Rough play

All topics pertaining to the temperament / character of the Tamaskan Dog.
lasgal
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Rough play

Post by lasgal » Tue Mar 05, 2013 4:04 pm

Tallulah is now six months. She has her usual bouts of craziness but we have noticed she is playing much rougher than usual. She'll jump on us, swat with her paws, bite, bark and seems to think our eight year old is a giant toy. Sometimes we are able to redirect her but there are times we have to put her in her kennel to chill because she is so out of control. Has anyone else dealt with this?
I'm wondering if she could be challenging her place in the pack or if this is prepubescent behavior. She is sweet and a big cuddle bug. Training is going well. Even when our son is doing his mini sessions with her she is compliant. It's like she is trying to be the alpha but if we hold her leash (she wears it in the house incase we need to catch her cause she's so fast) down she will lay down, make eye contact then look away and stay until she is given the ok.
Someone please tell me this is a phase.

HiTenshi16
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Re: Rough play

Post by HiTenshi16 » Tue Mar 05, 2013 4:17 pm

Are you able to take her out to play with other dogs? Zelda will play rough with our other two and will only do so with me if I join in. She is still mouthy too.
Maybe it could be now that they are 6 months old, she is starting her 'reble teenager' stage?

Sylvaen
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Sylvaen » Tue Mar 05, 2013 4:30 pm

Zora is 14 months old and she also plays rough... I'm hoping she'll grow out of it though in due time.
The future lies before you, like a path of pure white snow...
Be careful how you tread it, for every step will show.

Tarheel
Tamtastic (Apprentice)
Tamtastic (Apprentice)

Post by Tarheel » Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:27 pm

Have you tried replacing the aggressive play with obedience training or other non-aggressive play? What I am trying to allude to is, when she starts to get rough, grab some treats and work on basic obedience work such as sit, heal, down and other types of mental stimulation. This will more than likely divert her attention from the rough play into some other form of positive attention for her.
John Bannow
Tarheel Tamaskan
Committee of Breeders

Tiantai
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Tiantai » Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:27 pm

Sounds like your little lady is trying to challenge her limits which is a common phase for many teenage dogs.

lasgal
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by lasgal » Wed Mar 06, 2013 1:37 pm

Tarheel wrote:Have you tried replacing the aggressive play with obedience training or other non-aggressive play? What I am trying to allude to is, when she starts to get rough, grab some treats and work on basic obedience work such as sit, heal, down and other types of mental stimulation. This will more than likely divert her attention from the rough play into some other form of positive attention for her.
That's a good idea! She loves training, as soon as my little treat bag comes out she sits. When she is rough I try to distract her with fetch or find the toy, but once she gets the toy she comes at you like a freight train. Walking away and ignoring does not help, she will jump on your back or bite your butt to remind you she is there. That is why we started putting her in the kennel and tell her chill. I'll try training next time the behavior starts.
HiTenshi16 wrote:Are you able to take her out to play with other dogs? Zelda will play rough with our other two and will only do so with me if I join in. She is still mouthy too.
Maybe it could be now that they are 6 months old, she is starting her 'reble teenager' stage?
We don't have a dog park to take her to and they don't get play time at obedience school. I take her on walks and run her in the yard or Scott will take her out in the woods to run. Plus we do her obedience training and I got her some of those toys where they have to get the snack or toy out of something so I know she is getting physical and mental exercise.

I do believe she is entering her teenage years!