Differences beetwen Tamaskan lines

Everything about Tamaskan Dogs that does not fit within the other topics in this section.
Balto
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Differences beetwen Tamaskan lines

Post by Balto » Thu Jan 30, 2014 5:37 pm

im very curious about dissimilaritys between those Tamaskan who have many Utonagans in their ancestry, or those with Northern Inuits, or with Czechoslovakian wolfdogs, or those who have many Siberian Huskys.. and for those who have Wolfdogs..
are there any visible, especially in temperament?

Tana
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Re: Differences beetwen Tamaskan lines

Post by Tana » Thu Jan 30, 2014 11:58 pm

I can tell you about two dogs I know: Tana and Volkec.

Tana has mostly Utonagans, Polar speed huskies and some Czechoslovakian wolfdogs in her ancestry. Volkec is out of Jodie (American Wolfdog X husky) and Jackal (CSW X husky).

Similarities: You can see they are at the same "wavelength", have same "sense of humor", that they belong to the same breed. They are both very loving, social, friendly, outgoing, stable, without any aggression and fear and also independent like northern breeds should be. They both love to work, if they get something in return and both have (had) problems with SA.

Differences: hmm in Volkec you can feel he is not just a regular dog, that is something about him, that makes him different. Hard to explain. He is more intense, with low self-control (main difference!), has extreme food drive, "hungry like a wolf". Prey drive-nothing special. His life guide is searching for food an eating everything edible. Amazing dog to work with. Very motivated and soo excited for obedience and tricks (IF he is hungry, otherwise bye bye mommy, LOL). Dream dog for SAR. BUT also very independent, confident. You need to be 100% consistent, calm, assertive all the time, otherwise you are not his boss. He needs rules, boundaries, limitations otherwise everything belongs to him, if you know what I mean. He needs to know what is right and what is wrong and what are the consequences, including for doing something wrong. Otherwise he is unhappy, becomes strenuous, a real nightmare for many people. Definetely not for everyone. For a few people actually, who would be working with him and be 100% comitted to him.

Tana: more husky-like. I think you could compare her to Balto. She likes to hunt (toys, mice and humans are the only options now, heh). She is gentle, sweet, sensitive, submissive and also naughty, mischievous, playful, active, lively. She loves to work too, but kinda prefers toys over food. When we went with friends, who have a CSW and husky, for a walk, it was interesting and fun to observe them and compare the characters. She is something in between, slightly more to the side of husky than CSW, with some characteristics similar to Volkec.

Balto
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by Balto » Fri Jan 31, 2014 9:14 am

thanks Tana :)

i would like to know much more about their dissimilaritys, to see which line is better suit for me and Balto..
i like how you describe Tana, Balto is also submissive and also naughty, mischievous, playful, active, lively.. but he don´t like toys, he is more like Volkec in that part, he works only for food and will do almost everything, he eats anythnig i put in his bowl..
he has very strong prey drive to hunt animals, but almost nothing to play with toys.. and i don´t like that part about hunting..

hope you will come to Croatia soon, so i can see Tana in person, and maybe you can bring that CWS also :D

Tana
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by Tana » Fri Jan 31, 2014 10:52 am

Balto wrote:thanks Tana :)
No problem :)
Balto wrote:i would like to know much more about their dissimilaritys, to see which line is better suit for me and Balto..
I described you two dogs with different ancestors. For talking about different lines, I think is too soon. And also characters can vary from dog to dog. In case of Tana I believe that all her siblings have similar (husky-like) character and that most Tamaskans are closer to that version. In case of Volkec, we were told by owners of his siblings that they have or had (I don't know for now) problems with them. With aggression, probably with fear to. They are definitely not easy for handle. Volkec is, in my opinion, the exception rather than the rule.
Balto wrote:but almost nothing to play with toys

I am quite suprised about this in Tana. It is probably due to the training, where I was (apparently) doing something right, hehe.
Balto wrote:hope you will come to Croatia soon, so i can see Tana in person, and maybe you can bring that CWS also :D
Hahaha we will see what we can do ;)

Balto
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by Balto » Fri Jan 31, 2014 4:54 pm

maybe it is too soon, but i think that there must be some main differencies, those that represent certain breed..
its too bad that those one with wolf lines are harder to work, as i heard that one of the best dogs for SAR is Luppo Italiano, because of his wolf heritage..
there´s no other then to meet all of them, first i have get to know Debby´s pack :)
Volkec is from Slovenia too? how many Tamaskans and Cws are in Sloveina?

i was trying with Balto the toys also, i learned him to bring back a ball and to search it in tall grass, 2 types of ball :D , he will not run when someone else trows a ball that isn´t his.. maybe in rare ocasions he will steal someones ball just to play chase game :lol:
but his focus on toys is very weak, not even coparable on focus that he has with food, especially with "hrenovke" :D

Tana
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by Tana » Fri Jan 31, 2014 8:21 pm

Balto wrote:its too bad that those one with wolf lines are harder to work, as i heard that one of the best dogs for SAR is Luppo Italiano, because of his wolf heritage..
Yes, I know... We discussed about that in some other topic. I am definitely for keeping "working line", but it is hard, because this type has special needs and most people want just wolfy-looking pet. It is difficult to find balance in breeding. Luppo Italiano is an amazing breed for SAR, but I am sure, they have special needs too. It is harder to live with them, training part is easy :)
Balto wrote:there´s no other then to meet all of them, first i have get to know Debby´s pack :)
Volkec is from Slovenia too?
Hehe I wanted to ask you, if you already met them... Yes, Volkec is owned by friend of mine. We trained SAR togheter. :)
Balto wrote:how many Tamaskans and Cws are in Sloveina?
Tamaskans: two :P CSWs: I don't know. 10-20. Maybe more. We got first American Wolfdog couple of months ago :)
Balto wrote:i was trying with Balto the toys also, i learned him to bring back a ball and to search it in tall grass, 2 types of ball :D , he will not run when someone else trows a ball that isn´t his.. maybe in rare ocasions he will steal someones ball just to play chase game :lol:
Volkec will go after a ball and bring it back, if you give him food for return. He will diiieee for "hrenovke" and after that he will also eat a half of your hand :lol: