My Social Media war against RPK

Everything about Tamaskan Dogs that does not fit within the other topics in this section.
rhadamant
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

My Social Media war against RPK

Post by rhadamant » Tue Sep 01, 2015 5:18 am

Hey all!

So being tech savvy and having free time I do find myself looking and Reddit and Imgur from time to time. About once a month or so a picture of a Tamaskan will go viral and catch my attention. People always have a high interest in the breed and inquire about where to adopt a puppy. I've been on my personal warpath against RPK / Ratliff / Etc. Sadly I just stumbled upon someone who clearly got their puppy from RPK, so they're still in business and pumping out pups. If anyone else happens to use Reddit or Imgur feel free to help set the record straight with me. The more the merrier!

Recent reddit post, dog came from RPK:

The associated Imgur post from the reddit post:

Cheers!!

Katlin
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Re: My Social Media war against RPK

Post by Katlin » Tue Sep 01, 2015 6:15 am

They didn't state where they got the puppy...
Polarose Tamaskan
Polardog Outfitters
Owner of Sierra Kaweah RN RI TDI TRN TTDN CRN-MCL @ Polarose

rhadamant
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by rhadamant » Tue Sep 01, 2015 6:37 am

Katlin wrote:They didn't state where they got the puppy...
When I asked they got defensive and started calling me names. They said their puppy came from NC, maybe it came from Tarheel, but as far as I know Tarheel hasn't had a litter since last December, so it's likely an RPK pup.

Sylvaen
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Sylvaen » Tue Sep 01, 2015 10:08 am

It looks like an RPK pup: rounded eyes, large ears, dark masking...
The future lies before you, like a path of pure white snow...
Be careful how you tread it, for every step will show.

rhadamant
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by rhadamant » Tue Sep 01, 2015 5:41 pm

Does anyone know if Tarheel had a litter lately? Because if it isn't a Tarheel pup, it's an RPK pup. As far as Tarheel's facebook page shows there hasn't been.

zensige
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by zensige » Fri Dec 04, 2015 3:23 pm

rhadamant wrote:
Katlin wrote:They didn't state where they got the puppy...
When I asked they got defensive and started calling me names.
That is pretty much standard procedure for "redditor" when being confronted.

rhadamant
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by rhadamant » Fri Dec 18, 2015 4:35 am

Found another RPK site.

http://www.yadkinwolfden.com/

Almost an exact copy from their Blustag / Tarheel sites.

Katlin
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Katlin » Fri Dec 18, 2015 5:48 am

Yep we've known about that one for a while. He also has Myshiba.com He used to have a Sylvaen one too. It's all just a scam to lull in gullible people.
Polarose Tamaskan
Polardog Outfitters

hannahmeansgrace
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by hannahmeansgrace » Fri Feb 05, 2016 9:07 pm

I'm doing a bit of the same thing! (You inspired me, @rhadamant. I've seen your posts on Reddit and so appreciated when I came across them.)

While I think there's benefit at kindly correcting people when they praise Blustag/RPK on social media (as I've seen a lot of people do on FB), I think there's even more value in being proactive. (As a PR and branding professional, this is what I do in my day job.) I think it's important to discuss this, too, as a group, because so often what's being put on Facebook comes across as really demeaning and discouraging to well-meaning dog owners.

As a general rule, it's better to put out positive information than to be the people associated with negativity. If you can post pictures of your dog and how much you love Tamaskans or your friend's Tamaskans, and be informative about the breed, then you can slowly start countering the disinformation created by RPK.

While it's not the job of TDR to correct these people in an official capacity, I do think it would be awesome if the TDR website could step out ahead of the negative publicity and create a more brand-friendly FAQ. If the website could improve it's SEO and create a page that answers the questions, "Is my dog a Tamaskan?", or "How to spot a real Tamaskan," or "Do Tamaskans act like wolfdogs?"--then we could work to create proactive awareness rather than reactive messaging. These questions are often asked by people who've picked up a husky mix dog at a shelter, googled a bit, and think their dog looks like a Tamaskan. It's a great opportunity to explain the truth in a way that is friendly, engaging, and makes that person want to get a Tamaskan in the future rather than run away from the TDR as an organization filled with elitists. (Not saying that is what TDR is--but it's the way people can misinterpret it, particularly when they're emotional, have a Blustag dog on their hands. and are told it's a "fake Tamaskan.")

As for myself, I'm just really trying to make sure I put out lots of positive things about Tamaskans. It's not that they need positive press, but they need accurate press. There needs to be photos of Tamaskans on the internet that actually look like they should, and not have the Malamute mask or coats of RPK. (That's why I run an Instagram [http://www.instagram.com/halifax_the_tamaskan] for Halifax...something I wouldn't normally do for my dog.)
instagram.com/halifax_the_tamaskan

hannahmeansgrace
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by hannahmeansgrace » Fri Feb 05, 2016 9:26 pm

This is related-but-not, does anyone have any idea whether this is a new RPK account? I suspect that it is, and that they're hoping to increase their Instagram presence. The reason I suspect it's them is because of the sole #blutsag hashtag and the group puppy shots. https://www.instagram.com/nylahthetamaskan/

Katlin
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Katlin » Sat Feb 06, 2016 1:04 am

That looks like Lynn's whelping box and a previous litter maybe? Not RPK.
Polarose Tamaskan
Polardog Outfitters

hannahmeansgrace
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by hannahmeansgrace » Sat Feb 06, 2016 9:47 pm

Ah, that would make more sense. The photos are very amateur compared to the RPK website.

Booma
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Booma » Sun Feb 07, 2016 10:56 am

it def looks like lynn holding the 3 pups
Image Image

rosemont
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by rosemont » Sun Feb 07, 2016 10:34 pm

it's definitely Lynn, she uploaded the picture with the puppies at her feet on her forum (that I snoop on every now and then lol)

rhadamant
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by rhadamant » Wed Feb 10, 2016 10:45 pm

@hannahmeansgrace

Yeah I purposefully don't come in swinging against people who post pictures of what are clearly puppy mill dogs. What I've been doing mostly is whenever anyone shows an interest in the breed I'll just politely message them about puppy mills, etc. I expected to get lambasted by the people I message, but surprisingly they're all happy with it. About 50% of the time the people I message already figured out for themselves that RPK and all its aliases were totally fraudulent, and the other 50% of the time they're super happy I reached out to them.

Last year I had a young couple without a dog come into the dog park when I was there. They said my dog looked very much like a Tamaskan, I told them that it was. I found out that they had put a deposit on an RPK puppy, then learned what and who they were and just let RPK keep the deposit rather than further support a puppy mill. My hope is that the more information we can put out there to counter the RPK propaganda, the fewer people will fall victim to their scam.