The Beverly Tamaskans (reflections on the ARBA show)

Everything about Tamaskan Dogs that does not fit within the other topics in this section.
firleymj
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

The Beverly Tamaskans (reflections on the ARBA show)

Post by firleymj » Thu Nov 28, 2013 3:41 pm

I wanted to write a little about the background of our first ARBA show, it started about as inauspiciously as possible: it seems we didn't get all the required instructions and paperwork. We arrived in minivans with our dogs, while Recreational Vehicles the size of small houseboats disgorged teams of stylists, handlers, and staff for the other entrants. More than once we felt the cold stares of some of the competitors (One could almost hear "What are those doing here?" Now some of that is just competition, but some of it was us and the "primitive" nature of our breed. Confession: I got points deducted because I didn't prance properly so Kona could show his "trotting" gait. [I contend that "real sled dogs don't trot, they lope or run", but that's beside the point.] We didn't even have "competition" leashes (we were told to expect suppliers on site, and there were none), so Ben fashioned leads out of paracord to make a minimum standard lead.

But when the officials started handing out ribbons, I was shocked (granted, this wasn't Westminster, but we did have real competitors). The "poor relations" were finishing in ribbon country against people and dogs for whom "dog shows" are apparently a "life style" (No criticism, just that our objectives were wholly different)

For those of you not familiar with 1960s US Television, there was a long-running "comedy of manners" show called "The Beverly Hillbillies" about a family of poor backwoods folks who discover oil on their property, and are persuaded to relocate to Beverly Hills, California (then one of the country's most expensive and glamorous neighborhoods). I felt a curious kinship to the country "bumpkins" who were both adapting to the "movie star life" and getting the best of their more "refined" neighbors.

Accordingly, I offer this parody version of the show's theme song:

The Beverly Tamaskans

[Opening theme]

Come and listen to my story
Of a great dog breed
But no dog club would
Pay them any heed
And then one day in wilds of New Jersey
Tamaskans made some canine history

We’re a breed now, wait and see.

Well the first thing you know
Our dogs are recognized
ARBA said “you’re now legitimized”
Said “Our dog show is where you need to start”
So we loaded up our trucks
And drove to Monmouth Park

Against fancy dogs, movie stars.

[Closing theme]

Well now it's time to say
Goodby to Freya and her kin,
They would like to thank
You folks for kindly droppin' in.
You're all invited back again to this locality
To have a heapin' helpin' of Tamaskan lovin’ glee.

Howl a bit, sit a spell, take your leash off.

Y'all come back now, y'heel?
My goal in life is to be as good of a person as my dog already thinks I am. ~Author Unknown
The greatest love is a mother's; then a dog's; then a sweetheart's. ~Polish Proverb

The human of Ch.(ARBA) and Ch.(KCUSA) Hawthorne James Watson (call name Kona)

http://www.anthracitetamaskan.com

Sylvaen
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Re: The Beverly Tamaskans (reflections on the ARBA show)

Post by Sylvaen » Thu Nov 28, 2013 4:25 pm

haha it sounds like it was a fun event and a real learning experience... wish we could have been there!
I'll definitely look into UCI dog shows here in Europe though :)
The future lies before you, like a path of pure white snow...
Be careful how you tread it, for every step will show.

aerowrx
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Re: The Beverly Tamaskans (reflections on the ARBA show)

Post by aerowrx » Fri Nov 29, 2013 9:51 pm

So show up with a rented trailer next time and fancy assessories