HELP 7yr old female tamaskan is STILL destroying my house!!!

Everything about Tamaskan Dogs that does not fit within the other topics in this section.
Annie14
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

HELP 7yr old female tamaskan is STILL destroying my house!!!

Post by Annie14 » Wed May 07, 2014 1:20 pm

Hello everyone

My 7 year old Tamaksan we have had since 7 weeks old has always been a handful but a delight at the same time, we expected she will have some issues arctic dogs always do and we have spent a small fortune on continuous training and behaviorist training to solve her issues but NOTHING works and we end up back to square one and i need advise from other owners what to do.

She destroys walls, doors, skirting board, door frames, front upvc door, kitchen door, scratched glass doors, floors you name it its like butter to her. I walk her everyday on and off lead and play time. she has had doggy day care in the past but that is A,costing a fortune and B, she need someone at home most of the day and an outside lifestyle, we cant give her this, we work all day and there is nothing we can do about this, that's just life. I used to work nearer and came home but not now i work in Medway and my partner London!

To be honest this lifestyle is not in her best interest and selfish from our point of view to fool ourselves she is even remotely happy in her surrounding regardless of everything we are trying to do to make it better for her. I just has the whole house decorated and i came home yesterday to wrecked bedroom door, metal or knob, door frame and wall. We trying crate training when she was a pup she went mental and hurt herself over and over so we took her out and she had run of the kitchen then she went trough the door (was open) and door frame and the baby gate fell off and the list goes on and on and on................

I said she need to go to an owner that is at home and can give her what she needs, but my partner is adamant its all fine this is what dogs do and we will just keep fixing the destruction and carry on nothing is wrong.

HELP PLEASE :(

HiTenshi16
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Re: HELP 7yr old female tamaskan is STILL destroying my hous

Post by HiTenshi16 » Wed May 07, 2014 3:04 pm

Who are your dog's parents? Have you not tried crate training again since the time she hurt herself?

Annie14
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by Annie14 » Wed May 07, 2014 3:08 pm

WE could but she would go mental, if you put her in any space alone she kicks off big time, scratching biting you name it not good the house would be sawdust in a matter of moments we can try it again perhaps its worth a go? i can have her locked in it for 10 hours a day though that's no quality to her life.

Annie14
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by Annie14 » Wed May 07, 2014 3:22 pm

Mother: Tumanra at Blustag (Iola)
Father: Dingo at Blustag (Dingo)

Sylvaen
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Sylvaen » Wed May 07, 2014 6:20 pm

Really sorry to hear this... what a nightmare! :(
Unfortunately, you are correct: NO it is NOT "all fine this is what dogs do" - this is a serious problem, especially if it has been going on for 7 years (!!). It is not normal for adult dogs to go on a daily rampage of destruction. Some of the issues you mention are typical behaviors for young puppies and teenage dogs, but not for an adult dog. It sounds like she is also not happy in this situation and needs a more active / outdoor lifestyle. I know it must be really difficult for you to consider rehoming her and to recognize that this lifestyle is not in her best interest. Since you are away all day, working, and she is home alone, it really is not an ideal situation. It sounds like she probably has separation anxiety and is also very intelligent with a lot of energy and so she is expressing her boredom by being destructive, trying to find something to do all day to occupy her time while her pack is away. Tamaskan Dogs are very social and pack-oriented; they really do best in a household where someone is at home for most of the day, or that has several other dogs for companionship, or if the dog to can be brought to work (at the office, etc) or perhaps friends / family who can help to look after the dog. Aside from rehoming her, do you have any friends or family who can look after her during the day? (either at their house or yours?) Doggy daycare is a solution, but expensive. It really sounds like she needs a home where she will get a lot of attention each day... where she can be active, and play with other dogs too.
The future lies before you, like a path of pure white snow...
Be careful how you tread it, for every step will show.

Katlin
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Katlin » Wed May 07, 2014 7:38 pm

Dear lord...7 years?! No this is not at all normal. I find that with my Tamaskan Wylie, I have to run his ass off every day and he must be constantly stimulated. He has several toys that he can chew or throw around, and we go for 2 1 hour walks or half hour sprints per day. I find he still rips up bags and stuff if I leave them in my room, but other than that he mainly chews his toys. My point being I don't think she's tired enough or stimulated enough. She may be bored, frustrated, or just plain scared.
Polarose Tamaskan
Polardog Outfitters
Owner of Sierra Kaweah RN RI TDI TRN TTDN CRN-MCL @ Polarose

Annie14
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by Annie14 » Wed May 07, 2014 8:48 pm

Its heartbreaking because everything you say i know is true and ive done everything to combat it unless i quiet my job its not geting any better for Tia, I love my dog so much, but its not about me its baout her and whats best for her and i feel like i am failing he because i cant give her what she needs

My parent live in France, we have no family near that have the time or can help, on our own only money to throw at the issue and time we dont have.

Tough times, tough times!!!! :-(

balto13
Tamtastic (Apprentice)
Tamtastic (Apprentice)

Post by balto13 » Wed May 07, 2014 9:50 pm

I am so sorry, it sounds like being stuck between a rock and a hard place with your furbaby :( I wish you the best of luck!

If you do feel like you need to rehome her I believe that there is a breeder in UK that helps rehome, I believe it is Niahani (could somebody confirm, or correct me please)

http://www.nahani.co.uk/about.html

email:

nahani@live.co.uk

tamaskan rescue facebook ( please do not use the tamaskan rescue UK website)

https://www.facebook.com/TamaskanRescue?fref=ts

which ever you chose to do, you're supported and welcomed in the forum. Thanks for coming here so openly and honestly, it helps people to help you :D

Booma
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Booma » Thu May 08, 2014 5:27 am

I'd you pm me your email I can send you my write up on separation anxiety.
Image Image

Annie14
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by Annie14 » Thu May 08, 2014 9:23 am

annie.hurst@gmail.com

thanks everyone

Booma
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Booma » Thu May 08, 2014 1:37 pm

Sent it through. Hope it helps.
Image Image

Tatzel
Tamtastic (Apprentice)
Tamtastic (Apprentice)

Post by Tatzel » Thu May 08, 2014 11:49 pm

How do you exercise her?
JUst a walk and being off leash might not be enough for her if she's got a very high level of energy. Going out with the bike might work for her where she has to run a lot, or even pulling a cart or sled. Since there is husky and mal also in the Tamaskan breed, they have a thing for pulling.

Annie14
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by Annie14 » Fri May 09, 2014 12:15 pm

I walk her and she has off the lead runs over he field on the beach etc, if i put her on a bike id be off it, it would not be safe i feel.
she just need more time and effort something we are looking to address but its going to cost as can't provide it not the level she needs anymore.
:-(

Eventide
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by Eventide » Sat May 10, 2014 8:05 pm

Don't know your living space but maybe you could find someone to move in to be sort of a dog nanny, maybe a college student who could arrange their schedule with yours, and offer room and board in exchange?