Owning a Tamaskan

Everything about Tamaskan Dogs that does not fit within the other topics in this section.
Montalto7
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Owning a Tamaskan

Post by Montalto7 » Tue Apr 07, 2015 9:13 pm

Hi,it is my first post so sorry if i do something wrong.So i've been looking for a dog breed that fots me and i really like the Tamaskan but i have a few questions before taking the steps for owning one.
1) I live in a medium sized appartment,on the 2nd floor,can a tamaskan live in a appartment if walked regulary and it is okay if i haven't gor any yard ?
2) if i work most of the day but i walk the dog before going to work and after will it be okay alone ? Or it will howl and destroy everything?
3) Can he be left off leash so he can exercice more and be recalled ?
Thanks you and sorry for my bad english.

HiTenshi16
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Re: Owning a Tamaskan

Post by HiTenshi16 » Wed Apr 08, 2015 4:39 am

It will all depend on the individual dog. Some can successfully live in an apartment as long as given regular exercise. If you work during most of the day and live in an appartment, it may not be reccomended. Depending on which line you adopt from, some Tamaskans may develop Separation Anxiety which may result in howling, whining, and possibly destroying some things.
Tamaskans can be trained off leash, but some have higher prey drives which could result in a less reliable recall.

As awesome as this breed is, it is not where we want it yet.

Booma
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Booma » Wed Apr 08, 2015 11:56 pm

Some people live in apartments with their tams with no issue. If you physically and mentally exercise it adequately there should be no issue. Recall comes down to training.
Image Image

Katlin
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Katlin » Thu Apr 09, 2015 12:14 am

I can attest against the recall being purely training. Wylie's prey drive will always overthrow his training. So I would say my Tamaskan personally is not safe offleash.
Polarose Tamaskan
Polardog Outfitters
Owner of Sierra Kaweah RN RI TDI TRN TTDN CRN-MCL @ Polarose