Just a talk about small ears.....

Everything about Tamaskan Dogs that does not fit within the other topics in this section.
weylyn

Just a talk about small ears.....

Post by weylyn » Thu Jul 26, 2012 8:11 am

Because there are still people who want to believe that all wolfs have small ears ..........

Compare the ears of the Eastern Timber Wolf with the Timber wolf
Eastern Timber
Timber

This wolf is running around in the woods by Yellowstone

And what about the Ethiopian wolf?
and the red wolf?
and less known the maned wolf?

and there are many more

so yes all wolves have small ears :lol: :roll:

TerriHolt
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Re: Just a talk about small ears.....

Post by TerriHolt » Thu Jul 26, 2012 5:40 pm

Wow, never realized there are is such a wide variation in ears... Well obviously i did but not really seen comparison in the same place... Thanks :P

There’s a battle between two wolves inside us all.
One is Evil. It’s anger, jealousy, greed, resentment, inferiority, lies and ego.
The other is Good. It’s joy, peace, love, hope, humility, kindness and truth.

The wolf that wins? The one you feed!

~ Cherokee Proverb

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity... I'm not sure about the former.

~ Albert Einstein

weylyn

Post by weylyn » Thu Jul 26, 2012 6:03 pm

only the gray and the eastern timber wolf have really small ears. all the rest really are very different in size and most have much bigger ears than most people realize...... Also know that they need the big ears for the hunt....

Hawthorne
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Hawthorne » Thu Jul 26, 2012 8:51 pm

weylyn wrote:only the gray and the eastern timber wolf have really small ears. all the rest really are very different in size and most have much bigger ears than most people realize...... Also know that they need the big ears for the hunt....
The better to hear you with my dear! :D
Tracy Graziano
http://www.hawthornetamaskan.com

bark as if no one can hear you
catch the ball on the fly
lick like there's no end to kissing
sleep on a sofa nearby
jump like the sky is the limit
sit by the fire with friends
stay with the ones who love you
run like the road never ends

Nino
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Nino » Thu Jul 26, 2012 9:58 pm

The problem I see isn't the size of the ears we have but the furring of them..
as I see it the closest to the furring we have is the Timber
>> Nino <<

Tiantai
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Tiantai » Thu Jul 26, 2012 10:02 pm

Nino wrote:The problem I see isn't the size of the ears we have but the furring of them..
I guess it's the result of the dog adapting to a domestic environment for many generations so that don't need too many of that furring in their ears but the wolves who live outdoor all four seasons will require them. On the brighter side, at least it makes it slightly less difficult to clean the ears of the dog

In response to the first post:
As for the maned wolf, in my personal opinion I don't think it's appropriate to compare the ears of that one to the Grey wolves as the Maned wolves are not related to the true Grey wolves to begin with. It's like comparing the paws of a fox with a squirrel (no offence).

Red wolves and Eastern wolves on the other hand don't surprise me their big ears as I personally believe those two to be coywolves who are descended from Grey wolf and coyote crosses from very far back. Some experiemental crossbreeding of the Mackenzie Valley wolves with the coyotes conducted in the past did show the offsprings to maintain a fair level of coyote traits of which a lot of those coywolves kept to long ears from the coyotes. Now don't get me wrong, I'm NOT saying that all wolves with long ears inherited the trait from a coyotes, that's not true, but it's just my theory that the long ear in the Red and Eastern are from coyotes. In addition, the Mexican wolves and the island wolves from Vancouver are known to have those long ears as well. Many subspecies of the Grey wolves do have those long doggy-like ears, especially those found ion the Middle East and the Far East.

weylyn

Post by weylyn » Fri Jul 27, 2012 12:30 am

I just wanted to show that it just ain't plain that wolves have small ears. That just isn't true and most think it is because most people have the gray in mind if you talk about wolves. Many European wolf species also do not have such a small ears like most gray's do ;)

And like you say Lucas it is the environment that makes them to adjust the fur around and in the ears and that doesn't even take generations long. By full wolves that just sometimes needs one season ;)

darazan
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by darazan » Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:26 pm

I know that this was a topic that I'm almost a year late for but regarding not only ear size, but overall look which species of wolf are we trying to go for the look of?
-Crystal

balto13
Tamtastic (Apprentice)
Tamtastic (Apprentice)

Post by balto13 » Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:05 pm

weylyn wrote:I just wanted to show that it just ain't plain that wolves have small ears. That just isn't true and most think it is because most people have the gray in mind if you talk about wolves. Many European wolf species also do not have such a small ears like most gray's do ;)

And like you say Lucas it is the environment that makes them to adjust the fur around and in the ears and that doesn't even take generations long. By full wolves that just sometimes needs one season ;)

I like this post, because I think most people have one set image of the wolf and don't realize that there are a large varieties, depending on environment (I assume). I am not too worried about ear size
Nino wrote:The problem I see isn't the size of the ears we have but the furring of them..
I do agree with this point about furred ears, though I have no idea about the genetics behind furred ears :oops: sometimes I feel like such a simpleton when it comes to this whole breeding thing ... I might have to go pester some people :lol:

JenTehLuv
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by JenTehLuv » Thu Apr 11, 2013 7:08 am

I personally don't mind the size of the ears Tams have right now, but furring them would be good as well as working on the coat itself. I'm not sure if its due to climate differences but I notice many tams in the US are much sleeker in their coats compared to the ones in the UK.

AZDehlin
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by AZDehlin » Thu Apr 11, 2013 7:22 am

My Zephyr's are really well furred in the winter but then again we spend a lot a lot of time outside and I live in one of the colder/snowiest places in the lower 48... its mid April and we are expecting 8-12 inches of snow... winter will ever end. I really do not think size is the issue though it really is the fur... even timber wolves ears look larger in the summer when they loose their thick winter coat. I do not think tamaskan in Florida or other warm climates are going to ever have these dense/thick coats including the ears. I am more worried about the curls in tails then the ears... no wolf has a curl in it's tail.

weylyn

Post by weylyn » Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:19 am

I also fall more for concentrate more for the tail