Waist belt leash (hands-free)

Everything about Tamaskan Dogs that does not fit within the other topics in this section.
martinbernstein
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Waist belt leash (hands-free)

Post by martinbernstein » Thu Aug 17, 2017 4:26 am

I've been thinking of making and selling waistbelts and bungee leashes, but I don't know if there is a market for it. I'm curious why most people prefer to walk their dogs on a leash? Don't you wanna be hands free?

I've walked my tamaskan and her Karelian Bear Dog brother on a two-prong bungee leash attached to my waistbelt for seven years now. I almost never walk them on a regular leash, and when I do I'm reminded why I kicked that habit. The shoulder yanking is tiresome, and I can't bring my coffee mug with me in the mornings.

Would love to hear people's opinions.

Jadzia1313
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Re: Waist belt leash (hands-free)

Post by Jadzia1313 » Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:23 pm

Hi.

I bought a waist belt and leashes from Polardog Outfitters (a fellow Tamaskan owner). I love using when I can, especially to be hands free, or hands free with two of my three dogs (one is a puller). I haven't found one that will allow three leashes and spin to untangle if they cross each other accidentally. That would something nice to have. The belt also comes in handy while pushing a stroller.

I don't use the belt much at the moment. I have an 8-month-old baby that I carry in a front pack while I walk my trio. She is now tall enough that her feet would dangle in front of the belt and get leashed tied up around her.

I have seen one Tamaskan owner using one while rollerblading (She is brave!), but her dog was a nice dog to stay in a heel position for her.

I personally don't do bungee leashes, but I've just never been a fan of them so far. I think there are some owners who use the bungees with their bikes though.

Katlin
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Katlin » Thu Aug 24, 2017 10:18 am

I make them. Do your research before purchasing all your supplies. You'll NEED an industrial machine which are about $2500 CAD. Sewing with a regular machine with regular thread is not a good idea. Bungees should only be used with harnesses as they can cause neck strain when used with collars.

As for the market....it's there but it's not huge. There's enough competition out there that I wouldn't say it's too "good".
Polarose Tamaskan
Polardog Outfitters
Owner of Sierra Kaweah RN RI TDI TRN TTDN CRN-MCL @ Polarose

Sylvaen
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Sylvaen » Fri Aug 25, 2017 8:39 am

I use the Canadog walking belt and I love it... though I wish it had a pocket to hold mobile phone + poop sacks, etc (I believe the latest version of this product has these accessories). I only use a bungee leash on the scooter or bike, not on the walking belt.
Jadzia1313 wrote:
Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:23 pm
I haven't found one that will allow three leashes and spin to untangle if they cross each other accidentally. That would something nice to have.

I have an 8-month-old baby that I carry in a front pack while I walk my trio. She is now tall enough that her feet would dangle in front of the belt and get leashed tied up around her.
Perhaps Martin can invent a new type of walking-belt for parents of young babies, which incorporates these suggestions and ideas... maybe a belt that goes around the baby harness (not attached). Safety would be the most important concern.
The future lies before you, like a path of pure white snow...
Be careful how you tread it, for every step will show.