Barking?

All topics pertaining to the temperament / character of the Tamaskan Dog.
Sylvaen
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Barking?

Post by Sylvaen » Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:11 am

I'm curious to hear if other Tamaskan Dogs bark or not. My 2 don't really bark but they are VERY vocal! They know how to get my attention and will "speak" when it's time for dinner or a walk. They also will often "wooooo" whenever someone comes over to visit. Jasper will, occasionally, bark at the cats and yesterday he said "Wooouf" (a very masculine-sounding, short wooo with an "uf" at the end) at a little yappy dog. hilarious! :P
The future lies before you, like a path of pure white snow...
Be careful how you tread it, for every step will show.

Nino
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Re: Barking?

Post by Nino » Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:49 am

Well Sølve can certanly bark! :lol:

Actually she is very vocal, which makes me laugh quite a bit, but she is a Jackal pup so go figure :-D
>> Nino <<

blufawn
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by blufawn » Tue Jan 25, 2011 4:50 pm

Lynn trained Loosa to bark on command. ;)
If you can meet with Triumph and Disaster
And treat those two impostors just the same;
If you can bear to hear the truth you've spoken
Twisted by knaves to make a trap for fools,
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!

Blustag
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Re: Barking

Post by Blustag » Tue Jan 25, 2011 5:36 pm

Yes Tamaskan do bark but they do need a reason. Feeding time, someone at the door, going for a walk etc. :lol:

Nino
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Nino » Tue Jan 25, 2011 5:41 pm

Sølve really DOES bark - and quite a lot :D
she even barks at the broom when it is just standing there doing nothing.. stupid dog :lol:
>> Nino <<

Mylingen
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by Mylingen » Tue Jan 25, 2011 5:42 pm

Mine bark when someone is at the door, but not excessively.
Other than that, I wouldn't say they bark a lot, but they talk all the time!
When they want attention, when they want to play, when they play, when they want to go out,
and sometimes, just to say hello...
Ooaaooouaaauuoooooooo! :lol:

JoshC
Tamtastic (Apprentice)
Tamtastic (Apprentice)

Post by JoshC » Tue Jan 25, 2011 5:47 pm

Dylan has come in to his voice. He barks at the other dogs when they are playing to rough

Rahne

Post by Rahne » Tue Jan 25, 2011 6:54 pm

Konah doesn't really bark, only when she doesn't know how to react on a certain situation. Like this winter we had a huge snowman next to our door and she thought it was very strange and didn't know what to do with it so she started to bark at it.

She isn't very vocal at all actually.. She will sometimes say whooohoo to greet my boyfriend. The only times she howls is when she is left completely alone but that never happens because my neighbours won't like it :mrgreen: Ohh and sometimes she will howl when she hears an ambulance.

claireyclaire
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by claireyclaire » Tue Jan 25, 2011 7:15 pm

Tala is very vocal but doesn't bark, she does woo-woo though! I think Elska has learnt to bark from Bru and will bark if someone comes to the door!
“You can take the dog out of the Wolf Pack, But you can't take the Wolf Pack out of the dog"

Sylvaen
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Sylvaen » Tue Jan 25, 2011 7:31 pm

Neither Jasper or Vixen bark much... they are very vocal though and they do "speak" - it's just not a barking noise. They sometimes "Woooo" at people who come over to visit and they'll tell me when they want to go out, but they aren't really barkers. :)
The future lies before you, like a path of pure white snow...
Be careful how you tread it, for every step will show.

blufawn
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by blufawn » Tue Jan 25, 2011 9:30 pm

Zuul barks, but none of the others do....
If you can meet with Triumph and Disaster
And treat those two impostors just the same;
If you can bear to hear the truth you've spoken
Twisted by knaves to make a trap for fools,
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!

wicca1
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by wicca1 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:05 am

lenka barks, which is a good thing as she lets me know when anyone is about also she does a sad little howl thing when she thinks she's not getting enough attention :) .

Wave2Tuffy
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by Wave2Tuffy » Thu Jan 27, 2011 12:33 pm

Wave has not been barking for long. My 2 other, non-tamskan, dogs bark a lot. Its taken them almost 2 yrs to teach him to bark at the door when someone knocks. He use to just stand tall & stare...which always scared people much more than my barking dogs. The silent one with piercing eyes always got their attention :lol: :lol: :lol:

Rambler
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by Rambler » Thu Jan 27, 2011 3:05 pm

Rambler only barks when he tries to entice my other dog to play. He talks all the time, though. :lol:

Hawthorne
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Hawthorne » Wed Feb 02, 2011 12:43 am

Freyja barks when she wants to. We tried to teach her to bark on command, but she simply won't do it.
She'll do loads of other things--but not bark. Oh well.
Tracy Graziano
http://www.hawthornetamaskan.com

bark as if no one can hear you
catch the ball on the fly
lick like there's no end to kissing
sleep on a sofa nearby
jump like the sky is the limit
sit by the fire with friends
stay with the ones who love you
run like the road never ends

Blustag
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Blustag » Fri Feb 04, 2011 3:40 pm

It is relatively easy to train bark command but does involve food treats and teasing Im afraid and you have to get the timing perfect so your dog understands fully what he /she is meant to do.

Gaby
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Gaby » Fri Feb 04, 2011 4:02 pm

Blustag wrote:It is relatively easy to train bark command but does involve food treats and teasing Im afraid and you have to get the timing perfect so your dog understands fully what he /she is meant to do.
It is easy to learn it to your dog, but I now wish I didn't learn my dog to bark on command. Because if I teach him a new trick and he doesn't know what I want from him yet, he does it with a lot of barking. And that's quite irritating, because he has a very loud and deep bark. We also have a command to stop barking, but he likes it a lot. He also barks when he is excited and when somebody is at the door, so he probably barks a lot more than a Tam would do. Maybe it's not a problem with a Tam, a friend of mine who has a Australian Kelpie doesn't have problems with her dog barking after she learned it him.

Blustag
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Blustag » Fri Feb 04, 2011 4:13 pm

No I didnt have a problem with any of my dogs that I taught to bark. You must teach them the 'stop/quiet' command too. I used to train my dogs for Police Dog Standard competitions and we had to teach our German Shepherds to bark on command and to carry on barking until told to stop. Very important.

Gaby
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Gaby » Fri Feb 04, 2011 4:23 pm

Blustag wrote:No I didnt have a problem with any of my dogs that I taught to bark. You must teach them the 'stop/quiet' command too. I used to train my dogs for Police Dog Standard competitions and we had to teach our German Shepherds to bark on command and to carry on barking until told to stop. Very important.
Yes, I know, but I can't keep him continue barking untill I say 'Stop!' He just barks two or three times and stops. I do have a command to let him stop, but if he's overexcited he finds it very difficult. How did you teach them to carry on barking?

Blustag
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Blustag » Fri Feb 04, 2011 7:43 pm

Its very difficult to explain but I will show you when you come over. ;)

Gaby
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Gaby » Fri Feb 04, 2011 8:01 pm

Blustag wrote:Its very difficult to explain but I will show you when you come over. ;)
Nice! That's a deal. :mrgreen: ;)

sky
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by sky » Sat Feb 05, 2011 1:15 am

Mine doesn't bark normally. He will jowever bark at the vacuum and leaf blower, and if he is in the garage and he knows we are home... Always wants to be with his human family! He does make other strange noises when he wants to or when he's playing.

Jen
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by Jen » Sat Feb 05, 2011 11:46 am

Sasha is kind of the silent ninja type! She is always doing something naughty ( chewing, tearing , digging etc!) but you never hear a peep from her while she is doing it! :lol: :twisted:

The only noise she ever makes is a big wooooo when she is excited cause of a walk , food or getting up in the morning!

Although once she did go mad at the neighbours bricks being delivered by a big lifting truck thing! That was rather funny and her bark was really high pitched :lol:

Nino
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Nino » Sat Feb 05, 2011 11:54 am

Jen wrote:Sasha is kind of the silent ninja type! She is always doing something naughty ( chewing, tearing , digging etc!) but you never hear a peep from her while she is doing it! :lol: :twisted:
:lol: well when it gets too quiet I go looking for Sølve, cause she is probably doing something naughty..
I have a nephew like that too.. as long as he is making noise no one is concerned.. but if he goes quiet...!
>> Nino <<

winterblitz
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by winterblitz » Fri Apr 08, 2011 3:00 pm

Tala is very quiet with us. She does not bark unless she is trying to play with our cat, Gizmo, and he is not giving her the attention she wants. Tala and Gizmo get along very well and will wrestle and play together one minute then cuddleWe are trying to train her how to bark or somehow notify us when someone comes to the door. Since my husband works nights during the winter, she, her training, and vet bills would then be partially tax deductable as a "home security" if she does something to let us know someone is there. It has been tricky, but occasionally she will get the idea and make a low quite "wuf" if she sees someone pass on the street outside. She will not vocally let us know if she needs to go outside to go to the bathroom; so we have been thinking of training her to ring a bell hanging on the door. My brother-in-law taught his labradoodle puppy to ring a bell and he said it has saved their door from being scratched to death while keeping Nessa from going in the house.

The only times that Tala makes noises are :during rough play (little "yips" or short "barks"), to tell another dog that she is done playing and not interested in them anymore (toothy little "growl"), and howling or whining in her kennel to let us know she needs to go to the bathroom. Otherwise she is very quiet. I think it would be neat to teach her how to howl or "sing", but before I try teaching that I will need to know how to also teach her to stop and be quite.

Does anyone have any tips on teaching a quiet dog to sing then to stop?

JulieSmith
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by JulieSmith » Fri Apr 08, 2011 11:59 pm

No idea on singing and stopping, but we are teaching Saga to use. Bell to let us know when she wants to go out, she is getting the hang of it nicely. If tala will not bark you could try a bell to let you know someone is near the house.

TerriHolt
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by TerriHolt » Sat Apr 09, 2011 8:01 am

sam hasn't barked yet... at times when a dog would normally bark, he walks round making sneezing noises (but not sneezing) unless someone knocks on the door, then he runs away :| . other times he "talks" to me but still doesn't bark.

using a bell sounds cleaver idea :P

There’s a battle between two wolves inside us all.
One is Evil. It’s anger, jealousy, greed, resentment, inferiority, lies and ego.
The other is Good. It’s joy, peace, love, hope, humility, kindness and truth.

The wolf that wins? The one you feed!

~ Cherokee Proverb

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity... I'm not sure about the former.

~ Albert Einstein

Saxon
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by Saxon » Sun Apr 10, 2011 7:33 am

odin and frigga bark but it is usually only at things or noises they cant see

jyotin
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by jyotin » Mon Apr 11, 2011 3:25 am

Odin jr barks when we are sleeping/busy and he REALLY needs to go to the bathroom, it'll start off as a wimper...than a howl...and then a loud bark and growl. It's actually good since right now he'll sleep straight through the night 7 hours...so we never get up to take him out middle of the night...but the random occasion when he needs to go...or we accidentally sleep in, it's an immediate wake up call that has us running down the stairs to take him out :lol:
"Compassion for animals is intimately connected with goodness of character; and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man"
--Arthur Schopenhauer

Hawthorne
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Hawthorne » Tue Apr 26, 2011 11:57 pm

Blustag wrote:It is relatively easy to train bark command but does involve food treats and teasing Im afraid and you have to get the timing perfect so your dog understands fully what he /she is meant to do.
We taught our lab mix Fenris to speak on command, even soft and loud, even based on hand gestures, even across the yard with hand gestures. I didn't think it was a critical command for her, so I moved on to other things. She's better at "sing"--howling on command. :lol:

Darwin, on the other hand, barks a lot.
Tracy Graziano
http://www.hawthornetamaskan.com

bark as if no one can hear you
catch the ball on the fly
lick like there's no end to kissing
sleep on a sofa nearby
jump like the sky is the limit
sit by the fire with friends
stay with the ones who love you
run like the road never ends