noticed, he does lick himself alot, mostly his legs and paws.

Maayke
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by Maayke » Sat Apr 06, 2013 7:02 pm

Haha I don't know whether our Tamaskan would be good at flyball. He does not fetch but instead throws the ball for himself. I like this behaviour as I don't have to throw the ball for him and he really enjoys it! This is how he played with his ball on the first day we got him (sorry for the bad quality!):

He can now retrieve some items and throw his toys at us on command, but he would rather play with his toys by himself. ;)

Ryphen
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by Ryphen » Sun Apr 07, 2013 1:53 am

Kumho can fetch pretty well, but it seems he has to be in the mood to do it. Sometimes he'll bring back whatever you throw so you can throw it again, and other times he either chases it and doesn't bring it back, or brings it just close enough but won't let you have it and wants to play keep away. He will throw things for himself and it's funny watching him when he does it in the house with things that slide around on the hardwood floors.

As far as licking goes, if your face and his face are at the same level, your face is getting licked. Whenever he meets someone, he wants to lick their face. If he gets excited enough, he'll try jumping to reach the person's face. This can usually be prevented by giving him something to put in his mouth during greetings. Otherwise the only things that get licked are things that are edible.

TerriHolt
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by TerriHolt » Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:43 am

Ryphen wrote:Kumho can fetch pretty well, but it seems he has to be in the mood to do it. Sometimes he'll bring back whatever you throw so you can throw it again, and other times he either chases it and doesn't bring it back, or brings it just close enough but won't let you have it and wants to play keep away. He will throw things for himself and it's funny watching him when he does it in the house with things that slide around on the hardwood floors.

As far as licking goes, if your face and his face are at the same level, your face is getting licked. Whenever he meets someone, he wants to lick their face. If he gets excited enough, he'll try jumping to reach the person's face. This can usually be prevented by giving him something to put in his mouth during greetings. Otherwise the only things that get licked are things that are edible.
That sounds like you have just described Sam :lol:

If he is in the mood he will fetch and "leave it", other times he will fetch and torment me with it by putting it close to me and taking it away when i try to get it and if he's not it the mood he will lay on it... He likes to throw his toys and catch them (forcing me to get contents insurance for my tv).

He is also the same with licking when people he knows comes in, he can usually be stopped by giving him a piggy foot just as the person comes in. Then we just get muffled woo ooo's while he wags his whole body round the person :lol:

Flyball might be good if i can get him interested in fetch outside the house... As far as he is concerned, there are better things to be doing :roll: :lol:

There’s a battle between two wolves inside us all.
One is Evil. It’s anger, jealousy, greed, resentment, inferiority, lies and ego.
The other is Good. It’s joy, peace, love, hope, humility, kindness and truth.

The wolf that wins? The one you feed!

~ Cherokee Proverb

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity... I'm not sure about the former.

~ Albert Einstein