Tamaskan + full time job

Everything about Tamaskan Dogs that does not fit within the other topics in this section.
Conley
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Tamaskan + full time job

Post by Conley » Fri Jan 10, 2014 3:56 pm

My Wife and I both work full time jobs, 40 hours a week. Monday- Friday

although she only does 4 hours on Wednesdays and I the same on Fridays.

I also have 2 cats, Sphynx and a Blue Russian that do whatever they want while we are away.
Would these two cats be enough of a companion for a Tamaskan while we are away at work?

Any information, good or bad, would be very helpful in our decision if a Tamaskan would be a good fit for us.

HiTenshi16
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Re: Tamaskan + full time job

Post by HiTenshi16 » Fri Jan 10, 2014 5:16 pm

It all can depend on the individual dog, your cats, or your work schedule. My husband and I both work in retail and each get 35 - 40 hours (he a little less because his manager won't let him get full time back), and we are gone different times of the day. Sometimes I leave for work first and then he leaves 3 - 5 hours later, sometimes we leave about the same time and the dogs are home alone for 8 hours, sometimes he or I are home all day while the other is at work.
We had only one dog before we got our first Tamaskan. Now we have that same dog, 2 Tamaskans, and 2 cats. The Tamaskans stay in crates while we are gone, our other dog gets free roam of the house (because she has separation anxiety from my husband and can't handle staying in a crate), and the cats get free roaming of the house. Of course we also regularly take the dogs for walks, visit dog parks, and play with them while at home.

But we could just be an exception.

Other Tamaskans might not be able to handle this life style as perhaps some might develop separation anxiety, others might become too bored and find their own way to stimulate their minds while you are gone.

Again, it comes down to the individual dog, how your cats would keep the dog entertained, your work scheduling, and what you do to keep your dogs minds stimulated while you are with them.

Booma
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Booma » Fri Jan 10, 2014 7:10 pm

Some people would say no straight out. I think it depends on many things. For an 8 week old puppy, no this is not an ideal situation - however, if you got a puppy sitter, took your dog to daycare, organised play dates etc then it could work. Cats do not generally want to play with dogs, so they will more than likely not be enough company, especially for a puppy.
Image Image

chelle784
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by chelle784 » Sat Jan 11, 2014 7:27 pm

My husband and I also have full time jobs but we are similar to Jo in that we sometimes don't leave the house at the same time. We only have one Tamaskan but in the future we are planning on getting another dog.

For the first time last week she was left alone for 8 hours and she seemed ok but this was the first and only time we have done this so far. She is 9 months at the moment. Normally I have a mixture of working at home or going into the office. If I am going into the office I only live 10minutes away so I come back partway through the day to take her for a walk.

Our Tamaskan, Pepper, showed signs of separation anxiety when we moved home (but there was no change in time of her being left alone). We moved 4 months ago and now she seems to have improved (no longer barks when we leave the house).

Conley
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by Conley » Mon Jan 13, 2014 5:50 pm

This is great information, and i really appreciate not simply giving the flat out "NO!" answer. i have always been one to respond "but why not?", it's easier to accept a "no" when there is solid information to back it up.

This information sounds promising, but me and my wife have decided to wait for us to have a better opportunity to take care of a Tamaskan, a pup especially. I will be changing jobs shortly, and the wife will be moving super close to home.

Thanks everyone for the good feedback.

Tiantai
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Tiantai » Sun Jan 19, 2014 5:47 am

I know some people with full time jobs (friends of one of my cousins to be exact) are able to bring their huskies to work. But I don't know about your case though as I understand that most work place forbid this. Regardless, I wish you the best of luck in getting this sorted out

gbarlow
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by gbarlow » Wed Jan 22, 2014 10:43 pm

Not entirely sure why you would take on the responsibility of a dog if your spending so much time away from home. Also, sorry, but i think leaving a dog in a crate for 8 hours to fit in with your lifestyle is wrong, especially a large breed dog like a Tamaskan.

chelle784
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by chelle784 » Thu Jan 23, 2014 1:35 am

but nobody here says they crate their dog for 8 hours every day :s The OP also mentioned that they wouldn't be getting a dog now until their situation changes and his wife moves closer to home which I assume suggested she would pop in during the day. It does as everyone has said here, depend on the dog. Although I have the option of working from home a few days every week I know that some people don't have this benefit but I still don't think dogs should only be reserved for the people who work from home/can take the dog to work.

Just because someone is there a lot at home with the dog doesn't mean they are automatically responsible. I know families who have a dog where someone is with them all the time yet they never take them on walks, especially here during the winter. In the summer i used to pass at least 10 dogs per walk but right now I pass 0 every day. Our dog goes on 4-6 walks every day (weekdays) which is more than some people who don't have full time jobs do.

Hawthorne
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Hawthorne » Thu Jan 23, 2014 5:55 pm

For a situation like this, I like to see previous dog experience. I feel that proper training in helping the dog be alone, especially for this breed, is highly important. If folks don't have previous dog experience, this breed may be too much for them. Also, I like to ask if people are willing to learn from your dog (because you will! Or should I say: you better! LOL) For some individuals you have to have the patience of a saint to crate train them. As a breeder, I supply detailed instructions--but they are only that. I cannot force people to prescribe my training techniques. But they've worked on my dogs--so there's something to say about that.
If, even now, you are only both gone 3 days a week I think that is do-able. But know you will need ample amounts of time in the beginning to set the puppy up for success. Remember: doggy day care can serve two-fold for you: to socialize your pup, and to ease into the longer periods when he/she must be alone.
On a personal note, our lifestyles have changed. My husband and I both work full time now. My dogs are home 4 days a week alone. I go home at lunch to let them out for 30 minutes but by the end they are tired and go back in the house and happily sleep. We take them on long walks in the morning before work to tire them out and to make them happy. We have watched them via webcam and the only thing that gets them up is when the neighbors are making noise. Otherwise, with plenty of water and toys, they are very content.
It comes down to: how dedicated are you going to be to the dog in general? Will you take him/ her to lots of different training courses (obedience, manners, agility, etc.) to increase the bond and workability of the dog? I think you will find the more you work with this breed, the happier, more well-adusted individual you will have. These guys are smart and they deserve an active, involved human family :0)
Tracy Graziano
http://www.hawthornetamaskan.com

bark as if no one can hear you
catch the ball on the fly
lick like there's no end to kissing
sleep on a sofa nearby
jump like the sky is the limit
sit by the fire with friends
stay with the ones who love you
run like the road never ends

chelle784
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by chelle784 » Thu Jan 23, 2014 6:14 pm

We have also recorded our dog and the only time she wakes up is when I come back during the day to take her out. If she gets her exercise, she just sleeps forever. I am working from home today and she's been asleep in the other room since 8 (it is now gone 12). She hasn't come to me at all. When she is awake it's another story, she is glued to my feet. However I don't expect her to wake up until about 4 or 5 based on her current pattern.

She was in different puppy/obedience classes from 8 weeks until about 20 weeks. We want to take her to more but at the moment it is trying to find the right class. I am a first time dog owner (as I don't include family pets) so although I have experience with dogs (family dogs, dog sitting), I didn't have experience with owning my own dog as an adult. However for me, it makes it easier when 2 of you are sharing the responsibility.

gbarlow
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by gbarlow » Fri Jan 24, 2014 12:25 am

chelle784 wrote:but nobody here says they crate their dog for 8 hours every day :s
HiTenshi16 wrote:…….sometimes we leave about the same time and the dogs are home alone for 8 hours…...The Tamaskans stay in crates while we are gone
Lets be honest, most people don't put a dog in a crate when they aren't there for the dogs benefit. :roll:

chelle784
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by chelle784 » Fri Jan 24, 2014 1:01 am

She said 'sometimes.' Also not all of the dogs in her house are crated so again it shows how each dog is different.

We didn't crate our dog after about 4 months. Then one day she pulled a large nail from the skirting board when we were out. The vet told us to go back to crating her for her own safety. and no the nail wasn't sticking out before so it couldn't have been prevented. Although I agree with you that it also benefits the owners in some cases where they will know their house will be destroyed f they don't, it def is also to benefit the dog. It also acts as a tool to potty train a pup. Our dog didn't destroy the house when left uncrated even our shoes which were always unprotected by the door. She would also be really hyper when we got back because she had been running around. Now that she is crated (since the nail incident) she is calmer in the crate and safer. She is only 9months old so ideally for me I am hoping to stop this when she is older but I understand that some dogs need to be crated at all times when left unattended.

HiTenshi16
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by HiTenshi16 » Fri Jan 24, 2014 1:07 am

gbarlow wrote:
chelle784 wrote:but nobody here says they crate their dog for 8 hours every day :s
HiTenshi16 wrote:…….sometimes we leave about the same time and the dogs are home alone for 8 hours…...The Tamaskans stay in crates while we are gone
Lets be honest, most people don't put a dog in a crate when they aren't there for the dogs benefit. :roll:
You do love coming here just to start trouble, don't you, as that seems to be the pattern each time you come on here.
Notice I said sometimes. They are not alone for 8 hours everyday, it does not happen often that my husband and I work the same shift schedule and they are left in the crates for 8 hours, if anything maybe once or twice a month.