Tail tip: black or white?

Everything about Tamaskan Dogs that does not fit within the other topics in this section.
Hawthorne
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Tail tip: black or white?

Post by Hawthorne » Tue Sep 17, 2013 2:58 pm

Just for fun, there was a pack of coyotes in Yellowstone in Little America that had white tail tips. I just happened to stumble on my old footage which clearly shows this coyotes white tipped tail. I have only ever seen white tips in this pack and nowhere else :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tracy Graziano
http://www.hawthornetamaskan.com

bark as if no one can hear you
catch the ball on the fly
lick like there's no end to kissing
sleep on a sofa nearby
jump like the sky is the limit
sit by the fire with friends
stay with the ones who love you
run like the road never ends

Rahne

Re: Tail tip: black or white?

Post by Rahne » Tue Sep 17, 2013 3:48 pm

Maybe one of them cross bred with a dog in the past... could explain why it is only this pack :)

HiTenshi16
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by HiTenshi16 » Tue Sep 17, 2013 7:27 pm

I'm always reminded of a fox when I see a white tip. I like the way black tipped tails look better.
Really cool to see that in a coyote!

chelle784
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by chelle784 » Wed Sep 18, 2013 1:59 am

Reminds me of this little fellow i saw in banff a couple of years ago. I don't recall his tail being black tipped. I'm going to have to look at my old laptop for other photos I took to make sure
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Hawthorne
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Hawthorne » Thu Sep 19, 2013 2:33 pm

The biologist I was working with at the time believed it was a genetic mutation. I doubt very much that a pack of coyotes in the middle of Yellowstone bred with a dog. It's very remote. Coyotes don't breed with dogs unless there is no other option for them. Under "normal" conditions, coyotes will kill dogs if they are found in their home range during breeding season (January - March).
Tracy Graziano

sleep on a sofa nearby

Tiantai
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Tiantai » Sun Sep 22, 2013 1:23 am

It is possible that it is a genetic mutation, however, it would also be wrong to simply rule out the possibility that there is dog in it too. Much like how male wolves will breed with female coyotes if the wolf population in a particular area is severely diminished as had once happened to the Mexican Grey wolves in the south whom were so depleted by persecution that some of the males mated with the southern coyotes, it's possible that somewhere in the past a great-grandparent of that coyote you caught in the photo MIGHT have been a Coydog hybrid and then that hybrid backcrossed with a pure and the dog gene got diluted but still exists.

Here's an example of another "coyote" with an unusual colour which some believe may be a coydog, in this case, the animal has a white collar neck:

Hawthorne
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Hawthorne » Thu Sep 26, 2013 5:14 am

Haha. I'm at the Jackson Hole Wildlife Film Festival and just happened to bump into another filmmaker who basically did the same film I did. Eight years ago, I completed a film about the genetic differences between eastern and western coyotes. She just completed the same, and filmed in many of the same places (Algonquin, the coyote hunt in Pennsylvania). The film will air on CBC sometime soon. So weird to have bumped into her in a line to get coffee.
Apparently, some new research duplicated the findings of Dr. Robert Chambers who found wolf genes in Eastern coyotes. Fun stuff.
Tracy Graziano

sleep on a sofa nearby

Sololupo
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by Sololupo » Thu Sep 26, 2013 8:39 pm

Tiantai wrote:It is possible that it is a genetic mutation, however, it would also be wrong to simply rule out the possibility that there is dog in it too. Much like how male wolves will breed with female coyotes if the wolf population in a particular area is severely diminished as had once happened to the Mexican Grey wolves in the south whom were so depleted by persecution that some of the males mated with the southern coyotes, it's possible that somewhere in the past a great-grandparent of that coyote you caught in the photo MIGHT have been a Coydog hybrid and then that hybrid backcrossed with a pure and the dog gene got diluted but still exists.

Here's an example of another "coyote" with an unusual colour which some believe may be a coydog, in this case, the animal has a white collar neck:

Is that poor dog in a trap..his front left foot ?????

Sylvaen
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Sylvaen » Thu Sep 26, 2013 10:59 pm

Sololupo wrote:Is that poor dog in a trap..his front left foot ?????
Yes :( :(
Horrible photo...
The future lies before you, like a path of pure white snow...
Be careful how you tread it, for every step will show.

Tiantai
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Tiantai » Fri Sep 27, 2013 6:33 pm

Unfortunately yes it was caught in a trap. Though it was the only pictorial example I was able to provide. If i had another photo example I would have used that over this one.