Hot Dogs... Literally!

Everything about Tamaskan Dogs that does not fit within the other topics in this section.
OddFoxx
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Hot Dogs... Literally!

Post by OddFoxx » Tue Sep 02, 2014 11:44 pm

So it's looking more and more like we'll be opening our wellness center in mid/north Texas somewhere, probably in the Arlington/Dallas area. Whoohoo! My mother (whom I'm opening with) is totally sold on having a Tam as our second therapy dog, but made a good question about how they handle heat. Being closely related to huskies, CSV's, and other snow-loving dogs, do they fare well in warmer climates that don't snow as often? I know Dallas gets chilly in winter and spring (sometimes downright cold), and occasionally snows a little, but given the double coat, will a Tamaskan still be healthy? Of course I'm not planning to leave it or any dog outside in the heat all day; my dogs are my babies and on hot days we get our exercise before and after the heat. I told her that it most likely sheds out most of the undercoat that it doesn't need so much in the heat, but she wanted me to double check that. And on that note, how much do Tamaskans shed in general? My Belgian sheds enough that I could take up yarn spinning and knit a second dog, but he's got that double coat and it's long.
"Shade and Sweet Water to you!"

HiTenshi16
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Re: Hot Dogs... Literally!

Post by HiTenshi16 » Wed Sep 03, 2014 12:34 am

We have 2 Tamaskans and live just north of Dallas/Fort Worth. Most of the time our pack is inside where it is constantly cool in the house, only being let outside for a potty break (we also have no fence). We do go for a walk every morning at 6:00 AM for an hour before it gets too warm, and on weekends we like to join DOGSDFW at local dog parks (and sometimes have lunch on a restaraunt patio). If we are not with our DOGSDFW friends, we would go to a dog park close by later in the evening.
I would advise against ever leaving a dog outside unattended, even for 5 minutes, as some Tamaskans are diggers.

Their coats will be a little thick in winter but much thinner during summer. There is a constant shedding, but it's only noticeable once you've swept or vacuumed every few days. It's when they shed in between winter and summer coats that they need more brushing (I recommend a rake brush). Some of the guard hairs shed too along with their undercoat. I guess you might compare their shedding to a German Shepherd.

Booma
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Booma » Wed Sep 03, 2014 12:36 am

I live in Australia :-P Balto is mostly an inside dog, and never left out during the really hot part of the day, but he does fine.
Image Image

Katlin
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Katlin » Wed Sep 03, 2014 4:00 am

We live in Calgary, Alberta so we have wicked weather. Winters get to -50*C with the windchill and summers get up to 35*C so there is a huge variation. Wylie's winter coat is huge and fluffy and his summer coat is still quite fuzzy :)

I have a kiddie pool for Wylie and frozen treats that help him cope. I also have a mist bottle that I spay him down with if he gets too hot inside.

The shedding can be quite extensive, but I brush Wylie every week (sometimes a few times a week) with an undercoat rake and that really helps the shedding.
Polarose Tamaskan
Polardog Outfitters
Owner of Sierra Kaweah RN RI TDI TRN TTDN CRN-MCL @ Polarose

chelle784
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by chelle784 » Fri Sep 05, 2014 9:30 pm

We live in Toron(t)o and it doesn't get as cold as Calgary. I believe the coldest last year was -30. Summers are pretty warm and although it's not really summer anymore it's 30 degrees C today. The dogs prefer sitting under the air con so we take them on a longer walk at 11pm and in the morning. One of ours tries to avoid going out and tries to dodge us putting the leash on when it's hot but I don't think she's an accurate representation of a tam. The other one is fine. As Katlin said the shedding can be a lot. Pepper shed a lot after the cold winter I guess because of the extreme change in temperature from -30 in the winter to 35 in the summer and I have dark wood floors so her white undercoat is so noticeable on it. I made a luxury purchase of a roomba because I don't like the fur on the floor but I'm too lazy to hoover every day so now the fur doesn't bother me as I'm not cleaning it anymore. I crack out the vacuum only to do the stairs now.

Katlin
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Katlin » Fri Sep 05, 2014 10:08 pm

chelle784 wrote:We live in Toron(t)o
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Canadians will get it!

We also have the dark floors. I'd take a picture after one day of or floor but I'm too embarrassed, it really can get out of hand quickly :oops:
Polarose Tamaskan
Polardog Outfitters
Owner of Sierra Kaweah RN RI TDI TRN TTDN CRN-MCL @ Polarose

chelle784
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by chelle784 » Sat Sep 06, 2014 12:25 am

haha I know what you mean! The white shedding against the dark floors. We needed new sofas so we chose a light colour for this reason as our previous one was black (mistake!)

OddFoxx
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by OddFoxx » Sat Sep 06, 2014 3:35 am

Pfft, I know the feeling. Sariel's got that long black/red/silver upper coat and that forever fluffy under coat. If I don't vacuum every other day, my carpet goes black (it /was/ beige XD) I'm just happy the rest of the house is hard floors since sweeping's fast, but I really could make a spare puppy. I actually took all the fur on the floor once and made a shape of the size he was at 9 weeks :p So keeping a Tam in Texas with my Belgie means I need to sweep/vacuum daily at the office lest we be consumed by fur haha <3 It'll be great, though, we're already looking at commercial buildings with large lots for them to burn off energy when they're not working :3
"Shade and Sweet Water to you!"

highasakite
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by highasakite » Sat Sep 06, 2014 11:46 pm

I get it, haha!

chelle784
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by chelle784 » Sun Sep 07, 2014 12:41 am

hehe :D

arianwenarie
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by arianwenarie » Sun Sep 07, 2014 2:38 am

highasakite wrote:
I get it, haha!
I don't get it... lol. Then again, I've never even set foot on Canadian soil, soooo... ^^'

Ryphen
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by Ryphen » Sun Sep 07, 2014 1:43 pm

My guess would be people not pronouncing the second "t" when saying it. "Torono."

Sylvaen
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Sylvaen » Wed Sep 17, 2014 8:37 pm

I just moved this thread from "General" to the "Care" sub-forum: viewforum.php?f=16
If you check out the 3 main 'sticky' topics in this section, you'll see that they relate to each of your questions: Shedding, Climate, and How to keep your Tam cool during summertime. Those threads should provide more detailed information in relation to your questions. :)

I used to live just outside Houston (Katy) and it was really hot there during the summer. However, if you limit exercise to morning and evening (avoiding the main heat of the day by staying inside with AC on) then a Tam should be able to adapt and cope. ;)
The future lies before you, like a path of pure white snow...
Be careful how you tread it, for every step will show.