Why do Tams from the US look different from ones in the UK?

Everything about Tamaskan Dogs that does not fit within the other topics in this section.
JenTehLuv
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Why do Tams from the US look different from ones in the UK?

Post by JenTehLuv » Wed Jun 12, 2013 7:01 am

I recently noticed that certain breeders in the US have dogs with different coats than Tams in the UK. I really like the looks of the tams from the UK because they look very wolfy and I love their coat density and colors. I was wondering why this happens. I don't know if its the change in climate or what but the dogs from the US don't look as wolfy (fur has a different density, not as much fur around the cheeks or body as a whole). I'm not saying the dogs from the US aren't as good or that they aren't great looking, I just thought I'd bring the topic up. Any thoughts or explanations?

weylyn

Re: Why do Tams from the US look different from ones in the

Post by weylyn » Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:09 am

one thing is indeed the climit that makes the furr different but the other factor is also that some in the UK have more wolfcontent in them as the ones in the US have nothing or almost nothing ;)

HiTenshi16
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by HiTenshi16 » Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:57 am

weylyn wrote:one thing is indeed the climit that makes the furr different but the other factor is also that some in the UK have more wolfcontent in them as the ones in the US have nothing or almost nothing ;)
Which ones with wolf content have longer or more dense coats? From photos, they appear to me to have shorter coats (the only ones I can think of atm are Kona and Naima, sisters from the Golden litter, but they live in the US and look like they have shorter coats).

I have noticed Alba dogs seem to have nice longer or more dense coats in my opinion, at lease from the lines of Odin (Moonstone Make-Me-Pure @ Alba) like Blaze, Ulric and Ruby who live in the US, and Sampo and Okami on the other side of the pond.

juice
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by juice » Wed Jun 12, 2013 12:50 pm

Dylan is an alba boy and his coat is a lot thicker than the girls. lexi's (blustag girl) coat is better than Alaska (blufawn girl). I thought the girls would have better coats as we live in Scotland uk and it is cooler here than other parts of uk. also without having lexi checked for wolf content but looking at her pedigree she may have a larger content than most but her coat is not thick. also a lot of alba dogs are in kennels and mine are indoor dogs, I think that has a lot to do with things as we humans have central heating and this affects the coats of indoor dogs.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

JenTehLuv
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by JenTehLuv » Thu Jun 13, 2013 9:10 am

I love certain Tams here in the US such as the tarheel breeders (kana is such a beautiful dog IMO) and Sierra has a gorgeous Tam as well, but again I wasn't sure if it was just climate that changed the looks of the dogs (some other tams don't look as solid or as thick as some other dogs I've seen. They look sleeker). Again I don't want to come off as insulting or anything, I was just wondering why some look like they have denser coats/look more...bulky I guess is the word lol. While others look sleek and seem to have shorter coats.

Katlin
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Katlin » Thu Jun 13, 2013 9:42 am

Well Sierra's dog (Leilah) is out of Nevada X Jackal. Jackal had a "medium" coat, not too dense and not long. Nevada on the other hand has a very thick, very plushy coat. My puppy Wylie is out of Leilah X Darwin and it's the same idea. Darwin has a thick coat but Leilah's coat is longer. Wylie has his mom and Gramma's coat, very thick and very long...makes for wonderful furballs everywhere >_<

Polarose Tamaskan
Polardog Outfitters
Owner of Sierra Kaweah RN RI TDI TRN TTDN CRN-MCL @ Polarose

weylyn

Post by weylyn » Thu Jun 13, 2013 1:16 pm

HiTenshi16 wrote:
weylyn wrote:one thing is indeed the climit that makes the furr different but the other factor is also that some in the UK have more wolfcontent in them as the ones in the US have nothing or almost nothing ;)
Which ones with wolf content have longer or more dense coats? From photos, they appear to me to have shorter coats (the only ones I can think of atm are Kona and Naima, sisters from the Golden litter, but they live in the US and look like they have shorter coats).

I have noticed Alba dogs seem to have nice longer or more dense coats in my opinion, at lease from the lines of Odin (Moonstone Make-Me-Pure @ Alba) like Blaze, Ulric and Ruby who live in the US, and Sampo and Okami on the other side of the pond.
Brothers and sisters and himself of course of my Avak ;) . I do must say that those form the Jackal line do have shorter coats also here. But I do think it is the combination of the line they are from and the weather......

Vajente
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by Vajente » Thu Jun 13, 2013 3:28 pm

well Ravi is from Jackal but deff got his coat from his malamute mother

Tiantai
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Tiantai » Thu Jun 13, 2013 7:01 pm

The different looks really depend on the lines that they originated from. Keep in mind that outcrosses were added into some of the more recent breedings in Europe such as Bobbi the Saarloos, Nanna the Siberian Husky, etc. And hopefully in the future Ziva will be tried again to bring in new genes that may also result with some newer coat colours (conforming to the standard but a bit different in looks). Too bad the attempt failed this year though. In my opinion, the Tarheel lines look more wolf-like than most of the others in North America. There is Jaeger who is half Saarloos and several of his pups have his more wolfish look, but there is also Raven, grandpuppy of Blaze who inherited his coat off Freyja, her mother and the daughter of that bright red-grey alpha male.

Booma
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Booma » Thu Jun 13, 2013 11:23 pm

Don't forget that people have different ideas of what looks wolfy.
Image Image

Eventide
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by Eventide » Tue Jun 18, 2013 6:28 pm

Kylievr wrote:Don't forget that people have different ideas of what looks wolfy.

And many different types of wolves as well.

iamnic
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by iamnic » Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:56 pm

I agree with all of you, and I think climate is a HUGE factor.

I have Naima and Kona, and we're in Los Angeles--where it rarely dips below 70 F. Compared to their other siblings, my girls' coats looks significantly shorter, even moreso now that it's summer. They definitely don't have the opportunity to grow in that nice thick winter coat (though they still blow enough fur to make me think they did). Between the two of them, Naima has a longer/thicker coat than Kona, and it's been that way since they were pups. No clue why.

Sylvaen
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Sylvaen » Wed Jun 19, 2013 9:55 am

iamnic wrote:Between the two of them, Naima has a longer/thicker coat than Kona, and it's been that way since they were pups. No clue why.
It's genetic ;)
Some pups just have naturally longer / thicker / denser coats than their siblings. Even within the Quicksilver litter, in which all the pups were very similar to one another, there were still a few that had thicker / woollier coats, and a few that had quite short / sparse coats. Most of the pups had nice 'wolfy' fur, quite thick and long, and then there's Vala... who has a very husky-ish coat. :lol:
The future lies before you, like a path of pure white snow...
Be careful how you tread it, for every step will show.

BrettThomas
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by BrettThomas » Sun Jul 07, 2013 6:14 am

iamnic wrote:I agree with all of you, and I think climate is a HUGE factor.

I have Naima and Kona, and we're in Los Angeles--where it rarely dips below 70 F. Compared to their other siblings, my girls' coats looks significantly shorter, even moreso now that it's summer. They definitely don't have the opportunity to grow in that nice thick winter coat (though they still blow enough fur to make me think they did). Between the two of them, Naima has a longer/thicker coat than Kona, and it's been that way since they were pups. No clue why.
You have Tams in LA? I've never seen any around here. I want one so bad. Do you ever go to any local dog parks? I'd love to see them in person for a few minutes.