Local owners

Everything about Tamaskan Dogs that does not fit within the other topics in this section.
Gordon1
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Local owners

Post by Gordon1 » Mon Dec 23, 2013 9:54 am

Hi folks my partner and myself got 2 pups (boy and girl) from alba tamaskan Scotland 4 weeks ago, we live in Aberdeenshire and was wondering if there were any other tamaskan owners local to us or anybody on here that has had pups/dogs from alba and if so what's there thoughts and how are there pups/dogs. Would be good to meet/talk with other owners.

Hope to hear back from owners soon.

Regards Gordon

HiTenshi16
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Re: Local owners

Post by HiTenshi16 » Mon Dec 23, 2013 2:17 pm

We are not local but our boy is from Alba and recently turned 4 years old. Love him to bits!

Gordon1
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by Gordon1 » Tue Dec 24, 2013 12:15 am

Brilliant thanks for reply, how was the dog as a pup and training wise??

HiTenshi16
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by HiTenshi16 » Tue Dec 24, 2013 3:50 am

He was always a fun curious pup, easy to train as he would catch on quick and loves to learn. He loves to think, puzzle games are his favorite, he is also very laid back.

Gordon1
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by Gordon1 » Fri Dec 27, 2013 8:04 pm

Very different from our two pups then! Have been hearing mixed reviews about alba in Scotland's litters also just wondered if anybody on here had any issues etc with the pups or breeder.

Booma
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Booma » Sun Dec 29, 2013 1:31 pm

Do you have two pups at once? Everything will be different than if you just had one pup.
Image Image

Gordon1
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by Gordon1 » Tue Dec 31, 2013 3:16 am

Hi, yeah we couldn't decide on which pup to go for and was advised by the breeder that getting 2 was a good idea as the pups would have themselves to keep each other company and not need as much attention from myself and partner and also said for that reason it would help for when our baby arrives April 2014.
Our pups are unlike what tamaskan pups are described as being like the will eat try to destroy anything they can get hold of, the female constantly bites or tries too, toilet training doesn't seen to be working well either and now they try eat the puppy training pads so we have removed those, the female seems worse she will eat her own poo her sickness due to this and other things she tries to consume then tries to eat the sickness also, we have tried all methods recommended for these and any pups really but they just seem to be getting worse and not learning at all.

Vajente
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by Vajente » Tue Dec 31, 2013 10:50 am

Gordon1 wrote:Hi, yeah we couldn't decide on which pup to go for and was advised by the breeder that getting 2 was a good idea as the pups would have themselves to keep each other company and not need as much attention from myself and partner and also said for that reason it would help for when our baby arrives April 2014.
that's a terrible advise imho :?
2 pups need twice as much attention, you need too work with each off them separately or otherwise they will only learn from each other and puppy's can't learn good behavior from another puppy.
If you do not have the time to work with them separately I would suggest re-homing one of them. Just one puppy will make everything a whole lot easier, the puppy will turn to you for guidance instead of to it's brother/sister.

Nino
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Nino » Tue Dec 31, 2013 11:36 am

Two puppies at once is a GIANT responsibility.. They need separate training, separate walks and separate stimuli to ensure that they will grow up to become well rounded and well behaved dogs.

It sounds very much like you have bitten over more than you can chew and that your puppies are quite under stimulated and needs to be worked a LOT apart, specially with the information that you are expecting a baby by April, ONE puppy is a handful (I do not know if you have already got children but if not You will be surprised by how much it changes your life!), two puppy and a infant (specially the first one) is too much for most people! Specially if you are not used to having dogs and have an older dog who can teach the puppy how to act.

I would suggest that you at least consider following the advice of Vajente. Rehoming one (remember to contact the breeder to get their help rehoming) would help you out both with the puppy you keep, and the puppy that go would have a bigger chance at growing up without problems.
>> Nino <<

Sylvaen
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Sylvaen » Tue Dec 31, 2013 2:38 pm

Gordon1 wrote:Hi, yeah we couldn't decide on which pup to go for and was advised by the breeder that getting 2 was a good idea as the pups would have themselves to keep each other company and not need as much attention from myself and partner and also said for that reason it would help for when our baby arrives April 2014.
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA.... I'm sorry to laugh but that is the most backward logic I've ever heard. One Tamaskan puppy can be a handful (requiring 24/7 supervision) but TWO Tamaskan puppies?! That's at least double, if not triple, the work... (while you are dealing with / cleaning up after one, the other is being destructive / making a mess... so you are constantly 2 steps behind and dashing backwards and forwards to keep everything under control). It can be very stressful and time-consuming so I would never recommend two puppies, at the same time, to anyone. It IS a good idea for a Tamaskan puppy to have another dog as a companion but I usually recommend an older, stable, mature dog (which the puppy will learn from)... as that will cut down your workload, rather than increase it.

On the bright side, your baby isn't due until April so you still have a bit of time to figure out a plan of action... rehoming a puppy probably would be the most logical solution but it can also be difficult, especially if you have already grown attached to both of them. Perhaps you have a close friend or family member nearby who can take one off your hands, which you would still be able to see on a regular basis? If you do decide to keep both puppies, at the very least it would be necessary to enlist outside help or dedicate more time to their individual training (separately). Good luck though, whatever you decide...
The future lies before you, like a path of pure white snow...
Be careful how you tread it, for every step will show.

chelle784
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by chelle784 » Wed Jan 01, 2014 9:55 pm

I recently spoke to some people who bought 2 puppies. Even thought the mum was home 100% of the time, she found that potty training was so difficult. She said that as soon as one seemed trained, another would have an accident then mess up the training for the other. The place where we took Pepper to obedience classes told people who had 2 pups not to bring them to the same class so they had to come on 2 different nights every week for each dog.

Tiantai
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Tiantai » Wed Jan 01, 2014 10:17 pm

I fail to see why Liz would think that two puppies would be less work. I had a headache with my Snoopy, who is a 1/4 Malamute and 3/4 husky, and coupled with all of the chihuahuas who often swarmed around the yard and house. The one medium spitz was enough of a challenge from puppyhood to adolescent and I cannot imagine bringing home two arctic spitz pups at the same time myself. However, I'm not saying that it is impossible to keep two pups well-managed. One owner in the US, Angie, has Paka and Fable. She got them both from J&J and is a very responsible owner from my impression so far.

I think the two puppy trick would only work with Maremmas or labrador. But in the case with the former, a senior dog is required to keep them cooperating and most farmers who train these dogs for protecting livestocks and chasing away coyotes are usually successful when the dogs are not well-bonded to them but to each other and the sheeps. But when people bring these dogs into urban house-life, they also become a challenge.

arianwenarie
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by arianwenarie » Wed Jan 01, 2014 10:40 pm

Tiantai wrote:I think the two puppy trick would only work with Maremmas or labrador.
I don't think it's really down to the breed with the two-puppy thing; moreso the temperaments of the puppies themselves - and they can be any breed. I had a pet sitting client who was given the same advice - take 2 puppies instead of 1 as they'll teach each other. bad idea. Only one of the lab pups was rather stable in temperament, but the other one was off the walls high energy, which in turn caused the calmer one to get anxious all the time. Taking care of the two was a complete handful for me and I only did it for 2 nights. lol.

Sylvaen
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Sylvaen » Wed Jan 01, 2014 11:27 pm

Tiantai wrote:One owner in the US, Angie, has Paka and Fable. She got them both from J&J and is a very responsible owner from my impression so far.
This is incorrect. Angie got one puppy (Paka) and Angie's relative got Paka's sister (Fable). After a while, Angie's relative could no longer care for Fable, so Angie adopted Fable and now both Paka and Fable live together. This is a big difference compared to knowingly getting 2 young puppies AT THE SAME TIME and raising them together 24/7 right from the start... it is much easier to focus on ONE puppy at a time and then, after a while, getting another puppy of the same age.
The future lies before you, like a path of pure white snow...
Be careful how you tread it, for every step will show.

Tiantai
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Tiantai » Fri Jan 03, 2014 2:58 am

Well on the common level, I highly lean against getting two puppies at the same time. But I'm at least happy that Gordon made public of all this. I will like to speak with Liz later on when I have time. Reading this has tweaked my curiosity to be honest. Don't get me wrong, I do not believe Liz is doing anything bad intentionally, just that it has gotten me curious.

HiTenshi16
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by HiTenshi16 » Sat Jan 04, 2014 3:52 am

Don't forget about White Elk Tamaskan, who got their girls at the same time. They may be worth contacting for advice on raising two puppies at once since they have the experience.