Wait List for a Puppy?

Everything about Tamaskan Dogs that does not fit within the other topics in this section.
PatriotsGirl67
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Wait List for a Puppy?

Post by PatriotsGirl67 » Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:04 pm

Hello! Newcomer here!

I fell in love with the Tamaskan a few years ago and have been counting down the days until I can get my own. I'm a college student now so unfortunately no pets in the dorm. My questions are for current owners or people looking into getting a Tamaskan.

1. Were you put on a wait list by the breeder?
2. How long was the wait list (i.e. how long before you were able to get your puppy)?

Sorry if this is personal but I am wondering that if the wait lists are really long, if I should put my name down sooner than later. That way, when it's my turn, I will have graduated and had a stable job for a while. Obviously, I won't get a puppy if the timing turns out to be bad. Other info: I live in the Northeast, so I'm hoping to go with a breeder in America but may look international. I majoring to work in the horse industry, which would ideally let me bring my dog to work. I have no Tamaskan experience but I grew up with a husky mix and have worked in boarding kennels for 5 years and have experience with all types of breeds/dogs.

Thanks in advance for any help!! :D

Katlin
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Re: Wait List for a Puppy?

Post by Katlin » Fri Apr 18, 2014 12:05 am

Hi there and welcome :mrgreen:

While it is beneficial to add your name to a wait list early, many breeders don't like getting requests 5-6 years in advance (from my own experience). Best is to give it about 12-18 months before you actually want your puppy, but be ready to maybe get offers sooner or later.

1. I was put on several wait lists. I started with Blustag, then Blufawn (neither are registered breeders anymore) then I asked WhiteElk and finally Sierra Tamaskan. I was originally hoping for a WhiteElk puppy but their bitch didn't get pregnant so I asked them to transfer my deposit. Most breeders wouldn't do that, and I still paid a fee (totally understandable). I was on Sierra's list last and ended up getting the only puppy from that litter.

2. I was able to get my puppy after the 3-4 months simply because I have been on waiting lists for quite a while and was very active in the Tamaskan community. Generally breeders will have puppies for serious owners within one to two litters, of course this is entirely dependant on multiple factors like the number of puppies in the litter, number of deposits already paid, ect.

Don't count on being able to bring your pup to work, I worked in boarding, vet clinics, and now I'm going into grooming. More often than not you won't be able to bring your puppy for the first few weeks. Especially around horses because of the parasites that exist.

Hope I helped :)
Polarose Tamaskan
Polardog Outfitters
Owner of Sierra Kaweah RN RI TDI TRN TTDN CRN-MCL @ Polarose

Booma
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Booma » Fri Apr 18, 2014 1:16 am

While it can be best to get in as early as possible, i think most breeders would not let you on their waiting list at the moment, because where you live now wont be where you will live with the dog, and they like to ask questions about the house you will have the dog in.
My advice would be to get involved in the tamakan community now, make friends with breeders, and then when the time comes to go on a waiting list, you will have a better idea of who's lines will suit your life style better.
Image Image

Hawthorne
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Hawthorne » Fri Apr 18, 2014 2:50 pm

Hello and welcome!
I have to concur with the above. Most folks spend six months to a year on our waiting list. Any longer than that and I try to refer them to another breeder, unless, of course, that person wants a dog for breeding then the pedigree is more important than not waiting longer :D

I also agree with getting involved in the community. Read all you can about the breed both here and on the TDR website. There is a lot of misinformation about the breed out there available from puppy mills so I'm glad you found us. If you have questions--even seemingly difficult ones--please ask. This breed, like other new breeds, has no lack of drama and convoluted beginnings. That's okay! We're all open and honest.

I don't know where in MA you are, but we are in Harrisburg, PA and you are welcome to visit just about any time. We are expecting a litter at the end of May (fingers crossed) so you could come and meet our three adults and the entire litter if you have free time some time after the end of June-end of July. We have an adult male, and two adult females.

This really is an amazing breed. We tell all our puppy folks that it'll be like no other dog they've owned before and I'm sure they think: "uh huh, this is silly." But really they do come back and say it is like no other breed. They are playful (even our 5 year old is still very playful!), silly, clownish, intelligent, quick to learn, intense, strong, willful….I could go on :) They do love their people and dogs as they are quite pack oriented so once you have one…. well….they're like potato chips. LOL!
Tracy Graziano
http://www.hawthornetamaskan.com

bark as if no one can hear you
catch the ball on the fly
lick like there's no end to kissing
sleep on a sofa nearby
jump like the sky is the limit
sit by the fire with friends
stay with the ones who love you
run like the road never ends

PatriotsGirl67
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by PatriotsGirl67 » Sun Apr 20, 2014 1:40 am

Thank you everyone for the warm welcome! I've never bought a dog from a breeder so just trying to figure out the wait list thing. I guess I have a few more years to wait. Maybe someday someone will board a Tamaskan at my work. (Or maybe they shouldn't- since I would probably spend all my time with it!) :D

Hawthorne- thank you so much for that offer! I am from the South Shore area of MA, but I go to college in central New York, which is a lot closer to you. I'll probably be living there this summer so I might take you up on that offer! :D

Hawthorne
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Hawthorne » Tue Apr 22, 2014 1:25 am

Absolutely. :)
Tracy Graziano
http://www.hawthornetamaskan.com

bark as if no one can hear you
catch the ball on the fly
lick like there's no end to kissing
sleep on a sofa nearby
jump like the sky is the limit
sit by the fire with friends
stay with the ones who love you
run like the road never ends

firleymj
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by firleymj » Tue Apr 22, 2014 4:24 am

Patriots Girl,

I have to echo the sentiment above - I wound up on the list and tried to contribute where I could.

These are wholly remarkable dogs - OK, I'm prejudiced - I am owned by one of them (Hawthorne James Watson, call name Kona) - you can read his "diary" on this forum. http://www.tamaskan-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=4255 And I meant that - it's been a long while between dogs for me, principally because I was so attached to my last mutt, a setter/spaniel mix named "Chips" But Kona (the Lakhota word for "friend") has completely taken my heart.

Kona has brought me a few scares, and moments of such pride and joy that I forgot I could feel that way. He's curious to the point of exasperation, quick to learn (if he wants to), and such a loving and gentle pup that I sometimes forget a lot of the world sees an 84 pound yearling with a more than passing resemblance to his more primitive cousins. Yet that dog (when I was really suffering with a bad bronchitis) went to his crate and gave me a bone and one of his toys to help me feel better, and kept bringing them until I did.

If whatever you pray with or to allows a Tamaskan in your life, may you be blessed with the happiness my Kona has given me. These are no ordinary dogs, they are something completely apart. May you know the joy of becoming part of their pack.

Mark
My goal in life is to be as good of a person as my dog already thinks I am. ~Author Unknown
The greatest love is a mother's; then a dog's; then a sweetheart's. ~Polish Proverb

The human of Ch.(ARBA) and Ch.(KCUSA) Hawthorne James Watson (call name Kona)

http://www.anthracitetamaskan.com