Back yards

All topics pertaining to the temperament / character of the Tamaskan Dog.
Sibe
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Back yards

Post by Sibe » Thu Feb 23, 2012 8:57 am

From pictures I've seen online Tamaskans are generally bigger than Siberians and less bulky than Malamutes; the back yard fense for my 2 sibes is 6 foot -untipped (i got lucky and both of my dogs aren't escape artist) though my boy Tequilla can jump 6 feet to pluck a low flying birds out of the air (very prey driven) and is an experienced tree climber. Do Tamaskans need a taller fence?

Booma
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Re: Back yards

Post by Booma » Thu Feb 23, 2012 9:04 am

I think it depends on individual dogs and whether they like to escape or not. I think most people actually keep their tam indoors most of the time.
Image Image

Sibe
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by Sibe » Thu Feb 23, 2012 10:18 am

Oh i dont keep my dogs outside but my girl Stella likes to be where ever i am and the boy Tequilla is usually out the back chasing birds or also with me if he's a bit sooky. The back doors usually open except at night. My dogs are crate trained but we do on a regular basis let them sleep with us ....on a waterbed of all things. They are very much a part of our family and are spoilt rotten......whats the point in having them otherwise...IMO......i practice NILF (Nothing in Life is Free) I dont want to give you the wrong idea though.

Unlike other breeds, I wouldnt dream of letting my dogs off lead in public, its just irrisponsible with Husky's IMO.There are exceptions but mine are too much of a flight risk. I try to walk them frequently but here in Australia in summer it sometimes doesnt cool down that far at night even, so the backyard does get some use. Sibes and I asume most spitz breeds have that double coat and hollow strands of hair and therefore can cope with heat better than a lot of other breeds but we do have some extreme whether over here somedays and the A/conditioned inside or excursions out to the back yard are the better "judgement call."

Nahani
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by Nahani » Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:57 am

Hi Sibe,

I've got two Tam girls, one a large one, and they are kept in the home overnight but during the day are left in an area of garden sectioned off from our chickens and the rest of our plants, plant pots, veggies, trees etc by a 4 ft picket fence and the rest of the garden is surrounded by a 6ft fence, they are 4yrs and 2 yrs old and we haven't had a problem with them. They stand up at the 4ft fence sometimes to watch the chickens but that's it.

Out walking they are quite prey driven depending on where we are, forest, beach, fields, but we could walk Tala the older girl, off the lead most of the time, Sapph the younger one is a lot more boisterous so we wouldn't walk her without a lead until we are in open ground, on a footpath or just away from the roads, and they are both good for recalling.

Htope that helps, :)

Sibe
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by Sibe » Thu Feb 23, 2012 12:57 pm

Cool
Thanks for the replies everybody, very useful info

JulieSmith
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by JulieSmith » Thu Feb 23, 2012 2:14 pm

My girl Saga is just over 13 months and she is always off lead if it is safe to do so, not near roads or farm animals. Her recall is improving and for her age generally good. We have a 4 foot fence which she can look over, but so far has not gone over. She does have a high prey drive and loves to catch and eat mice on our walks, she can go a bit deaf when hunting :roll:

Nino
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Nino » Thu Feb 23, 2012 3:32 pm

Sølve jumped a 4 foot fence when she was 6 months and just under 60 cm.
Several times..
I wouldn't let her loose without watching her in anything lower than a 6 foot fence I think..
>> Nino <<

AZDehlin
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by AZDehlin » Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:26 pm

Nino wrote:Sølve jumped a 4 foot fence when she was 6 months and just under 60 cm.
Several times..
I wouldn't let her loose without watching her in anything lower than a 6 foot fence I think..

My Zephyr has also jumped a 4 foot fence around 7 months (he wanted to get over the fence to play with my dad's neighbors dog.) My Zephyr can also climb chain link fences. His recall is good when I take him camping but I don't dare take him off lead in town where there are roads and dogs as he just wants to play and could be hit.

Sylvaen
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Sylvaen » Sat Feb 25, 2012 12:19 am

my backyard fence is about 5' foot tall and Jasper & Vixen have never tried to escape (jump over or crawl under) - when I leave them home alone I lock them in the house ;)
The future lies before you, like a path of pure white snow...
Be careful how you tread it, for every step will show.

TerriHolt
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by TerriHolt » Sat Feb 25, 2012 12:37 am

sam has never tried either but i don't leave him out alone (way too many dogs and cats have gone missing from gardens lately) so i'm not sure if he would or not then....

There’s a battle between two wolves inside us all.
One is Evil. It’s anger, jealousy, greed, resentment, inferiority, lies and ego.
The other is Good. It’s joy, peace, love, hope, humility, kindness and truth.

The wolf that wins? The one you feed!

~ Cherokee Proverb

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity... I'm not sure about the former.

~ Albert Einstein

Blustag
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Blustag » Sat Mar 24, 2012 12:59 am

The smallest male I have here and lightest in weight is the most agile and will climb and scale the highest fence and squeeze
through the smallest gap. He has been known to climb up a wolf enclosure that has a lean in.....climb the lean in... and run
across the top and leap off.... 10 foot from the ground. I found him running around outside and trying to get back in. I couldnt
believe he did that until some days later I saw it for myself :lol: If you are wondering what he was doing in a wolf enclosure
it was empty and when we lived in Finland :lol: I raised the fence another 2 foot and he kept doing it so in the end we had to
tie him up or risk losing him to the wolves on the other side of the fence