How friendly is friendly

All topics pertaining to the temperament / character of the Tamaskan Dog.
SarahG
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

How friendly is friendly

Post by SarahG » Tue Nov 01, 2011 8:54 pm

Hello!

So, I've read this section pretty extensively because, well let's face it, I am interested beyond interested in getting one of these dogs someday.

I own a Sibe (as well as a toller and a pointer mix, with possibly sighthound or other type of pointer, but he's small) and I got her from a rescue when we lost our Shiloh shepherd. Now, I loved my Shiloh, but he was aggressive. He bit 4 people (never broke skin thank GOD) and lunged/barked at almost every stranger we met. This was despite extensive socialization. The behavior cropped up at about 10 months.

What I miss about my Shiloh is his intelligence and ease of training and loyalty. But I do NOT want to relive the nightmare of owning an aggressive dog ever EVER again.

Now, my Sibe is super friendly. She loves kids, men, women, everyone. Not that super with new dogs, but not aggressive with them by any means.

So, this brought me to finding the Tamaskan breed. I hear they are very friendly and also loyal and intelligent. I have read the other threads on this breed here as well and they seem to support this topic. But I also know I'm in a group of people here who have different experiences with dogs, and want to ask what you mean by the definition "friendly", because let's face it, "friendly" to a golden retriever owner, and a GSD owner are going to be two very different apples.

In general, how do you feel that "friendly" is described in this breed? Do they go through a "tough" teenage phase where they seem to lose some of their friendly nature? And would you say different lines are friendlier than others?

TIA!

Sarah

AZDehlin
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Re: How friendly is friendly

Post by AZDehlin » Tue Nov 01, 2011 9:11 pm

My Zephyr is only 15 and a half weeks old so I can't answer the teenage stage question As for Zephyr he loves to great everyone and wants to snuggle and get belly rubs from everyone. He is very well mannered and has been a breeze to train, as he is very smart and has a food drive like no other dog I have met.

Welcome to the Forum!

TerriHolt
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by TerriHolt » Tue Nov 01, 2011 10:54 pm

sam is 10 month and he loves everybody (i just need to stop him licking people :oops: ) esp my kids. his food drive is high which makes training easy because he will do anything for his "sweeties". he is stuborn quite a bit but he is in no way agrssive. he does jump on other dogs to play but i've had problems socializing because of the small minded people who have turned their dogs into walking, fury droids who don't know how to play like dogs so i've not been aboe to teach him manners with doggie friends (i wanted to go to puppy classes but he has a huge fear of the car)...

There’s a battle between two wolves inside us all.
One is Evil. It’s anger, jealousy, greed, resentment, inferiority, lies and ego.
The other is Good. It’s joy, peace, love, hope, humility, kindness and truth.

The wolf that wins? The one you feed!

~ Cherokee Proverb

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity... I'm not sure about the former.

~ Albert Einstein

Gaby
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Gaby » Tue Nov 01, 2011 11:06 pm

A bit off topic, but that's unusual behaviour for a Shiloh! Do you know where it came from? Where one of his parents the same way? I can understand you don't want an aggressive dog ever again.

SarahG
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by SarahG » Wed Nov 02, 2011 3:42 pm

Thanks for responding.

AZDehlin, I live in Michigan too! But, alas, not the gorgeous UP.

TerriHolt, that is exactly the kind of information I'm looking for. Thank you! Your Sam sounds wonderful.

Gaby, well, long story short, I didn't meet my boy's parents but spoke extensively with the stud dog owner, and met all the other dogs at the kennel. Most of them were very friendly and sweet and just wanted loving. One male was a bit nasty when the owner left, he was in a run, but snapped at me and lunged at the gate for just looking at him. I found out later he was my boy's grandpa. Much later.

Anyway, I guess my dog's mother was aggressive, and one of my boy's brothers was put down due to aggression, another was able to get behavioral help, but was also aggressive, I know nothing of the other pups. First of all, I don't know these other dogs, this is just info from contacts through the stud owner. Second, I don't know if the the euthanized dog could have been helped, but if he was like my boy, he could have been. Thirdly, I don't hear of this a lot with Shilohs and am, in no way, slamming the breed as a whole, this was one case I know of. Fourthly, I don't put much stock in the info from the dam's owner, she seemed to have her own personal vendetta in trying to contact me and I never spoke with her. As far as I know, she still breeds that dog.

So, perhaps I should have stayed away from naming breeds in my post, I was only offering an example of what I like and dealt with. I will say research breeders carefully in any breed you choose! And lots of GSDs have aggression issues in the states (LOTS) so that could have been leftover in this particular breeding of Shilohs. (I love GSDs too and am not talking bad about the well-bred dogs) Typically shilohs are sweet and super, super smart, albeit protective.

I hope I'm not digging my own grave here talking about other breeds...I'm only trying to give a perspective in language I think we dog people understand. :)

off topic: I'm kind of forum dumb and not sure how to upload a photo for my username...anyone want to help when you're done laughing? :)

AZDehlin
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by AZDehlin » Wed Nov 02, 2011 3:47 pm

Sarah, where down state do you live? I travel that a way from time to time... and may be sometime around the holidays if you wanna meet a tamaskan in the flesh :)

SarahG
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by SarahG » Wed Nov 02, 2011 5:23 pm

Oh I SO do! I'm in the Ann Arbor area, but I wouldn't mind traveling to meet one! :)

EskyTheHusky
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by EskyTheHusky » Wed Nov 02, 2011 8:28 pm

I know you weren't looking for sympathy when you posted this, but I'm sorry to hear about your Shiloh :(
Sounds like you are a great owner and did the right things by him, it's sad when these things don't work out.
Aeukanmanuva Wintermoon AKA Esky the Husky

TerriHolt
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by TerriHolt » Wed Nov 02, 2011 9:30 pm

i don't think naming breeds hurts in anyway because all dogs are different and it depends on if the linage was temperment tested and good. not saying they were bad breeders but some dogs will not show signs of agression with the owners about but it will obv get passed down... i think =)

avi pics need to be 175 x 175 pix, file size: 73.24 KiB. (or something like that) then you can upload in User Control Panel - Profile - Edit avatar

One is Evil. It’s anger, jealousy, greed, resentment, inferiority, lies and ego.

~ Cherokee Proverb

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity... I'm not sure about the former.

~ Albert Einstein

SarahG
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by SarahG » Thu Nov 03, 2011 2:31 am

Thanks EskytheHusky. I really appreciate that. :)

And thanks Terri, I agree...I just wanted to make sure my post wasn't accidentally stating Shilohs were aggressive. Sometimes I post without re-reading. :oops: :mrgreen:

TerriHolt
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by TerriHolt » Thu Nov 03, 2011 3:04 am

SarahG wrote:Thanks EskytheHusky. I really appreciate that. :)

And thanks Terri, I agree...I just wanted to make sure my post wasn't accidentally stating Shilohs were aggressive. Sometimes I post without re-reading. :oops: :mrgreen:
yer, i do that a LOT. it's :oops: when things get taken the wrong way and you dig a bigger hole while trying to explain :lol:

~ Cherokee Proverb

~ Albert Einstein

SarahG
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by SarahG » Thu Nov 03, 2011 3:13 pm

TerriHolt wrote:

yer, i do that a LOT. it's :oops: when things get taken the wrong way and you dig a bigger hole while trying to explain :lol:

Exactly. :)

Nino
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Nino » Thu Nov 03, 2011 3:39 pm

Well Sølve is friendly with family and friends, other dogs and children (until a certain size which I haven't determined yet) strange or not.. She will say hello and sometimes come to demand some cuddles or something like that but mostly only when she feels like it, she will lie in the bed and sleep with me if she is allowed, and I can pet her always, and I give her kisses often when I just walk by her on her head :) ..
now strangers she will tolerate (become much better than it was at some point) but most she will go away from if they try to pet her - some people can pet her others she will just avoid, she has become a bit alert and will often let us know if there is anyone coming but not in a annoying way and she stops fast :)
>> Nino <<

JulieSmith
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by JulieSmith » Thu Nov 03, 2011 9:27 pm

Saga is 10 months old (Sister of Sam) and a total softy. She is great with other dogs, she is quite submissive with other dogs, but does not lack confidence so a nice balance. She is great with people especially children, occasionally she has got a bit bouncy and mouthy with children, but then she is only a puppy still and is improving all the time. The smaller the child the more gentle she is, I wish I had got a photo of when a small boy who was only just above her shoulder gave her a fuss, she coped with his hands all over her face with out a problem. I am lucky in that I have a 7 year old so could take Saga on the school run from when we got her so that she was introduced to lots of children.

The friendliness of Tamaskans was one of the things that was important to me when choosing this breed, I took my (then 6 year old) daughter to the annual show and I think she hugged almost all the Tams in the room and they were all great with her, I think she hugged most of them again this year :lol:

SarahG
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by SarahG » Fri Nov 04, 2011 3:11 pm

Thanks, all. This is the kind of info I'm looking for . :)

Soelve sounds like my Toller in that regard. He loves anyone that comes into my house actually, but outside he is a little shy of adults. I have taught him a "say hi" cue and he trusts me, so he will go and say hi to people, but still walks away from them if he's too overwhelmed. He is rarely wary of kids though. He warms up quick though...unless the person is wearing a white veterinarian coat. :)

My other two dogs need no encouragement to say hi to anyone. :lol:

Gaby
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Gaby » Sun Nov 06, 2011 3:10 pm

So sorry to hear about your Shiloh! You didn't state the Shilohs in general where aggressive, so don't feel bad about your postings. I was just curious and I know some very friendly Shilohs, so I think you where very unlucky with yours. :(

Mila is my Tamaskan, she is friendly in general to people and dogs, and goes mental from happiness when she meets somebody that she knows or even if I greet somebody happy, she is happy too. She was good with children but after an accident she is now a bit scared of them I do not trust her around children, because she is afraid that they will hurt her. Especially the very small and unpredictable ones. If a child does not pay attention to her, it will be fine. On a walk where there are children too she will behave very good and move away if a child comes to close. But I do not want to take chances with children, so I do not have her and children in the same room where there isn't too much space, I am scared she will nip at them, because, unfortunately, she did that in the past. :(