How to prevent Nipping

All topics pertaining to the temperament / character of the Tamaskan Dog.
Johnjamin
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

How to prevent Nipping

Post by Johnjamin » Wed Apr 13, 2011 8:53 am

Hey,

So Kodi is settling in very nicely now, however due to her growth in confidence she's started nipping a lot more her mouthing isn't so bad but i got a few nips on the chin and on my arms, and i'm not sure the best practice to prevent this sort of behavior, ideally i want to "nip it in the bud" before it gets out of hand and she really begins to bite. I've tried ignoring her and the high pitch "squeee" but she just doesn't seem to care, so i was wondering what steps other people took?

Thanks

John

Jen
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Re: How to prevent Nipping

Post by Jen » Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:25 am

We had this same problem with Sasha. She was by far the most difficult of all the pups i have had to stop puppy biting and for the first time the squeal and ignore method you are using didn't seem to work. I have heard others say that Tams can be difficult in this area too.
We ended up still carrying on with the squeal and ignore method (squeal VERY loud!!) but when this started to work after a while and she was mouthing much more gently I added " Ah Ah teeth" command as she knew "Ah Ah" meant no and as she always went to do it when she greeted you or played ,at least we had a specific stop it command.

This is not ideal as i would prefer her to never even think of using her teeth but it was the best we could get and now at 18 months after many "Ah Ah's" she has pretty much stopped it!!! :lol: She did get very gentle quite quickly though and never hurt with her nips after a couple of weeks of coming home.

Hope that helps a bit but of course every dog is different and your pup is still very young :)

Johnjamin
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by Johnjamin » Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:56 am

Oh ok that's good to know that we're doing the right thing with her. Just a case of conditioning and you're right she is still very young, so we'll keep going with that then. Thanks so much for your advice! :D

Gaby
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Gaby » Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:40 am

I use the same method with the squeel and I immediately get something else for her to chew on and then I praise her for chewing on the toy. So that you also tell her what she can do if she can't bite. Otherwise it can't be frustrating for her if she has a lot of energy but don't know how to release it, if you know what I mean. ;) I think that works quite good, although she likes to bite my hand too and I have to remind her. She is very sensitive for the things I tell her that she does good, so she likes to bite the toys. You do have to put toys everywhere, haha. :lol:

Johnjamin
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by Johnjamin » Wed Apr 13, 2011 11:22 am

good idea! i'll start doing that asap! thanks Gaby!

Blustag
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Blustag » Wed Apr 13, 2011 12:09 pm

Some puppies are more excitable than others with high energy when playing which in turn leads them to play biting. Just tell her NO very firmly and push her off. The other thing you can do is to make a large fist in her mouth with the command NO... this fist 'jams' her mouth and they dont like it so tend to let go and not want to do that again. You can also use a distraction like a toy. Im sure she will grow out of it in time with no worries.

Nino
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Nino » Wed Apr 13, 2011 5:33 pm

Sølve does it too.. but Im using AV! (ouch!) when she bites me too hard, she is not bad most of the time, but she do use her teeth a lot when playing
>> Nino <<

miffany
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by miffany » Fri May 06, 2011 11:38 pm

I had the same problem with Zuuk and my hands and arms were constantly bleeding from one bite or another - have to say I was very relieved when his sharp little teeth finally fell out! Even until very recently Zuuk would still mouth and chew on our hands - though much easier to handle with his bigger, less sharp, teeth. It's only since we've had a puppy in the house - my parent's labrador pup, Scout - that he has finally stopped chewing on us. It's amazing the difference it makes having another young dog around - Scout hasn't chewed any of us, she's too busy hanging off Zuuk's ear or pulling tufts out of his tail, so he gets all the teeth and we just get cuddles at the end of the day.

So I guess distraction is the key so whenever Kodi starts to get chewy with your hands say a sharp 'no' and walk away so he knows he's not to do that, but then give him something else he's allowed to chew on and praise him for chewing it. You could also try teaching him to kiss instead so everytime he licks you you say 'kiss kiss' - or even put some peanut butter or something on your hand so he can lick it off and keep reinforcing the 'kiss kiss' until he understands what it means, so when he starts chewing your hands you say 'No biting! kiss kiss'. you never know, it might work!

Gaby
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Gaby » Sat May 07, 2011 8:27 am

How is the nipping going now, Johnjamin? And what Miffany wrote, we have also another dog, I think that is helpful for us, humans with our sensible skin. She can nip as much as she wants in him. Poor Rhodin (that's the name of my other dog). :lol:

@ Miffany; totally off topic, but do you have some new photo's from Zuuk, I like him very much and am very curious how he looks now!! I you want to, off course. ;)

WhiteElkStag
Tamtastic (Apprentice)
Tamtastic (Apprentice)

Post by WhiteElkStag » Sat May 07, 2011 2:32 pm

Rhea was a compulsive nipper, she always has been. Whenever we were playing or greeting each other I always came out with a few scratches. Kira and I had tried correction and discipline, but while Rhea seemed to get that we didn't want her to bite us most of the time, she would forget as soon as she got excited. Two nights ago I tried the "squeal" method while we were playing, and all of a sudden after we started playing again she was being careful and didn't nip me once for the rest of the play session. I did it again yesterday whenever she nipped me and then this morning we were able to say hello without my arms being used as chew toys. It worked wonders! Thanks for the idea.
Ben Premack
www.WhiteElkTamaskan.com
www.Facebook.com/WhiteElkTamaskan
Rhea (Saxon Aquila at White Elk), Sophie (Saxon Canis Venatici at White Elk), and Auri (Blufawn Sunshine on My Shoulders at White Elk)

Johnjamin
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by Johnjamin » Mon May 09, 2011 12:26 pm

she's getting better, we've tried squealing, stones in a carton and quick spray of water......she's thinks they're all games! gets her even more excited and bitey! so we've just been focusing on leaving the room or putting her in another room and closing the door, which seems to be working but only time will tell with these things haha! Thanks for the kisses idea Miffany! i'll pick some peanut butter or something and start doing that with her! But she is getting better and i think being able to walk her will help release some of that energy, only a week to go!.

Sylvaen
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Sylvaen » Wed May 11, 2011 1:52 am

miffany wrote:You could also try teaching him to kiss instead so everytime he licks you you say 'kiss kiss' - or even put some peanut butter or something on your hand so he can lick it off and keep reinforcing the 'kiss kiss' until he understands what it means, so when he starts chewing your hands you say 'No biting! kiss kiss'. you never know, it might work!
This is an awesome idea... :D
But, I have a plan to modify it a bit... ;)
Whenever I take my dogs to town, usually people pet them and get them to do tricks (sit, paw, etc) but many people also want to get 'kisses' on their cheeks and my dogs just don't understand the concept... they are curious and will go close / sniff but that's about it... soooo... I think I'll practice with a bit of peanut butter on my cheek and the word 'kiss' -then they should figure out that it means to lick the cheek next time someone wants some Tamaskan kisses. LOL Just have to make sure they only lick... not chew someone's face off, that wouldn't be good... :lol:
The future lies before you, like a path of pure white snow...
Be careful how you tread it, for every step will show.

blufawn
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by blufawn » Wed May 11, 2011 10:22 am

I teach my dogs to kiss (but not with licks) we touch noses like eskimos........ im not a big fan of slobbery snogs ;)
If you can meet with Triumph and Disaster
And treat those two impostors just the same;
If you can bear to hear the truth you've spoken
Twisted by knaves to make a trap for fools,
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!

JulieSmith
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by JulieSmith » Wed May 11, 2011 10:28 am

I would hate slobbery kisses as well. I like my hugs better

Hawthorne
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Hawthorne » Sat May 14, 2011 9:08 pm

Darwin just french kissed the vet today. I'm not sure she liked it very much. Oh well, he's still a pup and we're working with him a lot. :)
Tracy Graziano
http://www.hawthornetamaskan.com

bark as if no one can hear you
catch the ball on the fly
lick like there's no end to kissing
sleep on a sofa nearby
jump like the sky is the limit
sit by the fire with friends
stay with the ones who love you
run like the road never ends

Sylvaen
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Sylvaen » Sun May 15, 2011 2:02 am

Hawthorne wrote:Darwin just french kissed the vet today. I'm not sure she liked it very much. Oh well, he's still a pup and we're working with him a lot. :)
LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL :D
The future lies before you, like a path of pure white snow...
Be careful how you tread it, for every step will show.

Kootenaywolf
Tamtastic (Apprentice)
Tamtastic (Apprentice)

Post by Kootenaywolf » Sat May 28, 2011 5:47 am

Johnjamin wrote:she's getting better, we've tried squealing, stones in a carton and quick spray of water......she's thinks they're all games! gets her even more excited and bitey! so we've just been focusing on leaving the room or putting her in another room and closing the door, which seems to be working but only time will tell with these things haha! Thanks for the kisses idea Miffany! i'll pick some peanut butter or something and start doing that with her! But she is getting better and i think being able to walk her will help release some of that energy, only a week to go!.
When you say stones in a carton you mean like a shake can? I have used pennies in a can. I would just have to say if you are using the squirt bottle or shake can, you have to back it up with also a "no" and moving toward them/giving a lot of body pressure. You might try a few quick shakes with the can, not just one. If you make it startling and your tone of voice is very authoritative, she should quickly understand that it is not a game. Of course immediately after that, offering something she can chew on and have a big reward party! Maybe even play some tug with her and a toy, so she is really reinforced one what behavior is okay.
I know there are some dogs who don't react at all to the squirt bottle or think it's pleasant (!), but the shake can if used effectively should be enough to snap her out of it.

Johnjamin
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by Johnjamin » Tue Jun 14, 2011 3:00 pm

she's stopped FINALLY doing this, it took a long time and a lot of time out training, but now she'll open her mouth to start, then think better of it, so my arms and hands and ankles can finally start to heal!!! HORAAAYY!!!

thanks for everyone's help!

TerriHolt
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by TerriHolt » Tue Jun 14, 2011 6:12 pm

Johnjamin wrote:she's stopped FINALLY doing this, it took a long time and a lot of time out training, but now she'll open her mouth to start, then think better of it, so my arms and hands and ankles can finally start to heal!!! HORAAAYY!!!

thanks for everyone's help!

congratz and happy healing :lol:

There’s a battle between two wolves inside us all.
One is Evil. It’s anger, jealousy, greed, resentment, inferiority, lies and ego.
The other is Good. It’s joy, peace, love, hope, humility, kindness and truth.

The wolf that wins? The one you feed!

~ Cherokee Proverb

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity... I'm not sure about the former.

~ Albert Einstein

AZDehlin
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by AZDehlin » Tue Jun 14, 2011 9:51 pm

Congratulation on fixing that bad habit!

Gaby
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Gaby » Wed Jun 15, 2011 5:57 pm

Haha, congratulations! It is difficult if a puppy bites, but it's nice to know that eventually it will stop and your work had paid off. ;) Is she changing teeth already? Maybe the biting and chewing will be more, but it will stop when she is finished changing.

lasgal
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by lasgal » Sun Nov 25, 2012 3:44 am

I am relieved to hear I do not have the only pup that loves to nip and bite! Tallulah only gets more excited when we squeal, and when we get up to end the playtime she thinks we are starting a game of chase. The one thing that seems to work is hiding our hands. She gets frustrated and gets a toy to chomp on.

arianwenarie
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by arianwenarie » Sun Nov 25, 2012 4:44 am

I was taught to always carry one of those small, flimsy fabric frisbees in my pocket (they're very foldable!) or a small fabric toy and just shove it in the pup's mouth whenever they try to bite. Just say "no bite" and shove it in their mouth. Usually, it works, but if they're persistent, then you could try to have multiple few minute training sessions throughout the day (if you have time); put pup on leash and if they try to run off after a quick "nip and run", you can keep 'em close when on leash. If they know the down command (lay down), you could make them lay down and stand on the leash to enforce if necessary...that is, if they keep trying to nip you and ignore the toy. They'll give up after about 5-10 seconds...a pup's attention span isn't that long especially if you completely ignore them. :lol:

All else fails, start teaching the pup to do doggy pushups and make pup do doggy pushups for every time naughty behavior occurs (when you catch 'em in the act) - nipping, jumping, barking non-stop. Doggy pushups aren't to be used for punishment when they have an accident in the house, of course. ;)

TerriHolt
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by TerriHolt » Sun Nov 25, 2012 11:35 am

For my boy, the squealing, ignoring and everything else didn't work. In the end i taught him "leave it" and applied that to everything, chase the cat, "leave it", nip he kids "leave it", nip he person "leave it", Pick something up that is not allowed "leave it"... I often got frowned at calling people "it" but they was understanding that it was just a command to leave something.
Leave it was always followed with a treat which mean sometimes i had to be quick, even a slight look away got a "good" and treat.

There’s a battle between two wolves inside us all.
One is Evil. It’s anger, jealousy, greed, resentment, inferiority, lies and ego.
The other is Good. It’s joy, peace, love, hope, humility, kindness and truth.

The wolf that wins? The one you feed!

~ Cherokee Proverb

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity... I'm not sure about the former.

~ Albert Einstein

Hawthorne
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Hawthorne » Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:56 pm

I think the best piece of advice is not letting people use their hands to play with puppies. Hands are not toys. Use a toy when playing with a new puppy.
Tracy Graziano
http://www.hawthornetamaskan.com

bark as if no one can hear you
catch the ball on the fly
lick like there's no end to kissing
sleep on a sofa nearby
jump like the sky is the limit
sit by the fire with friends
stay with the ones who love you
run like the road never ends

arianwenarie
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by arianwenarie » Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:09 pm

Hawthorne wrote:I think the best piece of advice is not letting people use their hands to play with puppies. Hands are not toys. Use a toy when playing with a new puppy.
Very good advice right there, Tracy. ;) I think it's always best to make sure puppy/dog thinks hands = affection.

Eventide
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by Eventide » Tue Jan 22, 2013 5:28 pm

TerriHolt wrote:For my boy, the squealing, ignoring and everything else didn't work. In the end i taught him "leave it" and applied that to everything, chase the cat, "leave it", nip he kids "leave it", nip he person "leave it", Pick something up that is not allowed "leave it"... I often got frowned at calling people "it" but they was understanding that it was just a command to leave something.
Leave it was always followed with a treat which mean sometimes i had to be quick, even a slight look away got a "good" and treat.
Yep, Max pretty much ignores "off" every time and is much better with "leave it" as well.

The whole jumping/nipping/biting thing has been the biggest challenge with Max. He does not just bite/nip at hands though. If he wants your attention and your doing something else at the time, he'll nip/bite leg, knee, elbow, forearm, butt; anything that's available at the time (little demon :twisted: ). I usually yelp and say "leave it" and he backs off, but only momentarily if I don't stop what I'm doing and give him my undivided attention. When he does this to me, it's usually to tell me his play buddy, Roo, has a favorite bone of his and he wants it (we have a virtual bone yard in our family room - only wants Roo's), otherwise, it's probably just boredom as he will either bring me one of his toys to throw, or will lead me to the back door wanting me to come out with him to play.

As for jumping, only thing that has worked for me is when I first ocme home from work, I wait at the gate until he's calm, then go toward him to love/praise on him quickly before he gets a chance to jump. If I'm not fast enough (hands full), I can usually see the jump coming and I put my knee up and say "off." If he continues the jump, I move my knee forward and push against his chest causing him to sit, then he gets the praise/love, etc. All this being said/done, even then, he may still jump on my back as I walk past (kinda' hard to see that one coming :roll: ).

Now, with everyone else it's a real problem as I can't seem to get others to do the same if I'm not in the room when they walk in, especially the girls in the family. All they want to do is scream at him, try to push him away, and run :x -- and, of course, now he's in full play mode and I can't even get him to listen at that point :|, nor do I try ;) . Eventually they'll "get it" I hope.

Tatzel
Tamtastic (Apprentice)
Tamtastic (Apprentice)

Post by Tatzel » Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:51 pm

I think a good idea would be to teach the dog alternate behaviour, i.e. nipping hands is not desired, but chewing on your toys is something we want you to do!

Here's a video tutorial which I found useful: