Dominance?

All topics pertaining to the temperament / character of the Tamaskan Dog.
Wave2Tuffy
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Dominance?

Post by Wave2Tuffy » Mon May 31, 2010 2:26 am

Wave does not like another dog to "hump" him. He will follow that with the "ram" motions, if you know what I mean. Both dogs jumping up head to head?

Wave is "humped" by my 2 females all the time. :lol: He has been very tolerant with them but lets us know he does not like it. When my Norwegian humps him (normally his head) he will fight with her but not stand up. When he does stand up the fight is over because he is at least 2x her size.....which typically makes my Norwegian go BATTY CRAZY on him.

Is this something I need to be concerned with? He is such a submissive boy, I am worried when the tide changes? Is there something I should do now? He is so much BIGGER than both of them. The only time he fights is with my Norwegian (female) and it is always 100% her attacking him. I know he could hurt her if he wanted to but he keeps it at a self-defense only.

Any input is greatly appreciated!

Blustag
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Re: Dominance?

Post by Blustag » Mon May 31, 2010 7:33 am

The humping is usually a show of dominance so will have to be carefully watched and controlled when you can, so that things dont get any worse. I would try to gently teach the ones doing it to stand down and give your boy a break.

Sylvaen
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Re: Dominance?

Post by Sylvaen » Mon May 31, 2010 5:50 pm

Also, most males tend to tolerate the actions of a dominant female as a matter of instinct... it's dominant males that tend to get into fights with one another (or 2 females). I wouldn't worry too much though, I don't think Wave will ever exact revenge for the head-humping by the smaller (but more dominant) females. ;)
The future lies before you, like a path of pure white snow...
Be careful how you tread it, for every step will show.