Average Weight at 8 weeks for a male Tamaskan Pup

Everything about Tamaskan Dogs that does not fit within the other topics in this section.
JenV
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Average Weight at 8 weeks for a male Tamaskan Pup

Post by JenV » Fri Sep 21, 2012 11:48 pm

I wasn't really sure where to post this question, so general seemed like a good fit. We're considering options on how to get our pup (whenever our time comes), home when they reach 8 weeks of age. The most satisfactory method for the moment seems like having either my husband or myself fly to pick up the pup and bringing them back as carry on so we can be with them and the journey would be as short as possible. From what I've gathered, most airlines have a weight limit of 20lbs for carry on pets and carriers combined. Does this seem feasible with an 8 week old male Tamaskan pup? I found the growth chart threads, but only a few 8 week weights were listed. Our plan B would be to make a trip of it and drive, but flying would be so much easier given our location. All input is much appreciated. :)
“The woman who follows the crowd will usually go no further than the crowd. The woman who walks alone is likely to find herself in places no one has ever been before.” ― Albert Einstein

Gaby
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Re: Average Weight at 8 weeks for a male Tamaskan Pup

Post by Gaby » Sat Sep 22, 2012 1:36 am

I think it depends on the lines where the dog is from. Which breeder did you choose?
My (female) puppy wheighed only 7 lbs at 8 weeks, so you could take two of them with you. :lol: But for example, the Saxon puppies maybe reached 20 lbs at 8 weeks, I don't know. I think it is best to ask the breeder and how heavy the breeding dogs were when they were eight weeks. ;)

JenV
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by JenV » Sat Sep 22, 2012 1:50 am

We've submitted a puppy application for a pup from the litter planned from Leilah at Sierra Tamaskan with Darwin from Hawthorne as a stud. After speaking with Alice last night our fingers are crossed for a successful AI with Leilah once she ovulates. Leilah is on the smaller side, but I'm not sure about Darwin's weight. Hmmmmmm...
“The woman who follows the crowd will usually go no further than the crowd. The woman who walks alone is likely to find herself in places no one has ever been before.” ― Albert Einstein

arianwenarie
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by arianwenarie » Sat Sep 22, 2012 2:08 am

JenV wrote:We've submitted a puppy application for a pup from the litter planned from Leilah at Sierra Tamaskan with Darwin from Hawthorne as a stud. After speaking with Alice last night our fingers are crossed for a successful AI with Leilah once she ovulates. Leilah is on the smaller side, but I'm not sure about Darwin's weight. Hmmmmmm...
If memory serves me correctly, then Hawthorne did not get Darwin as a puppy; rather, he was rehomed with Tracy & Ben at Hawthorne, so they might not know how much he weighed as a pup. :P Hawthorne might put you through to Darwin's breeder, J&J though... 8-) But if you're looking for current weight and all that good stuff, then I think Hawthorne has that info on their website.

HiTenshi16
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by HiTenshi16 » Sat Sep 22, 2012 4:06 am

I think Ulric weighed 25 lbs at 9 weeks old, would have gotten him sooner but his flight had to be delayed a week because of bad weather.

*edit*
Wanted also to mention that Ulric is Darwin's uncle.

AZDehlin
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by AZDehlin » Sat Sep 22, 2012 6:25 am

My Zephyr was 21 pounds at 8 weeks and one day old. I don't think you will be able to judge this until the pups are born and it is calculated how much weight they are putting on a day.

Karen
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by Karen » Sat Sep 22, 2012 9:54 am

Kal-le and Magu were about 12 lbs.

Every airline has it own rules, so just ask them! Kal-le was allowed as carry on luggage as long as he was under a certain weight and his crate was just a maximum size.
Our US pups al flew as cargo, so that worked different.

Tarheel
Tamtastic (Apprentice)
Tamtastic (Apprentice)

Post by Tarheel » Sun Sep 23, 2012 1:52 pm

Tina flew to Germany to get Jaeger. Jaeger was 15 pounds and the Airline approved soft sided pet carrier was rated for 17 pounds, and was intended to fit under the passenger seat. Although Jaegers weight was under the limit to ride in the pet carrier in the passenger compartment, there was no way possible he could fit in the pet carrier. Lucky for Tina, she was able to buy an airline approved kennel from the airlines and Jaeger then rode in cargo only being charged for the crate and an excess baggage fee.

Another option is for your breeder to ship the puppy to you. This is a lot less hassle than buying airline tickets and worrying about crate size and if the pup can fly with you in the passenger compartment. Your breeder should be able to arrange for a shipping flight for your pup through an airline, and all you have to do is pay for the shipping expenses and pick your pup at the airline cargo pick up office when he or she arrives.
This is the time you and your breeder need to work out details. All airlines have restrictions and you need to be aware of them. There are heat restrictions for the hot months and cold restrictions for the cold months. If my math is right, you may be looing to get a pup in late January through February, the coldest time of year in the Northwest USA. You might be best driving as not only do you get to meet your breeder, but the mother of your pup and the other littermates. Alot can be gained by an in home visit and pick up.
John Bannow
Tarheel Tamaskan
Committee of Breeders

Hawthorne
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Hawthorne » Mon Sep 24, 2012 3:39 am

I also just dealt with this for our Yellowstone litter. We flew three puppies to CA, and all rode cargo. No airlines will let you take a puppy as a carry - on, even though (at the time) Continental said so on their website. John is correct that there are restrictions for the crate size and type that is allowed on board. And a 8 week old Tam pup would probably chew through a soft sided crate in about five seconds :)
We flew two males and one female to CA--all were over the allowed limit for weight to ride in cargo. All three made it safe and sound to CA. :)
For the dogs that can ride in the cabin--think teacup varieties. :lol:
Tracy Graziano
http://www.hawthornetamaskan.com

bark as if no one can hear you
catch the ball on the fly
lick like there's no end to kissing
sleep on a sofa nearby
jump like the sky is the limit
sit by the fire with friends
stay with the ones who love you
run like the road never ends

Hawthorne
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Hawthorne » Mon Sep 24, 2012 3:44 am

arianwenarie wrote:
JenV wrote:We've submitted a puppy application for a pup from the litter planned from Leilah at Sierra Tamaskan with Darwin from Hawthorne as a stud. After speaking with Alice last night our fingers are crossed for a successful AI with Leilah once she ovulates. Leilah is on the smaller side, but I'm not sure about Darwin's weight. Hmmmmmm...
If memory serves me correctly, then Hawthorne did not get Darwin as a puppy; rather, he was rehomed with Tracy & Ben at Hawthorne, so they might not know how much he weighed as a pup. :P Hawthorne might put you through to Darwin's breeder, J&J though... 8-) But if you're looking for current weight and all that good stuff, then I think Hawthorne has that info on their website.
Yes, you're correct. We rescued Darwin when he was 5 months old. I may have vet records from the previous owner, though. I'm not at home until Wednesday--on the road for work--so I can check then or you can email J&J.
Tracy Graziano

sleep on a sofa nearby

ellenmumme
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by ellenmumme » Sat Dec 08, 2012 10:25 pm

I recently just got my 8week olds female tamaskan and she only weighs 3.9 pounds. She was sick the first two day from the plain ride. I gave her some chicken but she only ate a little. How can I get her to gain weight?

Nino
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Nino » Sun Dec 09, 2012 12:26 am

ellenmumme

Could be rather important to know where you got your pup from.. Is it a registered Tamaskan (and Tamaskan breeder)?
>> Nino <<

TerriHolt
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by TerriHolt » Sun Dec 09, 2012 12:34 am

ellenmumme wrote:I recently just got my 8week olds female tamaskan and she only weighs 3.9 pounds. She was sick the first two day from the plain ride. I gave her some chicken but she only ate a little. How can I get her to gain weight?
3.9 pounds? You sure? :?

Edit: And You sure she was 8 weeks?

Edit 2: Sorry, not implying you don't know anything. Just a bit shocked by the weight :oops:

There’s a battle between two wolves inside us all.
One is Evil. It’s anger, jealousy, greed, resentment, inferiority, lies and ego.
The other is Good. It’s joy, peace, love, hope, humility, kindness and truth.

The wolf that wins? The one you feed!

~ Cherokee Proverb

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity... I'm not sure about the former.

~ Albert Einstein

ellenmumme
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by ellenmumme » Sun Dec 09, 2012 12:39 am

I got her from a registry breeder from north Carolina. She was born on October. 1st took her to the vet yesterday and they said 3.9

TerriHolt
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by TerriHolt » Sun Dec 09, 2012 12:42 am

I don't mean to be a pest but which breeder? if you don' mind me asking... Curious ;)

There’s a battle between two wolves inside us all.
One is Evil. It’s anger, jealousy, greed, resentment, inferiority, lies and ego.
The other is Good. It’s joy, peace, love, hope, humility, kindness and truth.

The wolf that wins? The one you feed!

~ Cherokee Proverb

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity... I'm not sure about the former.

~ Albert Einstein

HiTenshi16
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by HiTenshi16 » Sun Dec 09, 2012 1:37 am

ellenmumme wrote:I got her from a registry breeder from north Carolina. She was born on October. 1st took her to the vet yesterday and they said 3.9
The only registered breeder in North Carolina is Tarheel Tamaskans, and they only had two litters this year, August 21 (the Pirate litter), and September 1 (the Avenger litter). A Tamaskan puppy that young should weigh closer to 20 pounds!

I'm sorry to say, but it sounds like you got your pup from a puppy mill or backyard breeder, might only be part Tamaskan or not a Tamaskan at all :( (but this does not make your girl any less special!)

Remember while helping her gain weight, you don't want to fatten her up too fast. You can try feeding her wet food since they tend to have more protein, meat, and natural fats, add cottage cheese, egg, tinned fish (usually the smellier, the better), meat scraps. Be careful with grains, I've heard some who have gotten their dogs from the puppy mill have had stomach problems.

Here is a site with some recipes that might help http://www.heroswaggintrain.com/health/malnourished.htm

ellenmumme
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by ellenmumme » Sun Dec 09, 2012 2:50 am

Right puppy kennel is the name. Even if she is from a puppy mill I still want to help her feel better.

ellenmumme
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by ellenmumme » Sun Dec 09, 2012 3:00 am

Thank you for the recipe website I will try that tomorrow. But issue is how do i get her to eat it. Yesterday she had a little chicken but wouldnt eat anything today. I tried some wet puppy food, she didn't take to it. Should I try puppy formula? She also hasn't pooped in almost a day is that okay?

HiTenshi16
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by HiTenshi16 » Sun Dec 09, 2012 3:47 am

Have you had the vet check for worms? If she has not pooed yet, she is not getting enough food in her system. What brand if food are you feeding? Try cracking a raw egg over some food, may be messy but also try hand feeding her.

If she does not take to the recipes and still does not eat, it is best to take her to the vet again as they should know what is best to do.

ellenmumme
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by ellenmumme » Sun Dec 09, 2012 4:33 am

No I didn't but she has had her worms shots every time she is supposed to. The food she came with which is life's abundance. Do you suggest a different brand? I am completely open to anything. I did try hand feeding her but she just smells it and turns away.

HiTenshi16
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by HiTenshi16 » Sun Dec 09, 2012 5:17 am

You have vet records proving all her worming and vaccinations? I would still have your vet check, better safe than sorry.
I would also definitely switch brands, you could try buying a small bag of Blue Buffalo Wilderness Chicken Recipe for Puppies and see how she takes to that. I fed the duck recipe to one of my rescues and that helped fatten him up as he was pretty skinny when he came to me.

ellenmumme
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by ellenmumme » Sun Dec 09, 2012 9:35 pm

Yay She ate 10 peices of her food last night! Yes, i have her shot records. At least now I know she has some food in her stomach. I'm going to give her some more chicken to see if she will eat it. Thanks for all the help. It is greatly appreciated.

Nino
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Nino » Sun Dec 09, 2012 9:39 pm

I am really sorry to hear your struggle with your pup.. unfortunately it is not the first time hearing things like that from this "breeder" :(
I am also sorry to disappoint you regarding the person being registered.. the only place that farm is registered is with their own make believe club.. supported by no one :?

I put olive oil (or the like in the category of food oil) on my Tamaskan's dry food to make her interest in the food bigger, have done this she was small and it has helped just enough for her to gain good weight and maintain it..

I would if I were you have your pup dewormed even though you say that it already have been at the people you got it from, as it is so with worms that even thoug the pup was trested the one day the next it coulf get it again..

I would also suggest you look into the grain-free foods, such as Orijen, Taste of the Wild, Wolfsblut etc. or brands along thede maybe only with fish or bird, keeping in mind your pup might have food allergies..

Good luck and do keep us updated!
Also.. PICTURESSSSS!!!! :D :D :D
>> Nino <<

Sylvaen
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Sylvaen » Sun Dec 09, 2012 9:45 pm

Sorry to hear this... she is VERY underweight for her age!!! I just did the conversion (lbs to kg) and she only weighs 1.7 KG at 8 weeks old... this is absolutely SHOCKING!!! She weighs less than a 2 week old Tamaskan pup should weigh! On average, Tamaskan pups gain 1 KG per each week: 500g at birth, 1KG by 7 days old, 2KG by 14 days old, 3KG by 21 days old, etc... so by 8 weeks old Tamaskan pups usually weigh around 8 KG (17.6 lbs) though anywhere from 15-20 lbs is normal, depending on the size of the litter (number of pups) and the weight / height of the parents. I really hope she will survive but she will need intensive treatment!! Anti-parasitic medication is the first step (de-worming, etc) but you should also get your vet to run a few blood tests to check for anemia, etc - she may require an IV drip for extra nutrients / vitimins and emergency intervention. It is important that she is kept warm since she is so underweight and won't be able to regulate her body temperature properly so she could easily catch a secondary infection (respiratory disease, etc) which her immunity wouldn't be able to fight because of her weakened body condition. Be sure to offer her lots of delicious foods (stinky / yummy foods) to encourage her to eat - 'boring old kibble' just won't cut it for now - she needs high calorie food to get her to start gaining weight ASAP (ask your vet for Calo-Pet paste if they have it)... just also be careful because these foods will likely result in diarrhea, which will cause her to loose more weight (and get very dehydrated) so in that case she will need an IV drip to keep her hydrated so that her body doesn't shut down completely. Tamaskan Dogs cannot really process dry food (kibble) that contains grains (wheat, corn, starch, other 'filler' materials, etc) and it usually results in very bad gas and diarrhea (causing weight loss) so it's important to feed her with grain-free kibble or BARF diet (see the diet section here on the forum for more info). Good luck, please keep us posted!!
The future lies before you, like a path of pure white snow...
Be careful how you tread it, for every step will show.

ladyford
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by ladyford » Sun Dec 09, 2012 11:24 pm

ellenmumme: There is a facebook group for owners of American Tamaskan puppies from RightPuppy Kennel. The group is called American Tamaskans. If you would like to join, we would love to have you and a few of us got puppies that were very small and would be willing to talk with you about it more.

ellenmumme
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by ellenmumme » Mon Dec 10, 2012 4:38 am

She enjoyed some more chicken tonight. Now hoping she will poop soon.I'm going to take her to a different vet tomorrow.

Nino
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Nino » Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:15 am

ellenmumme wrote:She enjoyed some more chicken tonight. Now hoping she will poop soon.I'm going to take her to a different vet tomorrow.
good idea :-)
happy to hear she is more interested in eating.. you should also try to give her food several more times a day, at her weight I would try every 2-3 hours to make sure she gets enough and has a little time to process in between :)
>> Nino <<

Hawthorne
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Hawthorne » Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:20 pm

Any progress with the pup? Was she even weaned? Poor thing. My pups were between 14 and 20 pounds at 8 weeks old. Well, Raven might have been 21 ;)
Hope she's gaining now. <3
Tracy Graziano

sleep on a sofa nearby

Tiantai
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Tiantai » Sun Dec 30, 2012 3:54 am

Hmm, makes me want to stick to my original plan, driving all the way down to NC to pick up my future pup, that way I would not have to worry about all this shipping and cargo stuff even if it means that I'll be having a lot of break stops for the dog.

Katlin
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Katlin » Sun Dec 30, 2012 5:34 am

Tiantai wrote:Hmm, makes me want to stick to my original plan, driving all the way down to NC to pick up my future pup, that way I would not have to worry about all this shipping and cargo stuff even if it means that I'll be having a lot of break stops for the dog.
Have you been approved for a puppy? :|

I hope the little gal is doing ok! Please update us when you can... :)
Polarose Tamaskan
Polardog Outfitters
Owner of Sierra Kaweah RN RI TDI TRN TTDN CRN-MCL @ Polarose

Tiantai
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Tiantai » Sun Dec 30, 2012 7:45 pm

Not yet, I plan to go pick up the dog in person, but I still need to wait another 4 years before I can even get a dog at all considering that I'm still in school and my parents do not want any dogs under their roof right now. :oops:

Quoting my dad:
"I don't want any dog hair or animal crap in this house or in our yard, until you move out and rent your own house, you are not allowed to own ANY dogs or cats under my roof!"

I WILL go for a screening with John anyways after grad and before moving out. :mrgreen:

Hawthorne
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Hawthorne » Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:52 pm

I don't think shipping has anything to do with puppies losing tremendous amounts of weight. All three that I shipped last time were just fine.

I just want to point out, too, that smaller and smaller dogs can indicate inbreeding. (Assuming all other things are equal--healthy pup of the correct age to go to a new home).
Tracy Graziano

sleep on a sofa nearby

Ryphen
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by Ryphen » Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:57 am

Various congenital defects also have a way of stunting growth.

Bigblazer
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by Bigblazer » Mon May 04, 2015 4:23 am

I got my tamaskan from blustag, a breeder in North Carolina they told me he was 8 weeks old but he weighs 6.6 pounds.

Sylvaen
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Sylvaen » Mon May 04, 2015 8:58 am

Bigblazer wrote:I got my tamaskan from blustag, a breeder in North Carolina they told me he was 8 weeks old but he weighs 6.6 pounds.
That breeder is a notorious puppy mill, which used to go by the name of RightPuppy Kennel.
They usually sell underage pups that are very sick and/or have internal parasites.
http://www.tamaskansagainstpuppymills.c ... list/c16bq

HiTenshi16
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by HiTenshi16 » Mon May 04, 2015 5:27 pm

Sylvaen wrote:
Bigblazer wrote:I got my tamaskan from blustag, a breeder in North Carolina they told me he was 8 weeks old but he weighs 6.6 pounds.
That breeder is a notorious puppy mill, which used to go by the name of RightPuppy Kennel.
They usually sell underage pups that are very sick and/or have internal parasites.
http://www.tamaskansagainstpuppymills.c ... list/c16bq
Seconding what Sylvaen says. Be aware that the dogs from Blustag in North Carolina are NOT Tamaskan dogs, but rather mixed breeds falsely advertised as Tamaskans. This is not the first to hear of a puppy coming from them being so underweight. A Tamaskan puppy should weigh somewhere around 15 lbs - 20 lbs at 8 weeks of age and should be about the size of a full grown Jack Russle Terrier for comparison.

Bigblazer
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by Bigblazer » Tue May 05, 2015 1:56 am

This is shocking news, i guess i read the reviews they themselves had made about their kennel. When i first met him you could tell he had been living in his own excrament they didnt even bother to wash him. Although i do love the puppy i received he is very sweet i feel ripped off, i do think he is underage he acts like a 5-6 week old puppy and looks like it also. Is it possible to post pictures on here of what an actual tamaskan puppy should look like? I went to the vet an hour after recieving him and he said other than being underweight he seems ok.

arianwenarie
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by arianwenarie » Tue May 05, 2015 5:34 am

Bigblazer wrote:This is shocking news, i guess i read the reviews they themselves had made about their kennel. When i first met him you could tell he had been living in his own excrament they didnt even bother to wash him. Although i do love the puppy i received he is very sweet i feel ripped off, i do think he is underage he acts like a 5-6 week old puppy and looks like it also. Is it possible to post pictures on here of what an actual tamaskan puppy should look like? I went to the vet an hour after recieving him and he said other than being underweight he seems ok.
First off, warm welcome to the forum.

RightPuppy Kennel/Blustag (NC)'s puppy return policy is a joke, so it may not be something you want to consider. I am assuming you plan on keeping the pup. :) (Please post pictures of him - we love puppies!!) Good to hear that there's nothing wrong with him other than being underweight.

To give you a perspective on the weights and look of a Tam puppy around 4 weeks and 5-6 weeks, take a look at one of Saxon's threads on one of their litters here: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=4770 At a rough glance, it seems like only the pups weights at 4 weeks were posted (in kg, since they're in Bulgaria). However, I believe there are 5 week, 6 week and 7 week pictures in there. If you have Facebook, I also encourage you to look through the various Tam breeder pages to look at their pups. At the top of my head, Sylvaen and White Elk have tons of pictures and videos.

I also encourage you to join the American Tamaskans page (here) to connect with other RightPuppy Kennel owners and compare your experiences. Good resource to have in case you run into any similar problems they have faced - in other words, a support group.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask. We're a friendly bunch here...hope this helps! Please keep us posted on your boy..definitely looking forward to seeing some puppy pictures. :D

HiTenshi16
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by HiTenshi16 » Tue May 05, 2015 7:44 am

Bigblazer wrote:This is shocking news, i guess i read the reviews they themselves had made about their kennel. When i first met him you could tell he had been living in his own excrament they didnt even bother to wash him. Although i do love the puppy i received he is very sweet i feel ripped off, i do think he is underage he acts like a 5-6 week old puppy and looks like it also. Is it possible to post pictures on here of what an actual tamaskan puppy should look like? I went to the vet an hour after recieving him and he said other than being underweight he seems ok.
Here is a photo of my Tamaskan puppy at 8 weeks old the day I picked her up from her breeder, next to me my Tamaskan adult (stands at 25" at the shoulder).
image.jpg
Here is what she looked like at 5 weeks old.
image.jpg
You, and many others, were indeed ripped off from that place, and they will continue to scam others as long as people decide to buy from them. All that can be done is those who did fall for them is help spread the word about them. That site Sylvaen posted has a page dedicated to others' reviews, you just have to email it to them (they will keep your information like email secret).

Do post some photos of your puppy in the 'Other Pets' section, we would still love to watch him grow and hope that no issues arise.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Katlin
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Katlin » Wed May 06, 2015 12:55 am

Wylie at 5 weeks
309528_10151629759934418_1422283851_n.jpg
Wylie at 8.5 weeks with my cat
550097_10151666509849418_370238543_n.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Polarose Tamaskan
Polardog Outfitters
Owner of Sierra Kaweah RN RI TDI TRN TTDN CRN-MCL @ Polarose

Sylvaen
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Sylvaen » Wed May 06, 2015 9:38 am

As a general rule of thumb, I find that a male Tamaskan pup usually weighs around 8 kg (17.637 lbs) at 8 weeks old. Usually they weigh around 500g at birth, and then at 1 week old they weigh 1 kg (1000g) and every week after that they double in weight... so at 2 weeks they weigh around 2 kg, and 3 weeks they weigh around 3 kg (and so forth). It's a rough estimation and female pups are usually quite a bit lighter, but you also get the occasional jumbo male who weighs 20+ lbs at 8 weeks old. :)

6.6 lbs (2.99371 kg) is extremely underweight for an 8 week old Tamaskan pup... I've had 3 week old pups that have weighed more than that... :( :(
I really hope your pup won't suffer from any long-term effects due to severe malnourishment, such as stunted growth... if your pup has any issues with diarrhea, definitely get him tested for giardia as many pups from that puppy mill go to their new homes with giardia, along with other parasites (which can be responsible for low body-weight).